Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #41
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

It is great to see Swan Wood off to such a flying start! I hope all of you have fun writing the game.

Taralphiel in particular needs to be complimented for the way she is directing the gamers to form small alliances and to relate their characters closely to the plotline of the game. Well done!

However, a couple of observations are in order about the nature of the characterizations, particularly for games in Rohan.

Two points are particularly important for Rohan. One, posts must reflect greater thought and development than exists for games in The Shire because the games here are more complex. Characters need to observe their surroundings, other characters, their own motivation, to help readers enjoy the game. Here it should be pointed out that Aylwen and Ransom are setting the standard for this game. Well done, Aylwen and Ransom!

The second point is that all games in Rohan--indeed, in all the RPG forums at the BarrowDowns--must be true to the spirit of Tolkien's writing and not just to any form of fantasy. This is specifically a Tolkien site. Illegitimacy does not exist in Middle Earth, particularly amongst the elves. Also, Tolkien has no elven shield maidens and even Eowyn is an exception. Galadriel's skills lie in diplomacy, management, consensus-building, not in fighting. Taralphiel and Aylwen have done a good job integrating their female characters into the spirit of Tolkien. However, please keep in mind that super-powered, green-eyed Mary Sue heroines detract from good games.

A comment, too, on half-elven characters, who are very rare in Tolkien but who tend to proliferate in RPGs. Tolkien uses half-elven as plot devices; their presence is very much linked to particular situations in the story. No such situations are called for in Swan Wood and so none of the elves should be half-elven. Indeed, it is important for the elf characters to explain why they have not journied West, as it is important for all characters to justify their presence on this particular quest. This is somethhing which many of you have already done. Good show!

Just a few reminders for everyone who might be reading this thread. I'm looking forward to reading this game. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry,
Moderator for Rohan

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 03-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #42
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Alright, I read what Bethberry said and completely changed my character. Like I said, this is my first Rohan RPG. I hope you like her.

Name: Annanoldowen (which means Gift of Knowledge … right?)

Race: Elf from Rivendell

Age: about 4 and a half thousand years (is that realistic?)

Physical description (height, eye colour, hair colour, clothing etc): Stands very tall, about 6’, and is very slender. She has soft gray eyes, and long blonde hair. Annanoldowen is used to wearing the dresses of royalty of Rivendell. For traveling purposes she wears a dark gray riding dress and carries an elvish sword.

Background (childhood, motivation for coming on quest): Was educated well about the histories of Middle Earth, and is very wise among the elven race. She travels across Middle Earth at the will of her father to learn more about its peoples and relations. She has the standard skills of healing and tracking, just enough to survive. She was also taught in hand to hand combat incase she needed to defend herself when there was no access to any weapons. When her father left for the undying lands, and Annanoldowen was given the choice, she decided to stay in Middle Earth instead of going with him, because she felt that the people in Middle Earth could benefit from her knowledge. Her family was disappointed, but she was resolved. The elf stayed in Rivendell, which was all but deserted, studying the ways of her people in ancient times. Annanoldowen was beckoned by King Elessar to help educate scholars in the ways of the elves. She became a good companion of the king and his wife, Arwen Undomiel, an old friend. She carries a sword with the words: Annanoldowen, daughter of Rivendell inscribed on the blade in elvish and silver vines entwine the hilt. She doesn’t use a bow, because it is too awkward to carry on her journeys, and she is not so good at it, anyways. She was visiting an old friend, Gyrid, in Calembel, whom she had known while in Elessar’s service. Gyrid was asked to attend the Council held by Laurel, and she suggested that Annanoldowen attend as well, for her knowledge could be of great importance.

Any special features: Wears a silver feather pendant on a leather string around her neck.

Also, are there any books besides The Lord of the Rings I should read to help enhance my own knowledge during this RPG. I sort of set myself up, giving Annanoldowen so much wisdom. I’m going to finish the Silmarilion this week for sure. Should I read anything else? Are there any historical events that should coincide with this RPG that I should know about? I hope I’m not too juvenile for this. I promise I’ll do my best.

Thank you,
Maikafanawen
Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #43
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Maikafanawen, please do not think my comments were directed to you personally; they were not. But I really do like the revised character description you have written. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

They reflected general or cummulative observations, particularly in light of some of the conversations I have been having with Piosennial and Child about The Shire and Rohan.

Respectfully,
Bethberry
Old 03-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #44
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's my first post. If it needs any work, please let me know. When it's all good, I'll post it on the thread.

Oh! And if any more characters (Elves or anything) are needed here, I'll be glad to fill a spot. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As Ohtaredan listened to Herebrand's pledge to the small crowd to help them in their need, he felt the emotions of the warrior stir within him; desire to do good, to help those in danger. But he could feel them sink as the people cheered, being dragged down with the feelings of wistful absence. His hand brushed the hilt of his sword. It was a nice hilt on an even finer sword. When his father had to told him finally that he was going to join the Riders of Rohan, he'd gone outside by himself, behind the house, to the anvil that sat waiting and inviting, always, and began to make the sword. It had taken him the entire week, working from the evening well into the night, but it was ready when he joined up. Gostannendoll (roughly "feared dark" in Sindarin), he had named the blade, and while it had proved useful on many occasions with the guard, it also proved to be a somewhat upsetting reminder of what his family had made him give up, no matter how dearly he loved and respected Herebrand and the others, or cherished the feelings of valor he found himself rewarded with much of the time.

Ohtaredan looked up sharply, realizing that Herebrand was speaking to him and Ilisit. He smiled obligingly at Herebrand as the leader turned back to the group, introducing them.

“Also may I introduce you to Ohtaredan, my second-in-command, and Ilisit Scron, a new addition to my patrol, but nevertheless an expert tracker and warrior.”

Ohtaredan stepped forward, eyeing those before him with the strength he knew he possessed, and would demonstrate amply, before this was done.

"I wish only to be of aid," he said softly.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Ruling Ring ]
Old 03-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #45
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hallo, I'd still like to join as an Elf if possible (I'm suprised you need some, usually they're overwhelming).

Name: Lanaey (if not elven enough, tell me)
Race: Originally from Rivendell, but left after the first war with Sauron

Description: Short for an elf, she comes to about 5'10''. Her hair is a light brown and constantly bound up in convenient manners for fighting with two ornate, slender hair sticks that have a hidden dual nature. When unbound her hair falls to her waist, almost. Her eyes are also of a light brown and usually have a guarded look about them. She wears Elven traditional hunting garb of muted browns, greens, and grays. Her cloak is usually a light brown, though occasionally she'll turn it around for the gray/green side. Living for so long she has long ago mastered most fighting skills; however, her favorite is the bow and her two long knives. On her person, she always keeps several throwing knives that are braced around her chest, with one in her boot. She only speaks when she feels it is something important, so normally doesn't indulge in idle chatter. She does give her horse, Drass (a warhorse of dark brown color and a gift from Rohan) many chats when they are alone. She is also exceptionally observant, but doesn't always share what she see's.

Background: As long as she can remember her Father taught her how to fight. Her mother had died in a raid while they were travelling to their new home in Rivendell and her Father felt that it was better that she knew how to defend herself, even if it was unorthodox. She had always loved the art and found nothing wrong in giving up the lady ways for the ways of battle. She fought in the first war with Sauron under Elrond. In the battle her husband of many centuries died. Griefstricken, she found no solace in her home and left, continually traveling middle earth. Her son, not wanting to leave Rivendell, stayed behind. She would come and visit him every 20-50 years, but would never stay for more than a few months. In the war of the Ring, she immediately started fighting and was in as many battles as she could find. Her son, who went to Helm's Deep, died in battle. Knowing only sorrow, she refused to go with the rest of her people. Currently she wanders middle earth, just fighting and living. She doesn't just fight for any reason, however, she will look at what is happening and decide from her own set of morals. Families and villages being attacked almost always get her. While passing through Mirkwood, she heard about the raiders and immediately went to Calembal.

Special features: She wears an intricate, thin leather band about her forehead and a small, mithril ear cuff that she never removes. She has several scares over her in various places, but one very noticable scar is one that runs along her neck and slants down to her collar bone, about half a hand in length. Though it is mostly hidden by her clothes and cloak.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Kryssal ]
Old 03-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #46
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

First Post:

Annanoldowen sat at the large cedar desk in the library of Rivendell. Skimming over the recent policies of the Order of the Black Rose. A glass of red wine sat beside her work along with a plate of bread and cheese, her usual evening meal. She refolded the parchment and set it on a stack of other papers. Rubbing her eyes she leaned back in the ornately decorated chair. A messenger came before her then and bowed low in respect for the elf before him. Standing again he announced,

“My Lady Annanoldowen, there is a messenger from Calembel to see you.” The she-elf nodded,

“Show him in.” The messenger left, and then returned with a young boy no older than twenty years of age. He stomped once and bowed before her.

“I bring word from Kemenheruwen. There is a council forming in Calembel at the request of Lady Laurel, granddaughter to Lady Talaphiel of Alphirion.” Annanoldowen nodded. Her friend, Kemenheruwen, one of the last earth masters in Middle Earth still dwelt in the deserted town of Calembel. In the cellar of her apothecary among old jars and plants, she studied the elements and ways of the earth. She was an elf of Mirkwood, and once her knowledge was complete in the ways of medicines and such, she would return and offer herself in service to Thranduil, but until then, she educated herself. Annanoldowen had met her in Mirkwood, many years ago, when she traveled hence to learn more about their society in the ancient, now corrupted forest of Greenwood.

The other name that was familiar to her was the Lady Talaphiel of Alphirion. She had heard of the influence of this great woman in many a city of men. Annanoldowen respected her accomplishments, and was interested in Kemenheruwen’s request. The earth master would have little to do with such meticulous events, so Annanoldowen decided she would investigate. Dismissing the messengers, she retired to her chambers.

She discarded her elegant dress for one of a grey hue, useful for travel. Folding other clothes into a saddlebag, she tied it shut and placed it on the floor by her bed. The elf then retrieved her sword and tied it around her waist. It’s intricate scabbard a matching addition to her entourage. Slipping out of the room, carrying her saddlebag, she moved quickly, but silently down the hall to the stables where she kept her horse, Taurawaa, one of Mearas. She slipped a saddle over the horse’s silver grey coat and secured her saddlebag in the back. Mounting in a flurry of grey and silver robes, she exited the stables and galloped out of Rivendell, south towards Calembel.

The wind was fierce as it fought to throw Annanoldowen from her mount. Bending low over the neck of her steed, she shot through the air like an arrow. Her journey to Calembel would take her the better part of a week atop any other horse, but Taurawaa got her there in two days. She entered through the back of the city and found the apothecary where her friend lived. Leading the horse right into the building, she descended the stairs to her friend’s quarters.

“Annanoldowen? Is that you?” A grey haired elf stood as she saw her old friend enter the room. The two friends embraced. “It’s been so long.” Kemenheruwen motioned towards a chair and supplied her friend with some wine and bread. Annanoldowen accepted gratefully. The two elves talked at length of their lives since their last meeting only fifty years ago. When they were caught up, Kemenheruwen changed to more serious matters. She informed Annanoldowen of the raids, and the desertion of Calembel. The Rivendell elf listened intently, taking in everything.

“Now Laurel is here, and a group of elves and men have gathered at the old fountain in the center of town.” Kemenheruwen fiddled idly with a jar of some mystic herb on the table.

“Have you approached them?” asked Annanoldowen, taking a delicate sip of her drink. The earth master shook her head,

“No. I am not good with people, you know. The people started arriving a week ago, and from the conversations I overheard hiding in the shadows, this is all I’ve learned. I sent Fithan to summon you. I knew that your knowledge may help rid Alphirion of the raiders.” Annanoldowen ate silently for a while in thought.

“So the raiders are unknown.” Kemenheruwen nodded. When the newcomer finished eating, Kemenheruwen stood and donned her cloak. Annanoldowen did likewise and followed the earth master out the apothecary towards the gathering of elves and men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOC: It is really late right now, but I promise I’ll finish this tomorrow. Do you like it so far? Is everything realistically Tolkien enough?
Old 03-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #47
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Silmaril

Just a quick message. Im going over your post Maika, i thik it should be fine. Kryssal, I like what youre doing, youre in, just keep reading.

To all, read what Bethberry is suggesting. Shes the best moderator I know and I agree with her comments. Keep up the good work and dont forget to copy and post youre forst posts in.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:18 AM   #48
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

"4 and a half thousand years (is that realistic?)"

Arwen was 2778 years old when she married.

4500 years old would put you in the year 1960 of the Second Age. There were certainly other elves just as old. (Elrond, Galadriel, etc.)
Old 03-12-2003, 02:50 PM   #49
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Glad you like it.

Ransom: Thanks for the confirmation. That's just where I wanted to be. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 03-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #50
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

Well, it looks like we have elves now. I guess I'll save my other character for another RPG! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 04:24 AM   #51
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Allrighty! We are about off! I have one more character (asking someone to play an elf) but you can start posting anyway.

One query for you all: this may be a tad premature, but I am pondering on whether there should be a leader of the Wild Men, a rogue and corrupted Elf perhaps, a remnant of teh evil of Sauron. This is your RPG too, so Id like to run it by you

Im so sorry I havent been getting back to PM's promptly, I am busy. I shall do that first thing. Ill also be putting in my post after collecting all your polished first posts, so as to get them in correct order.

Please eveyone, post in the RPG as soon as you can, and put your best material in there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Burzdol, Elfhelm, and RR, its just you three left. Ill wait for your posts, mine goes after

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 03-14-2003, 06:55 AM   #52
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Well, Tara and I have been chatting in the Barrow Downs chat for a loooong time [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But, I was talking to her this morning and I asked her if I could join Swan Wood. I am actually part of a Gondor RPG; Castle Maladil, but I don't think I will have trouble keeping up with both. I have two characters, each which will most likely come in later in Swan Wood, but here they are;

Aerowen
Race: Elf or Man, whichever works best; I've played her as both, so it will not be a problem. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Physical Description: Aerowen has blonde hair, violet eyes (both elf and man). She is about 5'10" (suppose that could be for both [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and tends to wear earthen colours.
Background: Aerowen is just an ordinary human of Rohan; so she therefore has skills with horses. Aerowen also can weild a sword, and bow, though she favours her sword. Her horse is Glosran (SnowKing) a snow-white stallion that she obtained from her mother.
Any Special Features: Just her skill with horses, mostly. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This next one is my character in the Castle Maladil RPG, but, once again I've played with her as both elf and human, and even warg [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Alearindu
Race: Man or Elf (whichever applies)
Physical Description: She is about 5'9", green eyes and copper hair. She also tends to wear earthen clothing.
Background: Alearindu is from Rohan as well, but she did not take to horses as Aerowen did. She favoured swordsmanship, though she still has the capability of working with horses. She obtained Mornen (Black Waters) from her father as a gift for her birthday. Mornen is a jet black stallion, with a slight temper, but he has a strange ability to detect some danger.
Any Special Features: Just good with her sword [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well, Tara and the rest of you decide. I really can't post a first post, if you follow me. ^^

~The Lady Aerowen
Old 03-15-2003, 05:16 AM   #53
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

well, I really like Aerowen's charcters and think you'll do great [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Probably just decide where you want to come in, if not at the council?

If youre not under a specific leader Kryss, Im not sure how you would work at the council. All are there from royal summons, servants to Rohan, Gondor, or the last of the Elven leaders. Let me know how you would like to fit in.

Just waiting for the Rohirrim, they havent posted yet
Old 03-15-2003, 05:23 AM   #54
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I just put up my first post. I gave Ruling Ring and Burzdol PMs telling them to wait until I posted, because I wanted all of the men and elves to go first. Their posts should probably be up shortly.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:26 AM   #55
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

thanks Elfhelm, shall put mine in soon. Give me till Monday
Old 03-15-2003, 08:15 AM   #56
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi!

Just put up my first post on the RPG. Just wanted to let you all know!

TRR
Old 03-15-2003, 08:17 AM   #57
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

So I see I am not too late to be at the council. Yay. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Okay, I think I see an oppritunity here. But, Tara, I would like to know if my characters should be elven, men, or one of each. Though, if you do not mind, I think I am leaning more towards them both being men...because I can see where they might be able to come in now;

Elfhelm, Since I saw that you were a leader of a troop from Rohan, if my characters were men, they would both be from Rohan, so I was wondering if my characters could be a part of that troop...if we decide them to be men [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~The Lady Aerowen
Old 03-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #58
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello Tara!

Thanks for inviting me to Swan Wood. Here are my characters. Please tell me (PM if you prefer) if there are any problems, and such regarding the two.

I must read your RPG completely before I have them pop into the story... so give me several days to start posting. You know how busy I can get, hehehehe! (Okay, okay so I'm a sluggard too! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

Galain and Gorath are dark elves from the northwestern eaves of Mirkwood. They rarely mingle with other races and even with other elvenfolks who are not of their people. Suspicious by nature, it was by some restlessness in their hearts that they journeyed southward to Silverlode, stumbling into Swan Wood. They do not know what it is that calls them from their home, since it is common that they live solitary lives. They do not know of the journey to the West by the elvenkind yet.

Galain, the older brother was born at the beginning of the Third Age. Gorath was born a few years later. They are aware of "stories" of battles fought by the Elvenking, of the dragon, Smaug, but have kept themselves from such events.

Both have raven black hair and grey eyes. They wear leather dyed brown and green, allowing them to blend into the forest. They are armed with hunting bows, arrows and hunting knives.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:18 AM   #59
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Sting

No problem Aerowen! Herebrand's outrider party has 13 men, I gave a lot of room for expansion. There are still 10 nameless men waiting to be developed. Bethberry mentioned that shield-maidens are rare, but if you wish to make your character female I wouldn't mind.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:53 PM   #60
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I take it I'm too late? If not, I'll play pretty much anything you suggest to me. This seems to be the only possible Rohan game i could play in and I'm looking to develop (I'm going for the sympathy vote here)- so like I said, if you need any character- villager, man/woman, elf or even even evil!- please tell me!
although i haven't done anything in Rohan before I'm in Search for the Lost Messenger (Aylwen Dreamsong could tell you if I'm any good or not!)

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-15-2003, 08:17 PM   #61
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

That's great, Elfhelm So, I'll take this if all is well; and quick note; Alearindu and Aerowen are not necessarily shieldmaidens. Though, it'd be easier for me to make Aerowen one and Alearindu a female ranger (for that is what she is in Castle Maladil) but I'm able and willing to adjust!

Bethberry, any comments/questions/concerns are welcomed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Lady Aerowen
Old 03-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #62
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Elfhelm,

The stipulation about shield maidens (and, actually, to the use of a high proportion of female characters), arises from the need to respect the spirit of Tolkien and the narrative purpose of a game. There is no proscription against using them, but they must be incorporated into a game in a way meaningful to the story and not simply because a gamer is most comfortable writing that kind of character. There has to be a reason consistent with the game to have a high proportion of female characters.

Writing for Rohan does not involve escapist wish-fulfilment. It requires competent writing skills, complex development beyond the two paragraphs expected in The Shire, and a clear understanding that the aesthetic experience of the reader is important.

Enjoyment of the challenge of writing different characters is part of the experience of writing here at the BarrowDowns. We aim for high-quality, well-written, Tolkien-related storytelling. Those looking for looser interpretations and different guidelines should perhaps try other RPG sites.

Bethberry

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 03-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #63
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Were you addressing me in particular or everybody in general? I was just basing my statement on your comment--which I most likely misinterpreted. I'm sorry.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:54 AM   #64
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Kryss- that sounds okay, as long as she does fall in line at some point [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

LA: just put your first post in where it fits. I agree about them being Rohirrim, but ask you to consider BB's post. See if you can edit your profile to accomidate this (more on the family background etc)

Thali: Welcome! I like the idea of elusive elves. You've got my PM, just put your post in where it fits, they can arrive late, or we bump into them on the road.

I shall put my post in now, and let it go from there. Burzdol, when you post, Ill edit mine to put in your greeting.

Note: I have left my post rather open ended. I would like Laurel to get to know at least a few, if not all of the characters really well. I leave this part to an Elf or Mortal male to fill, whoever replies to it first

Let the journey begin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:12 AM   #65
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hullo all! Nice to see that we finally are at the point when the real action starts. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I just wrote a loooooong post where Annun was supposed to be the one who meets Laurel on the hill but guess what? I somehow managed to delete the whole text! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] And I really don't have the strenght right now to re-write it. Could you please reserve that spot for me (I mean that Annun would be the one who says those words in the dark) so I would post my part by tomorrow? Please... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:18 AM   #66
Ransom
Wight

Sting

Annunfuiniel -

Just make a post saying save. Then you can just edit and paste in your post when you've got it done. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Ransom
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #67
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Oh, that's how it works! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Ransom, thank you for the info, I'll do that right away! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 09:24 AM   #68
Ransom
Wight

Sting

Annunfuiniel-
NP [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Forgot to mention this, but sometime's its better to give a short summary of what your character is doing so your fellow RPrs can start writing.

Everyone-
I've got Leena's post up. Anyone who's talking to Laurel could probably see her picking flowers if they look hard enough.

For the scientifically inclined, Leena has hyperthyroidism. It's a condition when the thyroid secretes excessive amounts of hormones that leads to high body temperature, sweating, weight loss, irritability, and high blood pressure. Gotta love AP Bio. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit: Thagon's on his way to the ruined fountain. If anyone's there/going there he's got quite a bit of time to talk. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 03-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #69
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I have now edited my post in so take a look at it. It's somewhere there in the middle, right after Taralphiel's post. Hope you like it, it took such pains to write it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img](we had for example a power cut here just when I was writing it; guess again what happened to that text! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img])
And great job everyone, I really enjoyed reading your posts! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
But little reminder: please expunge your sigs from your RPG posts.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 03-19-2003, 05:05 AM   #70
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Wow! Love the posts guys!
Ransom:hyperthyroidism eh? (had to post that) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *giggles*

Lyra:Public apologies to you for missing your post. I am very sorry and ask that you put upyour profile in here now. Also, PM Elfhelm and ask about specifics of the Rohirrim. Id like you to work together and share each others knowledge

As of Thalionyulma's, Lara's and Lady Aerowen's character, no more primary characters will be accepted. There are still places for secondary characters. See first post in discussion

Ill reply to Annun's post, and put one of Taralphiel's in.

A council will be held at dawn before the cavalry leaves, and if we must, in Swan Wood itself

Just so you know when you can put quesations to Laurel, or even Taralphiel

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #71
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tara,
alright as your request, the Dark Elf shall appear temporarily, but he won't figure much in this adventure. He'll just bring his two "cousins' your way, have a meal or two and some news... and he'll be off perhaps.

I'll let them travel towards Lorien/Swan Wood for awhile... until they meet up with one of the characters. Or until they meet Taralphiel.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #72
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Don't worry about missing my post. It was only short! Anyway, I'm not sure about the Rohirrim character now. I wrote out a profile and it seemed a bit melodramatic, it was hard to try and get him to seem real. Anyway, I'm fed up of playing male warriors. I hope you'll accept me as a village person? I've PM'd Manaradariel, so when she gets back to me I'll put up my profile if that's OK. As I won't have to be at the council, I hope you won't mind if I join a bit late!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-21-2003, 04:10 AM   #73
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lyra: No problems! Let me know

Thali: excellent! The cantankerous elf shall join us temporarily! I look forward to it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:06 PM   #74
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

OK here is my bio for a village child. If/When you approve it I'll write a first post. Or maybe I'll just put it up tomorrow anyway!

Name: Elena

Looks: Brown curly hair tied off her face with a scarf. Grey eyes. Wears very neat though poor quality clothes.

History: Only child, and her mother died when she was little, but lived on a farm in Dor-En-Ernil with her extended family of cousins. Their farm was attacked and burnt, and everyone had to leave. Most of the family went to Dol Amroth where they had relatives but her father had grown up in the village in Swan Wood and decided to go there instead. She misses the farm and her cousins very badly and really wants to make new friends. She’s very fussy about her clothes and keeping neat all the time. She also tends to cry a lot. She’s very imaginative and likes to tell stories, the only problem is she tells it like it’s true- this could cause problems if she decides to tell stories about raiders! They go to stay with Fiona’s– Manardariel’s- family, who knew the father when he was younger and they think it’ll be nice for the two girls to get on together, but they hate each other. Elena’s really good with animals, from growing up on a farm. This may bring her closer together with Fiona, or just make her jealous!

Special features: She has a carved doll her uncle made her which she carries everywhere and talks to.

I’d really like the chance to start a scare that there are raiders coming to the village at some point in the game, if that would be possible.
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-22-2003, 04:33 AM   #75
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Certainly Lyra! Malandariel needs someone to keep her company! PM her if you have any ideas!

I have posted the Calembel council. All who want to ask Laurel anything, go ahead. Then were off to Alphirion [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 03:52 AM   #76
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

OK, I'll put up my post here so you can check it.

“It looks quite nice” whispered Elena quietly, her eyes flicking around the room in which she sat. Despite her brave words her voice held a hint of nervousness and uncertainness. “What do you think?”
Elena paused, as if she was actually waiting for the doll to answer, although she knew she wouldn’t. The room, in fact the whole house, was so different to the house she had grown up in. It all felt very strange to her, especially since she had no-one else to talk to. Somehow, talking to Della felt like she could be talking to her uncle, who had carved her. Elena felt lonely, and she didn’t like it. Growing up there had always been someone to talk to, uncles, aunts, cousins and of course her Papa. He was in the room next door now, speaking to the people who owned this house.

“This is so good of you” she heard him say.
“It is nothing, for a friend” a voice replied, the man.

“His voice is all grumbly and rumbly” whispered Elena. “Just like a bear! I wonder if he eats children?”
She shivered, but it was a fun sort of fear. Really she knew he would not eat her, Papa said he had lots of children himself.
“Lots and lots of children! Maybe about fifty” she whispered to Della.

“How old is your daughter?” asked a female voice.
“She is just eight” replied Papa.
“The same age as our Fiona. That will be good, for both of them I hope. Fiona is so wild, her best friends are her brothers”

Elena shivered again. A wild girl? “Maybe she’ll be the one to eat me!” she told Della wide-eyed.

“I know that Elena misses her cousins. I think that it’s having a bad influence on her.”
Papa sighed. Elena wanted to run through and comfort him, but she had been told to sit still. She sat carefully with her feet together and hands in her lap. Della was resting on her arms.
“She used to be a normal child, running around the farm getting mucky. Then we had the fire.”
He sighed again. It sounded so loud that it might blow all the leaves off all the trees in the village. Elena smiled to think of all the bare trees. “It seemed like something changed then” he continued “now she barely moves in case she musses her dress”

Elena wanted to go and tell him that she just wanted to be good, so he wouldn’t have to worry about her. Ever since she could remember he had had bushy black hair, now it was going grey and he had lots of little lines on his forehead that were not there before. Sometimes when Elena sat on his lap she traced the lines with her fingertip. They were like trails marked on a map.

“Elena?”
The bear voice was in the room now, making Elena jump. She clutched Della closer.
“Hello Elena” said the woman. Elena thought her voice sounded like a princess or something, maybe an Elf. Maybe she was descended from Elves! Maybe she is an Elf princess really and they will come and collect her and I’ll see their shining white horses, she told Della, but silently. Elena wasn’t ready to talk to her best friend in front of these new people yet.
“Hello” she answered softly, her blue eyes fixed on the ground.
“I hope you’ll be very happy here”
“Thank you” Elena replied politely, but inside she doubted it.
the Forbidden Link
Old 03-26-2003, 04:15 AM   #77
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Thats great Lyra! Put it on in!

I'll wait till Friday for anyone to ask any questions, or for Elfhelms reply to be posted, then ill begin the journey.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #78
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

I posted. I wasn't sure what would be a good question for a stereotypical "All-Knowing-Elf" to ask but I gave it a shot. Sorry it's so short. Anything I should change anyone?

-Maikafanawen
Old 03-28-2003, 05:09 AM   #79
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Its fine Maika, good job [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ive posted the end of the council. Now we set off, and hopefully stumble across some Elves on out path [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #80
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

If maikafanawen or any other elf would like to asy that they nearly rode over a little girl, or even talk to her that'd be good. if you don't I'll just continue!
the Forbidden Link