The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Blood of the Westernesse

How does the blood of the Westernesse pass down in generations? I just read that Faramir has more of this blood than Boromir. How does the younger have more than the elder?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

i think they just ment he acted more like a westernesse than Boromir
Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

No I think it's possible, it would really mean that his DNA would be closer to the DNA of the Numenoriens.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The Dark Elf, you are rather mistaken. The term "Westernesse" refers to the island of Numenor itself, not to the people who lived there.

Look at it this way, sometimes genetic traits skip generations or siblings. For example, if your father has black hair and your mother has blond hair, you can have black hair and your sibling can have blond hair, but still be your sibling. The inheritance of the "Blood of Westernesse" works the same way. By the time of the Third Age, it was so diluted, especially in Gondor, that it probably skipped generations and siblings like crazy. Denethor had it, but he used it to look into others' minds and judge them harshly. Faramir had it, but he used it to understand others, not judge them. Unfortunately, Denethor loved Boromir more, and the fact that Faramir was that much more "powerful" than his brother probably contributed to the bitterness with which Denethor treated Faramir.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This topic was also discussed in this thread:

The blood of Faramir but not Boromir?

Cheers!

-Lily

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:26 PM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]
Old 01-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How does the blood of Westernesse pass down a generation?

Is that not simply answered by the fact that a son will get the genes of his father and mother, therefore carry the same blood lineage.

Royal are 'Blue blooded', they also carry down their ligneage.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I always thought that Faramir had a different mother than Boromir. I see now that I was mistaken, for both were the sons of Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just to poit out: having "the blood of the Westernesse" would really just be the visible or percieptable result of genes that were passed on from Numenorean ancestors. Scince huge numbers of genes would be responsible for these traits, it is perfectly possible to have all manner of gradations of people with "the blood of the Westernesse." My point is, it's not something you have or don't have, it's all a question of genetic makeup. There would have to be a huge range of possibilities, with Faramir happening to fall on the purer end of the spectrum than Boromir.

I would also argue that the distinction has more to do with personality than with physical traits, although personality is at least somewhat determined by genetics (the amount depending on where you stand on the nature versus nurture debate). So the difference is twofold: firstly, siblings (excluding identicle twins) always inherit different genes, otherwise they would look exactly the same, and secondly, it is impossible for two people to grow up in identicle situations, no matter how hard you try. This is both because events are never quite the same and because the way an event affects you is dependant on your reaction to it which is dependant on your genetic makup and previous experiences, so as siblings develope they diverge more and more. Since "the blood of the Westernesse" seems to me to reffer to general temperament as well as physical atributes and no two people (except identical twins - and not necissarilly even them) are ever geneticly identical, Boromir and Faramir would become completely different people, and it just happened by chance that Faramir greatly resembled the men of Westernesse wheras Boromir did not.

Yes I know I'm repeating many things that have already been touched on. I'm sorry. I just have this need to reiterate things in my own words and in what I feel to be a clearer, more concise way. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:09 PM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: Dancing_Hobbit ]