The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
micklejohn

How good is The Hobbit in comparison to the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Hey
I wanted to read the trilogy, but my family already had the Hobbit, so I'm reading it first to see if I like it. I'm still at the beginning but it's a bit tedious. Is the trilogy a lot better than the Hobbit? Should I just be patient because The Hobbit gets better? Anything else I should know about reading these books?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Hobbit is only half as good as the Lord Of The Rings; but the trilogy is trice as good as the Silmarillion which in turn is twice as good as Farmer Giles making this book six times worse than the trilogy but still twice as good as Eragon.

Does that answer your question?

Edit: Seriously though, The Hobbit is written as a children's fairy tale story, with some grown up material thrown into the mix. The Lord Of The Ring -trilogy is a novel written with adults in mind, with a more serious subject matter and style. The trilogy is certainly more popular but some people still prefer The Hobbit. What makes you think the beginning of the Hobbit is tedious?

Last edited by skip spence; 12-11-2009 at 05:33 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
The Hobbit is trivial compared to The Lord of the Rings. As Skip says, it was written as a children's story and the style is completely different from Tolkien's other works. I didn't much care for The Hobbit, but I loved The Lord of the Rings.

But my favorite is still The Silmarillion!
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Disagree I've reread the Hobbit so many times I've read through LOTR once and attempted to muscle my way through again a few times generally getting stuck in TTT... LOTR as good as it is is longwinded like Stephen King descriptions are too long... the pacing seems slow... the hobbit is more snap-snap-snap kind of pace where as LOTR is snap......snap...........snap
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
R.
Animated Skeleton

R. has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think The Hobbit is trivial just different. If you find The Hobbit tedious i don't imagine you'll read the LOTR it's very long and descriptive. Basically what everybody else says.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
The hobbit gets better
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote