The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
thephantomcredits
Animated Skeleton

thephantomcredits has just left Hobbiton.
Sting **RotK - Gothmog (Chief Orc at the Pelennor)

How did the Chief Org under The witch king perish?? Was he run over by the charge of rohan? Was he killed by the dead army??? Is this another EE wrap up???<p>[ 8:36 PM December 27, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quite possibly. He was probably crushed by the Rohirrim.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I still wish that rock would have fallen on him for it was such a big let down when he side-stepped it. But killing him like that would have been too easy.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I still wish that rock would have fallen on him for it was such a big let down when he side-stepped it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That orc really really annoyed me. The stupid jerk had the nerve to step aside from that rock, I really wish I could have seen it squash him. I don't know why he irritated me so much, but his horrible face cept popping up and I was like 'just go awaaaay!'
Old 12-27-2003, 03:52 PM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think they should have let the fans onto the set to decide what to do with him. I think a lot of people really hate his Goonies costume, and I for one would love to get in there and burst his piñata with a few well-placed hits from a spiky club.<P>He'll probably be killed by one of our heroes in the extended edition. My guess is Aragorn.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Arathyn

Sting

I just hope SOMEONE kills him! I mean for goodness sakes, he's uglier than heck and he killed that one Gondorian who was Faramir's sergeant or something. He deserves to be killed in the Ex Ed.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> that one Gondorian who was Faramir's sergeant or something <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>'Twas Mablung.<P>And the name of the "Chief Orc" was Gothmog (played by Laurence Makaore, who also played Lurtz and the Witch-King), so there is some basis in the book for his presence (although whether Gothmog is one of the Nazgul, or an Orc, or something else, is never explained in the book).<P>Personally, I thought that it was a good call to characterise an Orcish leader for the Battle of Pelennor Fields. I only wish that they had done a better job with the make-up. In some shots it looked good, but mostly it looked rather amateurish (surprisingly, considering the high quality of the special effects otherwise in these films). And why did he have to look like the Elephant Man? (I have never seen the Goonies.)<P>Having only seen the film once (so far) I was myself wondering the other day whether there was a shot of his final demise. All I remember is him reluctantly retreating when the Riders of Rohan arrived. I agree that one of the heroes is likely to get the chance to finish him in the Extended Edition, hopefully Theoden.<P>Edit: There was no "official" thread for Gothmog, so I have re-named this topic as such.<p>[ 8:37 PM December 27, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-28-2003, 03:02 AM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you meaning the one who looked like the Elephant Man? (I had to watch that film in 9th grade health and I immediately thought of that character when I saw him)<P>Oh, I didn't like him at all, I really wanted him to die, and I too was mad when he stepped out of the target of that rock. I know he died in some way, and hopefully they will show us how he died in the EE, because I really want to find out.<p>[ 4:03 AM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An example of why the screenwriters shouldn't make up characters...he sucked. Apart from sidestepping the rock. That was cool.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gothmog is one of the Nazgul, or an Orc, or something else, is never explained in the book). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>YEs something like that is in the book. We know he cant be one of the Naz becuase Khamul is the only one given. J and C tolkein say that the other nazgul are unkown and that Khamul is the obnly ever written about. So, by that deduction, Gothmog was and orc or uruk named after the lord of balrogs. Much like grond was named after the "Hammer of the Underworld"<P>But me, being jaded, cynical, evil, and filled with blood lust found him to be awsome.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Perhaps he got killed by Eomer's severe bad breath, during one of said Horse-lord's famous screams?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:14 PM   #12
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I thought he got run over by Aragorn and the green guys at Harlond. Am I remembering incorrectly?<P>-Lily
Old 12-28-2003, 06:24 PM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, his death was never shown. I can only assume that they filmed one. You don't introduce a character like that without filming a death for him.<P>H.C.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:01 PM   #14
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That was the most disgusting thing in the whole trilogy! Yuk! I couldnt watch the parts with that guy in it, which of course means the actor did a fantastic job!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #15
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

That was the same actor that played the witchking and the cheif Warg rider in TTT.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #16
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I thought that one orc that wore a skull for a hat was pretty disgusting too but we know for sure he died for he was the one that said, "Late as usual! Pirate scum! Come on you sea rats! Get off your ships!" Then the dead army came along....

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That was the same actor that played the witchking and the cheif Warg rider in TTT. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Laurence Makoare played Gothmog, in addition to the Witch-King, and Lurtz in FotR.<P>The "chief" Warg Rider (named Sharku) was played by Jed Brophy, who also appeared in Braindead, one of Jackson's very early films (a wonderful gore-fest), and also Heavenly Creatures.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #18
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Laurence Makoare played Gothmog, in addition to the Witch-King, and Lurtz in FotR.<P>The "chief" Warg Rider (named Sharku) was played by Jed Brophy, who also appeared in Braindead, one of Jackson's very early films (a wonderful gore-fest), and also Heavenly Creatures.<P>--------------------<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well i at least got the witchking and gothmog part right. He played Lurtz? I did not know that.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #19
Reg Pither
Pile O'Bones

Reg Pither has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good grief, how could I not have seen it?!? It never once occurred to me while watching the film that the pathetic Elephant Man/Goonies creature was supposed to be the great Gothmog! That's taken my opinion of the film down a good notch or two.
Reg Pither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 AM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He'll probably be killed by one of our heroes in the extended edition. My guess is Aragorn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This 'orc' probably will be killed by Aragorn, unless they scrapped one of his death scenes, because:<P>*I watched some hour long thing on NBC on RotK before the movie came out, & they talked about how the (& I quote) 'pink-faced orc' ( ), was played by the guy who played Lurtz. Before that, they showed him being hewn down by Aragorn, so I presume that's how he will be taken out (thankfully), & hopefully not trouble the unhappy RotK viewers any longer. <P>To me, the guy is a classic example of <I>someone</I> letting their imagination run away with. Come on, he's pink! Have we ever seen an orc like him? How did this one orc get to look so different (& incredibly stupid) compared to the other ones? Etc., etc., oh yes, & (as I've mentioned on another thread) he's also equipped with the sterotypical-bad-guy-voice . Just a pathetic character I thought. Surely they can have another roughly normal looking orc to stand out as captain? Look at the leader of the Uruk-Hai in TTT, he stood out pretty well, & yet looked like a 'normal' orc. Just my thought .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:43 PM   #21
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Come on, he's pink! Have we ever seen an orc like him? How did this one orc get to look so different (& incredibly stupid) compared to the other ones? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe he was an albino? I don't know. When I was watching RotK, I just knew him as "that tumorous (sp?) orc." I'm glad to find out that he's Gothmog. They should've mentioned that in the movie, so it wouldn't be so confusing. I was so disappointed when he didn't get squashed by that boulder. I look forward with relish to when he dies!<p>[ 3:44 PM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]
Old 12-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #22
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It was suggested by someone on the Downs that it was the filmmakers attempt to introduce a non-black evil character to avoid accusations of racism.<P>I personally thought that movie-Gothmog looked (I'm sorry for saying this again but I feel that its necessary) like a pig, and thus ridiculous. I especially didn't like the part where he spat on the rock.<P>I would much rather have had a terrifying, huge Uruk in that position. (though not under the name Gothmog, as I don't believe Gothmog was an Orc)
Old 01-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #23
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

He's Ganon. :'(<P>Yet very, very soon before the film came out (2 weeks I think) they had a picture of gothmog in the Sunday Times Magazine - and he looked AMAZING!!! It was only a head+shoulders shot, but he looked brilliant! On par with the WItch King! He basically had some hideous helm with bits of bone and horn sticking and writhing out of it, he looked more monster than human(oid)!<P>So imagine my shock when we got Mr Blobby...

Old 01-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #24
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I would much rather have had a terrifying, huge Uruk in that position.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wouldn't that have been impossible because Uruk's were creations of Saurman, and Sauron only had the ability to create armies of orcs?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #25
Everlen
Pile O'Bones

Everlen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think in the book it talkes about Sauron having uruks also. Maybe not I can't remember. I agree with the part where he spits on the rock. He can't even close his mouth with all that insulation-foam-looking stuff on his face, so how was he suppose to aim his spit at all? If he really had it would just have run down his face... that mental picture is funny! Ahahaha! I called him the Half-orc-half-brain character. Ugh. I hated him. The way he should die is by a troll nocking his head off because the troll gets too annoyed with them. Then the rest of the orcs cheer...
Everlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #26
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The race of Uruks actually is believed to have first appeared in Mordor. This raises an interesting point, since it means that all or almost all of the orcs at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in the movies must have been Uruks, since they fought in broad daylight, as regular orcs are not at all wont to do. In the books this was explained by the darkening of the sky, but the movie only briefly and inconclusively touched upon the darkening, and for all intents and purposes it was still very much daylight out at the Battle.<p>[ 3:02 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 01-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #27
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Argh! Serious mind blank here...I've read it five times, and I can't remember who Gothmog was!!!! <P>And that whole Uruk-hai thing has really confused me...because I had thought Sauron created them (how I don't know- someone enlighten me?), but Saruman did something too...or am I getting confused with the movies? *Bangs head on the wall*<P>Argh man, that orc poster was terrifying...my German teacher kept bringing me the posters because I don't get the Times at home...lol.<P>But I couldn't stand looking at Mr. Blobby...I thought his prosthetics must have got melted or something, he looked so demented. And that bit with the rock...I swear it wasn't just the audience who wanted him dead (aren't we a bloodthirsty lot?! I want to see Braindead now...erm what is it about exactly?), I swear the other orcs wanted him dead too...
Old 01-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #28
nobody
Haunting Spirit

nobody has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Gothmog should have been a black Númenórean or at least an uruk, but not a mere snaga. He could not have been a ringwraith as I think in Unfinished Tales it says that all the Nazgûl except the Witchking were confused and disoriented in daylight, especially Khamûl. The movie battle never had any sky darkening or anything, so he should have been a Black Númenórean.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #29
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Uruks and Uruk-hai are different.<P>Yes, I know it's the same word, but that's because bred Orks are hardly going to call themselves "Uruk 2.0" are they! <P>Uruks are basically toughter Orks...sun still gets to them, but not as bad I'm willling to guess, but only because they're tough enough to put up with it.<P>Uruk-hai on the other hand are Half-Ork, Half-Men bred by Saruman, and can withstand the sun fine, even though they don't like it, and they're taller and stronger and generally better in every way than normal orks. Uruk 2.0 indeed!<P>Don't worry about not remembering Gothmog - he only appears in 1 sentance in RotK, where it says that after the WItch King's death Gothmog, leiuetnant of Morgul, calls up reserve troops for the fight out of Osgiliath.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yet very, very soon before the film came out (2 weeks I think) they had a picture of gothmog in the Sunday Times Magazine - and he looked AMAZING!!! It was only a head+shoulders shot, but he looked brilliant! On par with the WItch King! He basically had some hideous helm with bits of bone and horn sticking and writhing out of it, he looked more monster than human(oid)!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm, perhaps that was the Mouth of Sauron? I've heard he went through a lot of makeup, but I've never seen a pic, so I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark, really.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #31
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Ah yes, the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Orc. I did not like him. Every word he uttered in my book could be counted the worst lines in LotR. I hope he has a death scene in the EE.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #32
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the ROTK review in The New Yorker for the week of January 5, they explain the orcs at Pelennor Fields:<P>"...ugly thugs commanded by what appears to be a giant potato..."<P>I thought that was great...he disgusted me!
Old 01-04-2004, 12:14 AM   #33
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Yes he should die. I hated him. He was hideous, but that made him all the more hateworthy. If Aragorn kills him in EE, it will be interesting to see how he so quickly gets from the docks to the Pelennor and how he would find him. The Rohirrim charged and we saw a shot of his scared face and they Rohirrim really swept forward then turned and charged at the oliphants. Now what was their official name again. Mumakil or something. Ha, I got that from the video game. Anyway, i assumed the Rohirrim slew him and it was fine to me.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:49 AM   #34
nobody
Haunting Spirit

nobody has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Olorin_TLA</B>:I thought that there was only one breed of Uruk-hai. First, Melkor captured men and tortured them into orcs, then in the third age Sauron bred them with more men to make them black, bigger, stronger and able to stand sunlight. These Uruk-hai were known as the black Uruks of Mordor. Saruman just copied them-they were both the same breed.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

nobody: I think that Sauron only created Uruks (uruk hais, I don't know), & then Saruman 'prefected' them, or so he thought. Could be wrong, though...
Old 01-08-2004, 03:35 AM   #36
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

He really was messed up--he appearred to also have a uselessly deformed hand, did you notice? Joeseph Merrick had a useless arm like that, too. I dunno, it seems that anything goes for orc makeup, doesn't it? They're so screwed up.<P>I love the ones that have metal bands set into their faces. That's lovely. I also liked the orc with no nose--just a kind of blunt peg or something.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #37
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Did anyone else notice that he looked a lot like Yoda? And he had the deformed hand and shoulder. The most amusing orc was the one with the skull pinned to his head<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where have you pirates been? Your always late!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Then Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli jump off the ship and the Dead Army swarm those dumb orcs!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #38
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The most amusing orc was the one with the skull pinned to his head<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He reminded me of the pirate in PotC with the wooden eye (when in the moonlight), but I think I'm a little of-topic .
Old 01-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #39
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The most amusing orc was the one with the skull pinned to his head <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know i realy cant remember when he appeared. Can someone tell me when please (So I can look out for him next time).
Old 01-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #40
Bill the Pony
Pile O'Bones

Bill the Pony has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First time I saw ROTK, I really liked the inclusion of this character (personifies the orcs and all)...but the second time I was irritated beyond measure and wanted to throw my popcorn at him every time he appeared on screen. He came across as stereotypical-drill -sergeant-meets-Elephant-Man, an unholy union of stock characters. <P>This isn't exactly on topic, but does have to do with orcs... weren't their eyes a wee bit too large and brown? I actually felt sorry for them when the Rohirrim charged. ("oh, look, they have puppy-dog eyes! They're not so evil after all!")
Bill the Pony is offline   Reply With Quote