The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What the nine rings and the seven rings look like?

The books say that the one is plain and unadorned the books also talk about the three but what about the seve and the nine? I imagined the seven with pearls because I remember in the Silmarillion it said that the dwarves valued pearls very highly.

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: Ahanarion ]
Old 03-12-2002, 10:33 PM   #2
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I figured that the 7 were mithril rings with some jewl set in it.

As far as the 9, I have no clue.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #3
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dūm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Somewhere I saw the rings of the nine as they were in the movies, and they were silverish with red oval shaped gems (like the eye, a little conspicuous if you ask me).
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Where does it say about the Three?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Glim Iceholder
Pile O'Bones

Glim Iceholder has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At the end of LOTR when they are departing at the Grey Havens Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf openly wear the 3 and it gives a short little describtion about what they look like.
Glim Iceholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:43 PM   #6
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's ring was Narya, the Ring of Fire. It had a red stone. There is less description of his ring than of the others. It was given to him by Cirdan the Shipwright.

Galadriel's ring was Nenya, the Ring of Water. It was also called the Ring of Adament, which is represented by a Diamond.

Elrond's ring was Vilya, the Ring of Air. It was called the Ring of Sapphire also. It was given to him by Gil-galad.

I have read somewhere that the Elven rings Narya and Vilya were both given to Gil-galad and he then gave them away, to Cirdan and to Elrond respectivly. Then Cirdan recognizing who Gandalf was, a Maia of highest wisdom, then gave Narya to him. Could somebody correct me if I am wrong.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Two of the three were given to Gil-Galad. Narya was given to Cirdan but I was under the impression Gil-Galad kept Vilya but then gave it to Elrond for safe keeping during the battle of the Last Aliance. Gil-Galad was killed and Elrond got to keep it.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:24 PM   #8
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I really should read the books again in more detail! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:31 AM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Elven-Rings are pretty thoroughly described; all I can remember Tolkien mentioning about the Seven and Nine (besides the fact that they are no longer accessible) is that fact of all the rings "Each had its proper gem, save only the One" so presumably the Nine and Seven all had stones of some color. Maybe they were symbolic colors like the ones of the Elven-Rings, though with the Nazgul Rings it's hard to imagine what nine different colors could have been made to symbolize (their birthstones, maybe?).

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-16-2002, 07:35 AM   #10
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Maybe they were emeralds because the nine were made to give their bearers lordship over others after all emeralds are ten time as rare as diamonds.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Ahanarion ]
Old 03-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #11
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">It may very well be so.
For my ring, Morya, is silver with and emerald, however I do not know what my brothers have. I believe that we may have has different stones, although I never actually got to see the rings of my brothers.
However I believe that the Witch-King would have had an amethyst ring as purple symbolises royalty, and the others would have rubies, sapphires, diamonds, pearls, peridots, opals and garnets.

But I honestly don't know.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:25 AM   #12
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

The seven dwarf rings and nine for humans were probably very similar to the three elven rings. When they were first fashioned all of the rings were to be for the elves, save maybe the one given to Durin. So it could be assumed that each ring was slightly different with a gem or precious stone set in it.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote