The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #41
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I think they used to, waaaay back in the day. The random generator still does a good job of non-filmic-based images.

Oh, and Obligatory Self Promotional Linking: I totally just did a thread on mental pictures and if/how the films have influenced them and how possibly to counter that.

...Wow, that sounds arrogant.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #42
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaelia of Willowbottom View Post
I think that the trick is to see that you're not exactly the same anymore...but the movie is going to be exactly the same. But that that's allright, and it shouldn't have to be anything different than it is in that moment. Instead of trying to see it through old eyes, watch it through the new ones. I think that the dissatisfaction happens when you try to reconcile what you know it SHOULD be with what it is.
I think I understand what you're saying. And I think that when you watch the movies, because they're always the same and they already are "made", whereas the books are in you're mind, they seem different.

I would say that because you're always changing, things appear different and you perceive things differently and focus on different things. With the book, because it allows you to form your own pictures, how you see Middle-Earth may shift, maybe so subtly that you can't realise it, but you see different things and read it slightly differently. The good thing about books is that because you as the reader are actively reading and imagining the story, it fits your imagination the way you want it to fit.

In the movies, however, it is not your imagination, but Peter Jackson's. It never changes. This means that even when your views shift slightly, you can't change the focus of the movie, as it is always identical. This is why I think that when you watch it, it can appear different.

That is my general outsider-view on the situation, because I saw the movies first, which means that my original ideas of the characters (except for Gollum- I had read the Hobbit before) were modelled on the movie characters.

So for me, the movies are a sort-of alternate Middle-Earth. If I just look at them separately, they are good, and I find that I can ignore most of the faults (though a few are just horrible, like the Gandalf vs. WK scene, which I would have hated even if I hadn't read the book first, and the Frodo - Flying Nazgul scene, to name a few).

They still do have some of the magic of the first time, but obviously, as I think Lalwendë meant, a little goes every time you watch it. But the music and the scenery does carry you (well at least me) into it. As alatar said, the setting, and your feelings towards it (For example, excitement when it first came out) are also quite important.

Also, remember: The movies were much better than any other LOTR movies ever made, and we often take that for granted.

Last edited by Eönwë; 09-15-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #43
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think they are films that have to be seen in the cinema. I quite enjoyed them there when the visuals and music washing over. Seeing them on a very small screen over the past few Saturdays they haven't really held my attention. Some good moments I went and cooked and did washing up rather than watch the battle scenes. The costumes are still good and some of the performances but the CGI hasn't aged well and the scaling is really bad at times.

I can't understand why the listing claims there are too many goodbyes though since all but the grey havens were eliminated.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #44
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Most recently I watched Fellowship with the Rifftracks going on in the background. I'm pretty sure that this has more or less ruined my ability to take certain portions of the film seriously (which watching it with a crowd of snarkers already had... it's just that these guys are getting paid to make fun of them!).

But it's reached an all-time low now. Even touching scenes such as Sam running down to the Anduin to reach Frodo's boat in time have been superimposed with cries of "Bacon! Bacon!" (Which, granted, is very hobbity... but rather ruins the touching display of loyalty.)

I wonder if there is a way to get a sort of filmic detox, or if I was doomed the moment I reread the books after the films came out?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Try taking it seriously after seeing this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCYbRUmzIb0

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote