The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
Brom

1420! writing a fanfic and need names and/or plot

Hey, i'm writing a fanfic for my own entertainment and i'm wondering if anyone has any good name ideas for a human (or half human and whatever other race) character and an elf character. i'd also like to hear anything anyone has to say that they thing would be cool in a fanfic that takes place before the books and doesn't have any of the characters. i'm not going to post it anywhere because it doesn't have any of the characters though, it just takes place in middle earth.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Nalana has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nalana
Tolkien

Hey Brom. I see that this is your first post, and that you're new. I'm practically new here too. This post should actually be in the fan fic section on this forum. But I'll let you use my name, Nalana, if you need a female elf name. Nalana means "in gossamer green". hope that helps any way possible.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:02 PM   #3
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

First of all, I'd llike to say hello, Brom, and welcome to the Barrowdowns!! May your rest be long and peaceful.

What sort of Elf name are you looking for? I have an Elven dictionary, but I first need to know~

1. Is this a female or male elf?
2. What sort of name~ What do you want the name yo be related to?~ Example~ Lissiel (Sweet Star)~ You would use this for a sweet, caring person.

I'm not sure about human names....Do you the person to be from Rohan or Gondor?....I have a Rohan dictionary, so tell me what you are looking for, and I will give you a name.~ Example~ My Rohan name is Siorra, which means "Silver Star"; when I run, my black hair supposedly flows behind me, and I look like a shooting star (this is not in real life, but in Rohan).

Tips on Writing a Fanfic~

Be true to the races Tolkien created, don't have elves, etc. talking in slang and wearing mini-skirts.

Be descriptive, include tons of details.

Develop your characters, not all at once, but, first tell who they are and about them a bit, and then slowly ellaborate them on through the story.

Sorry that I have been writing so much, I always get carried away.

Good luck on your story!! If you need anymore help, please, don't hesitate to send a P.M. (Private Message) to me. See ya around!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:58 PM   #4
Brom

Sting

oh, i didn't know there was a fanfic section. oh well.
um- the elven character is going to be female and skilled in healing and some fighting.
and the human guy is a fighter who gets injured by a ringwraith-- so my story takes place just around the time the hobbits get to bree (and it's probably not "historically" acurate but too bad. i'm not planning to post it anywhere anyway).
and the fighter might be say- half some other race or partly some other race, but i don't know. but he somehow he gets stabbed by a black rider.
so names or ideas would be cool.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:39 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hey there Brom! Have fun here and don't stress a good plot in fanfic, it's not that big of a deal, just write it how you want it to be and be happy with it because it is your own. There's my only advice, one reason I've never tried to write fanfic is I stink at it. Oh, actually, one more thing- do a funny one, all those serious ones get too sappy. That is just my opinion though! Do what you want! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #6
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome both of you, I didn't know there was a fanfic section either, must be well hidden [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

It's you're fanfic I couldn't really give you plot ideas on it (gee, I'm useful!) the other people who've already posted would probably be good people to PM about names, then there's always the middle-earth name thing on the main site.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:30 PM   #7
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

First, there is no fanfiction forum here. The closest thing is the RPGs (which I encourage everyone to join [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Why don't you want to post it, Brom? If you write it, why don't you want us to read it?

As for names, I get mine out of the glossary in the back of the Silm.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Boots

Well, I'm not too good at Tolkien names, but if you were writing ANYTHING else, and needed creative names, I know TONS of Japanimé names you could use. I love Japanese names, and you could send me a PM if you want some, male or female. Just a suggestion, I know it might not have to do with LOTR, but I can help anyway!

Welcome to the afterlife! Having fun?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:10 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For those of you who have not yet seen the Barrow-Downs fan fiction, here it is. Enjoy reading!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote