The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #121
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Ohh, maybe they'll make her a dominatrix, thereby attempting to appeal to third wave feminists.
That has already been planned. In the second movie, Bilbo gets a dominatrix love-interest, a buxom Stoorish beauty named Labia Spankbottom.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #122
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Ohh, maybe they'll make her a dominatrix, thereby attempting to appeal to third wave feminists.
A third wave feminist would surely be more likely to reject the whole thing as commercial nonsense and not indie enough?

I've got no particular ideology to make me think this way, but my primary concern is it's all too predictable and cheesy to throw in a constructed female character because they think women will be turned off by the film without this. A bit like how toy shops insist on making everything for girls in vile pink. It's patronising.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #123
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
A third wave feminist would surely be more likely to reject the whole thing as commercial nonsense and not indie enough?

I've got no particular ideology to make me think this way, but my primary concern is it's all too predictable and cheesy to throw in a constructed female character because they think women will be turned off by the film without this. A bit like how toy shops insist on making everything for girls in vile pink. It's patronising.
It is patronizing, which is why I can't take Jackson's films seriously. The very idea that he considered throwing in Xenarwen at Helm's Deep is laughable. And even what was kept in the LotR films shows his knack for novelty and not serious filmmaking; for instance, we have bold Arwen defying the Nazgul at the Fords of Bruinen, only to watch her character becoming more and more squishy as the films progressed. It's almost as if she had an evil twin who only made an appearance in FotR, and then Elrond made her to go her room. Bad Xenarwen! No supper for you!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #124
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Bad Xenarwen! No supper for you!
And no "Sweet 1600" party if you don't forget about that Aragorn boy!

My basic problem with such changes from book to movie remains: if you have to alter a book substantially to make it work in a different format, maybe you should just write your own story and screenplay and do with it what you like. Oh, right, No one would likely be that interested unless you can attach the name of a well-known book to it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #125
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post

If we are being forced to watch this film with Taurielektra in it, I hope that it is done with some decorum. I think this elven woman will be dressed very much like Arwen who stole Glorfindel's place, but it is not and never will be, the part of the film I am looking forward to. I suspect it will annoy more people than it will please. Given the fact that they are making two films out of this little book, surely this time they won't miss huge chunks out, and if the have space to introduce Miss Nobody of Nowhere and do miss out ANYTHING I will be very DISPLEASED.
If they put her in a leather bikini like Guinevere in King Arthur, I am going to scream.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #126
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I haven 't seen any casting for Galion so I am afraid it will be hobbit needs to be saved by Elf-warriorette again. Billy Connolly is playing Dain. Wonder how many more unlikely cameos can be shoehorned in?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #127
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Billy Connolly as King Dain Ironfoot.................I think this will work. No doubt we will see The Iron Hills and the dwarves getting ready/marching to war when they get the message...
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #128
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
On his current form the dwarves would heckle him and he would stomp off half way through...

Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #129
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
On his current form the dwarves would heckle him and he would stomp off half way through...
Speaking of Dwarves, why the heck do they need a burgler? They're armed to the teeth! In the book I thought they had kitchen knives or something? I don't think PJ can pull off that 'unlucky number' act with the dwarves he's made.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #130
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Not soft of foot though...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #131
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
Billy Connolly as King Dain Ironfoot.................I think this will work. No doubt we will see The Iron Hills and the dwarves getting ready/marching to war when they get the message...
Well, it seems a logical choice, as Billy has had previous experience with dwarves (warning: profanity and politically incorrect terminology):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tbsNUvQQmI
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #132
JolyV
Newly Deceased

JolyV is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Thanks for this video, Im a big fan of Lord of the ring, Im very excited waiting The Hobbit
JolyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #133
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyV View Post
Thanks for this video, Im a big fan of Lord of the ring...
*The Dark Elf raises an eyebrow*

So, you liked the video, did you? Yes, it was quite germane to the subject.

*Smells a faint hint of spaminess in the air*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyV View Post
Im very excited waiting The Hobbit
You are? Which pub in the Shire? And do they tip well?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #134
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://www.cpaglobal.com/newlegalrev...ts_brand_war_o

This one?