Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #41
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, Arië supposed that keeping Airelómë's memory good was the only way to restore dignity to an elf who always put others first. Arië wondered why it was so hard for her to put the dark memories behind her, perhaps it was that she had never seen another elf die before. The idea that their kind was immortal was one of the saving graces of this world.

She let her white blonde hair fall over her face as she dropped her head. She kept her eyes closed for a long while as Ihwesta danced. And dwelled on memories of past. She had seen Ihwesta dance many times, so it was nothing new to her.

It was then that she thought how nice it would be to be home, eating a meal with her family. Her father Menorë would sit at the head of the table, speaking of his thoughts of the future, for his family and of Arië. Her mother, Sendalien Arië, sat at the other end of the table, quietly ignoring her husbands remarks. And Airë sat in the middle, head down thinking.

She was thinking now of what her father would say if she returned. I told you so daughter, the edges of the woods are no place for one so delicate as you. yes, it would be something to that effect. Well, my father will be surprised wont he? she thought grinning.

Arië opened her eyes when the music was over and stared at her lap, the sight of dried blood came to meet her. As if in shock she sat up straight. "Are you allright?" asked Taurëwen. "Nothing, just the blood, i need to change." Arië excused herself and left to change.

On her return something caught the edge of her eye. Suddenly scared it was another spider, she unsheathed one of her two daggers. Out of the underbrush walked the stag from the morning of the hunt. "There you are..." cooed Arië to the stag, which to her surprise walked over to her. "I thought you were scared of me, I would never have killed you. Ihwesta might have though, she is a better hunter than I."

The stag bounded his head as if in agreement. "You are a magnificent creature arent you?" she said to the stag which sat down. "I know a stag like you near to where i live." but she was interrupted when the stag sniffed the air, jumped up and ran away. Arië jumped also. Someone, or something was coming, still it did not hurt to be prepared so once again, Arië armed herself.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #42
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

“And as the last notes of the last chord is strummed. The breeze settles back into its nook and the forest creatures nestled back into their crannies, ready for night’s diamond studded velvet blanket to tuck them in now that its lullaby was through.” Ihwesta whispered. Her head fell to the ground and then faced up towards her audience. Ceros smiled intently at her, his heart was indeed lightened as it always was by her performances and the sadness he had felt earlier seemed to be a little more relieved. His eyes lingered upon her face long enough to see rebellious tears forming in the corners of her eyes. He did not think they were tears of sadness, but left her to her own devices as the rest of the company settled down for a few hours rest after the ordeals that had been had earlier.

He left his place by the fire side and climbed up to the rocks were he had been seated earlier. The sky was still opened wide, not a cloud in the sky. And the moon, oh the moon! He was bright tonight. So handsome in the sky. But tonight didn’t feel like a night for marvel at the skies, it was a night reserve Airelómë’s memories in their hearts. Ceros watched over the rest of his companions, what a imprudent mistake he had made letting Airelómë wonder off into the forest alone. Without company. He could kick himself for his grave misjudgement which now had ended with a death. But now he had learnt from his mistake and hoped that the same or similar would not be made again.

His eyes glanced over to Arië who had just left her place by the fireside. She seemed disturbed by the whole affair, more than most of the company was showing at least. After all she had seen Airelómë die at the hands of the enemy and he was no doubt the first she had seen to die ever. She was young, and yet her lack of experience concerning death did not lead Ceros to disrespect her. She was some what innocent and had the unfortunate duty of witnessing the death of a friend, something no one should have to witness. She left to seemingly change her soiled clothes as she picked up her some on departing. Ceros waited a little while giving her due time to change and then slipped off of his high perch and followed the path she had taken behind a few trees.

“……I know a stag like you near to where I live." Ceros could hear her faint voice through the trees. As he came closer he brushed against a few branches causing something to jump and run. He came closer and into full view of Arië who had her bow drawn at the ready. The sight was met with surprise from Ceros who immediately lifted his hands in a pleading gesture as if Arië was about to shoot. She lowered her bow and loosened the arrow from its notch.

“So you found the stag?” asked Ceros. Leaning against the nearest tree.

“Yes I did, but you seemed to have scared him away…” Arië replied, while placing the arrow back into it quiver. Her eyes met Ceros’ and he could see a little amount of distress in her eyes.

“I take it is the first time you have seen another elf..” he was cut off by Arië’s expression. She wore one of pain, and of confusion.

“Ceros,” her voice was slightly shaking, “Indeed it is the first time I have seen an Elf pass from this world, and I wish never to see it again. But you talk of it so indifferently, as though it is something that you encounter almost everyday.”

“No,” he sighed, “I talk of it so offhandedly because I prefer to hide my feelings. I have seen Men die, Dwarves, Elves. You can never cease to forget everyone you have seen die, it is a permanent mark upon your memory that will never fade.” Arië looked shocked, but Ceros continued, “I guarantee you will see more deaths and I wish that you could not encounter any, but this shadow seems to have brought this threat upon us and we must deal with it as best we can. We are skilled warriors, trackers, scholars, healers and if we pull together we will be able to defeat this. Arië, you are young to have come on this journey and I may have had my doubts, but you came and you have shown me your skills, dealing with death is one of them. So remember Airelómë in your heart and cherish his memory, but I am sure he would not want you to dwell upon it and have it distract you from uncovering this shadow…”

She nodded, and smiled in thanks towards Ceros, and so the two returned to camp.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:58 PM   #43
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ainemetion did look for the tears in Ihwesta's eyes. Sweet tears of release, he thought. She has seen much. This was probably her way of relieving the tension building in her as it was in all.

He longed for daylight, when they could once again be moving. Restless, he would never have stopped on his own, but would have fought off the tense feeling and fear by constant movement. He at the same time wished that this moment could last for eternity, that they would never have to face that which they dreaded, that death, and pain, and sorrow would be forgotten in the beauty of the woodland night.

As he thought over these things, Ainemetion's eye fell on Gilbereth. He turned quickly away; he was ashamed of the childish feeling. Every time he looked at that Elf he felt ill. Few things had ever so disgusted Ainemetion. Surely Ceros had had a purpose in bringing that one, but he could not see it. Every thing he did, every word from Gil's mouth grated one Ainemetion.

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:47 AM   #44
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

The night passed slowly and none slept. Before dawn came, they had decided to move on again. Gathering their things, Ihwesta and Arie were sent ahead to he the first to meet their obstacles. The forest was silent that morning and little words were exchanged between the two elves. They were concentrating hard on what was around them, determined not be caught off guard a second time. Arie held her bow and arrow notched, but Ihwesta’s weapons stayed in their place. Too cumbersome to carry, she needed her hands for other things.

At the slightest sound or movement the two would halt, one staying on the ground the other ascending the nearest tree to get a better look at what was below. So far it had been the dropping of a dead leaf or bough, sometimes the latter snapping as it was tread on by a cagey rodent feeling the uneasy tension in the morning woods. So hushed was their milieu even after they’d traveled far from the first attack, Ihwesta was sure that something was waiting ahead for them.

Two hours after being separated from the other six of the fellowship, Ihwesta and Arie found their way back to report.

“There’s nothing Ceros,” Ihwesta told the leader who looked bewilderedly at the forest floor in thought.

“Well that’s good,” Gilbereth pointed out cheerfully.

“No,” rebuked Ihwesta. “It’s not. Nothing means absolutely nothing. No spiders and orcs, yes, but none of the regular forest inhabitants either. We’ve seen a total of two squirrels. Squirrels that looked as though they weren’t that at all but more like shades of such a rodent, wandering as if lost and so thin their bones pressed up against their skin. Not even the wind dares to occupy these parts. Something’s waiting for us, I can feel it.”

The group was taciturn, as Ceros reflected over what Ihwesta had said. The tracker meanwhile, backtracked twenty yards to see if anything was on the contrary to her opinion, following them. Arie didn’t accompany her and instead stayed with Ceros should she be needed to find Ihwesta. The thought wasn’t very comforting but the elf moved on through the canopy eyes and ears so alert she could catch the sound of flowers blooming, had there been any that morning. Something seemed to have taken all the color out of the forest that day.

She hadn’t been gone long when something obscured the ray of sunlight that she had just skirted. Ihwesta looked up and saw a black fog seeping through the tops of the trees coming from behind her where she had left the group. Only fifteen yards into her backtracking, she abandoned it and returned to find the fellowship also examining the mist perplexedly. Ainemetion looked up as Ihwesta joined them.

“Anything?” he asked. “Nothing but this fog,” Ihwesta replied without looking at him, set on reaching Ceros for the moment.

“Do you have any idea where it’s come from?” asked the leader as the oldest tracker reached him.

“I don’t think that matters,” she said tactlessly, getting edgy at the murkiness of the whole situation. “What matters is that it’s something of a legend, just like the spiders were, and it’s surrounding us quickly.” She pointed from whence she had just come and the mist was indeed creeping like a plague along the forest top and down the trunks.

“Is it alive?” asked Arie backing away as the fog began to encircle them. Ihwesta shook her head.

“No, it’s just fog. Unfortunately, it’s a kind of evil fog, shall we say? Our tracking senses won’t be much good in it. We can’t hear anything past it, nor see anything through it. We have two choices—”

“Choices that I will make,” said Ceros comfortingly. “This burden doesn’t fall upon your shoulders Ihwesta, please.” Then turning to the rest of the group he said, “We can either wait here until it passes—”

“IF it passes,” Ihwesta cut in.

“Or,” Ceros continued firmly, “we can risk moving through it, perhaps getting past the fog entirely, as long as we stay together. Are there any suggestions?”
Old 08-01-2003, 08:49 PM   #45
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

"Choices that I will make," said Ceros comfortingly. "This burden doesn’t fall upon your shoulders Ihwesta, please." Then turning to the rest of the group he said, "We can either wait here until it passes—"

"IF it passes," Ihwesta cut in.
"Or," Ceros continued firmly, "we can risk moving through it, perhaps getting past the fog entirely, as long as we stay together. Are there any suggestions?"

Eruwen stared at Ceros blankly as he spoke. She began to feel a little uneasy about the entire predicament they were in, and she began to throw out foolish words as she spoke her mind freely.

"I’m not trying to be negative about this whole thing," she said. "But neither of the choices sound very good to me. If we stay here, then whatever’s out there will eventually find us and attack us without warning. But if we go, then there is the risk of everyone getting lost and maybe even dead. So either way, we’re done for."

As Eruwen looked around at everyone’s vivid expressions of curiosity at her words, she quickly came back to her senses.

"But if you ask me, I’d say we try and find a way out of the fog," she added in. "That way we’d at least have a chance for survival."

Ceros nodded his head slowly as he stared back at the Elf. Eruwen lowered her head shyly, irritated at her own words, as she listened to the silence of the woods.

"Alright then, anyone else?" Ceros began turning to the remainder of the company.

Many other Elves spoke up and gave their opinion on the matter, and eventually it was decided that they journey through the fog. Eruwen now grew silent as they rode through the eerie darkness surrounding them. Although she knew she could not turn back on the quest, she regretted not listening to her brother’s words. She looked around into the eyes of a few others Elves around her but saw only solemn looks from all. Eruwen returned to her position of staring forward blankly into the murky wood and never turned her head again for many hours. Continuously thoughts of regret and sorrow filled her mind, but fright of this unknown fear surpassed all other feelings.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:42 PM   #46
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Eladain Moruviel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The night passed slowly and none slept. Before dawn came, they had decided to move on again. Gilbereth packed his few belongings into his pack, strapped on his cloak, and started off with the rest of the company. The two trackers had gone on ahead to look for any signs of danger. It was about two hours later that Ihwesta and Arie found their way back to report.

“There’s nothing Ceros,” Ihwesta told the leader who looked bewilderedly at the forest floor in thought.

“Well that’s good,” Gilbereth pointed out cheerfully.

“No,” rebuked Ihwesta. “It’s not. Nothing means absolutely nothing. No spiders and orcs, yes, but none of the regular forest inhabitants either. We’ve seen a total of two squirrels. Squirrels that looked as though they weren’t that at all but more like shades of such a rodent, wandering as if lost and so thin their bones pressed up against their skin. Not even the wind dares to occupy these parts. Something’s waiting for us, I can feel it.” The trackers then dissapered back into the forest.

A little while later they returned for a second time “Anything?” the Elf Ainemetion asked. “Nothing but this fog,” Ihwesta replied without looking at him, set on reaching Ceros for the moment.
“Do you have any idea where it’s come from?” asked the leader as the oldest tracker reached him.
“I don’t think that matters,” she said tactlessly, getting edgy at the murkiness of the whole situation. “What matters is that it’s something of a legend, just like the spiders were, and it’s surrounding us quickly.” She pointed from whence she had just come and the mist was indeed creeping like a plague along the forest top and down the trunks.
“Is it alive?” asked Arie backing away as the fog began to encircle them. Ihwesta shook her head.
“No, it’s just fog. Unfortunately, it’s a kind of evil fog, shall we say? Our tracking senses won’t be much good in it. We can’t hear anything past it, nor see anything through it. We have two choices—”
“Choices that I will make,” said Ceros comfortingly. “This burden doesn’t fall upon your shoulders Ihwesta, please.” Then turning to the rest of the group he said, “We can either wait here until it passes—”
“IF it passes,” Ihwesta cut in.
“Or,” Ceros continued firmly, “we can risk moving through it, perhaps getting past the fog entirely, as long as we stay together. Are there any suggestions?”

Then the she-elf Eruwen spoke up "I’m not trying to be negative about this whole thing," she said. "But neither of the choices sound very good to me. If we stay here, then whatever’s out there will eventually find us and attack us without warning. But if we go, then there is the risk of everyone getting lost and maybe even dead. So either way, we’re done for. But if you ask me, I’d say we try and find a way out of the fog," she added in. "That way we’d at least have a chance for survival."

"Alright then, anyone else?" Ceros began turning to the remainder of the company. “ I think we should try to wait it out” Gilbereth suddenly said. “ If we try to go through it, whatever it is that’s hiding in there can pick us off one bye one.” Several others in the group murmured there agreement to this, but much to Gilbereth’s dismay it was finally decided that they would continue on into the fog.

As they walked, the fog continued to grow thicker, until Gil could hardly see five feet in front of Him. “If this continues on for much longer, we’ll have to stop weather Ceros wants to or not” He thought to himself. Then He heard it, a small rustling sound to His left, He looked at the other elf’s faces, and wasn’t if sure they had heard it also. Whatever it was out there, it didn’t sound like an animal, at least not one Gil had ever heard before “Perhaps it’s just my mind playing tricks on me” He told himself “the others don’t seem to have heard it” and so He just brushed the matter aside and continued walking.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #47
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ceros' words to Arië earlier were comforting. The young elf had finally decided that yes, more of them perhaps would die. Ihwesta in the meantime had gotten the company on their way again, and had told Arië to stay with Ceros and the others in case that Arië would be needed to help find Ihwesta. As much as she did not like the idea of Ihwesta going off alone, she thought that it was the only way. There was no sense in having two trackers killed off, whatever their amount of skill.

Ihwesta returned, and told them of what lay ahead. They worked out that that it was just a simple fog. Eruwen was in the middle of speaking, and Arie was to mixed up in her own thoughts until she was brought back to hear Eruwen say; "So either way, we’re done for." Arië's eyes widened, Its not true, we will get out of this, or destroy it.

She was now getting angry. If it werent for the other elves, we would be safer. Cowards, and they better than i at a great many things, refused Ceros and the king, because of what? Becuase they valued their lives?. Oh, if I could tell them something right now! Had they truly valued their lives, they would have come with us. Save myself a lot of grief thats for sure. If it werent for us, these spiders may consume the whole population of Greenwood. Still, if we are defeated, our bodies will lay forever in the mirk of the woods, and disaster will overcome Greenwood. No failure is not an option. She was now frowning deeply to herself.

Ceros asked for the opinions of the other elves, and Gilbereth offered, “ I think we should try to wait it out” Gilbereth suddenly said. “ If we try to go through it, whatever it is that’s hiding in there can pick us off one bye one.” Arië looked at him and spoke aloud. "Gilbereth has a point, fog clears... usually. And it may give us a vantage point should anything try to attack us."

Ceros seemed to disaagree with the two of them. "No Arië, There is a chance that the fog is thinner, or even non-existant a few yards away, further than Ihwesta has gone." Ceros had a point also. Arië looked back at Gilbereth as if to say, Well, we tried diddnt we?

Ceros and Ihwesta headded the company with Arië taking up the rear. Since they had left their camp site, Arië's fitted bow was in her hands. She would not let an ambush like that frighten her again, or take one of her friends. She was taking way to much notice to see what was in front of her. Which was almost nothing which could be seen, becuase she went head first into Ainemetion's back, and was lucky that she did not impail him with her arrows.

"Sorry Ainemetion!" she said getting up from the ground. "I was to busy watching I-" She saw Gilbereth's head jerk to the left. This fog is really starting to get to people. Arië thought an accepted Ainemetion's hand to help her up.

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #48
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Taurëwen had nocked her bow in readiness as they left the camp, but now she could no longer see any of the others, but she could still make out the faint sound of their breathing around her, she quickly un-nocked her bow returning the arrow to her quiver and returning her bow to her shoulder, it would be useless to her in this darkness.

Taurëwen felt around for one of the others, she found an arm, "It's me! Taurëwen!" she whispered quickly as she felt the arm she held tighten. She heard a sigh of relief and a blade slipping into a sheath, "Taurëwen, can you see anything at all?" She recognised Eruwen's voice, "No, not a thing, this is not a natural fog!" she replied uneasily.

"Taurëwen! Eruwen! is that you she heard another elf exclaim, then she felt a tight grip on her right arm, she instinctively tensed, but relaxed when she realised that the voice belonged to Gilbereth. "Yes!" the two elf women answered together, "Are any of the others with you?" he asked apprehensively. "No" she sighed. "Ceros! Ihwesta!" she heard Eruwen call out into the impenetrable darkness, "Arie! Ainemetion!" Gilbereth add to the dark silent air. "Reynion!" Taurëwen cried, realising that the safe comfortable feeling that she felt when she sensed him near was gone.

When no answer came the three elves fell silent, Gilbereth was the first to break the silence, airing the question they were all thinking "What will we do now?" "we have to try and find the others!" Taurëwen said earnestly, "I too wish not to remain here waiting for what ever is out there to find us! " Eruwen added anxiously. "All right it is decided, we will go on and try to locate the others" Gilbereth answered trying to sound confident in his words.

As they walked on, still holding on to each other lest they too got lost, Taurëwen thought about Reynion and wondered if he was safe, always when she wandered the woods of their realm she felt most happiest and contented in the area in which Reynion had his forest home she always felt comfort in the knowledge that he was there even though see never saw him, and when she did catch a fleeting glimpse of him her heart warmed. Taurëwen blushed in the darkness as she realised she harboured feelings for this elf. 'Now is not the time for such things' she scolded herself internally, 'the realm is in danger and I am thinking such things, it is likely that one or both of us may not even return from this mission,' she thought despairingly, then determinedly she pushed her thoughts and feelings for Reynion to the back of her mind, as she did, she heard Eruwen and Gilberth arguing.

"We will not find them!" Gilbereth was saying "I'm telling you we are going round in circles" Eruwen was saying to were she thought he stood, no she was wrong they weren't exactly arguing they sounded decidedly despairing her own thoughts came back to her and she realised what was happening! "Stop! she cried, bringing the pair to a sudden halt. She moved Gilbereth's right hand onto Eruwens left arm and put his right hand on her belt so her hands were free to rummage in her herb satchel, she brought the various leaves to her nose to smell out the one she was looking for, "Ah ha!" she exclaimed as the lemony smell of Melissa Officinalis reached her nostrils, "Here, chew on this" she said pressing a leaf into the hand of each elf, "What is it" They both asked dubiously. "it's simple lemon balm" she told them as she chewed one of the lemon tasting leaves, "It will rid you of the despair that you are feeling."

The lemon balm seemed to work the three of them once again moved on, randomly calling the names of the others in the hope that one of them would answer.....!

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 08-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #49
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Lost in thought, Reynion had fallen behind, and was now quite lost. He couldn’t hear, see, or sense any of the others. The black mist surrounded him and he almost couldn’t tell up from down. It was like water in a way; if he moved his hand the mist would drift away from it, but the space filled immediately. It would have been fascinating to watch, if there wasn’t so much danger to Tau—the others involved. Not to mention himself. He reached out blindly, hoping to find Tau—one of the other elves. Even Gilbereth would be welcome at this point, at least he wouldn’t be alone.

“Taurëwen! Ceros! Ihwesta! Anyone!

His voice seemed to fade and die before it left his lips. The silence of the black mist pressed down, and Reyn was suddenly afraid. Of what, he didn’t know, but there was something out there, something malevolent. It made him angry, fear had no place in his mind. He would just have to find the others. There was no room for failure. He reached out again, and his left hand met something smooth. Was it—no, it was only the trunk of a tree. He called out again, praying that someone, somewhere would hear him. There was no answer.

Dear Eru, let her—let them be all right. Let none die, he silently entreated. There had been enough of that already, with Airelómë and the elves whose disappearance had caused this mission. He groped his way past the tree, and continued shouting the names of the others. Taurëwen, especially.

Unfortunately, he was going in the wrong direction...

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 08-15-2003, 02:31 AM   #50
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Arië was becoming anxious, it was getting harder and harder to see the other elves within the company. Arië knew at least that Ainemetion was behind her and Ihwesta was somewhere near.

"Ihwesta!" she called into the mist.
"Arië?" ah, she is still here! Arië thought. "Can you see me?" Ihwesta called.

"No!" Arië strained her eyes, "Nothing! I can bearly hear you!"

Arie lowered her bow incase she were to injure someone else who happened to walk in front of her. Which was lucky because in the next ten seconds, she walked into the back of something which scolded. "Ihwesta!" Arië called getting up blindly.

"Well, now you have found me!" Ihwesta chortled, a slight laugh in her voice. "Indeed..." muttered the younger elf.

"Whose here then?" Ceros asked out of the blue. He had been very quiet lately, but then again, who hadnt? Arië clung to the back of Ihwesta's tunic. "Im here" Ainemetion called from behind Arië. "And the others?" Arië waited for the rest of the elves to register their being.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-15-2003, 09:53 AM   #51
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen walked through the mist blindly and barely able to hear even her own footsteps. She looked around in every direction as she walked, but she saw no one. Ah, maybe this wasn't such a good idea, she thought to herself as she continued on.

As she walked on slowly, she began to hear breathing around her. Eruwen removed her dagger from its sheath and began to follow the breathing...hoping to find a member of the company. Suddenly, she felt a hand grab her left arm, but the voice she heard follow was, thankfully, a friendly one.

"It's me! Taurëwen!" she heard the Elf say.

Eruwen sighed and returned her dagger to its sheath as she replied, "Taurëwen, can you see anything at all?"

"No, not a thing, this is not a natural fog!" Taurëwen replied uneasily.

The two Elves walked on for a short moment but stopped when they heard another voice rise above the silence in the forest.

"Taurëwen! Eruwen! Is that you?" an Elf said coming up to them.

"Yes!" the two elf women answered together recognizing Gilbereth's voice.

"Are any of the others with you?" Gilbereth asked.

"No," Taurëwen sighed.

Eruwen soon became frustrated with all of the fog, and cried out loudly.

"Ceros! Ihwesta!" she shouted, but no reply came.

"Arie! Ainemetion!" Gilbereth added, but still there was no answer.

"Reynion!" Taurëwen yelled finally.

Sadly, once again, they realized they were indeed alone. Eruwen lowered her head and sighed. How had they gotten lost this fast? She thought. She knew eventually it would happen, but she did not think it would be so soon. Now what are we supposed to do? She thought again. It is only we three, and who knows if the others have found each other.

"What will we do now?" Gilbereth said breaking the silence.

"We have to try and find the others!" Taurëwen said.

"I too wish not to remain here waiting for what ever is out there to find us! " Eruwen added nervously.

"All right it is decided," Gilbereth answered trying to sound confident in his words. "We will go on and try to locate the others."

Eruwen nodded, though it would not do much good for they were blind even from each other. Nevertheless, they continued on silently into the mist. Eruwen listened to all that she could hear around her, which was not much, and began to think hard about different things. I wonder what it is, she thought to herself as she anxiously walked on. Taurëwen was right. This is no natural fog. But what unusual fog this is! Eruwen held her hand out in front of her face, or so she thought. I cannot even see my hand. Oh, I wonder how the others are doing. Are they wandering alone, or have they found one another as well? Are they even still alive?

Suddenly Eruwen’s thoughts were broken by a faint sound in the distance. She had heard it before, but she was beginning to wonder if it was only her imagination. After all, it was extremely muffled by the fog, but...it was almost as if she thought to hear something in the trees.

"Does anyone hear anything?" Eruwen said.

"I have heard nothing for hours," Gilbereth replied. "Why, what is it?"

"I’m not sure," said Eruwen. "But I think that I hear something, though I’m not sure if the sound is real or not. I’ve heard it before though...have we come by this place already?"

"It is not anyone of our company, if that’s what you’re thinking," Gilbereth said. "It’s hopeless. We will not find them!"

"We’ve been here before," Eruwen added. "I'm telling you we are going around in circles."

"Stop!" Taurëwen yelled suddenly.

Eruwen jumped at her scream, and waited curiously at the Elf’s motives for the sudden halt. She felt a hand grab her left arm again, and listened as she tried to hear what Taurëwen was doing. Ah, no use, Eruwen though. The fog is too thick.

"Ah ha!" Taurëwen exclaimed as a lemony smell filled the air. "Here, chew on this."

"What is it?" Eruwen asked reaching forth for the leaf. She heard Gilbereth ask the same.

"It’s simple lemon balm," the Elf told them as they each chewed on the leaves. "It will rid you of the despair that you are feeling."

As Eruwen chewed on the lemony tasting leaf, she soon felt her sadness leave, and they all continued out into the wood. Every once in a while, one of them would call out the name of a member of their company, but no reply ever came back. Though Eruwen indeed felt well again, the strange sound that she thought she heard never left her mind, and fear continued to dwell inside her.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:06 PM   #52
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

"Whose here then?" Ceros asked out of the blue. He had been very quiet lately. Arië clung to the back of Ihwesta's tunic.

"Im here," Ainemetion called from somewhere behind Arië.

"And the others?" Arië asked, waiting for the rest of the elves to register their being.

There was no sound.

“Taurëwen? Reynion? Eruwen?” Ihwesta called short and loud, hoping the boom of her voice would penetrate the mist better than a long-held yell would. When no answer came, Ihwesta knew that they had been separated temporarily.

“Ceros,” she said hotly. “If you don’t object, I think it would be a good idea to get a rope that we all can hold on to so that the rest of us don’t get lost.” As much as she respected the elf two thousand years her senior, she had a problem with taking orders, especially when they were in a predicament. An elf passed her a coil of rope from her left. She took it and began to unravel, tying it to a loop on her belt. Then she gave it to Ceros, telling him to do likewise. The rope was passed around until Ihwesta, Ceros, Ainemetion, and Arië were attached in that order. At Arië’s small protests at being in the back, Ihwesta had politely explained that trackers should be at both the front and rear of the line. The matter was dropped and she didn’t have to explain why she had the front.

Fifty feet of rope divided Ihwesta from Ceros and the others were only six feet from their neighbor with twenty-five feet separating Arië and Ainemetion. This way Ihwesta could still go ahead a fair distance to scout out. Tied securely to the makeshift leash, the four elves felt their way through the forest in the direction Ihwesta was sure was south.

“But the others,” Ceros said tetchily, stopping Ihwesta before she went ahead.

“We can not find them in the mist,” she pointed out. “And if they’re the intelligent elves I hope they are, they won’t trace backwards looking for us, they’ll continue onwards.”

“Gilbereth is with them,” Arië said lightheartedly. Ihwesta smiled, but through the mist no one saw.

“So is Taurëwen. She’ll lead them straight.” No more words were said and the four walked on again.

The blackness that surrounded Ihwesta was frightening. She had always been able to see at least ten feet around her even in the darkest night. With this mist shrouding her vision, she was granted only a mere twelve inches and no ground was in sight. It was a very depressing sort of feeling and a sense of helplessness washed over her. Nostalgically wishing she had Reynion’s pipe, Ihwesta pressed on, feeling with her feet as she went.

The progress was slow and they covered only a hundred yards in about thirty minutes. To Ihwesta, who liked to move fast and assuredly, this was extremely frustrating.

She had let thirty yards of slack fall between her and Ceros when she felt him tug on the rope. Starting at the movement she hurried back, praying that nothing was amiss.

“What?” she said. “What is it??”

“What are we doing?” he asked tensely. “Where are we going and why?” Ihwesta opened her mouth to answer but nothing came out. She didn’t know. All she was doing was heading south like they had originally planned, covering the extent of their forest with only four of them left.

The thought wasn’t very appeasing but she wasn’t going to sit around and wait for the other four to just bump into them. They set out from the palace with a mission. Nowhere did it say they had to stay together and complete it as a whole. If that was so they’d already failed when Airelómë died.

“We’re pressing south like I said Ceros. If they’re still around they’ll catch up to us.” That covered she walked towards the back of the line to talk with Arië. She also had let slack fall and was backtracking to see if the others were anywhere behind them. Ihwesta jerked on the rope and waited for Arië to return.

“Have you had any luck?” Ihwesta queried when she felt Arië touch her arm slightly to let her know she was there.

“Nothing. It’s the silence of death, Ihwesta. It’s a wonder that the Mist doesn’t kill.” Ihwesta nodded.

“I agree. We’re going to try and move faster, I’m thinking that this is like a shadow that will pass over an area, leaving no trace behind it as it was.” Ihwesta doubted the theory and from Arië’s hesitation so did she. But no one really had another idea.

Arië continued to search behind them, coming up every once and a while to check back before going back again and Ihwesta led them on cautiously, but doubled the pace. Soon the mist began to thing ever so slightly and another foot was added on to Ihwesta’s vision scope. Hopefully the mist was beginning to clear...
Old 08-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #53
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Gilbereth continued Walking in silence. Wrapped in his thoughts he didn’t even notice that the fog a gotten thicker, until he realized that he was alone and couldn’t even see his feet. His first instinct was to panic, but he forced the feeling down and did his best to remain calm. If I run around panicking, it won’t do me any good he told himself I just have to stay calm and try to find the others, they can’t be too far off. He walked on for a moment, then he heard something, he walked on in that direction and then he heard what sounded like Eruwen saying "Taurëwen, can you see anything at all?"
Then he heard what he was sure was "Taurëwen’s voice. Overjoyed at having found at least these two he exclaimed "Taurëwen! Eruwen! Is that you?” "Yes!" the two elf women answered together, "Are any of the others with you?" he asked apprehensively. "No" she sighed. "Ceros! Ihwesta!" he heard Eruwen call out into the impenetrable darkness, "Arie! Ainemetion!" Gilbereth add to the dark silent air. "Reynion!" Taurëwen cried.

When no answer came the three elves fell silent, Gilbereth was the first to break the silence, airing the question they were all thinking, "What will we do now?" "We have to try and find the others!" Taurëwen said earnestly, "I too wish not to remain here waiting for what ever is out there to find us! " Eruwen added anxiously. "All right it is decided, we will go on and try to locate the others" Gilbereth answered trying to sound confident in his words.

Stumbling on through the fog, they held on to each other so that none could get separated again Bloody fog Gilbereth thought darkly It’s as thick as a dwarf’s beard, I can’t even see my hands “Unh!” he cried as he stumbled over a root. That was it, he had had enough "We will not find them!" he cried out in frustration "I'm telling you we are going round in circles" Eruwen was saying to were she thought he stood. Stop! Taurëwen cried, bringing the pair to a sudden halt. She moved Gilbereth's right hand onto Eruwens left arm and put his right hand on her belt so her hands were free to rummage in her herb satchel. "Ah ha!" she exclaimed as the lemony smell of Melissa Officinalis reached her nostrils, "Here, chew on this" she said pressing a leaf into the hand of each elf, "What is it" They both asked dubiously. "it's simple lemon balm" she told them as she chewed one of the lemon tasting leaves, "It will rid you of the despair that you are feeling."

The lemon balm seemed to work and Gil felt much relaxed as the three of them once again moved on, randomly calling the names of the others in the hope that one of them would answer. Not that it will do us much good he told himself, but at least they were doing something rather than standing around waiting in the slight hope that the others will find us. They walked on this way for what seemed like ages, but then the mist started to clear. Finally! Gilbereth thought with joy Finally we can get out of this blasted fog!

At that moment he heard something, he looked at the others to see if they had heard it too, they both nodded. “It sounds like a cry for help” he whispered to back to them “perhaps it’s the others? Maybe we should go check it out.” After a quick conference it was decided that they would indeed go see what it was. They all knocked their bows and slowly advanced into the clearing where the sounds were coming from. When they entered the clearing what Gil saw gave him chills, he saw bones scattered about the place, and along with the bones were webs. He heard something snap behind him, but before he could turn around, something stabbed into his leg and he blacked out.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 08-16-2003, 05:03 AM   #54
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

“What are we doing?” he asked tensely. “Where are we going and why?”

“We’re pressing south like I said Ceros. If they’re still around they’ll catch up to us.” [I]And what if they are not still around?[I] he thought, but it was too late to return the comment to Ihwesta, she had left to check on Arië. Ceros had felt uneasy about the whole thing, but he guessed that Ihwesta was probably right. If they were to complete what they had set out to do there was no point in staying in one place searching for their companions. They might as well head south, but still search.

His head was slightly clouded, ever since they had lost Airelómë he had felt a sort of distressing pain in the back of his head, he suspected that it might be a lot worse than a few spider and an impenetrable mist. Things were definitely not looking up. And to add to it Ihwesta seemed reluctant to take any orders from him. He sighed, so it wasn’t going to be as simple as he had hoped, but then again it was for the good of Greenwood.

Ceros could hear Ainemetion whispering from behind him, “I think it is clearing slightly….” his voice carried a small air of hope.

“It is,” commented Ihwesta as she passed the two on her way to the front of the company.

They continued onwards for a few more hours, they seemed more like ages though. The mist thinned ever so faintly. But this was enough for them to regain some of their sight. They still walked through the haze, Ceros tugged on the rope again to get Ihwesta’s attention . She walked back to him.

“Ceros?” she questioned, “what is it?”

“Once the mist clears…” he hesitated, they could either wait for the other, search for them or go on ahead with out them. None of the options were favoured by Ceros. The first could leave them there for days, the second could do exactly the same. And the third meant leaving them to their own devices, and Ceros knew that they both needed each other. But wait! How did he even know the other were all together, they could have been split up and were by themselves, or even worse a spider could have……No it wasn’t worth thinking about, they were going to find them.

“Yes…”

“We keep going south, they will catch up with us or us with them, unless…”

Ihwesta frowned, she knew what he was thinking. “Hope fully not…..” She returned to the front and they continued.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:38 AM   #55
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Taurëwen could not say how long they had fumbled about in the darkness of the mist, nor how far or in which direction they had come. As the mist started to finally lift she heard something in the distance ahead of them, she stopped and listened intently. "It sounds like a cry for help" Gilbereth whispered behind her, she nodded her agreement. "perhaps it's the others? Maybe we should go check it out." the young elf went on, speaking out loud her exact thoughts. "Yes, we should go they may be hurt!" Taurëwen said earnestly.

Once they had all agreed, Taurëwen nocked her bow and followed the others into the clearing were the cries had come from. She banked at the sight before her, bones littered the ground and great webs hung from the trees, Her thoughts went instantly to Reynion and the others, "oh Eru! please let them not be here", she whispered looking at the bones at her feet.

just then she heard a snap, she turned and gasped out loud. A giant spider had wrapped it's great maw about Gilbereth's leg, "Gil!" she cried letting loose the arrow in her bow, but it was no use she was to close the arrow just skipped of the spiders hard body. She stumbled back dropping her bow and unsheathing her sword, her heart raced as the giant spider stepped over Gil's lifeless body and started towards her.

"Come to me my sweet" she heard a hissing voice behind her, she spun round to see another huge spider clacking it's great jaws at her, she jumped out of its way just in time. Walking backwards, shuddering as bones crunching beneath her feet, she kept both spiders infront of her. But little did she know that she was walking straight towards one of the silvery webs that were spun between the trees.

She could hear Eruwen's bow ringing or was it her dagger she could not tell over the hissing and clacking of the spiders infront of her, Suddenly the thought of Gil's lifeless body filled her with rage and she swung her sword viciously towards the nearest spider, making a gash across one of its huge legs. It screamed in anger and lashed out at her,the blow connected with her face knocking her backwards into the waiting threads of the giant web, her sword clattered to the ground. The spiders laughing coldly as they advanced on her.

"Reynion" She wept softly turning her head away as the larger of the two spiders bore down on her. Then once more she was wrapped in endless darkness.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:01 PM   #56
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The mist was finally clearing, for which Reynion was profoundly grateful. He did not like being made afraid, and the mist had done just that. It angered him. He only hoped that everyone else was all right. Especially a certain elvenmaid, with golden hair…he shied away from that thought quickly. Things were quite complicated enough, thank you.

As the mist lifted, Reyn blinked hazily to allow his eyes to adjust to the comparative brightness of the daylight. Something crashed through the forest to his right, and a thin, wispy sort of voice whispered, “Thisss one doesssn’t look ssso juicy asss he could be. He hassn’t been eating right.”

He froze. The voice did not belong to an elf, nor a dwarf, nor yet a man. He turned slowly, loosening his belt-knife as he did so. It was a spider, though a great deal smaller than the ones that had attacked the elves before, perhaps younger. Which would mean that it was less experienced and would possibly be easier to kill. Though, that did not mean he would take ease for granted. “I’ve been eating quite well, hanon le. Perhaps you haven’t been doing so well yourself.” He chuckled a little, to cover up his nervousness. One did not simply take on one of Ungoliant’s spawn alone. He rather doubted that he’d survive.

“It’sss noisy, too. Well, we’ll let it hang in the treesss for a bitsy, then we’ll eat it all up,” the spider rejoined, angry that this food-creature was daring to insult it. It came closer, hissing and clicking its mandibles. Reynion tensed. He slid one of his knives out of its sheath and threw it into the spider’s eye. Enraged, the spider charged, heedless of its half-blindness. Reyn threw his second knife at its other eye, and dodged around a tree. He wished that Taurewen was with him; they’d serve this one as they had the other. As it was, he’d have to continue this game until the spider was worn out before he could kill it. He dodged around another tree and threw a third dagger. Only one left. It was then that the now thoroughly blinded and enraged spider staggered. It regained its feet and hissed. He threw his last knife, aiming for the vulnerable joint between the neck and the head. He did not miss. The spider’s body convulsed a few times, then lay still.

Reynion walked cautiously up to the body and tried to find his knives in the green/black ichor oozing from the body of the monster without getting the spider’s blood all over him. He had only recovered one of them when he heard the screams. He whirled and ran in the direction from which they came.

“Dear Eru…” he murmured as he picked his way through old webs and bones. There was a stink here, like old tombs. Or dea—he stopped. There were more spiders, many more. Several the size of the one he’d just killed were scurrying about the trees, spinning webs and hissing and chuckling to each other. There were two, nearly twice the size of the others and these were obviously the leaders, perhaps even the parents of the brood of hissing, malformed beasts in the trees above. There was a web behind them that held something that was moving, just barely enough to vibrate the web. One of the enormous spiders moved to the side, just a little.

Reynion’s heart stopped. Taurëwen… She was hanging in the middle of the web, with Eruwen suspended beside her. Gilbereth was lying on the ground, apparently d.ead, though perhaps he was only stunned. Reyn didn’t realize that he’d moved until the huge spider looked in his direction and hissed, “There’sss another of them, dearsss. More for sssupper.”

He had barely time to register the delighted clackings of the smaller spiders before they were upon him. Oops… he thought distractedly as he tried to fend off the creatures. Fire lanced through his left knee as one of the bigger monsters joined in. He slashed wildly with his sword and managed to break through the ring of spiders to the north. He looked back at Taurewen, then ran, ignoring the pain in his leg. He had to get away, find the others, bring them back. Somehow. He had to save her—them.

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 08-21-2003, 03:02 AM   #57
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

The mist was clearing. They seemed to have strayed from a recognisable path altogether. Although Ihwesta was leading them well, avoiding obstacles like boulders and fell trees which they were not able to see until the actually fell over them. But the mist was thinning now, and their eyes started to register with their surroundings. Ceros looked around suspecting to find the trees standing tall and proud.

But he was met by quite a different sight. There were webs everywhere, winding themselves around trees and squeezing the life out of them, suffocating them. As they brushed past the webs they could see the damage done to the trees, marks and deep hacks and slices were set into them. This place certainly wasn’t the Greenwood he knew. It was as though the company had strayed into a nightmare. All of them were speechless, and the silence hung in the air, saturating it. Until they heard running.

Ihwesta was the first to hear it as she was at the head of the company. She ran back to where the rest were and told them of what she had heard.

“Someone is coming,” she whispered into the huddle.

“Someone or something?” question Arië. She had a very good point, what if it was an enemy?

“Draw your weapons then, Ihwesta how many come?” asked Ceros turning to the she elf.

“One…”she said looking into his eyes, “Just one…”

“Let us hope you are right,” Anemetion said swiftly as he drew his knives. The others drew their bows. Fortunately the thinning of the mist would allow them to see this thing from a good 10 metres away, and that would undoubtedly leave enough time for them to slay it. So they waited, but only for a few seconds. In the distance a shape was forming, Ceros’ tightened his arrow onto the notch and waited. Slowly but surely the form came closer. Arië was the first to drop her weapon followed by the others.

“ Reynion” cried Arië, she rushed to him and saw that he was injured, as the others gathered around she asked, “What happened?”

“Spiders, they have the others,” he said flatly hiding the pain from his leg.

Wasting no time Ceros said hastily, “Which way?” and so they followed him running through the debris of webs and marred trees, the ran swiftly and the still air whipped their faces, branches caught their faces but they didn’t care, they had to get to the others. As the approached the spider lair so to speak, Reynion slowed down. He put his hand up to halt them and he alone crept forward passed the spider he had slain earlier. He beckoned them forward and showed them where the others were. Ceros stared into the lair and he could see Eruwen and Taurëwen hanging, the life drained from them, his eyes wondered to the floor where Gilbereth lay, apparently dead but Ceros assured himself that he was only unconscious. He dreaded the thought of losing anyone else. They crept forward not making a sound.

“Its too quiet..” whispered Anemetion. The other nodded in agreement. It was too quiet.

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 08-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #58
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

“Its too quiet...” whispered Ainemetion. The others nodded in agreement. It was too quiet. Ihwesta crept forward just behind Ceros, her arrow notched and the bow taut and ready. Her eyes darted rapidly around finding no sight of the spiders.

Ihwesta had assumed that the silence identified the situation as a trap, but nixed the idea at once. There was no way the spider’s intelligence capacity could muster a trap.

Then the sound of a padded foot, much like that of a cat’s moved, scraping bark from a tree with it’s exposed claws. Perplexed, Ihwesta turned slowly, just in time to see a spider hurl itself from the tree into the midst of their group. The elves scattered before it landed. They had no time to re-bond and were split up. It was that action that signaled for the rest of the spiders to come out of hiding and attack the elves.

It had been a trap. And it had worked. Separated, the spiders could pick them off easily.

Ihwesta knew that she could not win if she fought, and that if she fought, all she’d accomplish was enervating herself. So instead, she took the band of spiders who pursued around in small circles, stepping just out of the way every time their fangs got close. In quick fluid motions she severed spindly legs with her sword, being careful never to expose herself completely or use up too much strength.

Finally she had gotten it to where the spiders chased themselves around the tree, and she slipped out to join the nearest elf. Together they could successfully dispose of the spiders. Their defeat was a two man—er—elf job.

Ceros was nearest and she slipped between the hairy beasts to stand back to back with him, her bow ready since he had imposed his sword. He acknowledged her presence by shouting commands:

“Good Eru! Go for the eyes Ihwestiaelva!!” She pivoted enough to blind the spider nearest Ceros who immediately kicked it over and plunged his broadsword into its belly. Dodging the spray, they reunited to employ the same attack on the next opponent.

“Nasty creatures!” spat the spiders. “They cannot beat Ungoliath’s Spawn!” Ihwesta froze in shock.

"They speak!" she shouted at Ceros.

"Oh good! Let's stop then. Perhaps they'll tell us how to get our friends back and leave unscathed!" He rolled his eyes exasperatedly. "Come on, Ihwesta, MOVE!!" The she-elf loosed a second arrow into the spider with the first voice and waited until it lay still before her third shaft pierced the eyes of yet another monster. The fruitless battle went on until the duo had dispatched of no less than seven spiders.

Then Ihwesta's arrow missed and instead of pulling out a replacement, she watched to see where it went astray. One of the giants took that moment to pounce. Not stopping to think, Ceros stepped between them, driving his broadsword into its belly and sidestepping just in time as the spider fell with an earth-moving thud.

"What are you playing at Ihwesta! MOVE!!!" Feeling very stupid, the tracker concentrated on her arrows and the spider's eyes. Ceros was the leader of their group for a reason, she realized. He was patient, quick thinking, and extremely proficient in battle. He had the agility of a cat that far surpassed her own. Ihwesta's ego deflated considerably as the battle wore out. She had behaved as a child during their trek through the mist and regretted it. Pushing herself harder, she strived to prove herself and regain her brother's friend's approval.

