The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Thumbs up Member Article Published in Centar Ardo

This may not be the right forum for this, but I trust the mods to move it if need be.

Those of you who know me on Livejournal might have been made aware that I was asked a little while back to write a a concise, accessible summary of the findings so far of the Warwickshire Hoard for Centar Ardo, the journal of the Arda Historical Society. I received permission from the journal to republish the essay online, so I thought it'd be worth sharing with you. It's been posted here, if you'd like to take a look.

I should add that if you're not a member of the Arda Historical Society, you should join it. It includes both amateurs and professionals--archaeologists, philologists, antiquarians--anyone and everyone who's interested in looking into the actual history of Arda, whether through the literary sources that have survived to us or the actual material leavings. If you can write up a decent grant proposal, there's the potential for good money in it, too--the Tolkien Estate will often provide funding to continue the work of J.R.R. Tolkien, the famous editor and translator of the Red Book texts, including more scientific analyses such as the ones referred to in the article.

I'd love to start up some discussion around this publication in particular, and the Warwickshire Hoard in general. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Great article, and well written! Makes me wonder why I haven't heard of any of this before.

Mnemo, can you tell me wha exactly is the Warwickshire Hoard? I don't really get that part.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That is a massive ammount of work and dedication! Congrats on a great article, had not read anything on M-e from a purely scientific point of view.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Galadriel55, the Warwickshire Hoard is an archaeological discovery made in Warwickshire on April 1, 2008 by a metal detecting enthusiast. Usually "hoards" like these are stashes of coins from the Roman period or later, buried in distress (say, from a Viking raid), but this particular discovery immediately appeared to date from much earlier, and was a metal box containing (as we now know) recipes from the years that the area was settled by hobbits. It has, of course, taken some time for the appropriate analyses to be made, and published, but there's just enough literature out there that they needed someone who is really good at translating Scientificese into layspeak so that the greater populus could be made aware of what we now think the hoard means.

The Might, if you're near an academic library, you might want to see if they have Middle-earth Archaeology in their holdings, or, if not, whether they have access to JSTOR. I think it's on a number of more scientific databases as well. Anyhow, that is the go-to place for the latest scientific research on the historical Middle-earth.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
...made in Warwickshire on April 1
Very thematic. I just noticed that you started the thread on April 1st as well...

This April Fools thing... Just can't trust anyone... Don't know if to believe this or not.

But either way it sounded very believable to a Tolkien fanatic like me who is trying to prove that ME is our world.

I hope it isn't a joke. Seriously. Please tell me it's not, or I'm going to feel like the biggest fool there's ever been on April Fools.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tom Shippey has an interesting say about Middle-earth archeology here.