The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2002, 05:53 AM   #1
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Question An Alternative Ringbearer?

Just say Frdo had died at some unoppurtune moment while the Fellowship was still together? Who do you think the Fellowship would have picked to be the next Ringbearer? Who would you have picked to be the next Ringbearer? Who in the Fellowship could have managed such a burden? And how would it have affected the quest?
Okay, yes more of my strange musings, but I'd like some opinions on this one.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:16 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That's a hard one, Merry. Cause at the Counil of Elrond they were arguing about it UNTIL Frodo steps up and says he'll take it. Hmmm...

I think maybe they would give it to Aragorn or Legolas. Legolas because he is an Elf and cannot at some extent be controlled by the ring. Aragorn because he really is the only one left with enough strength and wits to not use the ring, but to throw it in the fires.

Of course, I'm not saying none of the rest cold do it, cause after them two I would think Sam. But they were at the top of my list. And I'm not even going to think about if Frodo had been killed!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] That's just horrible!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Aragorn...he's really the only one that i think would be strong enough to do it....I mean, if Legolas is an elf and is emune (sp?) to the ring, then why did Galadriel try to take it? (hey, sorry if I'm getting book and movie mixed up - i can't really remember that much of the first book)

--Elven Mistress--
Old 09-02-2002, 02:24 PM   #4
Rohirrim Lass
Pile O'Bones

Rohirrim Lass has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"One by one, it will destroy them all."

No one is immune to the ring, otherwise Gandalf would have taken it from the beginning. And he's a maia, so I'm assuming the higher powers would be the only place you're going to hit immunity. Except Tom Bombadil, but that's not an issue for this thread.

I wouldn't give the ring to anyone in the Fellowship except Sam. If they didn't give it to Sam, I would expect Aragorn to take it, because Gimli and Boromir are both rash, Pippin and Merry wouldn't assert themselves, Legolas is worthless one way or another (sorry, I just don't think much of him, although he would try to take the ring), and that leaves Aragorn and Sam. If Gandalf was still around, he had already rejected it.

Sam would take it upon himself and remain pure of heart because he would view his mission as a tribute to his master. Aragorn grasps what is at stake--he has known for years. But he could be corrupted. So I'm going with Sam as the safer bet and Aragorn as the more likely bet.
Rohirrim Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Blasphemy! No elf, including Legolas, is "worthless." [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So there.
Though I don't think he'd take the Ring, by choice or election. Sam would be chosen as Hobbits seem to be the most resistant to its affects. Second would be Aragorn. I think he would succeed, though perish in the task. He was too conscious of Isildur's failure to succumb that quickly. If they all fell then the task would probably fall to Legolas or the remaining Hobbits. Legolas... I don't know what affect the Ring would have on an Elf but I think it would be similar to Galadriel's temptation, though not as extreme. Merry and Pippin... ha! No hope.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #6
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't agree that Aragorn could be a good choice as a next Ringbearer. By no means I want to underestimate his qualities and right. But there were other things at the time no-one but he could accomplish.
And besides I think Aragorn was too great a figure to be overlooked by Sauron (as it happened in case of Frodo)

I think the best candidate would be Sam, determined to carry on his master's burdain, too humble to claim the Ring for his own and anonymous enough not to be noticed.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 05:08 PM   #7
Rohirrim Lass
Pile O'Bones

Rohirrim Lass has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

NyteSky: Well, we must agree to disagree. I see the hobbits as having hope; they're more loyal to Frodo than anyone else, and that is the quality I view as having saved Samwise.

As to Legolas...again, we must agree to disagree. Elves are boring, IMHO. They are the eye-candy of Middle Earth and a couple of them can cook, do magic, or heal. Whee.
Rohirrim Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 08:07 PM   #8
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, let us go through the options.
Aragorn: I do not think so. He is a man. "Men? Men are weak." ~Elrond
I think He would be among the first to go.

Boromir: Well, we know what happened to him!

Gandalf: he already said no, and I think he too would be among the first to go.

Gimli: I do not know about him. When the Dwarves recieved thier rings, they did not do much, so I place him in the middle.

Legolas: I think he might work, though there would not be much of a friendship between him and Gimli if he did take it.

Samwise: I think he would be the best choice, considering he only used it when he had to.

Merry & Pippin: If they did not get captered by the Uruk-hai, they would work!
~M
Old 09-02-2002, 09:12 PM   #9
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Agreeing to disagree works, Lass. Though I'm still shocked at your opinion of the Elves. Ah well.
Why do any of you think Merry and Pippin could succeed? (list your reasons if you like) Because I truly can't picture them succeeding. Admittedly they did mature towards the end, but they still didn't seem to me at least, to have the dedication, the drive. That's the only reason I think Aragorn could possibly succeed. Despite his humanity he is opposed to the Ring completely. And since he didn't have power of the sort of Gandalf or Galadriel I don't think the Eye would have necessarily found him. Gimli... I think dwarvish greed and short temper might overpower him, but dwarves are enduring so perhaps not. Personally I wonder most what would have happened if they merely threw it far into the ocean.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:30 PM   #10
Lumbule

Sting

My first choice would be Sam. He bore the ring some time in Mordor, and it didn`t affect him much; he is humble and absolutely loyal to Frodo and he has a very strong will.
Second I would say Aragorn. He has the strenght to withstand Sauron himself when he is looking in the palantir, so I think he could withstand the ring, too. But I am not sure, if his will would be strong enough to really get rid of the ring when he would stand at Mount Doom. Frodo would have failed this, if Gollum hadn`t bitten his finger, and Aragorn - ?
As for Merry and Pippin - would say no, they wouldn`t make good ringbearers. Pippin couln`t even resist looking in the palantir, so I think he wouldn`t have a chance with the ring.
And Merry - hm, I don`t think he is much more strongwilled than Pippin.
Legolas - I don`t know, if he would be a good choice as a ringbearer, but I think an elf wandering through Mordor would cause far too much attention.
Gimli - as said, he would be tempted by his temper and the dwarfish greed.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Lumbule ]
Old 09-03-2002, 12:07 AM   #11
Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Legolas is worthless one way or another
Quote:
Elves are boring, IMHO. They are the eye-candy of Middle Earth...
*Resists the urge to start hissing like an Asp and reach for her bow*
I also agree to dissagree. However true your remark of Elves being the "Eye candy" of Middle Eath may be, I also belive it is true that your acuations of them being "Worthless" Is rather incorrect.
If it was not for Elrond, Frodo would not even be here. Now, do you call saving Frodo's life useless? Or the fact that Sire Legolas Greenleaf protected Frodo wile in his presence? I again return to My question of THAT being worthless, My dear Rohirrim Lass ?
And I highly doubt I have ever layed eyes on a 'Borring Elf'.

In My humble opinion, Aragorn would have been a good ringbearer considering he actually DIDN'T take the rings from Frodo's hand when he offered it to him. And the fact that He wants so much to prove other than his former did would be another good mark for him.

Legolas is My seccond (And only other) I consider would be a good ringbearer. I mean, after all, he didn't exactally go bonkers whenever Frodo droped it, now did he? He stood near to Frodo sevreal times as well, he could have easly snatched the ring and ran like the devil for it to safty from the others if his heart was tainted.

Thats My 2C's wroth....

An Elf And Proud Of It,
Old 09-03-2002, 12:17 AM   #12
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Male elve look like girls!! lol! Ok, seriously now, I would have to say Legolas and Gimli together. They become the dearest friends and would die for each other, making the perfect. Also, they are both very strong willed.

Another way of looking at it; Give it to Merry and Pippin. They're too foolish and reckless and so forth, that no one would think of searching them (except the Uruk-Hai, because they're <font size="5">STUPID.<font size="2">)

I don't think Sam would have been the right choice, because his motivation was Frodo. Without Frodo, he would have broken down emotionaly.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 AM   #13
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Male elve look like girls!!
*Shivers violently from Deja-vu* You just sounded like my grandad....
Old 09-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #14
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that Aragorn would be the most likely successor to Frodo, if anything had happened to him. Didn't the book say some where that actually, the One Ring truly belonged to Aragorn, or that he should have been the one carrying it? I may be mixed up- I read the books a while ago, now, so I've forgotten some of the details.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:16 PM   #15
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Ring

I think they would choose Sam because he was closest to Frodo and, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a prophecy saying that the Haflings would be the ones to fulfill the destruction of the ring? I might have misunderstood something.
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 PM   #16
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Wow, I like these opinions. Okay, so we've got Sam, Aragorn and Legoals as hot favourites.

I may be a wee bit prejudice aggainst elves, but I'll will try to give an unbiased opinion. I thinks....I thinks that even though Legoals might have been a suitable ringbearer (and I'm not overly fond og Mister Greenleaf), one thing would deterr from choosing him. The ring was originally an elven problem. But when Sauron once more appears in Mordor and the threat of the Ring once more comes to light, what do the elves do? Flee back to West! They are not prepared to accept the problems of mortals as their own if there is another option. Maybe Legoals was different, I don't know. He orginally joined the Fellowship because he was going towards Mirkwood in any case and he owed the Council something because his people had let Gollum escape. He obviously became loyal to the Ringbearer and the cause as the quest progressed, but the Elven nature is weak when it comes to burdens.

As for Aragorn, Akhtene is right. Sauron would not have overlooked Isildurs Heir for long enough, despite his obvious strengths as a Ringbearer.

Pippin and Merry? As much as I would love to say they could have been ringbearers, we would have succumbed to tempation before long. They were brave and loyal and determined, but they just did not have that kind of grace. Thats one of the reasons they are such loveable characters. They are easier for people to relate to.

I would have to say Sam, for all the mentioned reasons. Although I'm sure the Fellowship would have picked Aragorn.

But one more question? Would any of the others resolved to go to Mordor, as Frodo did? More likely, they would have gone to Minas Tirith first, leading inevtitably to disaster. Even Sam would have been convinced to come to Minas Tirith by his 'betters' if he did not know his master had wanted otherwise. Would any of the others made the sacrafice Frodo was willing to make? Would they have the strength, and gone into Mordor alone? Somehow, I can't picture it. How 'bout you guys.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:19 PM   #17
Wight

Eye

Good points, Sam. Verry good ones....Even about the Evles...

LMAO, nice sigg Sam!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:39 PM   #18
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

Sting

As an elf I feel obligated to offer a little defense at least. Leaving ME was not a cowardly act. They were finally granted permission to return across the sea by the Valar. So they left. They fought and conquered the Ring once, due to human mistake it wasn't a final victory. After that they lost faith in that race and became more reclusive. Despite all that it was still the elves that Gandalf turned to and the elves that protected and guided the party after Gandalf's fall. So no more elf-bashing! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Sorry, touchy subject for me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Your other points were all good ones, even some of the elvish ones. What do you think would have happened if they tried to protect the Ring at Rivendell?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:11 PM   #19
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They would give it to one of the hobbits most likely. They had showed great resistance to its evil. Certainly the stronger people (Gandalf and Aragorn) would not be given it. The ring in their posesion would be too powerful.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #20
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It depends on when he died. If it was before Gimli and Legolas started getting along, then neither of them would have agreed to the other one carring it. I don't think that Aragorn would have wanted to take it but in the end I think either him or Legolas, or maybe Sam. But then again, weren't the dwarves somewhat resistent as well? Like, they did not become ring wraiths like the men did. So maybe Gimli? I am farly sure that they would not have given it to Boromir. I don't think that anyof them would take it on willingly, except Boromir though, so it is hard to say.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:47 PM   #21
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Sting

If they had tried to protect the Rivendell? Not sure, probably a big battle, which would eventually be lost. Then again, maybe Frodo and/or others could have slipped out of Rivendell during the fighting. Maybe the battle could have been won (Tom Bombadil?).

I respect your opinions 'bout elves, Nyteskye. You probably know more about them me. I'm a hobbit person, no mistake.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:38 PM   #22
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ELF-BASHING?!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] what mad evil of mordor is afoot here, that we free peoples of middle-earth should bludgeon one another so? as a hobbit i feel obliged to say something in defense of elves, because well, no matter who plays them in movies...elves are cool. don't die(unless murdered), can make some really nice goodies including swords, and all that. NOBODY WANTS GIMLI??!! foolish! dwarves, when wielding Rings of Power, only became super greedy for gold, thats why sauron flew off the handle and declared war on them to get the rings back after he gave them to the dwarves. he was expecting another Nazgulfest of the Third Age in moria w/in a few days! gimli rocks! dwarves rock! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] sam is a good choice, and he was just so impleccably honest that the ring had enormous trouble even tempting him. so hobbits rock to! aw heck, all the free peoples rock! humans, however, are not the shiniest swords in the garrison, though, they corrupt faster than the armor they wear...
Old 09-07-2002, 11:30 AM   #23
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

Gandalf wouldn't have taken it,even though he is wise he could still be overpowered by it and he is to powerfull to risk that. I would say Sam...
Old 09-07-2002, 12:49 PM   #24
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

If Frodo died, there would be a lot of confusion among the Fellowship. But I have come to my conclusion of what would happen.

Aragorn- He would refuse the ring. He does not want to end up like Isildur. He would only take the ring if there was no other choice.

Gandalf- Well, we all know what Gandalf would do. He would also refuse the ring, of course.

Boromir- The fellowship knows that Boromir wants to use the ring. They would would not trust him with it.

Legolas & Gimli- If this was earlier in the journey, the two would not trust each other with the ring. They would probably end up getting into a huge arguement that would annoy the entire fellowship.

Merry- I can't imagine Merry taking the ring. Not only would the fellowship probably not even consider him, but I don't think Merry would be very willing to take the ring into Mordor and destroy it.

Pippin- Gandalf would never let Pippin be the ring bearer. Pippin is clumsy and not aware of the dangers around him. He would probably end up getting himself killed in Mordor.

Well, that leaves Sam. Sam is Frodo's faithful companion and would be willing to take his place. Remember that Sam did plan to destroy the ring himself after he thought Frodo dead in Cirth Ungol. Though the fellowship would be hesitant to give the ring to him, they would realize that he is the best choice and Gandalf would see to it. I think Sam could destroy the ring himself, though he would probably need a companion to help him as Frodo did. If Frodo died, everything could change.

Minas Tirith could fall and Merry and Pippin wouldn't have met the ents.

Now aren't you glad that Frodo didn't die?
Old 09-07-2002, 08:40 PM   #25
Wight

Eye

Quote:
Male elve look like girls!!...
Legolas: GIMLI, I'M HURT! AND ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT WE HAD A FRIEDSHIP!!!
AT LEAST MALE ELVES DON'T LOOK LIKE OVER-GROWN, POORLY MANAGED CHIA-PET!!!!
Thats it, I'm telling Elrond! (Considering Rivendell's closser than Mirkwood from here)
*Stomps off*

Speaking of Lord Elrond, issen't he an Elf? Dose HE look like a girl????
Last time I looked, he didn't...Did he?

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas ]
Old 09-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #26
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

no. elrond is forever-more agent smith.

that being said, i think that aragorn would be tempted to much if he took it, cause the power offered by the ring was preportional to the power of the wielder. also sauron might have known he was still alive and have been looking for him

sam would be a decent choice as long as someone was there to keep him going

merry to, he was more serious than pippin.

after lorien, a gimli-legolas tag team might have done the trick.
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 02:34 PM   #27
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Delmoth has a point! Poor Gimli. I think he'd be my second choice after Sam, but Legolas would object if they had yet to make friends.

This a an Elf-Bashing free zone, please. There shall be no unnecessary scorning of different races, purlease.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ..... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

A Legolas-Gimli tag team? lol, not a bad idea, Orome, but two people can't bear the One Ring. Remember how Frodo reacted when Sam came to rescue him and showed him that he he saved the Ring? (I cried)
Old 09-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #28
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would also have to say Sam. I don't think Aragorn would take it, because he knows what happened to Isildur, and he doesn't want to fall to the same fate. No offense to anyone, I can't see Legolas ever bearing the Ring. Yes, he is an elf, but I'm sure that even elves have their problems, and I doubt that Legolas has a will strong enough to resist the Ring. Just because he's the son of Thranduil doesn't mean he's special. He's just another elf. The Fellowship woudn't let Boromir hae it because he expressed his desire for the Ring in the Council of Elrond, and at least Aragorn and Gandalf would be wary about Boromir. Gandalf wouldn't take the Ring, because he has already refused it, Gimli might have the will to refuse the Ring's power, but he's just another dwarf, and I doubt that certain people would let him have it. Merry and Pippin, I don't know about. They are hobbits, and hobbits are the people that are best for this task. Personally, I think that they would head for home, because the only reason they are in the Fellowship is because they were following Frodo. I think that Sam is the only other choice for Ringbearer, because thought he does posess it in Mordor, he is able to resist it (mostly) and return it to Frodo. So my first choice is Sam, and Gimli is my second choice.

NOTE: I was going to post this yesterday or the day before, but my dad kicked me off the computer, and I was unable to finish my post. Now, I can see that I can completely agree with Brinniel.