"Ihwesta! Ceros!" The two elves stopped their incessant movement to find the source of the voice. They looked over and saw Arië, and Ainemetion battling the spiders likewise, from the haven of a black oak.

"Where's—"

"No!" Ceros interrupted Ihwesta in elvish. "The spiders will understand us."

"Oh, right." She turned to repeat her question to the other two when the largest spider of the colony appeared behind the oak.

"Arië!" she screamed. Groping for an arrow, she was distraught to find them all spent. "Ceros!" she yelled, palms forward, signaling she was unarmed. This of course was very foolish for the spiders advanced, unafraid now that the archer had no shafts. Ceros glared at the tracker whose self-confidence was descending faster now. Drawing her sword, Ihwesta fought her way through to the giant and stood before it raising her thin cut-and-thrust high in the air above her head.

The spider grinned wickedly and rose up on its hind legs, saliva dripping from its fangs.

"You challenge me little elf?" he asked in perfect Sindarin. Although this took her completely by surprise, she did not falter.

"My name is Ihwestaieleva I-linte-er Lauriëlas and by the swiftness of my sword ye shall find me no mere elf!" Though she felt much less confident than she said, Ihwesta stood fast, glaring into the spider's many eyes.

"We shall see elf!" With that he struck with one of his forelegs knocking Ihwesta clear off her feet. She landed twenty feet away and pain shot through her leg. Cursing, she tried to stand. It wasn't broken but it definitely hurt. Gritting her teeth, she hefted her sword up again she ran to meet the spider.

"Alright ungol!" Summoning all the strength she could, Ihwesta faced the spider. Ready for one of the hardest fights of her life!

OCC: To Be Continued...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:46 PM   #59
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

The webs were worse than Arië's worst nightmares. Worst of all, their friends were trapped by them. Reynion was hurt, and Eruwen and Taurëwen were strung up in the webs, Gilbereth was on the ground, and for a fleeting second, Arië feared that he was dead. Ainemetion had tapped Gilbereth with his foot. "not dead" he muttered. Arië could still see Ainemetion's contempt for him.

"You must not be unkind to him Ainemetion, we are all on the same side now." said Arië reaching for her arrows. She glanced at Reynion who was obviously in pain. "Im no healer, but you look pretty bad, are you sure you can fight." Reynion said nothing but took out his weapons.

The next few seconds passed very quickly. Arië was now cut off from Ihwesta and Ceros, but was left with Ainemetion, and the two were as well cut off from the others. Which made Arië very anxious. There then came a voice out of the woods, "What a pretty little thing we have here... hair of snow, not fit for a whole meal... She has a friend... that makesss usss a meal..."

Arië turned to see a huge spider handing from her left. She was shocked by its sudden arrival that all she could do was stand still. Ainemetion took no time in jumping onto its back and shooting its eyes. Arië then sent a flurry of arrows into the spider's torso.

"Well?" Ainemetion asked, looking slightly pleased with himself. "Get back to the others." she replied, this however was no easy task. There were many many spiders in this thicket, so the only way to get through them before becoming a meal was to kill them. She was surprised at how good a team she and Ainemetion made. She had never fought beside him before.

Still isolated they were surrounded by the trunk of an oak tree. When she was met by the screams of Ihwesta. Who charged at a spider which had surprised them form behind the oak.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-22-2003, 10:20 PM   #60
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Darkness… After a going down, Gilbereth could remember nothing. At first he had the strange sensation of floating, but after a while, even that ceased. When he finally awoke, he did so slowly, and as his vision started coming back he became aware of his surroundings. There were Arie and Animention fighting a large spider off to his left, too his right were Taurëwen and Eruwen both tied with webs. He tried to find the others but in vain.

Slowly he got too his feet and staggered over to where the two she-elves were, pulling a small dagger from his boot he worked to free them, this accomplished he went off to help the others fight. Unsheathing his sword Gil came to where Reynion was fighting, a slight limp showed him that Reyn had been injured. Together they were able to slay several more of the beast, Reyn shooting the eyes out and Gil finishing it off with his sword. Finally exhaustion got the better of Gil and he collapsed.

After a few moments he forced himself to get back up and keep on fighting, Reyn had already gone off to help the others, so Gil was once again alone. One more spider came, but thank Eru it was a small one If this keeps on much longer he told himself None of us will ever make it back. Using the bow Taurëwen had made for him, he was able to blind the beast before it reached him, and he then dispatched of it with several quick thrust of his rapier.

His victory was only short lived however, for Gil saw Taurëwen stand up just as a large spider was coming toward her. Not having time to think, Gil dashed forward and madly slashed at the beast. It snapped at him, and he was able to dodge out of the way, the second time however he wasn’t so lucky. The beast’s jaws closed around his wrist, fire shot through his arm, and when he looked down all his hand was no longer there. Oh dear Eru why?!? he screamed in his mind, but there was nothing he could do now.

Darkness took him a second time, but before he had killed the beast. He could no longer help them.

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 08-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #61
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The elves seemed to be slowly triumphing over the spawn of Ungoliant that had claimed this section of forest for their own. Gilbereth seemed to be holding his own well, and Reyn had to grant the youth credit for his skill with that slender blade of his. It looked as though Gil could handle himself well enough just now, so Reyn joined the group that was fighting one of the large spiders. He was running out of arrows, so he pulled his sword. An anguished cry pulled his attention away from the beast.

Reynion turned and cursed as he saw Gilbereth fall to the ground again, once more unconscious. The spider Gil'd been fighting stepped back a little, and Reyn could see that Gilbereth's right arm now ended at the wrist. Oh, bad, very bad, he thought, even as he threw the dagger he’d managed to retrieve into the joint between the spider’s head and its body. His leg was one long stretch of fire. He ran as best he could over to where Gilbereth lay and tried desperately to staunch the blood flowing from Gil’s severed wrist. Taurëwen stood nearby, but she didn’t seem to see anything.

He shouted her name, still frantically trying to keep Gilbereth from losing so much blood. He tore a strip off of Gil’s shirt, and tied it as tightly as he could around the stump. “Taurëwen!” he shouted again. Mentally, he cursed the ill chance that had split the group. If they had all been fresh, things might have turned out differently. Never mind ‘what if’s,’ he ordered himself. Keep your mind on what you’re doing.

There was no more that he could do for Gilbereth. He was no healer; he knew a few herbs, but that was all. He stood, and limped over to Taurëwen. She was staring blankly, and he knew that the spiders’ poison was still somewhat in effect. She would be like a child for a time, unable to defend herself. He pulled her over to where Gilbereth lay, and gently pushed her to the ground, hoping she would stay there, and took up a defensive stance. Her life was worth more than his anyway.

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 08-23-2003, 01:18 PM   #62
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Gonungol reared up and Ihwesta was granted a complete view of his colossal size. He was easily three times the size of the second largest ungol. Each of his spindly legs measured Ihwesta's height and his hollow fangs appeared to be dripping venom from their bulbs. His backside was bent under him so that his silk glands had a clear shot ahead of him. Gonungol's appearance, the she-elf admitted to herself, was magnificent. Had they been a more innocuous species, she'd have loved to stay and draw them. Her father would have been fascinated.

She was drawn away from her thoughts by his cackling voice.

"Oh yes, my precious morsel, we shall see how your frail blade will do against my own!" Ihwesta snarled, and gripped her sword tightly before her as he continued. "I will cut off your limbs and reattach them again with my silk. Then once you're wrapped up nicely I'll begin to pump your life away, bit—" he moved closer "—by—" and closer "—bit!" The silk shot out at Ihwesta as fast as a lightning crack forked its way across the sky. She dogged it first then sliced at it second, sending the severed threads flying off into the trees.

The chase began, and Gonungol followed with his silk lashing out at the she-elf from all angles.

"You will get tired quickly edhel!" Ihwesta leapt onto the branches of an oak as the silk wound its way after her. "Come down treasured!" She flipped down just as one of the silvery strands groped at the air where she had just been.

She kicked up leaves and dust as she dogged Gonungol's claws as they struck down upon her. Unable to watch both the silk glands and his legs, she tripped over a velvety segment and the bristling hairs launched their barbs into her left leg. She yelled in anguish, dragging her self behind a nearby beech followed by the spider's laughing.

"Alright then treasured? Are we done playing now?" Ihwesta pressed her eyes closed, tears of pain streaming down her cheeks. Her leg pulsated as the barbs sunk deeper, digging away at her flesh. "Come out, come out!" Gonungol guffawed again not bothering to move as he enjoyed his dinner's pain. "I am hungry!" he shouted threateningly. The she-elf shuddered and then gripped her sword again. Gritting her teeth, she pushed herself to a standing position. Gonungol sensed her movement. "Oh good," he chortled, "I was getting impatient."

Ihwesta moved from behind the tree, a rigid figure wracked with pain. She laboriously cut away at the first silk net the spider threw at her and dogged the first, hitting the ground with an excruciating thud. Gonungol roared with laughter as Ihwesta let a sob escape her lips. One of his legs the sunk its claws into her right leg and pulled her forward as she screamed. He stopped when she was right under him, the fangs inches from her face. All it would take was a small jolt of movement from the spider to end her life.

"I told you that you could not win edhel. You should have listened to me. It would have saved you much pain!" As he reared up to provide his treasured the fatal strike, Ihwesta pulled her sword from beneath her and thrust it into his underbelly, rolling from under him just in time. The blood and venom oozed forth from the wound, and Gonungol began to twitch. His legs collapsed from beneath him and he hit the ground, shoving the blade deeper into his body. He roared in agony, squirming as Ihwesta's sword cut through his insides. "Nasty elves!" he shrilled. "A curse on you all! Enemies of the great brood of Ungoliath!" And then he gasped his last and went still.

"Go back to the darkness Gonungol…where thou hast spawned." At the death of their chief, the rest of the spiders retreated into the darkness of the forest, leaving the able-bodied elves to tend their wounded in peace.

So ended the first battle of the elves verses their spider foe.

Ihwesta resisted collapse to make her way over to where the others sat crouched around Gilbereth who was unconscious from blood-loss. Reynion and the temporarily puerile Taurëwen had done what they could to stop the blood flow and wrapped the stump in makeshift bandages. She was then gathered up into the arms of Ceros who supported her.

"We cannot stay here so unprotected," Ceros said, lifting Ihwesta so he carried her like a child, curled up in her painful frailty. "Let us move into the darker trees where there is a clearing. Here we can tend to them while Reynion, and Ainemetion will keep up guard. With a little instruction from Taurëwen, Arië and I will do what we can."

So the Younger led Eruwen and Taurëwen before her, guiding them towards the clearing Ceros mentioned as the other four followed, Gilbereth supported by Reynion and Ainemetion. They had not yet reached the clearing when Ihwesta's consciousness fled her mind.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:02 AM   #63
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

As the darkness slowly lifted Taurëwen found herself lying on the cold damp earth. The vision of the Spider and it huge maw closing on her flashed through her mind. She tried to scream but nothing came out, not even her lips moved. She realised that most of her senses where impaired in some way or other by the spiders poison. "Get up!" she screamed in her mind, that not working she then focused her mind and after some mental struggle she managed unsteadily to raise to her feet. Her vision was just as foggy as her mind and she soon came to realise that hear hearing had been affected too.

Suddenly she saw a huge blurry mass in front of her, her mind raced as she realised how defenseless she was, her heart raced as she resolved that it was likely that she was going to die here, partially paralysed by the spiders poison and unable to defend her friends and their woodland home. As she closed her eyes waiting for death the regret of not telling Reynion how she felt filled her mind.

She slowly forced her eyes to open when the anticipated strike did not come, Through the blurriness she could see that the blurry mass that she had seen before was not moving, but as she blinked trying and clear her vision she saw a smaller blurred figure fall to the ground. "Nooooo!" she screamed in her mind, realising that one of her friends had just fallen and she could do nothing to help them.

Suddenly a numbness took her and her mind fell into delirious mutterings, every so often ceasing enough for her to be aware of what was going on around her. During one of these brief instances she felt strong but gentle arms wrapped around her waist, she sensed someone gently guiding her and sitting her down on the soft damp earth, then the moment was gone and the mutterings returned.

Taurëwen was aware of nothing else until they reached a small forest clearing, the poison was beginning to wear off, once coherent enough she instantly fumbled in her herb satchel for a small green vial that contained something that would lift the fogginess she still felt. She removed the stopper and swallowed a mouthful of the liquid, she started coughing violently as its fiery taste burned in her throat. "Are you alright!" came Arië's concerned voice next to her, "yes, I am fine" she reassured the young elf, "please will you administer this to anyone else who has been affected by poison!" she continued earnestly placing the vial in the she-elf's hands. "I will, but you must come quickly, It is Ihwesta and Gil" Taurëwen saw the pleading in the young elf's eyes and nodding once she followed the young elf to Ceros who was gently laying Ihwesta next to Gil. Taurëwen's usually gentle eyes went wide with horror as she saw the extent of their wounds.

"Can you help them?" Ceros asked her not looking from the injured pair, quickly examining the wounds on both elves she turned back to Ceros and nodded "Yes, I think I can, but I will need help." "Yes anything, just tell me what you need" he answered earnestly, "I need a fire,next to me if possible, boiled water and two volunteers" she urged him gently, he nodded once the set about making the fire.

Taurëwen then turned back to her two patients, The stump where Gil's hand had once been was still bleeding profusely and the temporary dressing that one of the others must have put on was now dark red soaked with the young elf's life blood, just then Eruwen and Arië came up beside her asking how they could help. "Eruwen! take off Gil's dressing and clean his wound, then press the palm of your hand as hard as you can against it to stop the bleeding, then I will sear the end" Eruwen nodded and went to Gil's side. Taurëwen could hear Ceros building the fire next to her as she turned to Arië "Now we will tend to Ihwesta!" she removed her belt knife and gently cut away the material surrounding the wound, she then took one of her water skins and gently washed the wound, she saw Arië's eyes widen at the extent of the damage. "Do not worry, we can fix this. " She reassured the young elf. "Here, press your hand on the wound to stop the flow of blood while I get what I need" gently she pressed Arië's hand on the wound, then rummaged in her pack for the small wooden box that held a fine silver needle. She carefully took it out then pulled a single strand of her strong golden hair from her head and threaded it through the needle.

Turning back she saw that the fire was lit and Ceros was now sat between the two wounded elf's, helping both Arië and Eruwen with their patients. She sat her knife blade in the flames and turned the needle point in the flames for a few seconds, "Ceros, hold the wound closed so I can sew it up," He immediately did as she asked. "Arië! Arië!" she cried to the stunned elf , "I need you to keep the wound clean while I work, can you do that?" Arië nodded solemnly and took the water skin and began cleaning the blood away. Taurëwen worked carefully but relentlessly to stitch up the wounds on Ihwesta's leg, once done Arië helped her to bind the leg. She will need some kind of support, she told the others while she wiped her hands on the skirts of her dress "and she must drink this when she wakes" she continued putting some sage leaves into the water Ceros had boiled.

"Ceros I need you to hold down Gil, I have to sear the stump to stop the bleeding or he will die from the loss!" Ceros did as she asked and held Gil's shoulders. Eruwen her hands heavily soaked in Gil's blood held his legs, realising what Taurëwen meant to do. lifting the now red hot blade from the fire she placed it on Gilbereth's stump searing the end and preventing both the bleeding and any infection. She winced as Gil awoke screaming with the added pain she had inflicted, but it was short lived as he passed out once more, the smell of burnt flesh filled the glade as she made up a yarrow root pulice and applied it to the wound, then with Ceros's help she bound up the stump, telling him to make sure that Gil also drank the sage soaked infusion. "It will numb the pain." she told them softly

Taurëwen then got up and walked, where she did not know or care she just had to get away. She only got as far as the outskirts of the clearing when she fell to her knees, exhausted both physically and mentally. The tears streamed down her face stinging the scratch one of the spiders had given her. "Why is this happening?" she cried staring at her blood soaked hands "I swear that I will not Rest until I see this darkness defeated" she yelled defiantly into the darkness of the trees, then she fell against the nearest tree and let her tears for herself, her friends and the once great wood fall, until her eyes had no more to give.

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 08-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #64
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reynion stood guard, staring off into the darkness of the woods, fervently praying that there would not be another attack this night. He doubted that Ihwesta and Gilbereth could go any further, and he himself was worn out. His leg was aching, but he mentally brushed it off. There were others who were much more grievously wounded than he. It was only a leg wound, after all. Even if it did hurt like the Void. He didn't need Taurëwen's expertise as much as, say, Ihwesta. Now, she needed the aid of the healer, as did Gilbereth. He had lost a hand and her side was torn up. It looked like a piece of meat.

He grimaced. It seemed that he was trying desperately to convince himself of something he should know beyond doubt. It was only a leg wound, for Valar's sake. So why did he feel so anxious about it? Well, maybe the fact that it felt like his leg had been thrust through a forge, then pounded on the anvil. He shook his head and leaned against a tree, not-so-incidentally taking his weight off of the injured leg.

He glanced back at the company. Unaware, his eyes softened when they lit on Taurëwen. He winced in sympathy with Gilbereth when she seared his arm wound. He was very grateful that it was not he who was lying there. When Taurëwen ran to the other side of the clearing, he debated going after her, but putting weight on his leg decided him against it. It simply hurt too much to walk on it.

Well, he would just have to fix that, he supposed. It shouldn't be too hard, wrap it up tight, and put aum on it. That was all it really needed. So he took one of the extra shirts out of his bag and set to work ripping it up. When he reached for his belt knife to start the tear, he realized that he'd left his daggers in the carcasses of the various spiders. Silently calling down imprecations on himself for his stupidity, the spiders for their ancestry, and the daggers for their disloyalty, he started the rip in the fabric with his teeth instead.

He tore the thin black cloth into fairly even strips and rolled up his leggings. The wound looked a little worse than his thoughts had painted it, with swirls of angry color surrounding the gash itself, but it was less severe than either Gil's or Ihwesta's wounds. He put a bit of the herbal paste that he always carried in case of emergency on the red flesh, and wrapped it tightly. The advantage of black bandaging, he mused, was that it wouldn't show blood as easily as, say, white, and would give the others less reason to comment. Especially Taurëwen. He didn't want to worry her.

Perhaps an underlying reason for that was that he didn't want to appear weak to her either. After all, he was supposed to be this big, strong elf, who needed no one. Though, that could be a bad image, if he wanted to win her over…oh, never mind. He thought he'd seen her casting covert glances on Orodhin, Ihwesta's brother, anyway. He was just the recluse who lived alone in the middle of Greenwood. He glanced in her direction again, and tested his leg. The wrapping appeared to help the pain, so he decided to see if there was anything he could do for her.

He glanced at Ainemetion, who was paying very close attention to the direction of the spider lair, and concluded that it was safe enough to leave the watching to the younger elf for a while. He skirted the clearing, and in order to keep from shirking, he scanned the forest around him as he passed through.

For a little while, he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to find Taurëwen, but the sound of soft sobbing soon solved that problem. He slipped through a group of trees, and found her huddled at the base of a giant oak, weeping as if she would water the entire wood. He retreated to the shadow of an overhanging tree, and watched her. This sort of situation was far beyond his experience, and he wouldn't know what to say...

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 08-27-2003, 01:14 AM   #65
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Taurëwen was so calm, and Arië was shaking, she did her best despite the circumstances to help, and the older elf reasured her she was doing fine.

But the harder the elf pushed to stop Ihwesta's bleeding, more blood seemed to run over the young elf's hands. "PLease dont die Ihwesta, youre the closest thing to a sister ive got." she said quietly. Arië closed her eyes, the sight of blood was making her ill.

In the background she could hear the faint words passing between the other elves. Ainemention was ahead of her making sure no spiders came out to visit them again. Ceros was beside her. Arië became more and more reassured that everything was going to be allright. Not that she doubted Taurëwen's word, not at all.

Taurëwen had finally gotten Ihwesta back on trach and had told Arië that her work was done. Arië stood up in time to see Gilbereth in time to watch the surgical work which the older elf had now persued and to see Gilbereth start to scream in pain. Arië nearly screamed herself, but she managed to put a hand to her mouth, she was shaking.

There was nothing she could do to stop him screaming, but stand there in shock and back away slowly until she reached a tree and sunk to the ground, hand still at her mouth, a small amount to sobs audible. She had never seen anything like it in all of her short years.

Arië turned her head away and forced herself to look at something else, she then noticed one of the sleeves of her tunic was missing, obviously torn in a jump from a tree and a small amount to scratches showed. Arië was angry that she had been so luck to escape healthy and whole.

Why cant i stop shaking? Eru! Why is this happening again!she shouted in her mind, but no answer came. Her tears finally subsided, but the feeling of dread and anguish lingered. Keeping her head down she decided to keep watch with Ainemetion.

"Whats wrong over there?" he asked, looking straight ahead. Arië hesitated, "Ihwesta... is going to be ok, Gilbereth... Gilbereth, he lost an arm." Arië's teeth started to chatter from shock.

"Do you think that becuase we are young we are any different?" she asked him.
"No, why do you ask." Ainemetion replied.
"Becuase we are substancially younger than the rest of the company, and look at them, they are taking this so well and me... Well im a mess. I cant keep myself undercontrol for one damn second when they need me most!"

She turned around to face the camp, and the blood soaked ground that kept Ihwesta and Gilbereth.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-27-2003, 05:22 AM   #66
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

When he had finished aiding Taurëwen with Gilbereth and she had gone, Ceros returned to Ihwesta stayed by her side with Arië. Then when Arië left it to see what had happened to Gilbereth he still stayed. Arië was distressed you could see it in her tear filled eyes, although she tried to hide her defiant tears you could still see. Ceros’ eyes drifted upon Ihwesta, her eyes were softly shut as if in a dream. He lifted his hand and carefully stroked her cold cheek. What would he do if he lost her? Although he could not stand thought, she nearly was lost and it was worse than any thought in his mind. Even that of the Wood. He felt he had a not only a duty as a leader to protect her, but as a friend and as a guardian. He had remembered what Orodhin had said to him. It wasn’t some immense lecture that he had given him, just three words: I trust you. And as a friend he did, he had trusted Ceros to watch over Ihwesta, whether her sudden stubbornness allowed it or not, he would watch over her.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered over her frail for that was lain in front of him, now brushing her smooth hair from her face, “I’m sorry….” In truth he was sorry to all of them, he did not know it would be this bad, he had not known what to expect. But it certainly wasn’t this! Sometimes ignorance was bliss. He looked down on to Ihwesta just as her blue eyes flickered open. He smiled and beckoned Arië over. She came over and started to talk to Ihwesta while he administered sage infusion. Ceros decided to leave Arië and Ihwesta to talk , so he rose and retreated to the refuge of Gilbereth.

The two, Arië and Ihwesta, seemed to have made quite a bond between each other and it was comforting to see a friendship spring in such a hostile environment. And he found now he was on a new level of respect for the young Elf. She had now over come battle and many in her situation would have shown dire signs of breakdown. But she appeared strong, stronger than he had anticipated.

And what of the others? Eruwen seemed to still be overcoming the effects of the poison, as she was sat by herself looking starry-eyed over her companions. Ryenion had drawn back into the shadows, and he too looked over the camp, in deep thought. Taurëwen had as well gone into the darkness beyond the clearing. The rest were gathered in the glade, with the wounded.

As he looked on the stump that once was Gilbereth’s hand he became frustrated with himself, firmly believing he could have done better to protect his companions. When in reality he had done his best even if he did not realise it..

“Ceros?” He looked up, it was Arië, “Ihwesta is awake, and she says she is feeling better than she was earlier.” Ceros nodded in thanks, “has he gone back into an unconscious state?” she queried.

“Yes, I think it was the pain,” Arië nodded and took over the guard of Gilbereth while Ceros came to Ihwesta’s side.

“Why are you sorry?” she questioned in a soft voice.

“Don’t worry Ihwestaieleva , you have to rest now….” he replied.

“And when do we move out?”

"We will stay here…”

“But we cannot stay her!” her voice rasped, she sat up, but feeling the pain she lay down again. “It is too dangerous!"

"I know that, but what can I do?!" he hissed, "Would you have me leave you here? You are in no state for fighting!" Ihwesta looked away in frustration, and Ceros hung his head for being so short. "We will stay here for the night."
Old 08-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #67
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Huddled beneath the great oak Taurëwen forced herself to get up, she would not let the others find her hiding like a small frightened elfling. Raising to her feet she reached for her sword, meaning to relieve her tension and frustrations by swinging her sword as Talas had once taught her, while she carried the sword that he had lovingly made for her, she felt not alone for her brothers love was moulded into the elven weapon and she also believed that his strength and courage too were embodied in it's blade, but as she gripped the air were the hilt should have been she remembered that she had dropped it when she had became entangled in her silken prison.

Looking down at her blood stained remnant and her sword less belt she suddenly felt as defenceless as a young Elfling. With sword and bow she protected her home! but now without either what use would she be, "No! I will not have them putting themselves in danger because they feel they have to protect the defenceless healer!" she told the growing darkness. Using the water from a skin that hung from her belt she washed her hands and face, then pulling back her golden hair she tied it into a single long tight braid, which she let sit on her shoulder.

Her mind now set she drew her long knife and silently stole herself away into the night. Swiftly but cautiously she flitted between the trees making her way back to the spiders lair, unaware that another followed her from a distance. As she drew nearer the clearing of there previous battle she stopped and stretched out her elven senses, she could not hear or see anything amiss, the lair was either abandoned or her companions had slain the whole brood, she hoped the latter was true. The smell of decaying spider carcasses caused her to wrinkle her nose in disgust. 'I must be quick' she thought to herself.

Cautiously she stepped out into the lair, her knife held tightly in her right hand. The Moonlight streamed through a gap in the canopy, filling the lair with a soft eerie glow. In the soft light she found her bow, She sighed heavily as she found that it had been snapped in two, without thinking why, she slipped the two halves into her belt. Then lifting her head she scouted about for her sword, a short distance away she saw something glinting in the moonlight next to the corpse of the dead spider that had almost made her it's supper. She hurried over to find that it was the basket hilt of Gilbereth's slender rapier, she sheathed her knife and with both hands she dislodged the fine blade from the corpse, "Gil, may yet have need of you" she whispered cleaning the blade on the grass and slipping it into her belt along side her damaged bow.

Crouching to the ground she followed the clear tracks hoping they would lead to her to were her sword was lost, "No!" she gasped as she realised that it had been Gilbereth that had cut them down, he had lost his hand protecting them, she thought regretfully. The trail did eventually lead her to her sword and the web that had ensnared her. Her soft green eyes blazed with anger and wrapping her hand tightly about the hilt of her sword she cried *"Gurth gothrim Tel'laiqataure!" the runes on the blade seemed to glow with a faint blue light as she slashed and cut down the webs that defiled a once beautiful glade.

Once they were all cut down, she lowered her sword, Breathing heavily she slumped her shoulders. As she regained her regular breathing she heard a twig snap behind her. Swiftly she raised her sword and spun around to met her assailant, *"Uuma ma'ten' rashwe, Re'naa ren'elle" she sneered. But her eyes widened in disbelief as her sword stopped inches from Reynion's chest.

"You should not be here! especially not on your own" His voice was even and unfaltering as he looked down at the blade at his chest. Sighing she lowered her blade, 'he has come to scold me for not heeding my own words' she thought sadly. 'But he had not stopped me,' she concluded, a Mischievous grin pulling at her pale lips "But I am not alone my friend, you are here, are you not!" She said raising a questioning eyebrow. She could see him trying to suppressed a smile as he struggled to find an answer to reiterate the seriousness of her actions. "We should go!" he said after a moments pause, "Do you have what you came for" he asked hesitantly. "Yes, and I think Gil will be glad for this!" she smiled patting the caged handle if the rapier. "Maybe" he sighed turning to lead her back to the others.

As they left Taurëwen's foot brushed something else, she stepped back and using her sword she gently brushed aside dirt and leaves to reveal a small throwing knife, she bent down and picking it up she realise it was one of Reynion's, she glanced up to see if he had noticed that she stopped, "what is it" he asked seeing her crouched on the ground, "Oh! nothing" she assured him palming the knife and slipping it into the back of her belt when he wasn't looking. She was grateful that he looked out for her and she hoped that the little gesture she had in mind would please him.

As they walked back to the glade together, Taurëwen wondered just how long Reynion had been watching her, had he seen her weeping? her cheeks flushed at the thought, and had he heard her strong promises. She turned and looked at him, his dark hair bounced about his shoulders as he walked and his grey eyes ever watchful flicked with the light of wisdom, she completely forgot her worries as she watched him confidently lead her back to the relative safety of the glade.

As they returned Taurëwen was pleased to see that both Ihwesta and Gilbereth were now awake, she instinctively rushed forwards to see how they felt, but stopped and looked back as she realised that Reynion did not follow. She turned just in time to see him slip back into the darkness of the trees. She sighed softly then turned back to see how her patients were feeling.

Ceros was with Ihwesta, so she went to see how Gil was faring. "He has just woken," Arië smiled, lifting the sage infusion she knelt down beside him, "Here drink this, it will numb the pain" she assured him as she helped him to sit up and pressed the cup to his lips. "So, it was not a dream" he sighed looking down to were his hand had once been. "I know what you did and I thank you, I am only sorry that the cost was so dear" she whispered lowering her head, the guilt was such that she could not bring herself to look him in the eyes.

--------------------------------------------

*Gurth gothrim Tel'laiqataure! - Death to the foes of the Greenwood!

*Uuma ma'ten'rashwe, re'naa ren'elle! -Don't look for trouble, she is before you!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #68
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Ceros’ eyes rose from the face of Ihwesta at the sound of talking. Taurëwen had returned and was now tending to Gilbereth with Arië. He overheard her soft whisper to Gilbereth "I know what you did and I thank you, I am only sorry that the cost was so dear". She knew then of what Gilbereth had done to save her, sacrificed himself to cut his companions down from their confinement. Taurëwen now came over to Ihwesta.

“You are awake too….” she said faintly giving Ihwesta a little more sage infusion. “And how are you feeling?”

“Better…” she replied barely. Taurëwen nodded.

“You will feel the pain from your leg for a few days, but with time it will heal.” Ihwesta acknowledged her and then closed her eyes again. Ceros sighed, and got up from the ground where he had been seated.

“We are to stay here for the remainder of the night,” he told the others, “it is better for them, we will move out a soon as the sun rises. But for now take rest.” The others agreed, but all of them stayed in their own space for the night. To reflect on the days events. Ceros, as usual chose a place where he had a view of all of them, even Reynion as he hid beneath the shelter of a dark tree. The other were gathered in the clearing, scattered with Taurëwen nursing the wounded. Ceros admired her too, she put the others before herself even tough the poison from the spiders still flowed through her veins.

Her sword at her side glimmering in the fire light. It was from Talas, he remembered her reminiscing about it before he went missing. Ha, missing! Ceros dreaded to think of the fate of his friend and fellow guard. Was he overwhelmed by spiders or was there something even darker inhabiting Greenwood? And now the sword was the only…..her sword! She did not have that when we left the spiders nest. But she couldn‘t have gone back! No, surely not….

Ceros slowly rose from the spot where he sat and went to Taurëwen’s side. She was cleaning Ihwesta’s wound when she turned round.

“Ceros, she has fallen asleep again”, she said briefly looking at him and then back down at Ihwesta.

“Why?” he asked sternly. She ascended slowly, the rag she was cleaning Ihwesta’s wound with hung loosely in her hand.

“Why what?” she asked in a defensive voice.

“Why did you go back?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” she said quickly and she walked past him. But he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

“Back, back to the spiders nest?” She looked taken aback as if she was going to fight him but then dropped her head.

“How did you know?” she said hoarsely looking up into his eyes.

“Your sword, the one Talas wrought for you. You did not have it when we first got her, nor when I helped you tend to Ihwesta and Gilbereth”

“I went back for it, I could not just discard it!” she replied defiantly.

“I understand, by why, why did you go alone?”

“I..” she started, but then stopped.

“I am not angry with you,” he said softly, “I just don’t want to loose another friend on my part. I am your leader and should watch over all of you. And no matter how much you wanted it back, was it worth risking your life? Next time, Taurëwen take some one with you!”
Old 08-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #69
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The pain was relentless and it tugged at her nerves throughout the night. The sage concoction helped, true, but Ihwesta felt the few drops of Gonungol's blood course through her anyhow. Sleep came, but it was plagued with dreams: horrors of the ungol infestation. She would awake feverish and afraid, eyes wide with terror before being calmed by whoever stayed beside her. In her dazed delirium she could not tell whether it be Arië, Ceros, or Taurëwen. Twice her leg-wound seared as the healer-elf cleansed and re-bandaged the external lesion.

"Will it stop?" she asked once as slender fingers wrapped gauze tightly around her thigh. Her voice sounded rigid and every word had to be said clearly and deliberately to be understood.

"In time Ihwesta. You must sleep." Then she would drift off again, her body wracked with agony.

------------------------------------

"She's been asleep longer even than Gil," said a man's voice. It sounded like her brother! Orodhin!

"I think she might have infused with Gonungol's blood." The two elves were not far, but their voices were hushed.

"Does being the Chief make his blood more fatal?"

"I don't know." Why couldn't she move? Was someone holding her down?

"When will she wake?" I am awake Orodhin! Here!

The female elf sighed jadedly, "I don't know." Orodhin…

-----------------------------------

When Ihwesta finally roused with renewed strength, the sun had set twice and the others were faring well. Her eyes flickered open to stare at the canopy's underside where sunlight streamed through. Her lips seemed to be stuck together from disuse and when she did open her mouth it felt dry and sore.

"Ihwesta!" Ceros dropped to her side, holding fast to her hand. "You're awake." Ihwesta remained expressionless as her memory and voice returned. Meanwhile, Taurëwen was summoned and others gathered around. She couldn't distinguish their faces just yet but there they were anyhow.

"Drink this," commanded Taurëwen. She obeyed and a honey-sweet concoction streamed down her throat. As it began to be distributed throughout her body, the tenseness from neglect of her muscles began to lift and her lifeblood surged more rapidly. I can stand, she thought swiftly, and made to move.

