The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Merry & Pippin: the opposite of what was expected to happen

I remeber quite awhile ago, someone asked the question "Do you think Pippin will mature more in the second movie?" or something to that effect. Most people said yes, they expected that Pippin would be less of a comic relief and become more serious. But what I've seen is that Merry is the one to really mature and grow. He's the one who realizes the seriousness of their situation and seems to become wiser and darker.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
My Cat Sasha
Animated Skeleton

My Cat Sasha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to My Cat Sasha
Sting

Yeah, I noticed that. Pippin did mature, though. He told Treebeard to take them South. He seemed to understand things a little better after Merry explained it to him.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Pippin starts to really mature once he gets to minas tirith, so you'll probably see a big change in rotk!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry became very serious, very quickly<P>I though am still happy that Pippin still had a little of the comic relief still in him, because I enjoyed that.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Andkrisiel

Tolkien

You saw that Merry grew in the Fellowship because Merry realized that Frodo need to go and he got Pippin to help him get the orcs off Frodo cast. It really shocked me when Pippin said to go South. It was the first smart thing her has said thro both movies.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
Andkrisiel

Sting

sry about saying her i ment he i was also talking ot a friend.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:26 PM   #7
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I see where you are coming from Peri. I was sort of shocked when I saw Merry saying all of those courageous things and Pippin would just stand back and watch. But only one thing I can find that will come out of this for Pippin... <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Do not worry, Peregrin Took. You will find your courage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, that's as good as I can remember right now from the movie. Galadriel said he would find his courage. Right now, he is still afraid. He has not found it yet, but is working his way towards it. As many have said already, I believe he will become more courageous on the road to Minas Tirith. But he will find it. For he will have to travel by himself for a while. He will not be with Merry. <P>Merry, I think, was shown as having more courage to begin with for a purpose. I mean, he has to go fight a Nazgul Lord! He needs alot of courage to do that. Pippin is just making his way transforming from the old "fool of a took" to the braver Hobbit inside.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:32 PM   #8
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I can't wait to see them both in their respective uniforms, marching off to war. It'll be hilarious to see them in armour, in a sad sort of way. I expect Pippin's childishness will be squished out when the troll falls on him.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:39 PM   #9
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I really wish Pippin gets more serious in ROTK! And that they show him more!<BR>Pippin is one of my favorite characters in the book and I love also Billy Boyd, the actor who plays him in the film. I'm sure he could make an amazing portrayal of Pippin, if they only let him!
Old 12-29-2002, 07:07 PM   #10
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I agree that he'll probably get more mature in RotK, but he wasn't too bad this time around. He sounded very brave and possibly even smart (j/k) when he said this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No we won't. Not this time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-30-2002, 01:02 AM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It was nice to see the expanded parts that MerPip (I don't know if they really deserve separate names in the movie) had to play in Rousing the Ents. It was a shame that it came at Treebeard's expense, but them's the breaks. Merry was a little bit more wise in the FOTR, cos he was the one that knew where Bucklebury Ferry was, and cottoned on to the fact that something was going on when great big hooded riders were trying to capture Frodo. He is, truly, the "smart one". And great call, it was good to see that the comedy aspect wasn't entirely lost. But how did Gimli get so funny so fast? Maybe Pippin left his funny in his Elven brooch? Or in his pack at Pinnath Gelin?