The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2003, 03:09 AM   #41
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

10? Wow, it's 5 here. And I've been on the BDs most of the night [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-20-2003, 10:20 PM   #42
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dūm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I found out at an MSN board that was fun. But anyway I thaught this palce was cool! So I joined. Me and a few freinds like the Name generator and so we torment others with it. We also played Hang a Hobbit and laughed the whole thing through. This is the coolest thing that I had found for a longgg time. Other than that I was looking for a site that I had been looing for for a while, was something similer or other. Anyway that is how I found it.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:15 AM   #43
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

While reading LotR I bought a book "Tolkiens Welt" (in German) and at the back of it there was a list of the 50 best internet-addresses about Tolkien! I checked some of them and liked the BD best.

I had never before used the internet at all and the computer hardly ever (being rather a luddite [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) My son had to show me how to work it.
And now I have been frequenting the Downs for a year! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Who would have thought that! My son is always teasing me about "looking into the Palantir" too often!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:23 AM   #44
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I found barrow downs as a link on another site..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] oh, well I think I did, it's been a long time since I found it....

Orofāniel
Old 12-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #45
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

My twin sister, whom I think you know as Merri (or Merry?) told me about this site last year. I think she was a regular poster until our mother banned her from all use of the computer because she wasn't studying hard enough! She told me to apologize for her, because apparently she abandoned an RPG thread or something that she was in charge of. She says she'd come back but she thinks you're going to eat her alive or something, as I said in another thread in The Shire. Anyway, I didn't have time to actually do any registering or posting or what have you until this year, so here I am!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #46
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A simple internet search for interesting LotR/Tolkien sites. Certainly didn't intend on joining a forum, but got hooked.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #47
Enorėiel
Wight

Enorėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I owe all my thanks to miss Sapphire_Flame, who suggested this site when I complained about my lack of Lord-of-the-Rings-fan-friends. Hannon le!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorėiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #48
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Certainly didn't intend on joining a forum, but got hooked.
Same here! My friend was showing me Barrowdowns once when I was over at his house, & then a few months later I decided to get on at my own house. The rest is history [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #49
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Looking for an elvish name. My brother found the name generator and I just happened to remember the site. Then I saw the forum...and discovered RPG games...and now I waste all my time here!

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:50 AM   #50
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Before I was a reader or really interested at all my friend showed me the some threads about the ring. Such as could Frodo have controlled the nazgul if he kept the ring or what would have happened if Sam kept the ring. I found it all interesting then when I was more interested I had my friend give me the name of the site again and here I am.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 PM   #51
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I was a member of two other boards,one I didin't get along with the people(hey it's not me they were the ones who laid into me)and the other was more of a movie fan site and didin't have much to do with the books.

So one late night I was bored and surfing the net and I found a link to this site,so I grabed a pint and checked it out and ta da!Here I am. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:04 PM   #52
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well today is my one-year anniversary of being a member of the downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I remember it vaguely because I think I went on the internet on Christmas Eve because there was nothing to watch on TV, and went on here to see what everyone was talking about (like I did many times), and I decided to take a chance and join. I think I first posted in the movies forum, but don't try to make me find that first post because I think it is long gone now.

This experience of being a member of the Downs has changed me much. I am now a much more outgoing person on the net, and it has encouraged me to do many Tolkien related things that I wouldn't normally do.

I love this place, it is now one of my little homes on the Internet [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2003, 05:03 PM   #53
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Happy deathday!

I had known about the Barrowdowns site for a fairly long time, but I never realized that it had a forum until this May. By then, I had stopped posting on the LotR Fanatics Plaza (where I had been a very rabid poster) and was suffering severe posting withdrawal. So, I decided to join this forum, and I'm having LOADS of fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 05:57 PM   #54
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

i found out about the barrow-downs from my good friend macaroni, and i'm glad she told me about it! cudos to you macaroni!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:55 PM   #55
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

I found the Barrow-downs from Elencala Isil, who showed me the 'Sauron's Discount Rings' thread... after a few months I decided what the hey, and joined. yes... *cowers and scurries away*

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:34 AM   #56
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Two years ago, when FotR was first shown, my classmates were all musing over this site that has an Elf-name generator. I was quite amused (though I was not an LotR fan then) and went to the site they told me to go to. After many months of playing with the name generators and stuff, I went to the chatroom. However, people there were not discussing ME-related things. Since I was a nouveau fan looking for others who can relate to me, I decided to see the forum for myself. At first I couldn't quite understand how it works, since I've never joined a forum before. Now, I'm a wight! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #57
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

My friend sent me the name generator and then i checked out the site. I loved it! a year later i find ou you can sign up and do forums!
Old 01-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #58
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was looking through Google for some LotR sites and stumbled across this one. It looked really spiffy and well organized so I checked it out more. Quite a while later I found about the forums. No this is one of the only other sites that I check regularly... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #59
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Mine's not that interesting, but, Mr Barrow-Wight, you may find it flattering.

Being a New Zealander, I get a free magazing every year on the LotR movies in the Newspaper, in the Fellowship one (which I still have, you won't believe some of the stuff you get out of the papers here, sometimes it's almost as crammed of Tolkien as TOR.net) was an interview. Tehanu's interview, in fact. As a side note is written...

Quote:
"There are hundreds of internet sites devoted to The Lord of the Rings including several with name generators. One (www.barrowdowns.com) provides your Orc name, your Hobbit name, your Elf name, your Dwarf name as well as guessing who you could be in Middle-earth."
...followed by...

Quote:
"In another internet tribute site (http://fan.theonering.net/writing/stories/files/whistler_greeneggs.html) a fan has rewritten Tolkien in the style of Dr Suess"
That is actually how I found TOR.net as well. Then, sometime after sneaking off to see LotR at midnight at somepoint (Mum had forbidden me to see it again, something about 10 times being enough) I got fed up with lurking and joined the Forum...I had lurked since November 2001!

Yeah...so there's my story. Be proud, Mr Barrow-wight, your site was in a special souvenir magazine celebrating all the best things about LotR!! And was mentioned *before* TOR.net [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #60
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
i had just finished the books and was hooked. i loved the elvish names so i decided to find my own. i searched for name generators and found my way here. this was a while ago. just recently have i ventured into the world of forums.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #61
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I found this site by happy accident. I was looking up my own surname - which some Downers actually know - and this site came up on Google. Intrigued, I came in for a look and the rest is history. I'll leave you to ponder how peculiar my 'real' name is.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #62
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
ooh Lalwende ..not "Miss Barrowdowns" ? LOL...

Someone I RPGed with introduced me to MadLibs about 3 years ago!!! and it tool another 2 years to look at the forum

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #63
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
ooh Lalwende ..not "Miss Barrowdowns" ? LOL...
Erm, not far off!

The other odd thing about me joining the 'Downs was that some months before I found A.N.Other Forum and I was pondering whether to join that. Alas, I found it far too confusing so I didn't bother, and I assumed all forums were equally as confusing. Then I joined and after just a few posts didn't post anything for months because I had a supremely dodgy computer. It was reading the RPGs that got me into it again.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #64
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I was searching for topics related to people being ticked-off at the portrayal of the Gondorian soldiers in RotK.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 AM   #65
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just kind of stumbled upon it.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 AM   #66
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
While reading LotR I bought a book "Tolkiens Welt" (in German) and at the back of it there was a list of the 50 best internet-addresses about Tolkien! I checked some of them and liked the BD best.
This forum is mentioned in the book? Wow!

I was lured in by one of the memberse. I won't tell who, have to ask permission first , but he even lets me use his PC from time to time. It was lot of fun to PM each other occupying same chair at the same screen in turns , like we were not able to tell it in words, I mean
Old 01-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #67
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
I found this site four years ago on a search engine. Not being one for social interaction I did not even look at the forum until this last December and when I saw all of the interesting discussion I knew I had to join.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #68
Assasin
Wight

Thumbs up

Well, I'm glad you did. It's really the best, isn't it?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #69
Assasin
Wight

Thumbs up

Well, I'm glad you did. It's really the best, isn't it? L8er
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #70
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Uhm Assasin why do you double post? Only the other has ''L8er''

Anyway, I found this site while I was looking for a Elvish name generator

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 AM   #71
ohtatyaro
Wight

Quote:
Uhm Assasin why do you double post? Only the other has ''L8er''
It happens when one remembers to put some extra word in the post which just started to be posted. I mean, that is, when you push Submit Reply button, than suddenly remember to put extra things in, and push Submit Reply button again, just as the blue line in the lower side of the screen already started crowling right (Internet Explorer, dunno bout other browsers). The effect is to have double posts, one with and one without addition.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #72
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Aaah, tnx for the information

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #73
Assasin
Wight

yeah, what Ohtatyaro said, or something like that. It was an accident
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #74
ohtatyaro
Wight

Boots Assasin

And you always can delete one extra post...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #75
Assasin
Wight

Pipe

Oh, yeah. I forgot about editing.... haven't really used it in a while, I guess
Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #76
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
I stumbled across the Barrow Downs while looking for a name generator several years ago. I spent a while at the fanfiction section but didn't actually join the forum for several months. Then I did, I got hooked on the Shire RPing, discovered Crazy Captions.... and the rest is history.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #77
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Erm, not far off!
How about "Ms. Downs," then? Or "Ms. Barrow"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeggaladiel
...and the rest is history.
Which includes establishing the Nearsighted Elves Society.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #78
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
How about "Ms. Downs," then? Or "Ms. Barrow"?
As they say when playing hide 'n' seek and getting close to the 'hidee' - you're getting warmer!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #79
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well since you provided a homepage link, Lal.... I guess I now know the truth... but I am afraid, for me your real name is Lalwende.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #80
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I discovered the Barrow Downs in much the same way that Maeg did. I was looking for a LOTR's name generator, as well as some good RPGs and fan fiction. After reading a few games in the Shire, I decided I would join myself. It seems like such a long time ago! I only ended up playing one RPG game in the Green Dragon.