The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Question when was lotr?

HI, when I was reading the hobbit recently I started to wonder, when were these books (lotr and the Hobbit) supposed to have happened? In the Hobbit they talk about Yuletime and Thorin says: "This wont do at all, if we dont get blown off, or drowned, or struck by lightening, We shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky high for a football." They had football in the 3rd age? Also one of the Trolls says: "What the 'ell William was thinkin" I wouldnt have thought they would know much about hell and all..
Thanks
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Rosenberg
Pile O'Bones

Rosenberg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosenberg
Pipe

I think somebody mentioned on some other thread not long ago that Tolkien estimated the 3rd Age occured some 5-6,000 years ago. But I'm not sure.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:48 AM   #3
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You just have to suspend disbelief. The Shire is pretty much late Victorian England, which Tolkien mentioned at one stage - the Diamond Jubilee, which was when he was born. The hobbits have matches while everyone else uses more primitive firemaking equipment, they have a post office and a museum, they eat fish and chips (Sam mentions this in LOTR) and drink coffee...you get the idea. The rest of the world is more or less mediaeval, even if it did happen thousands of years ago. The only anachronism he did alter was the mention of tomatoes in "An Unexpected Party" because tomatoes came from America. But so did potatoes and tobacco (hence the latter is called pipeweed and I think he hopes we won't notice if he calls the potatoes "taters" and "spuds").

Don't worry about it! Just enjoy! :-)
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I heard that it was about 6000 years ago and we are in something like the 7th Age because they began to pass more quickly. But he wrote the Hobbit as a separate kind of thing and later decided to encorporate it into his legendarium, so he regretted putting in some of the things he did- like calling that stone troll 'William' for instance. As for all these odd food references- who cares? It hardly knocks the rest of the story out of sync, and hey, it's up to him anyway... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Middle-earth (LotR et al) exists in a fictional time period that never existed, some long time ago. It doesn't exactly fit anywhere, with all of the different cultures being drawn from more or less distinct and different time periods (ie the difference between Anglo-saxon Rohan and the Victorian Shire) The best guess is a few thousand years ago in western Europe. There are at least a couple threads out there that postulate that markers of the end of the Fourth Age. Probably they are worth reading if you are interested. I forget the exact details. I'm not in exactly a state to go find them (tired, caffeine) but they shouldn't be too difficult to suss out (search for seventh age/ 7th age).
Old 01-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #6
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They could hardly be that old. I mean, think about it, it talks about how Sauron used war machines when he attacked Minas Tirith, and Saruman uses a gunpowder-like substance in his assault on Helm's Deep. These are fairly modern inventions when compared to the actual age of the earth.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all, because they lived on a hunk of the world that was seperated from Earth when Iluvatar changed the world.

Or maybe our Earth is just the place where men go when they die and leave ME.

The possibilities are endless...
Old 01-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
TheSquireof Aragorn
Animated Skeleton

TheSquireof Aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I know this is a little off topic but it was mentioned that we are believed to be in the 7th qage since LOTR, but my question is what historical events in our history would have served as the beginnings and ends for ages? For instance the birth of Jesus Christ i think could definetly be called the start of a new age.
If you think this is too off topic just give me a verbal smack and i'll start a new topic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2004, 04:16 AM   #8
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The imagined timeframe of the Legendarium is as stated above. However, that is just that - imagined. It plays on being actual history, but the author was well aware it isn't.

"G: It seemed to me that Middle-earth was in a sense as you say this world we live in but at a different era.
T: No ... at a different stage of imagination, yes." (Tolkien interview with the BBC in 1971)

It's therefore unlikely that a bridge of complete history between the two stages imagination and reality is desirable or possible. This also explains seeming contradictions in technological or cultural advancement.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote