The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Question Who ruled Bree?

The Shire was ruled by the Mayor of Michel Delving, elected every seven years. What about Bree?
Old 02-23-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
Mat_Heathertoes
Wight

Mat_Heathertoes has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. They take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week....
Old 02-24-2002, 04:28 AM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha ha ha!
Seriously, though, Bree probably wasn't ruled by anyone. The Shire wasn't actually ruled by the Mayor of Michel Delving - he did little more than preside at banquets. Everyone pretty much looked after their own affairs. I expect it was the same in Bree.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

I'd have to agree with Veronwe there. Bree was probably just one of those towns that took care of itself. But I bet the richer and more respected you were, the more power you have. Of course, that's true in most situations, isn't it...? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Bree was a type of Utopian village for men and hobbits. I guess they didn't need a leader, as we'd think of one. I'd love to write more about this, but I have to go herd my chickens back into the barn before they got lost.... silly birds... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

They have a pub and a load of tobacco plantations. Who needs a leader?

Any thoughts as to Barliman Butterbur's standing? I know that he's a respected and well-to-do citizen, but could he be the closest they have to a mayor? Even if not, the idea of an innkeeper being the leader of a utopian community makes a lot of sense to me.

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]
Old 02-26-2002, 05:35 PM   #7
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question

Quote:
The Shire wasn't actually ruled by the Mayor of Michel Delving
Okay, confused....if he presided over banquets and stuff in the Shire, what was the significance of "Michel Delving"? Was that part of the title in memory of a place or person, or what?
Quote:
Sam had a natural mistrust of the inhabitants of other parts of the Shire; and also he was not disposed to be quick friends with anyone who had beaten his master, however long ago.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:11 PM   #8
Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli
Pile O'Bones

Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Dont know if im right, ive got no evidence, just ideas:
The Mayor of the Shire (or more specifically of Michel Delving) presided over important events as well as smoothing out any problems between inhabitants (i imagine). The Master of Buckland would have the same role but just for Buckland (it being almost independant). The Thain was chosen to represent the King (after the end of the North kingdom) so he must have had some governing power. Consider the Sherifs and the posthobbits, someones gotta organise (and originally ordain) them. In the appendixes it says King Elessar made the Thain, the Master and the Mayor councellors of the North Kingdom. This means they (fundamentally) represented the Shire people in the King's Court. When the Tower Hills were given to the Hobbits, the Fairbaines became the Wardens of the Westmarch. The Mayor would have taken care of the westfarthing (thats were Michel Delving is), the Master of Buchland had the eastfarthing (obviously), and the Thain of Tukborough (in the southfarthing) would have shared the north and south with the other two.

To conclude:
I imagine Bree would have a system similar to the shire hobbits, were a number of individuals dont rule but act almost as judges and help each other out.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:48 AM   #9
Orn the Witless

Sting

Since Bree had a ditch, hedge, gates, gatehouses, and gatekeepers, all of which would have required communal labor and/or money to maintain, there must have been some organized leadership, if only of the "village elders" sort.

In the prologue to FOTR the obligations of the Shire Hobbits to the old kings basically consisted of "speeding the King's messengers", which might be taken to mean keeping roads and bridges in repair. Probably some sort of communal labor was called for here as well, as with the Shire Postal system, and the "Bounders".
Old 02-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #10
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Michel Delving, I believe, simply means 'Great Delving'.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
Elenwen

Eye

I too believe that they must have had som sort of leader or somthing. You know, someone who organised things... As I understands barliman at the prancing pony was somkind of leader... but I don't know...
Old 02-27-2002, 03:09 PM   #12
ElanorG

Silmaril

These sorts of sociological topics are always interesting. I agree with Syslox, plus I imagine that (both in the Shire and Bree) larger, wealthier families and landowners were influential and more or less mediated disagreements and managed affairs on their estates and in their families. Sounds a little medieval, I suppose!

I wonder, too, if it was something like medieval Iceland, which had no government but a big yearly Althing were big families got together to resolve differences and quarrels, etc. Didn't The Professor study Icelandic, among many other languages?

EG
Old 02-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #13
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, they didn't base their system of government on strange women lying in ponds distributing swords! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
*ok...that's it, I'm going to go change my sig back to what I originally had!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:22 PM   #14
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Per Voronwe:
Quote:
Michel Delving, I believe, simply means 'Great Delving'.
Ah, thank you much for the inf'rmation.
Quote:
"Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote