The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #81
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I played in a game once as a hunter and an ord (don't remember who) fake revealed as the hunter and basically forced me to come forward. So yeah, anything is possible, reveals should always be approached carefully, they can't always be trusted right away. And having Targaryen reveal this early wouldn't really be that beneficial, best to save it to closer to the end or give them a shot at getting a baddie. I'm completely comfortable saying that if someone claims to be Targaryen this early in the game, I will be very suspicious of them (even if they are at risk of being lynched).
Haha I think that was me!

As I remember, I was on the verge of being lynched near dead-line, and the Village was losing handsomely, so I hoped that that fake reveal would save me (it did) and that we would get a wolf instead of me (we didn't). Then I was lynched the next day for being slippery and the village lost.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #82
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm on my lunch break right now, so I've had time to read through the thread, but I'll probably have to post, vote, and run pretty quickly here. I've only gotten impressions on some of you. I'll note down what I've got, but this game is too big for a bunch of people not to slip right past my radar, so I'm not going to bother listing the people I don't have thoughts on.

Zil: His tone is a little formal in the way it gets sometimes when he's evil.
Lommy: Has been logical and helpful, and seems genuine enough about it.
Wilwa: Has been focusing a lot of the attention on the hunter and bear, but since that is the only topic of conversation that's really stuck so far, I can't exactly fault her for that. Yes, the hunter and the bear aren't our priority - but it's better to have people talking and leaving tracks behind than sitting quietly, all agreeing that the wolves are our priorities. Wilwa looks pretty good in my eyes.
Galadriel: Her tone strikes me as a teeny bit too cautious, too thought-out. I'll keep an eye on her, but I wouldn't vote her yet.
WythDryden: Welcome to Werewolf!
Rikae: Has been very reasonable and logical. Her tone seems pretty calm, not too cautious, which either means she's not a wolf or that none of her packmates have attracted attention yet.
Mac: Strikes me as being fairly genuine in his tone. Seems to me to be more innocent than not so far
Gil: Nothing he's said has really caught my eye as being suspicious.
skip: I don't like his vote. Like Rikae said, it's a easy vote, and looks more like a wolf trying for an easy Day 1 lynch than an innocent with a genuine suspicion.

My lunch break is almost over by this point, so I'll have to vote really soon. Probably for skip unless something came up unexpectedly.

EDIT: xed since Wilwa's #76
Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #83
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alright, I've got to get back to work.

++skip

Good luck, village!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #84
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Even if the wolves enjoy the presence of the bear, I'm sure they will enjoy it even more if we spend our time trying to kill him instead of going after them, thus increasing their likelihood of staying alive and then gift-wrapping them a cobbler while on top of it.
The thing is, even if people think we should be "going after" the Bear more than the Lions, or vice versa, saying that is one thing, doing it is another. How exactly are we supposed to go after one over the other? Especially this early in the game, when for the most part we are shooting blind with regards to both. The only instance I can think of where we would be purposefully choosing to lynch one over the other is if the Seer reveals the Bear and a Lion (wouldn't that be something?!) and we have to decide who to lynch first (I would say Bear, because getting rid of the two night kills is worth getting stuck with a cobbler).

So anyway, deciding whether we should be targeting one over the other isn't really all that productive to me. The methods of discovering either will be fairly similar I think (kill the bad guys!), and lynching the Bear would not be terrible to the point where we should be actively trying to avoid doing it.

(3 more hours, if I'm correct?)

x'ed 3 pages! x'ed with Skip and Lottie
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #85
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Three pages? Three pages? THREE PAGES!

I hate you all.

++Lottie

Because that was a long list that rubbed me the wrong way and I don't have time to find anything better to base a vote on. Sorry, love.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #86
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Two thoughts for starters...

It's funny people speculate so enthusiastically whether we should go for the lions or the bear - I mean it would be nice if we were that good that we spotted them just like that in the first place and could then choose which one to lynch first... That said, there can eventually be trails that lead from one lion to another but the bear is a shot in the dark unless his/her lover is in trouble. So let's just go for suspicious behaviour first and make more informed decisions when we have something to base them on.

