Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #121
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Having noticed the changing weather Peony and Gwenneth arrive back at the stables. Dismounting and heading into the stables, Gwenneth turned to Peony, "That was a wonderful ride. Thank you for going with me."

At that moment Elenath stumbled inturrupting Peony's reply. Quickly checking over her horse, Gwenneth noticed a loose stone on the ground and realized it was the cause of the stumble.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-17-2004, 06:17 PM   #122
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
The rain drove symestreem inside from where she had been walking. As it was, her cloak was wet through. She hurried up to the bar, scribbled a message on her slate, and slid it across.

Can I have a glass of whatever hot drink you have back there?

In a moment, a cup of hot tea was slid across the bar to the mute woman.
Thanks.

She looked for a seat by the fire where she could dry her cloak. Was that one next to the dwarf? Holding her tea with one hand and her slate with the other, she wove her way through the mass of tables. Was that a fortune-teller? He was staring at his teacup intently enough, and he certainly looked disreputable enough. Or perhaps he had imbibed too profusely of the glass next to him.

A drunken hobbit lurched in front of her and she dodged to avoid him. In the process, she bumped the man's table rather heavily. His cup of tea went over and spilled down her back, but the man grabbed the bottle before it could join the fun. Luckily, the tea was cool enough that it did not scald her.

I'm sorry! she scrawled, and placed the slate on the table. Here, take my cup, I think we have the same thing. Her cup joined the slate on the table. He seemed to not even notice. After watching his face for a minute, she retrieved her slate.

At least she was warm. She might as well put the cloak out in the rain to wash out. As symestreem headed back towards the door, she received some odd looks from the other people.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #123
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony and Gwenneth returned from their ride. Peony had enjoyed the ride
with Gwenneth and the conversation that had occupied it. They spoke of
many things, from the weather to the passing of the Elves to the Grey
Havens.

The two returned their horses to the stable. Peony removed Surefoot's
saddle and began brushing her off. Gwenneth did the same. The elf
whispered elvish things into her mare's ear.

Peony just talked to Surefoot like she was a person. "Been my friend
all this way Surefoot. I hope you enjoyed the ride." The horse nudged
Peony's chest. "Be good and I'll bring you back an apple."

She looked over to Gwenneth, "I'm starving. Want to go and get
something to eat?"
Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 PM   #124
starkat
Wight

"That sounds good," the elf maid replied. Turning to her horse, Gwenneth made sure the stall door was securely fastened. Following Peony, the two of them went into the inn.

On their way down the path, they noticed a woman hanging out her cloak to wash clean in the rain. Calling out to her Gwenneth asked, “We’re headed inside for something to eat. Would you like to join us?”
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #125
symestreem
Face in the Water

Symestreem turned as she was addressed. She realized she hadn't eaten since breakfast, and nodded her head to indicate assent. She tried to write Yes, thanks on her slate, but the water washed away the words and dampened her slate pencil.

So she ducked inside and handed the slate to the two as they passed her. Then she followed them to a table, being careful not to lose her balance.

Drat, she was soaked again. Well, it was warm in the common room. She'd dry off soon. She cast a strange look at the one she thought was a fortune-teller- he was still staring at his cup. Then the mute musician felt hunger pangs and hurried to catch up with the others.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-18-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #126
starkat
Wight

Gwenneth pulled out a chair for the woman. As she and Peony sat down she introduced herself, “My name is Gwenneth. This is my new friend Peony. What is your name?”

As the other woman dried her slate off, Gwenneth looked around the room taking in the scene. Fingering the jewel she wore around her neck, she realized that her companions were trying to get her attention.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #127
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Niara

Niara walked in silently, her black rangers cloak leaving small drops behind her; it had been too long since she had been in human company, or any company for that matter. She slipped across the room, straining to seem as comfortable as she was not, and seated herself in a corner near a window. The sound of rain outside soothed her, she loved it, so real, quieting and constant. She asked for an ale.

When it arrived, Niara thanked the server, who smiled, then pulled back her hood as the maid left. She undid the knot that held it fast when she traveled, and her deep brown hair tumbled down, far past her shoulders, in swirls and ringlets; a few rested against her ruddy cheeks, and some landed over her shoulders and rested on her breast. She closed her eyes and sipped her ale. Trying to melt into the shadows where she belonged. But something would not let her.

As the only daughter of a ranger, she had learned by example how to use her senses at heightened levels. And then the war had come... everything had been destroyed. Her home, her life, she was alone. Left with nothing but the love she held for those that had kept such sorrows as her own from overthrowing the whole of Middle Earth. The great king himself had been a ranger, Niara wondered often whether he had known her father.

The liquid blue spheres of her eyes stared blankly about as she pondered these things, having long since given up trying to forget them. She saw her brother, her father, so handsome both of them. And her mother... They were all gone. She was filled with regret for the spitefullness she had shown them, yet they had all praised her other virtues, patience, dignity, courage... none of which she could herself see. She was too late to stifle the single tear that slid down her cheek.

All at once, as reality filtered in through her visionary daydreams, she noticed that her ale glass was empty, and there was someone watching her...
Old 05-18-2004, 05:54 AM   #128
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"Symestreem," Peony said, reading the off the slate. "Very nice name indeed." Peony looked around the inn for a moment trying to find Deva, but no sign of him anywhere.

"So, where do you come from Symestreem?" While Peony waited for Symestreem to scribble down an answer she turned to Gwenneth, "What shall we have for lunch." She waited patiently for both to answer.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:42 AM   #129
starkat
Wight

"I'm in the mood for some soup since it's so wet outside." Gwenneth leaned back in her chair. "What about you?"

Hearing the door open, the three companions turned and watched as a woman in a dark cloak entered the room. Realizing that symestreem had finished, Gwenneth and Peony returned their attention to her.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #130
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
Adu was alone once again. Isaac had walked outside and she didn't have an idea of what to do now. She could tell that she had struck a nerve. Adu decided that she shouldn't have any hard feelings toward Isaac or Jack. She had to give him another chance to be her friend. Even if it meant going through the trouble again. Adu got up and walked outside. She noticed that Avalon, Cree's crow, was flying around a particular tree. "What have you found bird?"

Adu walked over to the tree and saw that Isaac was sitting on a branch. Adu didn't know if he had seen her or not so she began to shake the bottom of the tree. Before she knew it Isaac was laying on the ground beside her feet. Adu did everything she could to keep from laughing but her laughter couldn't be contained. First it was just a giggle then it became a full out laugh. She felt someone grab a hold of her ankles and the next thing she knew she was laying on the ground.

Adu wasn't use to having her friend back so she just looked at Isaac and saw that he found it funny. Adu didn't know whether to laugh or get angry. "Isaac you don't have to leave. Stay here for a while. Our dear friend Hama will be back in a few days. He will be relieved to see that you are alive. Then if you wish to leave you can. After all I will have a new General to look after. General Hama of Rohan. Oh how I missed those days." Adu went on talking about the past and thinking about what would happen when Hama did get back. Would he be angry with Isaac because he left me alone and never came back.

Oh Hama I wish you could have waited a little bit before leaving me. All I want is to have you back. Perhaps some day I can forget my past and start everything over anew. Oh wouldn't life be so much better. She looked at Isaac, everything was better now that she had her friend back and Hama was going to take over Dorian's position.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #131
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

There were two of them. Just watching. What did they want?

She requested another ale, and tried to absorb herself in it. But they were still watching, and now they were talking. A third, presumably another of their companions, now turned. Niara dared not imagine what she would do if they approached. If only she had a magic ring, she could be invisible, float out of the room like a cloud...But that was impossible.

Her right hand strayed down to the hilt of the knife that hung at her side. A comfort, though she would not dare use it. Surely the occupants and visitors of so pleasant an inn could not be unfriendly. Her left hand swept softly across her lightly freckled complexion, removing the droplets left by the rain. She took another drink.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:27 AM   #132
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Archsage Isaac has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Archsage Isaac
Isaac looked at Adu and slightly shook his head. "Adu, you know I don't remember who Hama is, nor do I know what you mean by a new general to look after." he said, lying back on the ground and looking up at the sky. He turned his head and looked at Adu and smiled, but soon stopped again and was just as serious as he ever was.

"Adu, you might want me to stay but why? You said it yourself that I have no life with you and that your life wasn't so goodd after I left. Why would you want me to stay and then leave again? Would that not cause you pain again?" Isaac asked. He reached over and took hold of one of her hands in his. "I don't want to cause you anymore pain, Adu. However, if you honestly want me to stay then I will stay, for you..." he added, staring deep into her eyes, "...because I get the feeling that some of your old feelings are resurfacing."

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-18-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #133
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama looked up at the sky, he had been riding for nearly a day, nearly non-stop. He was at the misty mountains, the halfway point in his journey and had already started riding along them...he sighed and strolled over to his horse that he had been letting drink in the river. He saddled up once again and started riding, he hadn't far to go now, maybe he would reach Rohan even this evening, then a day of rest and recuperation, then two days back to the Dragon. He smiled and wondered what Aduthondiel was doing now, probably enjoying herself, he mused.

He set off at a gallop, pressing his horse harder and harder to ride. He whispered "Come on, come on" in Rohirric into its ear as he bent forwards to its neck. He looked up and saw mountains running down his left for miles, all he could see were mountains...it was a long way to go...
Old 05-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #134
symestreem
Face in the Water

Soup is fine. Everything they have here is good. Then she remembered Peony's other question. I come from west of here. My family has a small settlement in the empty lands.

She looked around and signaled for one of the servers. And where do you two hail from? It is strange indeed to find an elf on the borders of the Shire. One of the merry hobbit lasses came up and took their orders, returning shortly with steaming bowls of soup.

Are either of you musicians, by chance? She pushed the slate over to her table mates and started on her soup.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #135
starkat
Wight

One of the servers came over and as they placed their orders, Gwenneth fiddled with the jewel around her neck. "I am from a little of everywhere. My parents travel and my brothers live near the sea. In my family when we reach a certain age, we set out and travel for a few years. I am just beginning my travels."

"In answer to your music question, I am afraid I do not play an instrument. I wish I did. My brothers both play flutes and my mother the harp. I do sing a little. What insturment do you play?" Turning to Peony the elf maid asked, "What about you? Do you play an instrument?"

Last edited by starkat; 05-18-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #136
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Peony smiled, "Yes, I play the flute." She remembered the first time she picked it up. She could not put her father's flute down so he finally gave in and gave it to her. "I have been playing for some fifteen years. As for your other question, I come from Minas Tirith."

Once again Peony scanned for Deva. She saw him sitting in a corner eating. "Do you travel alone Symestreem?"
Old 05-18-2004, 04:18 PM   #137
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dark clouds had moved in front of the sun, and Lily was feeling a little bit chilled. She was also stiff from sitting in her chair for so long. She stood up, stretched, and said, "I'm going to go get some tea. Would any of you like some?" Willow, Mira, and Ferran all politely declined. Lily wandered over to the bar. She was in no hurry, and it felt good to stretch her legs after sitting so long.

"I would like some tea, please," she said to the Hobbit server. Lily grasped the cup that was given to her, and it instantly warmed her hands. She took a sip. It was nice and hot. "Thank you," she said. She carried her tea back over to her table, being careful not to spill. She sat down at the table again. As when she had first sat down, silence had taken over the table. Now what do we talk about? Lily tried desperately to think of something. The silence was getting to her. She took another sip of tea.

"How long do you all expect to be staying at the Green Dragon?" she asked at last. "And Willow and Mira, how long have you been here?"
Old 05-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #138
symestreem
Face in the Water

I usually travel alone, because not many go where I go. I have traveled with others before, she wrote as she ate her soup. It seemed to be some sort of vegetable stew, with fennel added. I play the pipe, the fiddle, the accordian, and the piano. If I can ever find another one of those she wrote, wishing she could put emotions into the impersonal letters on the slate. And you? Do you two travel alone?

She frowned as she focused on a woman in a ranger cloak who was sipping a drink and staring around the room suspiciously. Was that a knife she was reaching for? But the woman's hand came up empty. Her gaze continued to roam the room, and symestreem did not miss the fact that she was sitting with her back to the wall, not far from the man absorbed in his tea.
Who is that over there? she mouthed to her companions, as they were still reading the slate.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #139
starkat
Wight

Looking up from reading, Gwenneth looked over where Symestreem had gestured. Seeing the woman in the dark cloak, the elf maid took a closer look. “I have not seen her before, but isn’t she dressed as a ranger?”

Taking the final sip of her soup, Gwenneth sighed, “That was wonderful. I travel alone right now, because I have just begun my travels. I have always assumed that when I made friends along the way and if we were going the same way, we would travel together for a time.”

All of a sudden, a small man scurries up to Gwenneth. "A letter for you my lady," he said before he ran off. Opening it Gwenneth's face went pale. Her companions looked at her. "What's wrong?" Peony asked.

Looking up from the letter, Gwenneth said, "It is a letter from my oldest brother. My mother needs me for a few days. If you will excuse me I must leave." Turning to Peony and handing her the room key, she asked, "Would you give this back to the innkeeper and explain that I had to leave. I will return, but right now I must go." Smiling at symestreem, she bowed and then took her leave.

Last edited by starkat; 05-19-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #140
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Willow

Willow nodded sharply as a rumble of thunder hit sharply. She jumped, realizing that Lily had been talking. "Oh!" she said, sitting up sharper. "I'm so sorry, Lily, I'm afraid I must've dozed off. What were you saying?" she asked, wincing. It wasn't exactly a pleasurable thing to fall asleep in one of the hard wooden chairs, and Willow founf herself to be quite sore now.

"Who long have you been here," Lily repeated, a hint of frusteration underneath her friendly air. The other hobbit sipped at her tea as she looked at Willow.

"Oh." Willow stopped, counting in her mind. Thunder rolled in the distance, and there was a feel of rain in the air, she noted. "I've been in Hobbiton a few days, I had stayed with a cousin of my father for a few days, and then here, for two days. I arrived the day of the party, and didn't know anything about the fire until then."

She sighed, straighened her hair which had falled into quite a mess-- she hadn't braided it very well that morning, and it was into the afternoon now. There was a faint sound of rain tapping on the roof as the clouds began to break fourth. And it was well, they did need some of the rain, the land always could use it. It was gray outside now, and the clouds were thick, hiding all trace of the eariler sunlight that had lit the area.

"And what of you, Lily?" Willow asked. "How long have you been here?"
Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 AM   #141
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
Hama please hurry. Adu couldn't stand it any longer. "Go Isaac if you must. Its like I said my feelings for you have died away." Adu was angry and did her best to hide it but felt that it wasn't enough. She pushed herself up and went to the inn. Adu knew that if she had stayed any longer something bad would have happened. Her sword was still at her side and even though she wasn't one for an arguement she wasn't goign to sit there and let him tell her about herself. Adu got herself a mug of ale and went to sit all by herself.

There are so many things I need to sort out. I'll never have feelings for Isaac. He's not my Jack. For all I care Jack is dead. No matter what she tried she couldn't calm herself down. She really needed the ride with Count but the weather still didn't look real good. Adu wondered where Crystal could be. Perhaps she's with Angry and their life is so much better than mine is now. Adu got lost in the reflection her ale was giving off. She sat there staring at her ale and didn't pay attention to what was going on around her.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #142
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Isaac stood and watched Adu go back into the Inn. He'd struck another nerve. He thought about going into the inn to try and apologize, but decided not to. He'd spoken his share already, there was really nothing left for him to say. Her words had cut him like a knife. He walked back over to the tree he was sitting on earlier. He layed his head against the tree and closed his eyes, trying to think.

"What have I done? I've got to make things right before I leave." he said as he walked back into the inn, more precisely over to Adu. "Adu, I'm truly sorry. But take joy, you'll not see me again. I've decided to move my departure up to tonight, that is unless you have some specific reason for me to stay. I'll leave you to Hama. Good bye, Aduthondiel." he said. He slightly bowed and turned, walked back out the door, and sat near it, silently awaiting nightfall's approach...

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-19-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #143
symestreem
Face in the Water

Symestreem looked after the departing elf maid. I hope everything's all right with her, she wrote. There's not much that will alarm an elf....
May the winds speed you on your journey she thought, although Gwenneth was not sailing. The sentiment was the same.

She caught the server's eye and, through signs, asked for something to drink. Then she excused herself to go retrieve her cloak.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:33 PM   #144
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Elkamia

Having followed Arrow into the Inn when he refused to stay in the stables, and explained to Eleniel why he was wandering about, she had returned to her horse. She'd not bothered with a saddle and rein, like ever. Annufin had never taken to them. Instead she had gone bareback, using her legs and spoken commands. Years of practise rearing and riding horses had taught her to ride without a saddle and rein.

Now she returned to the Inn, the rain gliding off her waxed black cloak. She groomed her mare, fed her, and went into the Inn.

As soon as she was in, she flicked off the black cloak and hung it up, revealing the warmer one underneath. The waxed cloak was fine for the wet, but for warmth and comfort she had to have the other. She then sat on a stool by the bar, and ordered an ale. Unusual for her, as a rule. She preferred a clear head, but she was confined here by the weather.

Noticing the woman in the black cloak a little further down the bar, she shuffled along a few stools. "Care for some company? Though you look like a loner, so feel free to tell me to get lost. The name's Elkamia, by the way." She hoped she'd get a reply, and not sit there feeling like an idiot.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #145
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Lily was puzzled by her own frustation. Why am I so irritable all of a sudden? she wondered. Another peal of thunder rolled in. Lily shuddered almost imperceptibly. She hated thunderstorms. That must be it. The rain. And the late night yesterday evening. Willow's probably as tired as you. No wonder she dozed off! Lily took another sip of tea, hoping the warm drink would help. Tea was usually very soothing, but her mood was still a bit cloudly, like the sky. Still, she tried to remain friendly and not let it show.

"I left Bree, oh, 10 days ago," said Lily, smiling. "I only arrived in Hobbiton yesterday evening. I'll probably be staying for a week or so. Maybe longer or shorter. I really don't have any plans for my trip to the Shire. What about you three? How long will you be staying?" Lily asked, as if she had not already. She figured Willow hadn't heard that part either. She took another sip of tea and brushed back the same wisp of hair that she had gotten out of her way earlier. Calm down she told herself. No need to be so edgy. It's only a little thunder. Just relax, and enjoy your chat.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #146
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Peony found herself sitting alone at the table. She finished off her soup and leaned back in the chair. She looked around the room, Deva had left, probably to take a nap. Lazy Dwarf, she thought.

Looking over she saw the woman ranger who Symestreem and Gwenneth had been watching. She smiled and gestured to the seat across from her. Maybe she could talk to Niara. Or maybe the ranger would ignore her and Peony would be stuck sitting alone in the common room.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:36 PM   #147
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aduthondiel
Adu didn't like what Isaac had to say to her. Even though she was a little angry at him she couldn't stand to see him leave again. She slowly got up and walked outside to find Isaac. She knew he hadn't noticed she was there.

"Isaac, I didn't appreciate what you said. I don't want to loose you again." The coldness in her voice was enough to freeze his bones. All Adu wanted to do was keep her friends close by. "So what do you say. Stay a little bit."
Old 05-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #148
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Isaac looked up at Adu, he looked as if he was staring into her very soul with those cold blue eyes of his. "Adu, you sound sincere enough, but just please tell me why you want me to stay." he said, more like pleaded, to Adu. He looked back into the forest, more precisely the tree he'd been sitting earlier. Avalon was perched there, the crow seemed to be shifting it's gaze between Adu and Isaac. Isaac brought one of his legs closer to him and rested his arm on it.

Isaac shook his head and almost laughed. He quickly stopped himself though for fear of Adu thinking he'd gone mad. "Adu, if you insist on staying out here with me you may as well have a seat." he said then brushed off an area beside him and smiled, inviting her to sit. At first she refused but then changed her mind and accepted his invitation. "I used to often wonder what I was like before I lost my past. How I acted, what I used to do, if being your Jack had any affect on who I am now or not. I finally realized that I'm not who I am because of my past, I'm who I am because it's what I want. Now I'm beginning to think that I'd give almost anything to be Jack once again..." As he said these words he looked over to Adu, who was watching him intently, she had a look on her face like she didn't know what to do about anything anymore, a confused look. "A penny for your thoughts? I'd offer more, but I don't have anything else." he said, slightly chuckling. It wasn't meant to be funny, but it brought a slight smile to Adu's face...
Old 05-20-2004, 12:35 AM   #149
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

Willow smiled at Lily, her soft brown eyes seeming to look right through the walls, and to the land beyond the inn, where rain was softly falling. The skies were now gray, and clouds were even thicker, a light rain falling, and thunder heard in the distance. "I do not know how long I will be staying," she answered softly. "I may stay on longer, but then again, I may not. Actually, I intend on leaving for a while, and then to return later if possible, I have to return to the North Moors for a while, in a few days."

Her face remained friendly, though there was a hint of tiredness in her eyes, and her smile faded from her face. She looked longing, almost, wishing for something, maybe. She bruched her hair back, and sighed, looking around, her eyes still soft, and her expression unreadable. "Who knows," she said softly. "Maybe I'll be able to go to Bree some day, and see your town. I do indeed wish that I could."

Willow smiled faintly, thinking of the parts of the Shire that she called home, and of the rain. Her mind was cluttered up with so much, and her thoughts led her everywhere. She fidgeted with her hair mindlessly, as she smiled. Willow shifted slightly; her leg cramped from sitting so long, and even falling asleep.

She yawned. The later nights were catching up to her, and the rain called for laziness, just sitting around and idly talking. Willow was actually quite shocked to see that someone had left, even in the rain, though she herself quite liked the feel of raindrops splashing down from the sky, to hit her gently on the face.

She was almost too tired to think of even going outdoors now. Yawning, and brushing her hair back again, she turned to Lily, and asked: "Why is it that you came to Hobbiton anyhow?"
Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 AM   #150
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aduthondiel
Adu didn't know what to tell Isaac. It seemed like she wanted Jack back but didn't want a close friend like she did before. "It tore me up the last time you left. I didn't know whether or not I was going to see you again." Adu moved her hand up to place her hair behind her ear. "What else do I have to do to prove to you that our friendship is still very strong. I don't care if you can remember who I am and what happened after you left. All I want is to have my closess friend back." Adu couldn't change the way her words came out. The cold-heartedness still remained.

Adu thought she heard Avalon shriek but noticed it was just the wind. Perhaps a crow had just captured its dinner, Adu wasn't sure anymore. Adu could have left with Hama, but she didn't. Hama wanted her to stay here. Even though her thoughts rested on Hama she couldn't help but wonder what had happened to Isaac when he left her. Anything could have occured but yet again someone could be playing a trick on her. The only thing she could do was to believe Isaac and believe that what he was telling her was true. Adu stared at the tree line and began to get lost in each different leaf.

What if what he says to me is all a lie? I can't think of that now. It would kill me to know that somewhere out there is my Jack. I would love it if this was Jack's brother and not Jack. Everything would be ok then.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #151
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Niara

Perhaps due in part to the ale, though such things had never had much effect on her, Niara began finally to relax. Two of the Watchers at the bar had departed, in haste that should have caused wonder; but by the look of she who left first, it was a personal matter. The last glanced her direction, but seemed disinterested--or perhaps troubled. She decided not to bother about it, she was safe here.

She leaned forward, her delicate, weatherworn fingers tracing the knotted patterns of the wooden table. The light shining through her glass of ale projected intricate, translucent patterns that played on its surface. She began an invisible outline of an eye... his eye. Warm and brown and deep... She concentrated, her dark ringlets falling and creating a thin curtain on either side of her face. Shielding her from as much of her lonliness as she could concievably imagine.

Suddenly she realized someone was speaking to her. And it wasn't the server. She looked up, the strangers eyes were questioning, nervously. Niara hadn't been listening, what had she said? She searched her memory...Chiding herself-- if this maid had been an enemy, she would be dead. Ah, there it was...

Now to answer.

"Please, stay." she said. "I am Niara." She wished she could smile.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #152
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

"What else do I have to do to prove to you that our friendship is still very strong. I don't care if you can remember who I am and what happened after you left. All I want is to have my closess friend back." Adu's words hit him like a brick wall. He wasn't suprised by her tone, he deserved nothing less than that. He couldn't help but smile though.

"Adu, I'm right here. I may not be the Jack that you knew, but at least I'm here." he said. Isaac was as truly sincere as he could be with what he said next. "I won't leave you again, I promise you this. Unless, of course, you want me to leave." He laugned again, this time it was more of a nervous laugh than anything else. Adu looked at him in dead silence. "I take it from your silence that I told you that once before?" he said as he once again found himself staring at her...

Isaac looked away and back at the clouds. From the look on Adu's face she didn't fully trust Isaac. "Adu, I sense that you don't think that I'm sincere when I say that I am... was Jack. No, I guess that I am Jack, just with a new name. You can trust me, I'm not lying to you, Adu." he said once again looking to his left at her.

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-20-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:54 PM   #153
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
"Nice to meet you, Niara." Elkamia smiled, pleased that she hadn't been completely ignored. "Are you staying here long?" She didn't usually speak to many people like this, but had loosened up when she had realised that not everyone in the world, particularly in the Shire, was out to slide a knife between her ribs. She'd relaxed, and had the courage to speak to strangers.

She sipped at her ale, savouring the alcohol. She was usually one for wine, but so many things had happened here, so many things were done differently, that she'd felt like ale tonight. And wine sometimes made her look like a pansy, so to speak, when she was anything but. If some of the people who'd ridiculed her for drinking wine in the past could have seen her on the battlefield, they'd soon change their mind. Elkamia's attention returned to the woman next to her.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #154
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

As the conversation drew on, Lily became more and more curious about Willow. It seemed to Lily that for all of her friendly, positive exterior Willow had experienced a lot of sorrow. And then there was the comment last night about the fiddle... Hm. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out, thought Lily. "Why is it that you came to Hobbiton anyhow?" asked Willow, yawning again.

"Well, my uncle travelled quite a bit when he was younger. He told lots of stories. No one ever knew if they were true or not, but they were good stories anyhow," Lily began, chuckling. "I guess I always sort of wanted to see the places he talked about. And the places in his books. It got to a point, I suppose, that Bree seemed too familiar. Like there was nothing new to see. So I decided to see the world, or some of it, anyway. Uncle Longo, he said I should start with the Shire, to see if exploring was really for me, and he recommended the Green Dragon as a good place to start. So here I am," Lily finished. She took another sip of tea, and ruefully realized it was nearly gone. It was good tea, too. I'll just have to get some more later, she decided.

"And you? What brings you to Hobbiton?" Lily asked. She glanced at Mira and Ferran. Lily felt kind of bad for excluding them, but they didn't appear to be listening anyway. Not my problem, she decided. They can join in if they want.

Last edited by Firefoot; 06-20-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #155
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling moved away from the scene of his confrontation with Bredan with something like victory in his eye. He was glad that it had not come to blows with the young man, for he had come to value the good opinion of Aman and would have…regretted doing anything that could earn him her approbation. As he came into the Common Room he saw Toby at his usual table, leaning his head back against the wall and smoking his long and elaborate pipe. The old fellow’s eyes were closed but Snaveling could tell from where he stood that he was not asleep. For the first time since he was a child, Snaveling felt something stir in his breast that was akin to genuine affection. Of all those who had given so much to the Man in his time at the Inn, it was the friendship and good humour of the gentlehobbit that had perhaps done the most good. With Galadel and even Aman, he had been the recipient of good will and wishes from those who stood above him in some way. As for Roa, his feelings toward her – as different as they were now than when they had first met – continued as the feelings that one gives to one’s better. But with Toby there had been genuine comradeship from the beginning. Rogues and thieves they had been when they met, and rogues and thieves they remained, perhaps, but they had learned much together, and from each other.

Snaveling smiled to look upon his friend, but a gentle touch on his shoulder called his attention. He turned to find Roa standing before him, dressed once more in her travelling clothes. Her red hair was bound back into a braid and her pack was strapped securely beneath her cloak. Her eyes were hard and business-like as she spoke. “Snaveling,” she began formally, “I have received word from my King that I am to return to Minas Tirith immediately. I have been looking for you all morning to say that you must be ready to depart ere the evening, and now that time is almost upon us. If we do not leave now we will not have a chance to reach Bree before night and will be forced to spend a night upon the cold ground.”

Snaveling looked at Roa with a mixture of longing and despair. His heart beat out its indecision in his chest, torn between the desire to leap upward at the prospect of weeks spent in the close company of the Woman, and the need to fall for the loss of the Inn where it would ever be home. He stared at Roa in silence for a time, searching for the words he needed. “Snaveling,” she prompted him, “Did you hear what I’ve said? We must leave, now. I have obtained a horse for myself from the Thain but I have yet to find you a mount. I’m afraid that your reputation has spread through these parts and there are few who are willing to loan you their animal, even on the assurance of a Ranger! I am off just now to speak with the Thain – I am sure he will lend me another horse on the surety of King Elessar, on whose authority I can speak. I will be back within this half hour – you must be ready to depart by then.”

Snaveling nodded dumbly, trying to take in the flood of information. Roa moved away, but paused for a moment and looked back at him, “I know you are loath to leave this place. I am too. But I am bound by my duty to heed my King, and you are bound by your oath to accompany me before him, where you shall receive justice at his hand. Justice, but also mercy, I think.” She looked at him for a moment more and then left the Inn.

Snaveling’s mind swam as he rushed to the stables. He quickly removed his rich new cloak and gently folded it into his pack. He threw over his clothes the only sturdy piece of clothing that he had upon him when he arrived: his ragged, travel-stained cloak. The rest of his rags he left where they lay. It did not take him long to pack up his few belongings and put them into his pack. With one last look around at the stall that had become his home, he left the stables and went back to the Inn to make his farewells.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #156
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman watched Snaveling as Roa talked at him, noticing how his face suddenly fell - or rather, how his expression seemed to totally freeze up. Same thing with Snaveling, she observed mentally. It is a shame - all who pass through the Dragon eventually move on. But maybe...maybe some will be tempted to stay awhile...

The hopeful thought was cut off as Snaveling nodded dumbly, then almost stumbled to the Inn door, surprisingly undignified bearing in mind his usual regal posture. The Innkeeper couldn't see his face, but she knew something was wrong. Roa suddenly turned to look directly at the Innkeeper, her red braid swinging slightly. Aman looked away, busying herself with some glasses and a dishcloth. She knew then what was going to happen, although she pushed it aside, wishing it wasn't true. He loves her, yet she will be the one who will tear him from this peaceful niche he has dug for himself...

As Snaveling re-entered, he caught Aman's eye and seemed to hesitate. The Innkeeper held his gaze for a second, then served the two elves at the bar quickly, her curiosity at the way one appeared mute irrelevant for the moment. Opening the flap into the bar, the darted through, crossing the room to where Snaveling stood. His face....the expression still seemed frozen, and yet at the same time it was alive with a strange mix of emotions that Aman could barely begin to define. Reaching out a hand, she touched his gently, speaking softly. "Snaveling, what is the matter?"
Old 05-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #157
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
He had intended to take his farewell of Toby first, but Aman’s touch commanded his attention – and he was relieved somewhat to be able to put off the painful duty to disturb his friend’s rest with such unwelcome news. He looked into Aman’s eyes and noted, for the first time, what it was that had captivated Bredan so. He took her hand in his and looked down at it, not knowing what to say. He could feel the eyes of the room upon them, but it was as though they were back in her study, hidden from everyone. His heart belonged to Roa, but for the first time since he had realised this, he wished it were not so, and that he was free to give it to another…

He looked at the Innkeeper once more. “Roa has received a message that she must return to her King, and I am bound by my oath to go with her. Strange,” he said thoughtfully as he looked about the room, “I had not thought that this parting would pain me so, but it does. This is the first place I have known in a very long time that I could call home – and home will it be to me for evermore! I know not when I shall return to this place, but I promise you, I will come back, to renew our friendship.” He clasped her hand to his heart and stood straight, his eyes fixing her with their intensity. “I have enjoyed our conversations more than I think you know, Aman. I thank you for the counsel you have given me, and for the faith that you have shown in me. I am sorry that there is nothing I can do to repay you for all that you have done.”

Aman smiled and returned the pressure of his hand. “You can repay me, my friend, by learning to trust others enough to show them what you have shown only to me. I have indeed given you much advice, perhaps too much! – but perhaps you are willing to hear a bit more?”

Snaveling smiled down at her. “Aye, my friend,” he said. “Between us, there will ever be the ability to speak our minds to the very limit – and the heart to listen.”

“I am glad to hear you say so. Then listen – you are proud, and rash and prone to act without thought in the heat of your anger or passions. When you are before the King, do not speak without first taking counsel with your sense and your heart. He is wise and merciful and fair, but he is still a Man, and a mighty and passionate Man at that. He will not take kindly to an heir of Ar-Pharazôn claiming his birth-right before the Throne of the King, nor will he look kindly on one who attempted harm to one of his kin.”

“I will take care, my friend. When I appear before Roa’s King, I will pretend that you are with me, and speak only as you would have me do.” He let go her hand and made to turn away, but he stopped himself and looked at her once more, as though in contemplation of her face. When he did act, it was with an authority and grace that left Aman breathless with wonder. Seizing her by the shoulders he lowered his head and kissed her gently upon the brow in token of the friendship that had grown between them. And when he spoke, it was as though Aman beheld a King of the elder days, so stern and mighty was his aspect. “May the light of Earendil guide you to your home, my friend. When you look upon it as it sets in the West that is now fallen beneath the waves, think of me!” And with that he left her and strode to the table where Tobias Hornblower sat in quite contemplation of the inside of his eyelids.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #158
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

Willow smiled faintly as Lily spoke of her reasoning to coming into the Shire. The Green Dragon being a fine place to start. Willow allowed herself to smile, it was a fine reasoning, and indeed, she would agree that the Green Dragon was as good a place as any to start, certainly for a hobbit from out of the Shire. What hobbit with any sense would travel to say, Gonder on their first trip from their hone anyhow? "And you? What brings you to Hobbiton?" asked Lily, finishing up with her words as to why she had left Bree.

Willow glanced over at Mira and Farran, both of whom were talking quietly, and she shrugged, and begin softly, ingoring the the rain pattering on the walls, driving her insane to step outside into the fair mists of the rainfall.

"I was from the North Moors," she began quietly. "I spent much of my childhood there-- I am older then I look, by perhaps five years, or so."

Her voice was soft as she spoke, trying as hard not to bring up painful memories, just the ones she had no choice but to recall. "When my parents both died from some strange sickness, I had no choice but to away, and stay with other family members. I went to stay with some cousins for a while, bit it was hard to impose on them, with their large family, so Hobbitton seemed the best choice, as I had some family here, and the Green Dragon was here to stay at. It was death that brought me here, Lily, sadness, and sorrow. I came here to try escape that which I knew happened."

Willow sighed, and shifted, trying to get her mind off that past. Her parents in bed, coughing.... rain falling outdoors, no way to escape the inevitable... darkness and shadows haunting the house as the fire flickered out... she was too little to rekindle the flame... her grandfather falling ill next, when she went to stay with them... her mother, handing the child Willow the cherrywood fiddle... Willow shook her head hard, trying to get the memories out of her mind.

Outdoors, the rain continued to fall, and the gray skies reminding her all too well of that one day. Willow breathed out hard. "Would you like to get more tea?" she asked, trying her best to keep the tremor from her voice, and cheer in her voice as she remembered everything all too clearly. She put her hand to her mouth to stiffle a slight cough as she stood up, and smiled the best she could, trying to hold back the memories...
Old 05-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #159
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tobias Hornblower’s eyes were closed, but they began to drift open, his heavy eyelid uplifting to allow his clouded eyes to look up at his compatriot. He saw the look on Snaveling’s face, a look he’d seen from the start of the brisk morning till this rainy portion of the day. He was not blind, nor deaf to the words and the thoughts of his newest friend here, and he knew what was occurring. He had heard what snippets he needed to of the surrounding conversations, and did not need further prompting. Though he was usually, more or less, in the dark to anything and everything going on around him, he knew, and Snaveling knew he knew, what was going to happen soon enough. With a more solemn air than Snaveling had ever seen on the rodent-like features of Toby, the Halfling spoke first.

“You’re leaving, aren’t you?” he said, oddly cold as his voice faded. Snaveling nodded soberly, having already deduced Toby’s educated guess, “Yes, Toby. I wanted to say goodbye. Toby-” The hobbit cut him off before he could continue, slowly standing from his seat, looking three times as old as he was as he seemed to sluggishly struggle to his feet, but stood fully upright, still considerably shorter than his counterpart. Snaveling’s farewell oration faded and fell back in his throat as, forcing the words, Toby began to speak again, his usual droning voice replaced by one of strength and warmth within.

“My friend…my dear friend, Snaveling…From the first moment I saw you I knew, as you knew when you look upon me, that it was not a good man…or, in my case, a good hobbit at heart who you looked upon. We were thieves, we were rogues then…but, as much of that still lives in us, we have grown much since that day…If I have not already, I wish to again thank you. Snaveling, even though I do not believe you were trying to, you taught me something, which I never expected to learn from a man such as yourself, or any man. I did not know I was capable of befriending foreigners, or much of anyone. The only real companions I’ve had were back in Longbottom, and we were all comrades there, so I held no special bond to them.”

The Halfling’s gaze flinched, almost involuntarily, turning down from Snaveling, who tried in vain to follow it down. Toby had always looked merry to him, at least somewhat, or extremely suspicious, but very rarely this stern. The little being, stuffed so foolishly into his twinkling outfit with the smoke-wreathed pipe still wedged into a side pocket, looked almost philosophical as he pondered his next words, hesitating over each one.

“You…and Roa, and Galadel, and Miss Amanduial as well have all grown in my eyes. You were a scoundrel and a thief, Roa a mysterious and suspicious maid, Galadel an shady elf, Aman a rustic horsemistress, but the shroud over my eyes has been lifted, Snaveling. I don’t see you that way any more, any of you. I see an upstanding man with the first good dreams he’s ever had, I see a fair maiden, noble, kind, I see an elf, beautiful and majestic, and a good friend who happens to have a say in how much ale I get in the morning. I thought I could never look on any of you as such, but now I do…and, Snaveling, I have you to thank for it.”

“My friend, do you see what I see in this room? I see, now more than ever, people who have come together, united, to talk and to sing and to be happy together. These people don’t care about the gold in their pockets or the weed in their pipe, they care about merriment, about happiness…and even, some, about each other…" he drifted off, his phrase withering as he shot the last fiendish glance, tempered with a friendly grin, at Snaveling, considering his 'plight', "Snaveling," he continued, the grin dissapearing as he returned to marble-stiff seriousness, "today I can say, beyond the mystic shadow of a doubt, that I am one of them! When I return in a week or so Longbottom after my stay here, I won’t care about my money, my fields of Longbottom Leaf, my grand estate in the Southfarthing, oh no. When I return, I’m going to call all my young cousins and nieces and nephews together around me, and I’m going to tell them about you, Snaveling, and about Roa, and about all the rest. I’m going to tell them the story of the great fire of the Green Dragon and of the heroes who made all right again. Until today, I’ve known countless tales of hobbit heroes, but I’ve never known any man or woman with the courage I saw. I was honored to be with them, and with you, and I was happy to be there because I saw you and all my friends changing, coming together, and I knew that if I spent one more minute of my short life wrenching for a couple of gold coins, I’d die a miserable old fool without a care for the world around me, unloved and uncared for by anyone on this Middle-Earth.”

He looked up, slowly but surely, looking at Snaveling, a delicate sparkling glint evident in his left eye. Just as they always did, his sharp ears were quivering very meekly as a smile crossed his lips. It seemed to Snaveling that his distinct protrusion had faded, and he looked more a hobbit than he ever had before. Something more than the withered glint was shimmering in Toby’s eye, but Snaveling did not bother to guess as to what it was, since he already knew better than any, though he’d never expected to see such a thing from the roguish Halfling. Toby's face at last broke again into a soothing smile, which crested his face like a new sunrise on a dark night, and Snaveling could not help but smile back.

“Snaveling, I don’t know how many friends you’ve ever had in your life, or how many you have now, but I want you to know, if you ever return to the Shire, you will have a friend there, ready to except you at his door. I wish you as luck as I can and hope your journey will be a safe and good one…And, Snaveling, there will be, in the Southfarthing of the Shire, just a league north of Longbottom, a small house surrounded by trees…empty…waiting for the man who owns it now. Three weeks ago, I promised you a house of your own in Roa’s tent after the fire…I am a hobbit who keeps his word.”
Old 05-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #160
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Lily could hardly believe what she was hearing. She had thought there was something behind Willow, and that was it. She was sorry she had asked, as it obviously pained Willow immensely to remember it. Willow finished with the words, "It was death that brought me here, Lily, sadness, and sorrow. I came here to try escape that which I knew happened." It struck Lily to the core. Hastily Willow stood up, asking if Lily would like some more tea.

"Yes, please," Lily murmured. She looked up at Willow, unsure of what to say. Sometimes, she supposed, saying nothing was best, but her dark brown eyes were full of sympathy and sorrow for Willow. Willow turned to get the tea, leaving Lily alone with her thoughts. Hard times had fallen on Lily's family as well, but nothing like what Lily had heard from Willow. Lily had had a dog die once, but that was as close to death as she had ever been. She couldn't imagine what Willow had went through. She decided that unless Willow brought it up, Lily wouldn't mention it. No need to give Willow more grief than she was obviously experiencing.

Lily's thoughts turned to the pitter-patter, pitter-patter of the rain on the roof. She could hear the claps of thunder in the distance, moving ever closer. Lily shuddered again. Oh, how she hated thunder and the memories that came back with it! She wished she could forget that day twelve years ago when her father's shop had burned down because of a lightning strike and all their troubles had started. She could forget about every day of her life - except for when rain fell.

Willow returned with the tea, handing a cup to Lily. Lily accepted gratefully and took a sip of the hot tea. Hot tea can soothe anything, Lily thought. Now if only this accursed rain would stop!