The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Marvel of it all....

I'd just like to take up a whole forum topic just to marvel at the wonder that is Middle Earth. Think about it, it takes every legend pretty much known to man, and combines them flawlessly, but do you ever notice it, no, because the characters in the book are so intriguing themselves, and the events are so important that none of the fantasy even matters. But to name a few:
Dragons
Demons
Judeo-Christian myth
Greek type elemental gods
Elves
Goblins
Trolls
Dwarves
Ghosts
Atlantis
Leprechuans (Bombadillo anyone?)
Water Nymphs (Goldberry)
Wizards
Boy, that's not even breaking the ice, but it combines them with history-
Variags=Mongol types
Balcoth/Wainriders=the Huns
the Rohirrim are slightly Arian Germanic people (Blonde hair, Blue eyes, tall and strong)
Harad=Zulu-very similar
and the list goes on and on. It's simply amazing. And everyone pretty much knows it. Movies, websites, forums devoted to arguing over interpretation of it, and extra books just to explain the history behind it. You almost have to appreciate it. Even high school and college courses are devoted to teaching this stuff, and it's been around for more than half a century! All because one man got an idea out of nowhere, and invented hobbits. Damn!
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Keeper of Dol Goldur, I would like to join you in your moment of marvelling!
*take a few moments of silent awe
That is the primary reason I love Tolkien! To create all of that...whoa!!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Sheer genius, if you ask me! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Keeper, I hope you don't mind; I copied your post & sent it to my husband. He does not understand what the fuss is all about regarding LOTR & in his words, 'doesn't care for the genre'. I've tried to explain the brilliance of J.R.R. Tolkien, but he just shakes his head. Perhaps hearing from someone else will make it clearer. He may never 'like the genre' but I can't believe someone as well read as my husband (and he is *very* well read), can't appreciate the genius behind these books.
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

*sigh*
See, now this is why I and everybody else here loves Tolkien. Now I can prove to my friends why I am so obsessed with LOTR, and make them understand my feelings for it.
Oh, also, you put Atlantis in your list, where does that come up in LOTR? Maybe I should read the books over again, because I think i'm starting to forget some of the things that happen in the books...
Old 02-27-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Atlantis, the lost city, is a reference to Valinor, I think.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #6
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

The Atlantis legend is mirrored in the account of the Fall of Numenor. One of the names of Numenor was even Atalantë.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:16 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Lord of the Rings and the other stories created by Tolkien are his homage to thousands of years of human knowledge, language and creativity, to which he devoted his entire academic life.

The book lives and breathes because it's OUR story. From the first tales told by our ancestors, to the everyday stories and songs shared by friends and neighbors.

No matter what culture, people will recognize the archtypes portrayed in Tolkein's works. Frodo and the Fellowship are not only heros, they are All Heros, throughout time.

Thank you, Mr. Tolkein.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #8
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Wow! If I only my friends at school could understand it that way! Tolkien's work covers such a rich variety of... well, everything! I'd love to take a Tolkien course! Wouldn't that be cool! Studying Tolkien's work... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:09 PM   #9
Pirotess
Pile O'Bones

Pirotess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Pirotess
Thumbs up

I marvel at Middle-Earth everytime i pick up one of the books in my hands. Tolkien was truly a master, a visionary, for as you said, he managed to capture so many different aspects and subtleties of our own history and mythology, and work them into such a splendid masterpiece, that we can all so easily relate to. It has roots in our own background, yet it's been modeled in such a way, that Middle-Earth has a feel of Eden. And maybe it makes us dream so vividly, and believe in it, because it wispers to us, what our own world could've, might've been. Middle-Earth feels so tangible at times, it is truly inspiring and moving.
nor bid the Stars farewell
Pirotess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:03 AM   #10
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In Beleriand in those days the Elves walked, and the rivers flowed, and the stars shone, and the night-flowers gave forth their scents; and the beauty of Melian was as the noon, and the beauty of Luthien was as the dawn in spring. In Beleriand King Thingol upon his throne was as the sons of the Valar, whose power is at rest, whose joy is as an air that they breathe in all their days, whose thought flows in a tide untroubled from the heights to the deeps.
-HoME 11

That is some of the most beautful writing i've ever had the honor to read.

From Chapter 11 of the Silmarilion:

But when at last the Valar learned that the Noldor had indeed passed out of Aman and were come back into Middle-earth, they arose and began to set forth in deeds those counsels which they had taken in thought for the redress of the evils of Melkor. Then Manwë bade Yavanna and Nienna to put forth all their powers of growth and healing; and they put forth all their powers upon the Trees. But the tears of Nienna availed not to heal their mortal wounds; and for a long while Yavanna sang alone in the shadows. Yet even as hope failed and her song faltered, Telperion bore at last upon a leafless bough one great flower of silver, and Laurelin a single fruit of gold.
These Yavanna took; and then the Trees died, and their lifeless stems stand yet in Valinor, a memorial of vanished joy. But the flower and the fruit Yavanna gave to Aulë, and Manwë hallowed them, and Aulë and his people made vessels to hold them and preserve their radiance: as is said in the Narsilion, the Song of the Sun and Moon. These vessels the Valar gave to Varda, that they might become lamps of heaven, outshining the ancient stars, being nearer to Arda; and she gave them power to traverse the lower regions of Ilmen, and set them to voyage upon appointed courses above the girdle of the Earth from the West unto the East and to return.
These things the Valar did, recalling in their twilight the darkness of the lands of Arda; and they resolved now to illumine Middle-earth and with light to hinder the deeds of Melkor. For they remembered the Avari that remained by the waters of their awakening, and they did not utterly forsake the Noldor in exile; and Manwë knew also that the hour of the coming of Men was drawn nigh. And it is said indeed that, even as the Valar made war upon Melkor for the sake of the Quendi, so now for that time they forbore for the sake of the Hildor, the Aftercomers, the younger Children of Ilúvatar. For so grievous had been the hurts of Middle-earth in the war upon Utumno that the Valar feared lest even worse should now befall; whereas the Hildor should be mortal, and weaker than the Quendi to withstand fear and tumult. Moreover it was not revealed to Manwë where the beginning of Men should be, north, south, or east. Therefore the Valar sent forth light, but made strong the land of their dwelling.
Isil the Sheen the Vanyar of old named the Moon, flower of Telperion in Valinor; and Anar the Fire-golden, fruit of Laurelin, they named the Sun. But the Noldor named them also Rána, the Wayward, and Vása, the Heart of Fire, that awakens and consumes; for the Sun was set as a sign for the awakening of Men and the waning of the Elves, but the Moon cherishes their memory.
The maiden whom the Valar chose from among the Maiar to guide the vessel of the Sun was named Arien, and he that steered the island of the Moon was Tilion. In the days of the Trees Arien had tended the golden flowers in the gardens of Vána, and watered them with the bright dews of Laurelin; but Tilion was a hunter of the company of Oromë, and he had a silver bow. He was a lover of silver, and when he would rest he forsook the woods of Oromë, and going into Lórien he lay hi dream by the pools of Estë, in Telperion's flickering beams; and he begged to be given the task of tending for ever the last Flower of Silver. Arien the maiden was mightier than he, and she was chosen because she had not feared the heats of Laurelin, and was unhurt by them, being from the beginning a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn to his service. Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on, and leaving Valinor she forsook the form and raiment which like the Valar she had worn there, and she was as a naked flame, terrible in the fullness of her splendour.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Mhoram ]
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:41 AM   #11
Howlin' Pelle

Sting

It is amazing how Tolkien combined so much. There is a part in '3 is Company' where, in the space of less than a page, there is sadness (At Frodo leaving Bag End) fear(Ringwraith) and comedy (Sam and his beer)

Fantastic
Old 03-14-2002, 10:30 AM   #12
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

couldn't 'ave said it better guys! tolkien rocks!

---------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse
Old 03-14-2002, 11:27 AM   #13
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

i think he just about got everything in yeah! i mean, comedy, cruelty, fear, terror, death, life, hobbits, elves, men, orcs, maia, istari, uruk-hai, valar, happieness, a bloomin excellent party, beer, jewells, evil spider things, sadness, mourning, MAGIC, disasters, complete skankiness(peoples heads used as cannon balls, i mean EWWWWW!), kings, queens, ok im really getting bored now and i know this is boring every1 else, but i think ive proved my point so HA!!!!!!!!!ahem, i mean....er...well.....
lol Amanaduial
Old 03-14-2002, 02:37 PM   #14
Howlin' Pelle

Sting

Don't forget the weed
Old 03-14-2002, 03:28 PM   #15
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Genius is an understatement! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:30 PM   #16
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*takes her moment of silence*

OKAY! Yes: I agree...personally, I got a tingle in ROTK when Gimli said:

"Yes, you have it," said Gimli. "The Lady of the Wood! She read many hearts and desires. Now why did not we wish for some of our own kindsfolk, Legolas?"
Legolas stood before the gate and turned his bright eyes away north and easy, and his fair face was troubled. "I do not think that any would come," he answered. "They have no need to ride to war; war already marches on their own lands."

I do not know, I just had a mental image of fair elves falling in battle and noble dwarves dying valiantly, all in their own homes. I got a little tingle then, I really did! Well, there you go! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #17
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*is also silent for a moment of reflection*

Say, the man was never given a knighthood was he? (by that I include honorary ones too, if such a thing is possible?)
Old 03-16-2002, 01:03 AM   #18
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are no words.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:35 PM   #19
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Silmaril

I've got nothing more to add in my post except my agreement. Fantasy in general isn't a thing I can say I like, but Tolkien is an exception because it's not entirely fantasy, these's so much more to it. And above all the might of a signle person's imagination.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote