The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #41
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmmmm... how about Christopher Plummer?

(Full disclosure: Plummer was my fantasy casting for Denethor- Peter Cushing and Basil Rathbone being permanently unavailable).
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #42
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Can anyone identify an American actor who has done a credible English accent--there have been several lamentable ones.
Yes, Sean Astin in ... The Lord of the Rings movies!

Here's my suggestion for Smaug and it's waaaaaay out of left field: Paul Darrow. He played "Avon" in Blake's Seven. He is still alive - anyone who remembers Blake's Seven should recall his sneering, supercilious, "born to rule" voice.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #43
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm... personally, I'd love to hear Tim Curry as Smaug. To quote Bêthberry's description from the Dragons thread:
Quote:
Someone arrogant, pompus, narcissistic, greedy, self-indulgent, self-satisfied, smug, vengeful, wrathful.
Doesn't that sound familiar?

Come down to my lair
and see what's heaped up there
I see you shiver with anticip-p-pation...
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #44
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
- Peter Cushing and Basil Rathbone being permanently unavailable).
Pointless coincidences time! Setting aside Cushing's long association with Christopher Lee, his best friend, at Hammer Pictures, check this out:

Tolkien was born in 1892 to English parents in the independent (Boer) Orange Free State. Rathbone was born in 1892 to English parents in the independent (Boer) Transvaal Republic. Tolkien and Rathbone both removed to England at the age of three, in 1895. Tolkien and Rathbone both enlisted in 1916, both in Lancashire regiments (the Lancashire Fusiliers and the King's Liverpool Regiment, respectively).

Otherwise, though- Rathbone never attended University. He enlisted as a private but rose to captain, serving at the front until war's end (and winning the MC). In 1934 Rathbone moved permanently to the USA, which Tolkien never visited.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #45
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
Personally I would quite like Alan Rickman as Smaug.

He is a very fine, versatile actor both on stage & film; and has a very remarkable voice depending on the character he is playing.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #46
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
geek-time-

For Elder Scrolls fans. The voice of Lucien from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

or Tim Curry.
morgan Freeman

Too bad he died but Tony Jay would have rocked!

William hootkins

or geoffrey rush

or...

Me that's right I want to send in an audition tape something wrong with thaT?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #47
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
geek-time-

Yeah, I could see that. The voice actor would have to put a little more brawn into the voice of Smaug than he did with his Lucien half-whisper, but it could work.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #48
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Now who exactly was Lucien again? It's been a while since I played...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Lucien Lachance. Dark Brotherhood quest-line. Comes to you while you're sleeping after your first murder. Is killed by the other assassins at the end of the quest-line. That guy.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #50
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
wow fellow geeks, I'm impressed.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #51
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
wow fellow geeks, I'm impressed.
Did you like Shivering Isles?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #52
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Lucien Lachance. Dark Brotherhood quest-line.
Ah - the vampire, right? Thanks, Gwath. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever heard his voice in the English original. Time for a rerun, perhaps...
Quote:
Did you like Shivering Isles?
Loved it - the coolest part of all Oblivion! Sheogorath rocks!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #53
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Ah - the vampire, right? Thanks, Gwath. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever heard his voice in the English original. Time for a rerun, perhaps...
No no, not the vampire. THIS GUY.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #54
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

I see. It's been too long...

Anybody feel inspired to move this thread back on topic?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #55
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I was about to request the same thing before we gets into troubles.

quickly though.... Sheogorath was OK in shivering Isles... his voice was cooler at his shrine "now go away before I kill you"....

any voic of smaug yes very tricky to do...
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 AM   #56
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Martin Shaw's narration of The Silmarillion is good enough for my vote, if you haven't heard it you're missing out.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #57
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
What do you think about Keith Allen? He is the Sheriff of Nottingham in BBC's Robin Hood and plays a priveleged little git, but also a sneaky (yet clever) liar. Although, I should say "was the sheriff," as he announced in April he would not return for a 4th season, wanting to move onto other projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aosG18gjCpI

That's kind of depressing, one of the reasons I watch the show is because his performance as the Sheriff is always enjoyable.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #58
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
What do you think about Keith Allen? He is the Sheriff of Nottingham in BBC's Robin Hood and plays a priveleged little git, but also a sneaky (yet clever) liar. Although, I should say "was the sheriff," as he announced in April he would not return for a 4th season, wanting to move onto other projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aosG18gjCpI

That's kind of depressing, one of the reasons I watch the show is because his performance as the Sheriff is always enjoyable.
It depends. He does sound quite cunning and mocking, but his voice doesn't seem powerful enough to be a dragon's, but maybe that's just in his role as a sheriff.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #59
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
Terry Gilliam?
Okay, that made me chuckle!

Smaug needs to have a raspy voice! Raspy, and NOT American!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #60
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I wonder if an American accent could work, though...Smaug is essentially an Yankee businessman: individualistic, pragmatic, and ruthless. With the right actor, it could work.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #61
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I Take Exception with that description of Americans, really that's EVERY business man so really using that logic ANY accent would work.

Sorry, just found that comment offensive.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #62
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
An American accent could indeed work. What about Dustin Hoffman?

(Smaug describing his aeronautical abilities)
Quote:
I'm a very good flyer.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #63
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
I Take Exception with that description of Americans, really that's EVERY business man so really using that logic ANY accent would work.

Sorry, just found that comment offensive.
As an American myself, I can say things like that about my countryfolk if I want to.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #64
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
An American accent could indeed work. What about Dustin Hoffman?

(Smaug describing his aeronautical abilities)
Or Al Pacino? Not subtle enough, maybe?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #65
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I liked Hoffman as Captain Hook...hmm wonder if that would qualify him as a good voice for a dragon.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #66
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know... I see (er... hear?) Smaug as having a very deep, rumbling, yet articulate, mellifluous voice.

Or... wait a minute! What about Sean Connery? He's already done a dragon and I think he did a fairly good job of it, regardless of how the movie turned out.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #67
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay Sean Connery Has yet to make a movie I like League of extradinary Gentlmen was good in Spite of him!

If he does Smaug I'll turn into Dauby and smack my head into a wall
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #68
Boo Radley
Wight

Quote:
Okay Sean Connery Has yet to make a movie I like League of extradinary Gentlmen was good in Spite of him!

If he does Smaug I'll turn into Dauby and smack my head into a wall
You didn't like "The Molly Maguires"? And he was the best James Bond there ever was.
But I digress...
How about Brian Blessed? If he's still vertical.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #69
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
You didn't like "The Molly Maguires"?
Or Time Bandits?

The more I think about it, the more I like the suggestion of Connery as Smaug. At first I thought his voice is a little too distinctively Scottish, whereas I had always heard Smaug's as more of an upper class English accent. But Connery's voice does have a certain mellifluence and the, for lack of a better word, gravitas that I think Smaug needs.

Brian Blessed is a good voice actor but he strikes me as a little too big and booming for Smaug.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #70
Boo Radley
Wight

Thumbs up

Okay, Connery it is. I'll have my people call his people.
We'll do lunch.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #71
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I wonder if an American accent could work, though...Smaug is essentially an Yankee businessman: individualistic, pragmatic, and ruthless. With the right actor, it could work.
Watch it there. I the New Yorker of the forum.

Anyway here is a suggestion. John Noble. He played Denethor in Return of the King. The actor is from New Zealand but he usually uses an American accent for his roles.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #72
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Well,recycling is really effective when it comes to nature,but imagine what is going to happen if his voice is iddentified

"oh,here comes the psyco-dude again!"
Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #73
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

lance henricksn admiral hackett from mass effect is AWESOME

And NO! bad peoples Woody Allen was the best Bond followed by Pierce Brosnin
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #74
Boo Radley
Wight

Quote:
lance henricksn admiral hackett from mass effect is AWESOME

And NO! bad peoples Woody Allen was the best Bond followed by Pierce Brosnin
OK, I'll give you Woody Allen, but... Brosnin?
Too much of the dandy to my way of thinking.

Henricksen certainly has the voice for Smaug... but I almost think the voice should convey some sense of nobility and I'm not 100% sure he could pull it off.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #75
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

and Connery would? Fine what about and this is a stretch but I think the theatrics would make it so freakin' Sweet! Gene Wilder! I think that would be cool

see the thing, main thing, with connery is he's to well known you see or hear him you see or hear connery not the character he plays himself these actors make themselves the character

I don't want to watch Bilbo speaking riddles then say "oh yeah that's connery" he doesn't absorb me into movies if you see my meaning, there are a few who can't do that like Tim curry, but he does now anyway mostly comedies so I get past it. Dramas and actions I NEED to be absorbed. Know what I mean?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #76
Boo Radley
Wight

I think Gene Wilder is too much of a stretch. I'd expect him to break into "Puttin' on the Ritz"

(And I'll bet that just me saying that has got it running through your head right now... eh? Am I right???)

Orson Welles could have done it, but unfortunately, he's no longer vertical.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #77
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

preferred Alice in wonderland got him singing the lobster dance song... as well as pure imagination, that part of Young Frankenstien Kind Of bugged me I block it out, much better in Blazing saddles.

If he were vertical, as you put it, Richard Boone, the original Smaug,

how about harland willians... for really no reason other than he's not Sean Connery
Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #78
Boo Radley
Wight

1420!

For that matter, Danny Devito isn't Sean Connery either.

(Yet somehow... I'm now imagining Devito as doing Smaug. This may bear consideration. Either that or I need to start cutting the meds in half...)
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #79
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Interesting. The Danny DeVito Taxi character (Louie) seemed
to have a Smaug mindset toward dominating his little world,
and even seemed to keep Elaine around as much as anything
for eye candy (like Smaug his gold and other treasures).
But I still like Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder, especially the series
with Hugh Laurie in Regency England.

Bilbo taunts Smaug, so Smaug says:
"Oh really! And after I dispose of you who will your dwarves
send next. Bilbo the Younger, Bilbo the baby, Bilbo the embryo,
Bilbo the gleam in his parents eyes?."
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #80
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Interesting. The Danny DeVito Taxi character (Louie) seemed
to have a Smaug mindset toward dominating his little world,
and even seemed to keep Elaine around as much as anything
for eye candy (like Smaug his gold and other treasures).
But I still like Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder, especially the series
with Hugh Laurie in Regency England.

Bilbo taunts Smaug, so Smaug says:
"Oh really! And after I dispose of you who will your dwarves
send next. Bilbo the Younger, Bilbo the baby, Bilbo the embryo,
Bilbo the gleam in his parents eyes?."
If Rowan does it I pledge to see it 10 times in theatres