The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #1161
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
[QUOTE=Kath]Oh? Do we get the reasoning behind this?
QUOTE]

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #1162
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Oh? Do we get the reasoning behind this?

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.....
Thanks Mith. Did you notice the time when I posted that, Kath?

I assign snow to Mordor. It's almost May and what do we get here? Indeed. Snow.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #1163
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Did you notice the time when I posted that, Kath?
I didn't, you'll just have to explain it to me when you get round to that PM
Old 04-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #1164
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Umm...I still don't get it. At all.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #1165
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

Might want to take your queries to PM . . . wouldn't want this thread closed for chattiness, eh?

~*~ Pio
Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #1166
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Let's get back on topic.

I assign to Mordor ******* admins who randomly pick out a member, change something like their username or custom title for no reason, and then tell the member that they are horrible people and then threaten them with a ban. A thing like that happened this Wednesday and is still going on. This is how it started.

Admin: In the past, blah blah blah.
Me: (Laid back and mirthful) Meh, I've read better sci-fi.
Admin: (Grim) No you haven't.
Me: (Thinking the guy is bored and wants to talk) Sorry, but the one paragraph story about the chemicals made by ghosts was better because it used a big word.
Admin: (Still Grim for no reason) No, my story is the best.
Me: (Wanting to end the discussion) Sorry dude, but there are better things out there. Now, if you used big words, you'd be better.

At that point the ******* admin entered the control panel for the site and changed my custom title, making it say that his story was the best ever. I responded by saying "My title says that because you entered the control panel and changed it to your liking, something only you can do."

The admin ignored that and acted like a ******* *********. Afterwards, he claimed that I was a horrible person who forced him to do that when I had done nothing at all and then he threatened to ban me. However, I did get back at him by annoying the heck of him afterwards. One instance being "No, the moral of the day is that it's sad to abuse admin powers and it makes you lower than a spammer." Apparently, most of the site agreed with me. That admin turned from a cool guy to a stuck-up jerk in less than an hour.

(Because of the board server, I can't change my custom title back. Only the admin can do that, and sadly, that pompus ***** is the only admin.)
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:03 AM   #1167
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh Zali...I can only agree with assigning prom...

*shudders at a two-year-old memory*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #1168
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the mid-meal discovery that caesar salad dressing contains anchovies. Microscopic dead animal-things in my food! What's the point? Is it a world-wide effort to skeeve out vegetarians? No, you can't TASTE the little buggers, but we're going to kill them and stick 'em in there anyhow, just so Laura has to survive on lettuce like a friggin' rabbit because she's so paranoid about finding freshly killed corpse in her meals.

And I assign my own OCD tendencies that led me to forcibly remove (with the aid of a fork) any part of my meal that had touched it.

I also assign being really caffiene high while this was happening. I'd assumed tunnel-vision only comes from alcohol, but nope... you get enough caffiene in your system and the world starts looking a lot different.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 AM   #1169
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Headaches - ick!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #1170
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Fea, dear, Caesar salad traditionally contains anchovies, but unless you're eating at a really fancy restaurant, most Caesar dressings don't include them anymore, if only because so many people are allergic to fish. If you're eating at your college cafeteria, then definitely do not fear...no little corpses (mm...corpses) are to be found. Otherwise, ask! As a 7 year veteran of the food service industry, I can tell you with confidence that no one is going to think it amiss for you to inquire into the ingredients of the dressing.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #1171
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I grabbed a packet of salad dressing, therefore had the ingredients conveniently in front of me. There were most definitely anchovies in both the worcestershire sauce contained within and as a direct ingredient. Assign, assign, assign!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #1172
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Anchovies are a traditional ingredient of Worcestershire sauce - but i didn't realise it for a while and had been happily spicing up dishes for my militantly vegetarian cousin for ages :S lol ... he has just started eating meat and fish again after 10 years because he is in his university Naval reserve - and the food is so awful for vegetarians....

Anchovies are just nasty though even for carnivores - just a way to consume a week's sodium in one unpleasant form...

However having just done a huge amount of someone else's washing up - I assign teabags left in mugs in the sink. Especially when the sink is full of water... someone is going to get killed when they get back....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #1173
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Reaccuring strep throat. This is *cough* *hack* my fourth time this year...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #1174
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love anchovies! Droooooolllllllll..........

I hereby assign just about every commercial pizza outlet as they no longer sell pizzas with anchovies on. What's wrong with you people? The perfect pizza would have prawns, anchovies, mushrooms, black olives, jalapeno chillies, fresh basil and capers on it.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #1175
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Other people's computers! I write a lovely long PM, hit the button that would normally send it and what does it do? That's right, deletes it So sorry Form, but this is why your reply will be late. I have to get over the anger.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #1176
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hay fever. I love spring, but it does not love me.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #1177
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Bad hair days (bleh). So bad that your mother who holds you dear could only say that you look as if you were picked up off the bed and thrown into the car without being allowed to wash your hair.

It's not as if you really care, anyway. Well, maybe just not too much.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #1178
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I assign getting a last minute call from a Recruitment Agency this afternoon about coming in for a job interview tomorrow. Little time to prepare, AND this is my first time taking a job interview.

*tries to stem the massive waves of panic*

Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #1179
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

You'll do fine...relax!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #1180
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Good luck Tara!

I assign the state of my handwriting after a week long hiatus mixed with ventolin. So messy
Old 05-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #1181
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign sunburn. An unexpected art class critique taking place out of doors and a picnic lunch as insisted by friends while having completely forgotten the use and beauty of sunblock has my, as entitled by the same friends, "porcelain" skin... very pink.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #1182
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Good luck Tara!

I assign the state of my handwriting after a week long hiatus mixed with ventolin. So messy
I second that, both the good luck wishes (Good luck!!) and my poor handwritting after two weeks off. I have never had much skill for it, but right now I'm scared that even I won't understand it when I try to review my notes.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #1183
Goldberry101
Pile O'Bones

Goldberry101 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I assign stuck-up popular girls who think that just because their popular they can be mean and snotty to those who aren't so popular (like me). Also, I assign homework and track meets that take all day.
Goldberry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #1184
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry101
I assign stuck-up popular girls who think that just because their popular they can be mean and snotty to those who aren't so popular (like me). Also, I assign homework and track meets that take all day.
The stuck-upness will get better as you go through high school. I'm a senior now, and it's pretty much gone entirely. I don't think anyone has said anything mean to me all year, or even at all last year...but I feel your pain. I used to be in the same position as you were. It makes me wonder how some people get to be so popular, anyway. I know a lot of adults say it gets better (it's what my parents always told me), and it's hard to believe, but it's actually true. Just stick it out. Cheers!

The homework and track meets probably won't, though. I just did three hours of chemistry homework that I don't even understand. Homework zonks me out more than anything else, so my brain function has shot down to about nil--I needed an antidote, so I came here.

I'm not on track, but I know a few girls who are, and they have meets ALL the time!

And I re-assign ceasar dressing and the anchovy thing. Fea, as advice from a vegetarian who learned the hard way, check the bottles of any italian-ish dressing you buy, some of those have anchovies, too.

Hey Lhuna--I just see bad hair days as good hat days. I have a lovely bright orange hat that I wear when my hair gets bad...it's just about my favorite accessory!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #1185
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I assign learning what is in foods. I'll bet everyone liked ceasar dressing before hearing it had anchovies. I liked it. Now I don't. And I used to like chicken nuggets. Now I don't. I used to like french fries. Now I don't. If we were just left in blissful ignorance, we could peacefully enjoy everything processed.

Ok, I'll just assign processed foods to Morder...again.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #1186
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mmmm... anchovies. Yum.

I would like to assign the cheesewit I almost broadsided tonight coming home from work. Imagine this: a dark city street, me going 30 MPH, then El Dumbo zips out from a partiallly concealed parking lot just a few yards ahead of me. I almost smashed into the fool and had to slam on my brakes. I hate slamming on my brakes. I assign having to slam on my brakes to Mordor. And what if the road had been wet? What if it had been raining? What then? I wouldn't have got home in time to start Day 5 of WWJVIII, that's what. Not to mention my car, my poor beautiful baby, would have been wrecked! Fool! Fie upon thee!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #1187
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

warning: this is long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I assign sunburn. An unexpected art class critique taking place out of doors and a picnic lunch as insisted by friends while having completely forgotten the use and beauty of sunblock has my, as entitled by the same friends, "porcelain" skin... very pink.
Heartily seconded. I couldn't stop panicking inside when I saw my shoulders turned red after forgetting to put on sunblock...and who told me to wear a sleeveless blouse?

It's especially painful (not physically) since, for some reason, I'm quite obsessed with staying as fair-skinned as I can be. Ask Nilp. I can't help but frown whenever I compare the part of my arms facing away from my torso to that facing inward. The colors are so different that I feel like a streamlined orca. I really really can't see myself sporting a tan; I'm sure I would not recognize myself in the mirror when it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zali
Hey Lhuna--I just see bad hair days as good hat days. I have a lovely bright orange hat that I wear when my hair gets bad...it's just about my favorite accessory!
I know...but you see, I'm not so much of a hat person. I love the feeling of my hair covering my face.

Moving right along...

I assign the times I feel that my will is strong but my body is weak. My arms, specifically. It was just a matter of holding the rocks as tight as I can manage without going overmuch, and then reaching up and holding another...but this time I just couldn't. I had barely climbed my own five-foot-two height up the wall when I started to feel my forearms burn, and no matter how much I wanted to go further up my arms were crying out to me in agony. So what could I do?

Maybe it's my fault for hanging for 42 seconds before the climb.

Also, I assign long nails - my own this time. I love them, but how they impeded my climbing. And how dirty they look with all the chalk stuck under them.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-03-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #1188
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign having meetings that last all day, like yesterday so you don't get a dinnertime and have to do all your shopping today, which is ridiculously busy because a. it's sunny for the first time in months, and b. everyone's in a panic because the city centre will close down at 4pm while Sheffield United have a big parade.

I also assign the woman who spent fifteen minutes fussing with lottery tickets in front of me in the queue in Sainsburys. Cowbag.

I assign worrying about how I'm going to get home from work tonight.

And I assign Snails and slugs again! I have now discovered the joys of copper taping pots of plants in the garden and though it's hideously expensive stuff, its worth it. I spent some happy times on Monday experimenting by watching little snails get electrical shocks and have to turn back from their sadly unfulfilled quests to eat my new petunias. *evil smiley*
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #1189
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Burn lines. My shoulders, mostly, are still creamy, but they go downright red where my sleeves ended, and my neck's even gone so far as to have a delicate white curve through the middle of my burn where my necklace had lain. It's got to be the most hilarious looking burn... I don't blame everyone I live for for trying not to laugh shortly after their horrified exclamations. "That happened after one class and then lunch outside!?!?" A polite nod. "Sunlight and I aren't the closest friends, even on the best of occasions."

Knowing that to be even remotely comfortable today, I'm going to be really limited in which shirts I can wear. Knowing that any shirts I do wear will leave me very open to burning more and worse.

Ugh, if only I'd had on stupid sunblock! *shakes fist at the sun and searches for a high SPF*
Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #1190
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Major sympathies on the sunburn, Fea, from another pale lady. (I once fell asleep in the sun, without sunblock, and had to take three days off work as a result - because I was too burnt to wear clothes. Children and sensitive people recoiled from me for weeks, I was so hideous. I still bear the scars years later, freckles on a previously snowy decolletage. All definitely assigned to Mordor.)
Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #1191
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
the city centre will close down at 4pm while Sheffield United have a big parade.
Will Sean Bean be there, I wonder?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #1192
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Will Sean Bean be there, I wonder?
I'd put money on it! He drinks in the pub down the bottom of our road when he's back in Sheffield to watch a match. But you'd have to be a brave man or a Bean to venture into that alehouse on a matchday!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #1193
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sounds like a good time to me!

I assign papers not meeting deadlines. It was supposed to be out today and I wanted to read it. Though perhaps the reason it wasn't out is the very reason I was interested... A few influential people aren't very happy at the moment.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #1194
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
And I assign Snails and slugs again!
Goodbye, my beloved avatar.

I assign crabs. The two-legged kind.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #1195
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I thank all for their well-wishes, but unfortunately I have to assign completely messing up said interview and making a complete fool of myself.

I found solace in the comic book store down the road, and having the strange ability to laugh at my own misfortune.

*crawls off to lick her metaphorical wounds*

Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #1196
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Guilt trips.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #1197
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I assign nights when it's too hot to cuddle.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #1198
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Guilt trips.
Yeah, tell me about it.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #1199
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Mosquitoes. Again.

Also, vehicular accidents - even just the little, "it's just a scratch" ones.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #1200
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Scheduling discrepencies where your boss thinks you're not scheduled and you think you are. Grrr, my first free Saturday in months, and I waste it on work, when I didn't have to. Grrr.