The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Tolkien's own art

Does anyone know of a website that contains the actual artwork of Tolkien himself? Characters, in specific.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Also

Does anybody have the picture of The Fellowship drawn by Pauline Baynes when Tolkien was still alive?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm... well I did find one website with lots of Tolkien art. Not all are Middle-earth related and most are landscapes, though there are a few drawings with characters in them.

Tolkien art

I believe it's an Italian website. That's the best I can do so far, but I'll keep looking.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated
Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Do you mean this one ? I hope so because that is my all time favourite cover. I see that cover and I'm off, whisked away to being a kid again and reading for the first time. Sigh.

Or how about this? This is by Pauline Baynes too and was on an early (the first?) Canadian paperback edition - and is also found on a map of Middle-earth that she drew, but I can't get you a decent link to that!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks Lalwendë! That last one might have been the one. That first cover is amazing, I agree. I don't really like the second one much, it reminds me of bad 1960's/70's animation...little comic book characters, or something. The color is overly bright. I hope Tolkien didn't think all his characters looked like that .

I think the second one might be it because I read somewhere that Tolkien approved of Pauline's drawings of The Fellowship, and that Legolas was hooded so his hair color was not shown. He looks hooded here. I had an image in my head that the picture would be facing frontwards, but perhaps this is the right one. What do you think?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
Thanks LalwendëI think the second one might be it because I read somewhere that Tolkien approved of Pauline's drawings of The Fellowship, and that Legolas was hooded so his hair color was not shown. He looks hooded here. I had an image in my head that the picture would be facing frontwards, but perhaps this is the right one. What do you think?
Alan Lee stated that both he & CT didn't like illustrations which showed the characters in too much detail - maybe Tolkien himself felt the same...
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Alan Lee stated that both he & CT didn't like illustrations which showed the characters in too much detail - maybe Tolkien himself felt the same...
That makes sense, I think Tolkien probably would feel the same. Thanks for that info.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hammond and Scull relate that in 1969 Pauline Baynes and her husband visited Tolkien and his wife, taking with them 'the finished painting for the poster A Map of Middle-earth' (along with gifts). As for commentary on it, all I could find was that JRRT thought her map for The Hobbit was better. If we assume the depiction of the Fellowship was included here perhaps it was finished as well.

On the poster, the Fellowship (the same picture as on the book cover linked in this thread) appears above the 'map proper' while the nasty folk are set below.

Anyway, more speculation of course. Hammond and Scull are reportedly working on a book about P. Baynes so perhaps there will be more to learn in general.

Last edited by Galin; 06-26-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks for that information, Galin. As usual, tons of speculation, little fact. As is much with Tolkien.

If you happen to have a better picture of the Fellowship than the one linked (if you find yours) it would be great to post it here!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

In the new book on The Hobbit, in note 14 to The Bladorthin Typescript Rateliff notes (concerning the art for a poster map by P. Baynes)...

Quote:
'... In addition to ten vignettes on the map itself, Baynes added a headpiece at top showing all nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring (plus Bill the pony) and a tailpiece at bottom showing the Black Riders, Gollum, Shelob, and a horde of orcs. Although Tolkien greatly admired Baynes' work on the whole, he disliked this particular piece so much that, in addition to writing this essay he had the top and bottom cropped off the original painting when he had it framed for presentation to his longtime secretary, Joy Hill (personal communication, May 1987).'
The essay referred to (circa 1970) is said to be in response to seeing Pauline Baynes' art for the poster map. In this chapter Rateliff published those comments concerning Gandalf, implying to my mind that there is more to the essay, which is at the Bodleian Library.

I may be wrong (I would need a look at a better reproduction to check it out), but so far it almost looks to me as if P. Baynes has (possibly) put the hair of the Hobbit's feet on the bottom (of the feet). Anyone?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For Christmas, either my brother or I received a book (isn't it shameful? I can't remember who got it!) about Tolkien as an illustrator. I love his artwork. If I'm the one who got the book, I'll find it and let you know the title of the book.

-- Folwren
Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I would guess J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator (Hammond and Scull)

If so, great book
Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I would guess J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator (Hammond and Scull)

If so, great book
That's the book. (I'm Folwrens sister, that's how I know.)

And I'm pretty sure it was my brother who got it.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had just bought that book when I met Lal and Davem at Oxonmoot in '86 (I was very restrained this year and didn't buy a scud). I dislike nearly all Tolkien inspired art (Howe and Lee are ok.. the rest vary from not my cup of tea to beyond hideous - I mean I detest Luthien but I don't think that even she deserved to be depicted as a silicone enhanced pole-dancer transposed to a glade in a vaguely psychedelic and deeply tacky version of Dejeuner sure l'herbe as Hildebrandt did)

I am sure, many people who knew and loved the books for a long time before they saw anyone else's view of it, I have very strong images in my mind about what people and places looked and they no doubt are influenced by the only pictures I had seen - Tolkien's own for the Hobbit and Pauline Baynes' for Bombadil. Of course Tolkien is an amateur but his pictures are charming and while there may be flaws in the execution (I am not qualified to judge) it is fascinating to glimpse the intention.

It was quite an expensive book but it was the picture of Lorien that clinched it for me..I have always wanted to see mallorns....or perhaps that should be mellyrn (edit)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-25-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That is a wonderful book - I greatly enjoy paging through it and seeing how good Tolkien was as an amateur artist! We've talked about this in the past - for those who are interested, check out this thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote