The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril What do you think of Aredhel and Tar-Miriel?

Aredhel and Tar-Miriel are my favourite characters. What do you think of them?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
joey1986

they are my favourite characters too.
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 04-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Aredhel and Tar-Miriel are my favourite characters
Hadn't noticed that!
To me, Aredhel is by far the more interesting character: an independent or at the very least independence-seeking woman who clearly had a head of her own (much like Éowyn, in a way; or in a different key, Erendis). Too bad her attempt to escape from confinement in Gondolin only led her to confinement in Nan Elmoth, and back to Gondolin and death. If you'd like to read more thoughts about her, look over there.
Compared to Aredhel, Tar-Miriel is a rather pale figure - we're not really told that much about her, apart from her forced marriage to Ar-Pharazon. The only thing that stuck in my mind is her belated attempt to reach the top of Meneltarma (to plead with Eru?) when the tsunami hit Númenor (there's a nice picture of this scene by Ted Nasmith, IIRC).
Forced marriage to men of dubious character is, of course, the common denominator linking these two (which makes it a little disturbing that they're your favourite characters...) - although in Aredhel's case, Tolkien suggested she may not have been altogether unwilling, and I vaguely remember him saying somewhere that Miri wasn't completely unattracted to Pharazon either, but can't for the life of me remember where it was (first thought was UT, but if it's in there, I can't find it). Which, if we accept it, raises the question why some women seem to be prone to falling for mean guys, in Middle-earth as in real life...