Mac Connington's - or should we call him Mr. Griff - toying with the Targaryen-revealment is probably the only thing that caught my eye thus far. Although I'm not sure I can see a reason for anyone to do that kind of thing (be it a correct or a false hint). *baffled*

EDIT: X'd with all on page 3.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #87
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Anyway, I have to vote now since I probably won't have time to do it later. This is of course a stab in the dark but I'll go with:
I daresay an ex-Lannister imp knows how to stab people in the dark. I'm confused how he's come up with those opinions on Gil. That is, I disagree with them, but it's an early random vote that looks innocent. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing schemed about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I just can't tell if the villains are likely to be engaged in this discussion or whether they'll sit at the sides.
There's always a motive for the wolves to stir up discussion and be involved in other roles besides their own. It distracts us from the task on the day...lynching them. There are certainly lions in this Targaryan/bear/lovers/hunters discussion. It's not all beneficial to them however...

1. Being Day 1 it's hard to spot the good plotting from bad plotting, best to just keep everyone talking and hope time will reveal the good from the bad before it's too late.

2. With discussion being all about the other roles today, such as the bear and Targaryan, it makes it far easier the more helpful, and unquestioned allegiance, roles to lay low and avoid both the wolves and the bear at night.

It may make finding our way through the days cruel...innocents will be killed mercilessly, but it's all for the greater good.

In any event I have to vote:

++Inzil

*disappears with no further words*

(Edit: Ok, not the last word because I started this and we were at 2 pages, and I finish now we're a good start onto 3 )
Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #88
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
I would say the hunter revealing could be useful later in the game, when known innocents are more of a headache to the baddies. If the hunter revealed now, they could just bide their time and get him whenever.
Quote:
Well, that they could get him whenever isn't quite true. As long as the Ranger is about, a known Ordo should count on protection every other night and going after the revealed Targaryan would be a 50/50 risk of getting a blocked kill.
This is assuming the known ordo/Targaryan can survive through the off night. I agree with Zil. Right now there is no reason for the hunter to reveal. I'm not sure why skip thinks having the hunter step forward is good. We have a known innocent who knows as much as every ordo in this game which at this point is nothing.

Last edited by Kitanna; 06-25-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: formatting quotes
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #89
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quick question, sorry if it's a silly one, but it's been a long time since I read the books:

is "for the greater good" some kind of ASOIAF reference?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #90
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Quick question, sorry if it's a silly one, but it's been a long time since I read the books:

is "for the greater good" some kind of ASOIAF reference?
Whenever I say "the greater good" I think of the Simon Pegg movie Hot Fuzz, when they all murmur in a monotone voice "the greater good..." so when I was talking I couldn't help but add that reference.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #91
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Ok, so I guess it's time to start focusing on individuals and take a moment away from the discussion on game mechanics. Only a little over two hours to go.

I'm not seeing anything abundantly suspicious in anyone yet, but there are a few red flags here and there. My thoughts currently:

Skip: I really don't like his suggestion about the hunter revealing. Having a known innocent isn't all that useful right now, at least not compared to how it could be in a few more days. Also not a fan of his vote, but really Day 1 votes kinda always suck.

Lottie: her list is very non-confrontational (best word I can think of to describe it) appears helpful but really nothing majorly negative about anyone. But, she's doing this from work as I am, and probably doesn't have the freedom that I do to contribute more substance.

Gil-Galad: talking way more than I ever remember him talking in WW, but to be fair I probably am too. I have agreed with a lot of what he's said, so I don't know, iffy here.

Mac: seems very nervous about the potential of having a cobbler, don't really get that, frankly they aren't that huge of a threat, certainly not compared to an extra night kill.

Lommy: seems to think this game is "too easy", which I don't really see right now, likely losing 2 people a night and therefore increasing our chances of losing gifteds and our numbers dwindling quickly, is not what I would call easy. And that was in stark contrast to what she previously said about our bad odds.

I feel pretty good about Boro, Rikae, Kit and Nerwen. Everyone else I am neutral about at the moment.

So my vote? Will wait a while longer, should be able to stick around close to DL, not getting much work done anyway, and I'd like more to go on.

note: had a tough time posting this, my work computer seems to not like the Downs, maybe it's trying to tell me to get back to work, haha, but if I don't come back it's because my computer won't let me, hopefully that doesn't happen!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #92
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Mac: seems very nervous about the potential of having a cobbler, don't really get that, frankly they aren't that huge of a threat, certainly not compared to an extra night kill.
Not concerned about the cobbler itself, but I've got the feeling that some people have been trying to exaggerate the bear-threat to the point of prioritizing him over the wolves. Of course those people like to downplay the influence of a cobbler. In connection, I find this suspicious.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'll be able to be around much at the deadline, so I better make my mind up about my vote.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #93
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Goodness I'm so sorry, I had no idea the game had started! Here and reading now.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #94
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
The way I see it:

We lynch the bear, lose a night kill but the Lions gain a cobbler.

Lions kill the bear, innocents gain a helper and we still lose a night kill.

I prefer the odds of a Lion killing off a bear/maiden then us lynching them and essentially helping the Lions. Sure, the two-kill night could kill off more innocents, but could also kill off a lion and an innocent.

Looking at the alternatives, lynching a bear/maiden will just end up helping the Lions more then helping the innocents.
Ok, I know you're not the first to say this, and you probably won't be the last, but it's just got to be said and your post happened to have taken the blow. Unless you're a Lion, you can't make the lions kill who you want them to kill, and if you are a lion, you're not gonna kill those who ham you with their deaths (ie the kind the village wants you to kill). So yes, it's ideal if the Lions get the Bear, but we can't make it happen, so leave the beaten horse alone and start doing something that we can make happen.

/end rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Gil, you talk (and this isn't the only example) as though we could somehow plan this!
Thought so too at this post, but realised that Gil will be Gil. I can see him posting that as any role. Yes, his posts are rather... Gil, but that particular one wasn't big enough to make me actually suspect him.

Another thing a bunch of people said is that we're talking about lovers too much and lions too little. Well, what do you want in the first-in-several-years game with lovers? That's the first point. The second one is that how exactly are you planning to find wolves with no votes, no kills, no posts, no nothing? Discussion of the roles is as good a place as any to start chatting. To be quite honest, I'm very happy with the start of this game. A typical D1 has 20 hours dedicated to complete silence, 3 to IC and banter, and the rest to something that sounds like "I don't like the way he phrased his IC post, I'll vote for him". Ok fine, that was an exaggeration, but you get the point. This game there's a good discussion going on the various possibilities for the new roles and rules, something that could also be reread later on with a bit more known roles. It's true that we have to look out for people to vote (in 2h I believe), but saying "look for suspicion" isn't gonna help you get people to talk. A good discussion will. If everyone says "Let's look for wolves!", you're not gonna find any, because there's nothing more left to say. People who encourage others to restrict discussion on D1 to "looking for wolves/lions" do a very good job of allowing the wolves to hide beneath these words.

/end rant #2

Quote:
There isn't much to say about wolves day 1, especially when there isn't anything special about them. All there is to get discussion going at the beginning is to talk about the unique aspects of the game.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Getting rid of a night kill is surely worth having a cobbler around, and I wouldn't be so sure the wolves are willing to kill the bear.
Yes. This.

Quote:
The cobbler isn't my greatest concern either, but the fact that no one seems to care at all makes me feel like there's something furry going on in the discussion.
Actually, the cobbler has been mentioned several times at the very beginning, and most of us seem to agree that a Night kill is a good trade for a cobbler. What's more to say on the discussion? What do you want people to say? And why are you agitating people so much against killing one of the lovers? I can't say I'm liking the way you're pushing the trend.

Quote:
So anyway, deciding whether we should be targeting one over the other isn't really all that productive to me. The methods of discovering either will be fairly similar I think (kill the bad guys!), and lynching the Bear would not be terrible to the point where we should be actively trying to avoid doing it.

(3 more hours, if I'm correct?)
Wilwa, I'm liking you more and more with each post. And 2 hours.

And now it's time for me to start looking at specific people... but that will have to wait a bit.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #95
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Holy smokes, this is a big village. And a lot of people are posting. On Day 1! That's good, but it's also a headache for those doomed to be at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
Assume nothing! Love can make anyone into a blithering idiot.
Truer words were never spoken.

Quote:
I'm not sensing a clear direction for the voting yet... I shall have to go back and peruse your posts once again. We have yet to hear from Eonwe, A Little Green, and Nogrod. Are they quivering with fear in the corner (AKA doing real life things) or trying to fly low under the radar?
A "clear direction"? It's a first for me playing with you, but I hope that doesn't indicate a Lion waiting to see which way the wind blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
I would argue for lynching 1-2 Lions first, then going for the Bear.
Easier said than done, sir.

Quote:
Well, that they could get him whenever isn't quite true. As long as the Ranger is about, a known Ordo should count on protection every other night and going after the revealed Targaryan would be a 50/50 risk of getting a blocked kill.
Than again, I think the ranger ought to be more concerned with protecting possible Seers, rather than the Hunter!
And I still say a revealed Hunter would be more damaging to the Lions later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Soooo I just got back to work today after 4 1/2 days of being gone and I cannot describe my current working situation in family friendly terms. I honestly don't think I will be able to contribute much more today. I have two 15 minutes breaks between now and DL, so my vote will be entirely random or will be based on flimsy feelings if I can find a suspicious post while I skim over the thread.
My sympathies. I had an RL situation come up myself. It's unlikely I'll be around for DL, so my vote will come soonish.

Quote:
This coming in response to the slightest early Day One suspicion? Woah, there.
Now, now. For some reason I always want to suspect you, and it seems its mutual. I want to give you a pass though toDay. As I said, if you ignored me or thought I seemed innocent I would be more concerned.

Right now I'm thinking of voting skip, for the business about the Hunter revealing (and the Seer focusing their protection there) and his seemingly easy vote on Gil.

x/d with G55 and Greenie
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #96
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Blissfully absent:
Eonwe
Green Lommyhands

New to the game / haven't played with before (as far as I'm aware), so vote-exempt for now:
Loslote, Wyth, Copper (not too concerned about either of them at this point)

Seem innocent at the moment:
Encai (feels good)
Wilwa (been disagreeing with her, but she sounds innocent)
Rikae (playful Rikae is ordo-Rikae, or so I'd like to think)
Volo (feels good, too)
Gil (same)

No clue either way, really:
Lommy Greenhands (mostly fine, but just too much bear-talk overall)
Nerwen (does seem alright, but only a fool trusts Nerwen)
Galadriel (no real feeling either way)
Eomer (same here)
Nogrod (hasn't said enough yet)
Sally (hasn't said much either)
Skip (said plenty, but I don't know what to do with him)

Somewhat fishy:
Inzil (seems nervous)
Kitanna (really just this one line I pointed out earlier, very flimsy suspicion)
Boro (something seems off, can't put my finger on it)

Very fishy:
nobody

Totally fishy:
nobody

A lot of gut feeling in this list, and nobody sticks out as truly deserving of a vote. Day One at its best.

PS: more house sigil avatars everybody!

PPS: crossed with two loooong posts there
Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #97
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

Another thing a bunch of people said is that we're talking about lovers too much and lions too little. Well, what do you want in the first-in-several-years game with lovers? That's the first point. The second one is that how exactly are you planning to find wolves with no votes, no kills, no posts, no nothing? Discussion of the roles is as good a place as any to start chatting. To be quite honest, I'm very happy with the start of this game. A typical D1 has 20 hours dedicated to complete silence, 3 to IC and banter, and the rest to something that sounds like "I don't like the way he phrased his IC post, I'll vote for him". Ok fine, that was an exaggeration, but you get the point. This game there's a good discussion going on the various possibilities for the new roles and rules, something that could also be reread later on with a bit more known roles. It's true that we have to look out for people to vote (in 2h I believe), but saying "look for suspicion" isn't gonna help you get people to talk. A good discussion will. If everyone says "Let's look for wolves!", you're not gonna find any, because there's nothing more left to say. People who encourage others to restrict discussion on D1 to "looking for wolves/lions" do a very good job of allowing the wolves to hide beneath these words.
Preach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
PS: more house sigil avatars everybody!
Uhm, mine is a bear...I think I'll pass
Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #98
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
If everyone says "Let's look for wolves!", you're not gonna find any, because there's nothing more left to say. People who encourage others to restrict discussion on D1 to "looking for wolves/lions" do a very good job of allowing the wolves to hide beneath these words.
Hmm... not sure about this.

I would argue that lions (let's not bring traditional bigotry against the noble wolf into this game, people!) would find it far easier to hide in a drawn-out discussion on game mechanics.

I always fancy that we can find lions - usually, in subsequent days I grant you - if we had gotten right down into the mud-slinging as early as possible on Day 1. You see this in the more basic games, for sure; I don't think this general tactic should change in the more complex ones.

For that reason, I'm somewhat suspicious of those guests who are chummying up to others by praising the "good discussion" they are engaged in - and which gets us no nearer a good old-fashioned lion-lynching.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #99
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have a meeting at DL so this is probably the last I will be on until well after D1.

++Skip

Not as random as I thought it would be, but built on flimsy reasoning. Skip has been the only one to really draw my attention. His belief that having a known innocent in exchange for a secret hunter doesn't feel right. It feels like he's pushing for something that could and probably will be harmful for the village by drawing ranger resources to protect someone who has no knowledge of anyone else's role and therefore their only benefit is being a known innocent for a day or two.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #100
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
Actually, the cobbler has been mentioned several times at the very beginning, and most of us seem to agree that a Night kill is a good trade for a cobbler. What's more to say on the discussion? What do you want people to say? And why are you agitating people so much against killing one of the lovers? I can't say I'm liking the way you're pushing the trend.
It's Day One, and there's nothing to say. Our only hope for a good voting is the small chance that a wolf slips up. Poking people and watching what happens increases that chance slightly. It's my usual strategy.
It rarely results in me getting no votes on Day One, but so be it.

I still do think the lovers shouldn't be our first concern, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
As I said, if you ignored me or thought I seemed innocent I would be more concerned.
On second thought, I think Inzil looks quite innocent. I will ignore him for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
Uhm, mine is a bear...I think I'll pass
What's wrong with bears?

Last edited by Macalaure; 06-25-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot to put in a quote source
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #101
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
What's wrong with bears?
You just made a big mistake, pal.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Hmm... not sure about this.

I would argue that lions (let's not bring traditional bigotry against the noble wolf into this game, people!) would find it far easier to hide in a drawn-out discussion on game mechanics.

I always fancy that we can find lions - usually, in subsequent days I grant you - if we had gotten right down into the mud-slinging as early as possible on Day 1. You see this in the more basic games, for sure; I don't think this general tactic should change in the more complex ones.

For that reason, I'm somewhat suspicious of those guests who are chummying up to others by praising the "good discussion" they are engaged in - and which gets us no nearer a good old-fashioned lion-lynching.
Lynch a lion. Go. Be my guest. Can you see one? Can you find one? Are you going to find one by yelling "go find lions!" at the top of your lungs? I'm a fan of getting lions/wolves/whatever. I'm not a fan of people telling other people to go look for them.

EDIT: xed since quoted
Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #103
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
Lynch a lion. Go. Be my guest. Can you see one?
Maybe I can.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #104
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
A "clear direction"? It's a first for me playing with you, but I hope that doesn't indicate a Lion waiting to see which way the wind blows.
Mmm, I can see how that might come across as bandwagonny, at the very least. At the time I posted, no one had yet voted. So I was more trying to express that I had no idea what anyone was going to base their votes on, as no one was appearing overtly suspicious to me. But I'm of the mind that Day 1 is pretty much a shot in the dark.

Quote:
Lynch a lion. Go. Be my guest. Can you see one? Can you find one? Are you going to find one by yelling "go find lions!" at the top of your lungs? I'm a fan of getting lions/wolves/whatever. I'm not a fan of people telling other people to go look for them.
I think what Eomer is saying is that he would prefer that we start making accusations and see how everyone responds. You don't seem to like that. Are you invested in keeping the lions' identities a secret?

(Was that what more like you wanted, Eomer?)

Edit: cross-posted with Eomer.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #105
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Time to summarize the feelings I got from reading the thread this far

Eönwë - under the radar, which is a nice hiding place for a wolf (or a bear)
Inziladun - his normal self
Kitanna - also under the radar
Encaitare - seems a bit too trigger happy, but I'll give her the benefit of doubt toDay
wilwarin538 - makes sense and contributes and all that, but her bear-centrism feels sinister to me
Boromir88 - otherwise seems innocent enough but didn't give any reasoning for his vote which is always a bit weird
Loslote - notable: easy vote
Nerwen - I'm hoping to see her vote on Day1 again, I was so proud of her last game
Galadriel55 - calm down girl! definitely up there on my suspicion list for making a huge fuss about the bear discussion after the necessity of the bear discussion had already been beaten to death imho
A Little Green - nothing much yet
WythDryden - should be on invisible mode, otherwise fine
Eomer of the Rohirrim - I'm fighting very hard my knee-jerk suspicion of him before I see more of him (he and I seem to always suspect each other)
Rikae - seems innocent enough for now
Macalaure - the Mac I remember from previous games was way less chaotic! I'm baffled...
Coppermirror - can form a radar club with Eönwë and Kitanna
Nogrod - should concentrate on ww not football
Colin "Volo" Mute - I would like to observe him for longer before passing a judgement, but nothing worries me yet
Gil-Galad - actually seems quite innocent even though I disagree with his points
satansaloser2005 - radar club
skip spence - notable: easy vote (I feel like Gil and Skip himself are easy Day1 lynch targets because they think fast and sometimes a bit kneejerkily and are active enough to draw attention)

edit: xed with everything starting from #99
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #106
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Lynch a lion. Go. Be my guest. Can you find one? Are you going to find one by yelling "go find lions!" at the top of your lungs? I'm a fan of getting lions/wolves/whatever. I'm not a fan of people telling other people to go look for them.
The second odd thing of the Day thus far.

And I'm not a fan of those who point their fingers in this kind of vague fashion just implying something while actually not even doing it (not to talk of actually laying a claim or making an open suspicion) - looks pretty lionish to me. And anyway, with an hour to go we need to get something going by way of making suspicions.

So yes, I'm suspecting Galadriel the most at the moment. Going to read back next...

EDIT: X'd with Lommy
Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #107
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

RL calls, I must be briefer that I thought.

Did not stand out:
Eonwe
Enca
(much too little impression of her yet, and my first game with her and all)
Zil - not much to say about him. He poked around but didn't stand out either way
Boro - see above
Kit - ditto
Greenie - didn't know the game is on
Rikae - doesn't feel innocent, but also doesn't feel guilty
Cop - somewhat crazy, but otherwise ok / no impression.
Nog - seems more absent than not, or maybe my impressions of him just got lost in the sea of posts and players.
sally - blank on her.

Eomer - picks and pokes, but looks ok.
Lommy - more flambuoyant than I remember, but no feeling either way.
Lottie - gives good vibes.
wilwa - me likey! Quite loud throughout a good portion of the Day, and she's very reasonable and makes sense.
Nerwen - looks like her usual self. Too early and too little posts from her to declare "feels innocent", but it's getting there.
Wyth - not much from him, eh? He made one pretty good point, then backed down. I'd say, good point, backing down like that is not the greatest strategy but I've done worse. I would not vote him either way, this being his first game, but even without that I wouldn't vote him. Good vibes maybe?
Mac - really don't like the way he pushes some discussion. His arguments don't make that much sense (slash I just don't agree, but then that's how we evaluate sense most of the time), and he's very insistent on them. However, he's blatantly running for the centre spotlight of attention, which is unwolvy. But still, the way he says some stuff just doesn't sound right. Vote candidate.
Gil - I don't like the way he posts, but he posts this way. I tend to give more slack for erratic and careless playing styles than most others, and this game is no exception. When I read his posts, I look more at the content than at how he says it.
Volo - don't remember much of him at this point, but some of the earlier things he said rubbed me the wrong way. They just don't sit right. Vote candidate.
skip - I don't agree with what he's said, and I don't like his vote, but I can understand his vote. At this point I think it's much easier to jump on him than claim that he jumped on Gil. So semi-vote candidate.
G55 - my lovely innocent self.

So I'm left with Volo and Mac as my two top candidates. Will check for cross posting and maybe review their posts and then vote.

EDIT: xed since my last
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #108
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
WythDryden - should be on invisible mode, otherwise fine
Wyth has been having account issues again. He is barred from posting at present, and I know he was definitely on Invisible Mode before, so maybe the two things are connected. *sigh* If he can't post on that account before the deadline, he will likely have to post as Lote22 again.

Edit: cross-posted with G55
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #109
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. would our gracious moddesses offer us a voting-tally thus far with all the non-highlighted votes & stuff confirmed?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #110
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

I'm remembering now how much I dislike Day 1 votes. Looks like I may be getting pulled away from my desk soon, not sure how long it'll take so won't take the chance that I can't come back.

Going with:

++Skip

Because his ideas about the hunter were odd and I don't think they were really in our best interest. Not a lot to go on, I know, but my best hunch right now.

Hopefully I can come back on, I'll see how long this meeting goes, if not: good luck!

x'ed with G55, Encai (that sucks! Hopefully it gets sorted out!), and Nog
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #111
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ok, my time toDay is up.

I can't see anyone else who pings the radar as much, so it's

++skip

x/d with Enca, Nog, and Wilwa
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #112
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Votes

Skip -> Gil
Lottie -> Skip
Sally -> Lottie
Boro -> Inzil
Kit -> Skip 2
Wilwa -> Skip 3
Inzil -> Skip 4

edit: xed with Nog's request and the two last votes, added
Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #113
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I think what Eomer is saying is that he would prefer that we start making accusations and see how everyone responds.
And my point is that be my guest - make accusations. Don't tell others to start making them. Start the job yourself, get the stone rolling. People aren't gonna suspect anyone if all they do is encourage each other to make the first step.

EDIT: whoa! xed with a bunch of votes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #114
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
You just made a big mistake, pal.
*tries to hide the honey in his hair*

Feeling better about Eomer and Galadriel as well. She's sooo insistent that we can't get a wolf today (not that I'm optimistic by any stretch), I highly doubt a wolf would act this way, and lacking a cobbler, she's most likely innocent.

(crossed with numbers 3 and 4 of the Skip-bandwaggon)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #115
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Something about Wilwa bothers me. She's reasonable enough, but she seems nervous.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #116
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Iiiinteresting!

What the ??? at this bandwagon?!

Also anyone else notice that the second and the third voter (Lottie and Sally) voted the one that had voted before them. Weird.

ediT: xed with everyone, corrected my censored phrasing
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #117
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I can see why skip is suspicious, but I'm rather baffled at how centred the votes are around him. I don't like it. Seems too easy for... certain individuals.

RL calls -

++McConnington

(That's your new official hybrid name )

EDIT; xed since last. Ugh, how I hate the 23rd hour! (all the crossings...)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #118
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
skip - I don't agree with what he's said, and I don't like his vote, but I can understand his vote. At this point I think it's much easier to jump on him than claim that he jumped on Gil. So semi-vote candidate.
Are you truly saying that "it's much easier to jump on him so I'd consider doing it"?

On a related issue - I do not think a Skip-lion would have proposed openly for the Targaryen to reveal... a lion should not be controversial but rather quire careful on the early stages when the lynches can be pretty random (D1 especially).

EDIT: X'd with a bunch...
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #119
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Also anyone else notice that the second and the third voter (Lottie and Sally) voted the one that had voted before them. Weird.
Huh, interesting find. *Files for later reference*
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #120
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
Start the job yourself, get the stone rolling.
*tries to get the stone rolling*

Quote:
++McConnington
Yeah...