The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Kizzy

Silmaril Elvish help!

Hello i'm new here, i hope you don't mind me asking, but does anyone know where i can get a dictionary that will translate English into Elvish?

You see i want to know what "MY Preciousss" says in Elvish.

I also would like to know the one ring rule in Elvish because i want it as a tattoo around my arm..

Thank you
Old 06-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Of course there is...

Here

Here

Here

Here

Google Search

PS. This is the wrong section to post this, and it will probably get moved and/or deleted by the mods (moderators).

PPS. Welcome to the 'Downs! Enjoy being dead! It's a blast!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Moving this to Novices and Newcomers.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Er . . . okay, I told the forum to move it to N&N and it ended up here. Maybe one of the Movies moderators can move it? Sorry.

Moderator's note: Glad to be of help! Done. *Estelyn
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
More Elvish...

Thanks, Aiwendil! My thoughts exactly.

Kizzy: If any of these dictionaries didn't work for you, you can also try searching for more right here on the 'Downs: Do you see the yellow link at the top of the page labeled "Search?" Click on it and type "Elvish Dictionaries" into the little box that pops up...and then reap your rewards!
Old 06-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Carnemirie

White Tree

Hey, I have to thank Sirithheruwen for noting those elvish links. They work great! I've been look'n for dictionaries like that. I'm new here too and I'm honestly lost and confused. They did great with this forum though, I can't wait to explore more!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Kizzy

Thank You

Thanks for your replys, but i've checked all of the Dictionaries but with no result. You see i want to have "MY Precious" Tattooed under my childrens names in Elvish. It's "My Precious" that i'm trying to get translated and i can't find it anywhere. I know "My" which is Nya..so all i need now is to find "precious"..
Old 06-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

After doing much research I came across The Quettaparma Quenyanna Wordlist. According to to this site Precious Thing is mírë... but that isn't plain precious. I do realize this is probably not of much help, but I felt I should inform you of what I found anyway. It might help?

I looked through numerous sites but for some odd reason none of them had precious. It is funny seeing precious is one of the most commonly used words used in Lord of the Rings.

God Bless,
Niluial

Last edited by Niluial; 06-27-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #9
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I must also thank Siritheruwen for the dictionary sites. I've favorited all of them!

But to help Kizzy with her search: Maybe you could try 'muin', which means 'dear.' I giggle at some elf petting the Ring, "Muin-nin."
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:09 AM   #10
Kizzy

Thank You

Thank You Niluial and Elianna

I suppose Nya Mire is as close as i will get. Thank You..
Old 06-28-2004, 11:07 PM   #11
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Whoa, -nya goes AFTER the word. Precious is mírë. My Precious is mírënya
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
Kizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araréiel
Whoa, -nya goes AFTER the word. Precious is mírë. My Precious is mírënya

Cool! are you absolutely sure that is the translation for My Precious? I want to make sure it is because if i have it tattooed near my kids names it's permanant you see..
Old 06-30-2004, 01:45 AM   #13
Araréiel

Silmaril

The Ardalambion is the MOST accurate for Elvish. I'm kicking myself for not remembering the webpage, but I saved every bit of Elvish thing they had on there and printed hundreds and hundreds of pages. I went through the etymologies and mírë translates to "precious one" which is the same as precious for this purpose. -nya means my. According to the teachings, certain things are put together as one word. -nya goes after the word to make it posessive of the one claiming posession.

Take Spanish. Neccessitar means Need. Neccessito means "I need," no need to say Yo neccessito because the -o at the end makes it possessive to the person speaking. (You need is neccesitas or nesseccitan, dpending on how well you know the person, Neccessita is She/he needs, and so one). It just depends on the end part. A lot of kids in my Spanish class couldn't grasp the concept.

Do you have access to any of the History of Middle Earth books? One of them has a good bit of the etymologies and Quenya. I'll look for which one tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight. Seeing this may help put your mind at ease as HoME was written off of Tolkien's actual notes rather that some sites which have very poor translations and some evn openly admit that it's just their own interpretation. Never use a site that says it's their own interpretation. You want Tolkien's interpretation, not theirs. Ardalambion (I though it was .com) even has essays written by Tolkienists debating the history of Quenya and the other languages, and HoME outright has a good deal of the etymologies right in it.

Sindarin wasn't as well developed as Quenya. So Quenya is most often used. It's the base for different Elvish languages, most of which are very similar, kind of like Spanish in Mexico and Spanish in Spain, or English in America and English in England. With a minimum of inconvenience, you can communicate with other speakers of the same language who come from a different country. But Sindarin just wasn't very developed. Enough Quenya is developed to hold conversations and such, kind of like Klingon (language of Star Trek, which I personally can't stand).

Before you get the tattoo, let me see if I can find the Ardalambion again or, if you can access the HoME edition I'll look up tomorrow, that will help you.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 AM   #14
Araréiel

Silmaril

Oh, how sad. The website isn't there anymore! Hopwever, thank God it can still be accessed at www.archive.org You can put i any web address and it will show you the history. Type in www.ardalambion.com and go to the last date listed to see the page. The links I'm checking still work. Download everything you can. Hopefully http://web.archive.org/web/200306100...dalambion.com/ will take you right there. I tried getting the dns info and it says information on the domain name isn't available right now. Maybe the domain just expired?

Download the Quenya courses. It's 20 courses, but very good.

I'll write more tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:25 AM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just click HERE to access the Ardalambion site - then bookmark it or put it on your Favorites list.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #16
Araréiel

Silmaril

Thank God. That makes it so much easier! When did the address change?