The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 01 - The Taming of Sméagol

We now leave the travellers in Rohan and Gondor behind to catch up with Frodo and Sam again. As the lands that surround them are barren, so is the cast of characters - only two at the beginning of the first chapter, plus one more during its course. There is some descriptive writing, showing us the landscape through which they are attempting to travel.

Frodo says something very important almost at the beginning:
Quote:
It's my doom, I think, to go to that Shadow yonder, so that a way will be found. But will good or evil show it to me? What hope we had was in speed. Delay plays into the Enemy's hands...
And then comes a sentence that seems to echo Aragorn's similar statements from Chapter 1 of Book 3:
Quote:
All my choices have proved ill.
As for Aragorn, later events prove that this isn't true.

One object is very significant in this chapter, and it almost seems to be a character - the Elven rope. It radiates light, gives hope, courage and confidence to the good persons, loosens when needed, and hurts the evil character. How significant is it that Sam called Galadriel's name when taking leave of the rope? Why does it (and the Elven cloaks too, apparently) hurt Gollum?

There is another statement that echoes one of the Three Hunters - Frodo says:
Quote:
I wish there was a clear path in front of us: then I'd go on till my legs gave way.
Remember Gimli's words?
Quote:
My legs ... would be more willing, if my heart were less heavy.

Gollum's appearance is foreshadowed for both Frodo and Sam as well as the readers. The gleaming eyes and the soft but audible sounds give him away. Then comes a direct echo of words from the past, the quote about pity.

It's interesting to read Sam's point of view about seeing Frodo and Gollum, different and yet similar. Frodo shows himself as Master here! How does what Gollum says make you see his character? What do you think of his promise - can he be expected to keep it?

There's one little mystery that is left unresolved - the fact that Frodo could not see when he fell down the cleft. What reason can you imagine for that, and what significance do you think it had?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote