The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #41
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I will loudly and wildly second any and all nominations of Brian Blessed.

Sad that I just can't shake the Jeeves picture...I'm seeing a werebear in a tux bringing Bertie breakfast.
After the initial shock I managed to accept Hugh Laurie, who was Jeeves then a bit typecast in "nice upperclass twit" roles, as "House" ..not sure that it is anything like as big a step for Fry who has played darker roles. However he is sooooo intellectual for what is quite a "primal" role. Might make an interesting Master of Laketown if he could resist the temptation to overact (cf Gosford Park).

How about Gerard Depardieu? He is capable of both charm and menace.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #42
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose who plays him depends on which 'side' of Beorn you wish to play up the most. If you're talking just about a big guy, then there are a lot to pick from - how about Clive Mantle who made a great Little John in Robin of Sherwood? Or are we talking about Beorn's menacing side? Ray Winstone could do both big and menacing without dumbing it down, seeing as Sean Bean's aready been used, or maybe Alfred Molina? Robert Carlyle does menacing better than anyone though, and with modern film techniques it doesn't matter that he's small. Or do we want to go for the wild side? In that case I go for David Thewlis. And finally, what about the shifty, shamanic side of Beorn? Do we want him to be 'intense'? In that case I'd go for John Malkovich or Joaquin Phoenix, even Ralph Fiennes if he could put on ten stone in film tricks and costume (actually, he'd make an excellent Thranduil so scratch that one ).
Old 01-16-2007, 03:37 AM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Or do we want to go for the wild side? In that case I go for David Thewlis.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! He's already ruined one of my favourite characters (Professor Lupin in HP), so don't let him do Beorn. (I'm not saying he's a bad actor - he was very good in the New World, for example - but he just doesn't fit to certain roles.) He lacks the bear-like charisma Beorn has.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #44
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! He's already ruined one of my favourite characters (Professor Lupin in HP), so don't let him do Beorn. (I'm not saying he's a bad actor - he was very good in the New World, for example - but he just doesn't fit to certain roles.) He lacks the bear-like charisma Beorn has.
What?! I thought he was excellent as Lupin!

OK then, but I'll keep him, you can have someone else.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #45
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Might make an interesting Master of Laketown if he could resist the temptation to overact (cf Gosford Park).
I most definately have Jonathan Pryce marked down as the Master of Laketown on my list.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #46
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Don't remember the name...

... but I suppose you know the guy...

... the one who is Hagrid in Harry Potter

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #47
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Brian Blessed is am amazing stroke of genius casting which would be perfect. I realize that the man is about 70 years old - which, on the surface at least, may be pushing it a bit, but he is a veteran mountain climber who is in great shape. So his "real age" may be a lot younger.

Forget about Coltrane. He will forever be associated with the Potter films - and I did not even like him in that role. Giant???? Indeed!
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #48
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps Bill Nighy who played Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean could be a good Beorn. As for David Thewlis I think he would be better as Bard.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #49
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Leafing through the thread I would second the nomination of Alfred Molina -- I've seen him in several other roles besides Doc Ock, and he was a very intense presence onscreen.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #50
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
The Eagles dropping the Dwarves off at Mirkwood? I think that's just a bit absurd...audiences everywhere would be asking why the Eagles stopped giving them help as soon as they arrived at the most arduous and difficult stage of travelling. Why on earth wouldn't the Eagles just fly them over Mirkwood? I think for the sake of common sense Beorn should be included.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #51
TheLostRanger
Newly Deceased

TheLostRanger has just left Hobbiton.
A little off topic with this question, but could anyone tell me what happened to Beorn after the hobbit? Was he still alive during the LotR era? Fade in to obscurity? Or am I forgetting something like he died at the end of the Hobbit? It's been a long while since I've read the Hobbit but he was a favorite character of mine. As far as who I think should play him. I don't know... How about William Wallace's friend (The big guy) from Brave Heart?

The Lost Ranger
TheLostRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #52
Lord Gothmog
Animated Skeleton

Lord Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
I have not had time to check all my books but there is some hints about Beorn in FotR

Fellowship of the Ring: Many Meetings

Quote:
Frodo learned that Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, was now the lord of many sturdy men, and to their land between the Mountains and Mirkwood neither orc nor wolf dared to go.
'Indeed,' said Glóin, `if it were not for the Beornings, the passage from Dale to Rivendell would long ago have become impossible. They are valiant men and keep open the High Pass and the Ford of Carrock. But their tolls are high,' he added with a shake of his head; `and like Beorn of old they are not over fond of dwarves. Still, they are trusty, and that is much in these days.
So far it is not certain if he has died or simply left the area but he did have a son who ruled meny men.

I will see if I can find more info.

Greetings and Felicitations from the Lord of Balrogs!
Lord Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #53
Lord Gothmog
Animated Skeleton

Futher information from Tolkien's Letters

From Letter 144

Quote:
Beorn is dead; see vol. I p. 241. He appeared in The Hobbit. It was then the year Third Age 2940 (Shire-reckoning 1340). We are now in the years 3018-19 (1418-19). Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man.
Hope that helps

Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 AM   #54
TheLostRanger
Newly Deceased

Thank you sir, any more info you can dig up would be much appreciated.

Back to my comment about the guy from Braveheart, went to IMDB and it turns out that the same guy plays mad eye in harry potter (who knew) So I guess I will have to ponder the question of who should play Beorn a little longer.

The Lost Ranger
Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 AM   #55
TheLostRanger
Newly Deceased

Made that post before I seen your next reply. Many thanks Lord Gothmog. You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar.

The Lost Ranger
Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #56
Lord Gothmog
Animated Skeleton

You are welcome. I am always pleased to be of help.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #57
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Somebody mentioned Robbie Coltraine earlier. I can't think of a better fit for Beorn. His portrayal of Hagrid in the harry Potter film comes to mind. He'd be ideal for playing the grizzled, grim skin-changer.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #58
TheLostRanger
Newly Deceased

Very true zxcvbn. I am near certain he will be considered for the role... but a certain part of me would wonder when his character was introduced in the movie when exactly he was gonna take Bilbo to Hogwarts...

The Lost Ranger
Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #59
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
One of the big flaws in the Petter films for me is the so-called giant played by Robbie Coltraine. The guy looks nothing like a giant and in fact is built like someone rather on the short side. I don't really care how big he is or how many camera angles or tricks are supposed to make him tall - to me, he just appears very non-giant like. Maybe that qualifies him to be a dwarf?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #60
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
I think Jim Cater would be a good Beorn.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #61
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
I think William Dafoe sounds good, although his voice and demeanor seem to me to be too...thin. His voice is a thin, cruel sounding voice (IE, Green Goblin in Spider-Man, Gill in Finding Nemo), whereas I look to Beorn to be a lumbering, boisterous fellow.

Stephen Fry, I know he's versatile, but I simply can't see him in that role. I haven't seen him in anything but A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster, but still.

Auh-nuld and Chuck are both out.

I like the look of Bob Hoskins in the pictures.

One guy that jumps to my mind is Gordon Kennedy. He plays Little John in the latest BBC Robin Hood.

(The bearded fellow on the left)

He has that heavy-set thick face and the unkempt curly hair and an overall rugged look that I picture Beorn having.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #62
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

You know, two years ago (gotta love the threads that go ever on and on), someone mentioned Eric Bana.

While Bana is a huge star, and this is a small role, you never know, some actors regularly take pay-cuts so that they get to do stuff they love. If Bana likes Tolkien, he might be up for it. Also, sometimes it's really good to take a break from the big roles, it's good for your resume, and you can really grow as an actor without such enormous pressure that the people in the bigger roles have.