The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
White-Hand "The Hobbit: There And Back Again" To be Renamed "The Battle of the Five Armies"

this was... not unexpected for once.

in case you don't want to click the link, here's the excerpt from Peter Jackson's status update on Facebook:

Quote:
Inside Information...
Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".
When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.
And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.
As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.
Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.
And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.
It’ll be a fun year!
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Really?is this true?is so,then this makes no sense.if the title is'the battle of five armies',wouldnt it mean that the films only focus on the battle,not the entire story?its like renaming return of the king to battle of pelennor fields.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
you make a good point. I'm imagining how the "Lord of the Rings" titles would sound in that very-direct-and-specific-style:

The Fellowship of the Ring --> A Long-Expected Journey
The Two Towers --> The Army of Saruman
The Return of the King --> The Battle of The Pelennor Fields

jest aside, had they read the book a little more closely, I think "The Gathering of the Clouds" or "The Clouds Burst" or something to that effect would have sounded more interesting and poetic. But in any case, oh well.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Rubbish

It really does't matter what one names garbage, it's still garbage.

PJ is probably forward-planning with this name change. He'll still be able to make a 'linking' movie between the end of this one and the beginning of Fellowship, and pocket even more cash usurping the Professor's fine literary works.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
Really?is this true?is so,then this makes no sense.if the title is'the battle of five armies',wouldnt it mean that the films only focus on the battle,not the entire story?
Quite possibly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jackson
...after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
Really?is this true?is so,then this makes no sense.if the title is'the battle of five armies',wouldnt it mean that the films only focus on the battle,not the entire story?
Yes.

Of course, the title is completely appropriate - what else is there in the Hobbit movies but battles?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Yes.

Of course, the title is completely appropriate - what else is there in the Hobbit movies but battles?
Yeah. I'm getting suprised in the book that there weren't really battles(not much). Bilbo doesn't experience any battle except his encounter with the three Goblins. (btw, why did they make Thorin so rude in the movies? He's not like that in the book. He respects Gandalf's decisions, and shows respect towards Elrond too!)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
"After viewing the movie, we realised it's basically just the world's longest fight scene. Time for a name-change!"
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't care if PJ calls Hobbit III "Romancing the Arkenstone" or "Return of the Writhe." I'm much much MUCH more interested in those extra 25 minutes of new DoS scenes! Hopefully they've extended the battle, chase and dragon snout disco scenes, as I felt that those were cut a little short.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Yes.

Well,it supposed to tell not only the battle,but bilbo's journey back to shire,the selling of his house,smaug's death,and many other.and also,the attack on dol guldur.right now,pj would make them film just about the battle,but it will be longer.example:smaug join in.gondor and rohan suddenly barge in to the battle.the wise,easterling,mordor,nazgul,anything so that the battle would last for an hour and a half movie.yep,this movie will be suck as hell.

EDIT:and also,gollum will join in,sneaking to bilbo and take the ring.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Ask and ye shall receive...

...here it is.

From the "I knew those rumors were so ridiculous they had to be true" front - I see a dwarf-bearing chariot drawn by rams...which might not have been quite so bad if I wasn't instantly reminded of the silly barrel-riding sequence and at 1:22 I see what can only be an army of dwarves charging in on what can only be a horde of similar rams.

*sigh*

From the "Oh my gosh, how lazy can you get" front - I see orcs that look like they could have come straight from Isengard from The Two Towers (I guess they wanted to reuse the armor to hold down costs) and a song from the previous trilogy.

To say they appear to be phoning it in is an insult to the comparatively high standards of actual phoning it in.

And then we have the end of the trailer. I'm sure New Zealand is a lovely country...but seriously, does the entire economy of the country revolve around these movies now?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Beaten me to the punch, Kuru, I was about to post this.

Gut-punch more like.

Dwarves riding rams. For goodness' sake.

"It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing."
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Can't wait to get into the heated discussion of which is faster: Radagast's bunny sled or this Dwarven chariot.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril

I'm unimpressed. The amount of recycling old imagery in these films hurts as it is, and now we're even getting Galadriel's feet.

Peter Jackson shows he hasn't improved as a director one bit in these 15 years. Most of the youtube comments seemed doubtful too.

Some scenes did look visually better than the first two films in general, though. And mind you I'm not talking about the CGI and the unrealistic fighting choreographies here.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
"I will have war!"

Give me a break.

It all seems very much darker than the book. They're trying to build it up to a climax rivaling the big showdown at the Morannon in ROTK. "Recycled" is the best word I can think to describe it. And why does PJ have only two modes with these films: goofy slapstick and overblown dramatics?