The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Would There Ever Be a Possibility...?

This idea is kind of out there, and I am not sure if it could ever be properly done or organized.

But think of this --- after Jackson's movies, us fans (those truly devoted to the book) are always saying how we think PJ should have added this, or not added that, or should have done something differently. Do you think we, as the BarrowDowns community, could ever have the ability to actually do things differently? Do we as die hard fans have enough means to create our own film version of The Lord of the Rings?

I am not talking about a full scale movie theatre version, not only because it is unrealistic, but also because it is far too soon to ever approach another LotR official dramatization not to mention the blessing of the Estate would most likely never be attained. I am talking about somebody who has the video recording abilities to create an acceptable, clear movie of how the fans would have loved to see LotR. YouTube, anyone?

In all reality, I suppose this idea is one of the biggest long shots, ever. We would have to cast, write, and all take a certain amount of time out of our lives to film. I, for one, would be all for it, however we would also have to take into account money, transportation, filming location, etc.

I know it's a crazy idea, and it is one that just crossed my mind the other day because I was thinking how we as fans could create an underground masterpiece of the book we love so much. It's just an idea that I thought would make for some good discussion. Who knows what could happen?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Matthew .... you are a young man while I am an older one. I have little doubt that the type of technology you are describing will come to pass if you get to be my age. I envision a day when average people can pretty much save every frame of a film in a very sophisticated computer, be able to digitally remix or remaster it using advanced version of what today we call CGI, change things you want and pretty much make your own movie.

Patience is the key. I may not live to see it but you may well live to make it happen.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hmm.. reminds me of a Werewolf game I saw once... now who was that visionary (and beautiful, charming and lovable) mod?

Seriously, that would be simply awesome -- although I should be old enough to know better... I would love to help out, in some capacity, on a project like that.
I don't know what I could do, but I'd love to be involved.

I can think of someone who would probably be a lot more help (if she's interested and has the time, of course), but she's travelling in Europe at the moment...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think the biggest problem in such project is that we live at relatively long distances from one another so it would be very difficult to manage. Something like a radio series would be easier because everybody could do that in their home. Actually, a couple of people were thinking about such a project some time ago but they never got far. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think the biggest problem in such project is that we live at relatively long distances from one another so it would be very difficult to manage. Something like a radio series would be easier because everybody could do that in their home. Actually, a couple of people were thinking about such a project some time ago but they never got far. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread...
I am not opposed to a radio series --- this could work. Do you know details on how we could go about that? Although I would still like to think there is some hope we could do a live action project...

Do you guys suggest I make a different thread with a more catchy title? I wonder if more people are interested.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Do you guys suggest I make a different thread with a more catchy title? I wonder if more people are interested.
You could pm a mod and ask for the title of this one to be changed.

What about animation (computer), btw? Possibly within the reach (technically and financially) of a bunch of amateurs, and can be worked on by people long distances from each other - and it can be done in non-cheesy ways. Plus, my brother does it for a living.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My friend and I were talking about how you could get more in if each chapter was like a different episode of a show or something, and each episode could be an allotted time... you could show each chapter how it should have been seen by the mass amounts of people who have never read the books!

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but my explaining is a bit choppy, please forgive me!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
My friend and I were talking about how you could get more in if each chapter was like a different episode of a show or something, and each episode could be an allotted time... you could show each chapter how it should have been seen by the mass amounts of people who have never read the books!

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but my explaining is a bit choppy, please forgive me!
I kind of understand what you're saying...you mean we could film each chapter within a certain amount of time? Say 45 minutes, for example? If so, that is a good idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

This is a pretty cool idea, but rather hard. Some Downers live near each other and can collaborate easily. However, there are Downers, like myself, who live hours away from the nearest member and it makes it harder to contribute to this sort of project. But if a reasonable and realistic way (like Lommy's radio suggestion) can be found, I think this is a great idea and am completely willing to help in any way I can.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
Could the fan community make a film? If we hired actors, yes. In terms of scripting though it would fail. It would fail because every fan has such clearly defined ideas of the series and what should be left in.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
I kind of understand what you're saying...you mean we could film each chapter within a certain amount of time? Say 45 minutes, for example? If so, that is a good idea.
Exactly, I just couldn't get the words out... sometimes I draw a blank...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love the idea, but I do think that it's a bit unrealistic to do. Good one MatthewM!