The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #41
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Birdie, I don't know if you could say I've really organized anything. It was just me and Maril when we met. I just hopped a ferry and met her at McDonald's.

However, If you plan it for summer a Park is a good Idea then people with families can let their kids come. You'll probably have a better turn-out that way and it would probably be a lot cheaper, too.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #42
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Knowing my parents, they probably will not let me go either way (I understand their concern). But I still feel like putting my dollar-fifty in, if you do not mind.

Pennsylvania sounds like a good place. And family sounds good too.

I vote that you/we dress up if you/we can, if that is within your/our power. I also like the nametag idea. That way, if someone/I forget(s) another person's name, they/I can say something like, "Can you pass the salt...erm...Bethberry?" Then someone/I get(s) thoroughly self-conscious, but soon learn the other people's names.

Ooo! Or you/we could have your screenname with your/our real names underneath it! Better idea!

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 01-29-2003, 06:57 PM   #43
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings all!
I`ve been snooping arround and found a renaissance fair in Lancaster Pa. They appear to be open all year long for functions. I would be willing to drive down to check it out, sort of a pathfinder.Anybody else"willing to have a peep" I found the site at wwwroyalspk@parenfaire.com but that doesn`t seen to work all the tine so you can find it by search mode at PA renaissance faire. At least with this venue we would be in the same costume "ballpark" My 17 year old is up for this to. Iam not sure what expections are out there, or what we want to do . I would be up for a weekend as I am traveling from Boston.
Fair winds and following seas
Alquadae
Old 01-29-2003, 11:58 PM   #44
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really would like to meet some fellow Downers, but Birdie don't do costumes. Wearing a nametag is about as much as I could stand.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 AM   #45
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I'm up for anything. I've an Hobbit costume I can dredge up.

Hey, if we have enough people we can get a 'group rate' at the Museum.

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:06 AM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

This should be fun. We'll have a bunch of hobbits, elves, dwarves, wizards, orcs, wights, wraiths, and Numenoreans, all squinting at a nametag and exclaiming, "Who's this all costumed up like a seventh-ager??? Golly, she looks out of place. I can't see the name tag, can you? Wait... wait. ....Birdland? Birdie! I thought you weren't into costumes! You look outlandish! Foreign! Couldn't you have worn something NORMAL???"
Old 01-30-2003, 11:43 AM   #47
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

New Jersey is also midway between NY and VA!! I root for NJ . . . though I'd probably be more likely to be able to go if it were somewhere in Boston. If my summer plans unfold accordingly, that is!

Yay!!!!!!! A Barrowdowns meeting!
Old 01-30-2003, 11:55 AM   #48
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland, don't worry about it, I'd probably come as a 7th ager as well. (A 7th ager from the Mid-Westernesse!)

If it is family friendly I would stand a chance of getting there. Pittsburgh would be ideal for me. Baltimore would be my second choice (used to live there, in a nice sandy hobbithole on a hillside). Lancaster or D.C. would be a bit more of an ordeal but do-able.

Thinking that maybe we should break it up into smaller regions, maybe. Mid-atlantic, south east, etc. Is that a terrible nasty idea?

I'm a hobbit gosh darn it! Travel's not natural-like. So I root for Pittsburgh! There and back again in 1 day!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #49
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Philly and Pittsburgh are alright, but I'd prefer Baltimore as well. Besides, if we need a scout to check things out in Baltimore I'd be happy to help. I'd be willing to try for something farther north, though.

Aylwen

I'd come dressed as a seventh ager, probably... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 01-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #50
Merri
Wight

Sting

I don't know why I insist on putting my two cents in- I probably won't even be able to go! Still, I figure it's worth a shot.

I like the park idea, and I like the dressing up idea. That way, you/we won't have to go up to random people on the streets asking them, "Are you a Barrowdowner?" and getting weird looks in response. Of course, by dressing up we/you would get weird looks anyway . . . but *shrug* whatever [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 05:07 AM   #51
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I seem to remember there being a big Park between Baltimore and Philadephia but I can't remember the name...

Ah, here it is Longwood Gardens. It's kind of out of the way though.

Then there's Hershey Park in Pennsylvania!

These do come with expenses though.

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 02-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #52
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

New Jersey actually sounds like a happy idea to me.

Sadly, I'd probably wimp out and end up coming as a Seventh Ager too...you could just say, "Who's that really tall, blonde girl in the little teeny clothing? Oh, must be VanimaEdhel! And that pretty tag! Did she make it? Yes, but her mommy did the Calligraphy lettering!"

Then I'd open my mouth, most likely talking about the moon phase, asking whether the stone on your necklace works as a pendulum or not, and asking if anyone else knows Tarot, and you'd see how weird I was, and you'd all run away...

Anyway: New Jersey would most likely be a more feasible option if you actually want the freaky New York girl to attend...
Old 02-02-2003, 02:28 AM   #53
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

OK - We've had a number of places proposed. The ones that are more feasible, at least to me, are Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. These seem to be the most central to the most people.
I like the Toronto idea as well. The only problem I have with is that while it is only a couple hours away from me, it is a bit out of the way for many people.
There have been other things suggested, such as large parks, the Ren Faire site, etc. The only problem with these is that I'm sure that many people will be travelling quite a distance, myself included. If I'm going to be travelling that far, I will want to do more with you guys than just meet up and say 'Hello.'
My idea is that we can meet on some Saturday at a city park for an 'eat-and-greet' picnic lunch, then move on in the later afternoon to a museum or other attraction. We can easily get reservations for dinner together and then (for those willing and old enough) off to the pub for a few pints. Heh - I'm going to do that even if no one else does. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I prefer Pittsburgh or Philly because I have friends or relatives in both towns that can be used as 'local guides' for places to do these things.
Also, since many of us will be travelling and more than likely needing a place to stay, I am also willing to find out information for group discounts at local hotels. This also means that we can still hang out on Sunday - hit the movies, whatever.

So - the short version is that we need to narrow it down to one of these two places (Pittsburgh or Philadelphia), since those are the places I am willing to set something up in. I think we should bring it to a vote. Those that would probably attend if we met up in one of these two cities - please post your choice.

We can work out exact details of our plans later - I just want this bit resolved first.

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #54
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ahh *claps her hands* This is so great!!
I would love to join this!! I know there is a Ren faire that takes place every summer for like 3 or 4 months,(I live in Pennsylvania)
Pittsburgh sounds good too. Let me get back to you on the where and when of the Ren faire. I would love to go as me!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
-(~<~> Yavanna
Old 02-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #55
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm going to Philly in March.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #56
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Regardless of when this moot takes place, I and a few others of the site (and a few others not of the site, but of good merit nevertheless) are meeting in DC and Philly in mid-March (St. Patty's Day week) to do some sightseeing and that sort of thing. Since there are already several of us going, this might be a good idea to work around, or not. Since I am the delegated taxi for a portion of this crowd, I'm willing to be flexible, but keep in mind I live in south Georgia, and am not going to drive to New Jersey/Canada!

Edit: I am not dressing like a hobbit.

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: onewhitetree ]

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #57
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

I could certainly go to either Pittsburgh or Philly, provided that our moot does not coincide with my trip home to Kiev.

Like Birdie, I don't do costumes, unless it's Halloween and I'm a little tipsy.

Unlike Birdie, I have already taken that momentous step and quit smoking (again).

If I don't jet off to Eastern Europe, I shall look forward to meeting everyone who can make it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #58
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
I and a few others of the site (and a few others not of the site, but of good merit nevertheless) are meeting in DC and Philly in mid-March
Since there is going to be a meeting in March, I suggest that those that can make it go then. Since I'm sure that many wouldn't be able to, I am going to plan for something later in the spring or early summer.

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-03-2003, 10:48 PM   #59
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Good Plan.

Early July seems nice.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 PM   #60
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not nearly nice enough, imho.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #61
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Some of you folks may not know me, I just lurk on the forums, but I'm in the chat all the time. In any case, I live in NJ outside of Philly, and I'd love to come to any sort of get-together that may be taking place. In any case, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Lancaster, etc., would all be cool for me; Pittsburgh is a bit far.

As far as timing, I'll echo Kate's preference for weekends, but other than that, I'm fairly open. Early July seems good, since Bethberry and Vanima will be around. Might I suggest Independence Day weekend?
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:55 PM   #62
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Hi, Phrim! Actually, July 4th weekend would be a very bad time to do this, since most Downers will be spending time with their 7th Age families. A non-holiday weekend would be the best. (I assume we at least all agree that this should be on a weekend, right?) Plus can you picture us out-of-towners trying to get a hotel room in Philly on Independence Day weekend? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I'm leaning towards Philly, myself. I don't know much about Pittsburgh, except that it has steel mills. Or it did have steel mills.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:51 PM   #63
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
A non-holiday weekend would be the best. (I assume we at least all agree that this should be on a weekend, right?)
Yes, a non-holiday weekend is definitely what I have in mind.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #64
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

So is Pittsburgh OK then? Seems like a lot of us wouldn't mind going there.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #65
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

Sting

If you mean Pittsburgh for July, then that's fine. However, if you mean Pittsburgh for the March meeting, then no. DC and Philly are the limits.

Well, I'M BACK.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #66
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I don't think my car will last me to Pittsburgh or Philly- it drives about 5 miles in a day and only about 18 miles per hour. But, if I can, I'll be there. Maybe I'll get my brother to lend me his car. Then I'd be the one in the red corvette. Fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I noticed some other Massachusettians on this board and I know there are more lurking around the 'Downs. If anyone wanted to speak up about a meeting of Massachusettians (I'm thinking King Richard's Faire- perfect time of the year, nice location, horrible parking, and outrageous prices, what more could you want?), I'd be willing to help co-ordinate.

Back the th east-coast meeting- My personal vote is for Philly, but I don't mind Pittsburgh. I'm a little frightened by New York, but I have nothing against it. New Jersey's nice. Washington and points south are beyond me.

I will make whatever effort I can to be at one though! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

--Aran/Cúdae
Old 02-10-2003, 10:20 PM   #67
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Yep. Pittsburgh or Philly in June or July.

I still need more input as to what people would prefer.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #68
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I'd prefer July, but what do I matter?
Old 02-11-2003, 06:23 AM   #69
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

As a matter of fact, babe, you're one of the main reasons I'd like to go.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #70
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Awwww. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, if anybody else wants to see me, you'll be able to see me in July. Or in August. In June, I should be in Eastern Europe, should being the key term here. You never know with Russian people, we always do things very last-minute.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #71
Merri
Wight

Sting

Cúdae, where in Massachusetts is that? I'll be in the Boston area from late June to early August, hopefully. So, I could do something around Harvard-Square . . .
Old 02-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #72
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Harvard Square? (ears twitch) Hey, that's not far for me either. Nice public place. Wonder if The Harvard Coop is still there-- great huge bookstore. Should have every conceivable LOTR book in stock... shame on 'em if they don't...

Richard's Faire, however, isn't for me... Not my kind of thing...

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 02-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #73
Merri
Wight

Sting

Richard's Faire? What's that?

I'm hopefully going to be spending the summer at a summer school program at Harvard (I know, it sounds weird, I'm looking forward to summer school, but they offer really cool college-level courses in things like Tibetan and Sanskrit and . . . well, all sorts of stuff. PM me if you want the link), which is why I'll be near Harvard-Square and able to meet anyone nearby.

[EDIT]: And I think college students can join it too . . .

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #74
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Lush, you have just made a very strong case for July rather than June. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 08:11 PM   #75
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

King Richards Faire
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 AM   #76
Merri
Wight

That sounds fun . . . but I doubt I'll be able to go . . .
Old 02-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #77
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, looks like we're pretty set on July, for either Pittsburgh or Philly. Did a quick tally of people who have expressed definite opinions on the location, here's what I came up with:

Pittsburgh
-----------------
Bruce MacCulloch
Beren87
Durelen
Hilde Bracegirdle

Philadelphia
-----------------
Rimbaud
Aylwen Dreamsong
onewhitetree
Phrim

Anyone else have a vote?
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:02 PM   #78
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

Sting

Excuse me, but I do believe that my vote counts twice.

Well, I'M BACK.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #79
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

My vote's for Philly, but I will abide by the majority.

July is fine with me, just so long as it is not the July 4th holiday weekend. (Reasons for that sited above.)
Old 02-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #80
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Pennsylvania, huh? Count me out of the running then, as I cannot come if it's out of New York State...oh well, maybe next time...