The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2001, 01:57 PM   #1
Blaster31

Question Question about Arwen and the afterlife

I should probably know this, but its been awhile since I read the Silmarillion, where I expect this answer probably lies.

I'd like to know where did Arwen's spirit go when she died after going back to Lorien woods after grieving Aragorn/Elessar. I presume her spirit goes somewhere else other then the Undying Lands, since she chose mortality. Will she go where Aragorn's spirit resides and meet him there (wherever "there" is) or will she go to some place set aside for elven dead and slain (and if the latter is correct but not the former, will she and Aragorn ever meet up again in the afterlife?); and in Tolkiens world, will she ever meet up again with her still-alive Elven kin?

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: Scott31 ]
Old 12-29-2001, 03:13 PM   #2
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well, Beren and Tinuviel met once more according to legend, so I don't see why Arwen and Aragorn wouldn't do the same, give nthat the legends are true...
Old 12-29-2001, 03:36 PM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Because she chose to marry Aragorn and remain in Middle Earth with him, Arwen became mortal. When she died in Lorien, she died a mortal woman, and thus the fate of her spirit after death was the same as Aragorn's.

After death, the spirits of mortals go to the halls of Mandos in Valinor, and after a short while they leave Arda (the world) forever. Where they go is largely unknown, though it is thought they go to meet Eru Iluvatar.

When elves are slain by either violence or grief, their spirits go to the Halls of Mandos in Valinor. After a period of waiting, some are reincarnated and allowed to live in Valinor, while others (such as Feanor) remain in Mandos until the end of the world.

As to the question of Arwen ever meeting up again with her Elven kin (such as Elrond) after her death, the answer is not known. While mortals leave the world when they die, Elves are bound to it until it ends. The fate of the Elves after the end of the world is uncertain. Tolkien writes a little on this subject in 'Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth'. In the Athrabeth, Finrod Felagund says he believes Elves and Men will meet again after the end of the world, and that men will help to heal Morgoth's marring of Arda, though he admits it is no more than a hope.

-Voronwe
Old 12-29-2001, 03:36 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

I would certainly hope that Arwen and Aragorn meet again! With the sacrifice that Arwen made, it would only seem fair. As for meeting her kin, perhaps there are such things as "visits" in the Tolkien afterlife. If not...too bad.