"Oh n-o," said Taurëwen pushing her down again. "That usually has that side-affect of sudden certainty of one's renewed strength. You must be awake first for an hour or so. Then you can stand." Ihwesta's memory, voice, and mind had returned more quickly and even Taurëwen seemed surprised when she fought back.

"You certainly are a fine healer, Taurëwen, but this is no infirmary, and I may move when I please." The tracker would not have attempted to get up if she knew she was unable, but some inner, forgotten strength seemed to reach out and support her as she stood. The others blinked.

Ihwesta looked around the camp for her things. "Where's my sword?" she asked. Even as she said it, it dawned on her where the blade was: buried in the carcass of Gonungol. Feeble despair shown in her eyes as she looked towards Ceros. "I have no sword. What will I do?" She did not see her pack and belt-pouches either. They must have dropped somewhere. Perhaps they could still be salvaged should she dare to go back and find them.

"Ha! I see that little nap of yours didn't cost you any of your stubbornness!" said a light-hearted voice coming from behind. "One thinks you would have learned your lesson!" Ihwesta turned to see Arië appear, two hares slung over her shoulder.

"Arië!" Ihwesta beamed as the younger embraced her friend tenderly.

"You don't know how good it is to see you up," Arië said breaking away. "Well come on, I'll cook these up and we'll eat." Ceros especially seemed to be thankful Ihwesta's thought was drawn away from her missing possessions. No one was too keen about explaining to her that going back to find them would be extremely dangerous.

After the rabbits were spitted, cooked, and eaten, Ihwesta turned sort of blunt like to Ceros and said, "My sword, by now, is most likely to be disintegrated in Gonungol's body and Eru knows where my bow and arrows are. So right now, I'm completely unarmed. If I had my way I'd go back and get them right now." Ceros smiled contentedly and nodded, placing a hand on Ihwesta's arm.

"I'm glad you've come to see reason Ihwesta. I didn't know how I was going to convince you not to go looking for them." The tracker, however, laughed and stood.

"Aye, that's why I've saved you the trouble!" she said, throwing her hands in the air with a mysterious twinkle in her eyes. "The way I see it, if I can run faster than you, I can go back without you having to say a word!" Ceros's face quickly changed from a pleased expression to one of shock then irritation. But by the time he was on his feet, Ihwesta had shot off into the darkness, swiping Taurëwen's sword as she moved.

"Ihwestaieleva!" he shouted after her. Then he too shot after her into the forest. The rest of the elves moved to follow but Ceros, in his unbelievable fury, yelled for them to stay put.

In no more than twenty minutes, the duo reappeared. Ceros's face was a deep shade of red as he pushed Ihwesta before him, shouting things at her in an elvish rage. The tracker looked harassed as she stumbled forward obviously disappointed he had caught her. However, they were all surprised to see her right hand on the belt holding her pouches, and her left resting on her sword.

"How did you get it back?" Arië asked, interrupting Ceros's admonitions.

"Never you mind," Ihwesta said. "Right now I've got to help Ceros get a hold on himself." That comment launched their leader into a whole other chain of scolding that lasted until they were ready to move on again towards the southern parts of the forest like planned, and to everyone's great thankfulness, they hadn't lost a soul.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:26 PM   #70
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

After killing the spider Gilbereth remembered nothing. Darkness filled his mind, and he wandered paths best untold. When he finally awakened it was because of the searing pain in his left hand No he told himself Where his let hand used to be, it was all coming back to him now. After a few moments he passed out again, and remained that way for several more hours. When he opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was Arie standing over him “You’ve been unconscious for some time” she said to him in a quiet voice “How are you feeling now?” He winced as the pain coursed through his arm, but he set his jaw, put on a calm face and replied “ Much better now, thank-you. I hope I haven’t been too much trouble”

Just then Taurëwen ran up “Ah, you’re finally awake!” she said as she kneeled next to him “hear, drink this, it will dull the pain” Whatever she had given him tasted horrible, but as she promised, it did dull the pain considerably. “Thank-you for all you’ve done for me” he managed to say after choking down the liquid. Then Taurëwen ’s face light up as she said, “Here, I’ve got something else for you.” and she handed him his rapier “ah, thank-you!” he said with delight “I didn’t think I would ever see this again”. Then he noticed the broken bow shoved into her belt and his face grew dark “looks like you weren’t so lucky with your weapons. But here, take mine, I won’t be able to use it anymore”. He looked sadly at the stump that once was his hand “ There are a lot of things I won’t be able to do anymore” but then he broke into a smile “ I guess I won’t be as handy as I used to be, or as handsome”. At this Taurëwen couldn’t help but smile “Well, now that I’m sure you’re alright, I think I’ll go check on Ihwesta” she took the bow from Gil, and then left him to himself.

After a little while he fell asleep again, waking only briefly to eat something before lapsing again into darkness. On the morning of the second day He felt much rested, and even walked around “ you shouldn’t be doing that” admonished the others “ you’re still not well” “Oh bloody hell!’ he laughed “it bit off my hand, not my legs. I think I’ll be fine”

After eating, he decided to go for a walk in the woods around the camp. While he was walking, he noticed the buckler at his side Well, this won’t do me much good anymore he thought, and was about to throw it away, when he thought better of at Perhaps it will serve some good yet he decided. Then he noticed a strange sensation in his arm, it started at his wrist, and slowly worked its way up. Come think of it, he had noticed it earlier Oh well, it’s nothing he told himself, and put the matter aside.

When he returned to camp, it was getting dark “we’ll be leaving tomorrow morning” Ceros told the group “ so we’d all better get some rest” This sounded like a good idea to Gil, so he retired early, and slept soundly until the morn. That night he dreamed about Celesta, a girl he had known at court. They had spent many hours together, walking in the woods, or sitting by the fireside talking. It was commonly said that some day the two of them would be married, but then the shadow had come and hers was one of the all-to-many families that had moved to a safer place. They would probably never see each other again.

They started out early the next morning, the fog still stuck close to the ground, and everywhere you could smell the damp leaves. It was still hard for Gil to get used to having only one hand, and he had some difficulty packing that morning. When he had finally finished, which had taken a very long time, he had even more trouble getting the pack on his back. Finally they were finished making their preparations, nd they set out into the dawn.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:47 AM   #71
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Arië seemed to have a new breath of determination breathed into her when Ihwesta had recovered. She had first experenced a responsibility to the group, when it looked bad for Ihwesta. And she had to face the prospect of tracking their way all on her own. As one of the healthy few, Arië had done her fair share of nursing.

Arië felt like she had a weight lifted from her stomach when Ihwesta was given the ok by Taurëwen. Though Arië made sure that she did nothing but lie around as she did the hunting, watching and tracking all by herself. Yes, for once in her life, The younger felt like she was doing something significant.

Gilbereth took longer to wake up, and The younger didn't blame him. Id be the same way too if i had lost a hand...she thought. There seemed a change in Gilbereth, he did not seem so.. well.. vain, and she kept out a special eye just incase he may injure himself. That would be terrible she supposed, and liked to think that any of the others would do the same if it were her.

Ainemention still kept watch for long periods of time, and he looked quite content in doing so. Arië took no sleep either that night, but kept watch on the outher side of the thicket, taking time to braid her hair several times over. Dawn came and Arië collected breakfast and waited for the word of their leader Ceros, whom Arië took more admiration for everyday.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 AM   #72
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

"Never you mind," Ihwesta said. "Right now I've got to help Ceros get a hold on himself." Now he began to rebuke Ihwesta again, he was particularly angry. After all that happened not only one, but two of his companions had defied order to stay where they were and not leave to go back to the spiders nest. He was only angry because he cared, but it seemed to come across in a more irate mood than he would have liked to pick. But soon Ihwesta had calmed him down an she had duly apologised to him.

“Let us gather our things!” he called out over the camp, “I do not whish to stay here any longer!”

So the others gather their thing and Ihwesta lead the way, but with Ceros by her side now. Arië stayed to the rear of the group as a skilled tracker was needed to keep and eyes out and the others gathered in the middle. They walked silently through the think forest. They had strayed from any recognisable path if there indeed was one present this deep in the forest. This land was not trodden by their race, nor any other race that they had dealings with regularly. It was dark and the trees choked nearly all the light from above.

Vines and weed squeezed and suffocated the trees and odd hacking marks and slashes one the trees often met their eyes. What is doing this? It cannot be just the spiders, that is too obvious, they are too feeble and too few to cover the whole forest. What is it? He sighed, it was no use trying to think about this now, they had to get to a safe camp and soon.

A few hours passed, they all walked and rarely stopped except to examine more trees. The sun must have been at its highest peak because it was getting lighter in the forest, even if the trees tried to block her light out it still seeped through. The shafts of light made the forest look unnatural, dust hung suspended in the light and it was quiet. It was always quiet.

“I hear running water,” Ihwesta said suddenly, looking back at Ceros.

“I hear it too, there must be a river near.” It sound fast, very fast. The sound wasn’t that of a calm stream or brook that leisurely wound through their realm. No. This river was brash and dangerous. No good would come of them crossing it, but they had no other choice. As they neared it they could see how hard it would be. The river was easily twice the width of the one flowing in their realm. A good 30 feet across, and it looked deep, very deep. His fellow travellers gathered round and stared into the deeps of the rampant river.

“How are we going to cross this?” said Arië exasperatedly. Ceros shook his head, the situation certainly couldn’t get any worse.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 08-30-2003, 02:07 AM   #73
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Arië had clearly spoken before she had thought. She was a smart elf. A river, a fast running river... how do we get across, now think.she said to herself while pacing with her hands on her hips. She looked up at a nearby tree then back at the others. "Rope" she exclaimed with a hopeful laugh, and looked at the other to see if any of them had thought the same thing.

Their blank faces staring back had told her they hadnt. In an excited glance at the thers Arië scrambled over to Ainemention and took a piece of rope from his bag. Not noticing the agrivated look on his face the young elf cried "You see!" she said Turning to the others. "See what!" exclaimed Ainemention. "The rope, Taurëwen and Ainemention both have some! We can use them to get across the river, I will shoot them with my bow, into a strong tree with thick bark of course so i dont fall into the river and simply run across!"

Arië had smiled at the thought of just how clever she had been. "Good work Arië!" Ceros cried approvingly from beside Ihwesta. Arië beamed and automatically retrieved her bow from the ground and fitted an arrow to the string. "Why do you get to ge across Younger?" Ihwesta grinned at her.

"Because, im the smallest and lightest." Arië smugly replied to her friend and fired the arrow. It landed with perfect precision (for once) in the middle of the tree she had been aiming for. She bent to make sure it would hold her and carefully stepped from the shore. So far so good. she said to herself as she inched closer and closer to one quarter way of the 'bridge'. In no time she reached three quarter way and the bridge shook, unforseen by Arië who would have been sent into the water if she had not realised in the time she did. Then swiftly made her way across to the other side.

With a sigh of relief the young elf glanced at the company on the other side of the river. She waved at them before hastily reaching the arrow in the tree. She untied it form the arrow and made sure the rope was secure around the tree before beckoning for the others to join her.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #74
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen watched carefully as an arrow was shot into a tree on the other side of the river. She had well overcome the poison of the spiders, but she didn’t feel like talking or making herself known to the others in the group. She continued to gaze out into the rapid waters as Arië made it across the river, as did many others afterwards. Eventually Eruwen was told to go, and she began to make her way to the so-called “bridge” that she would cross.

As Eruwen placed one foot onto the bridge, she once again looked down into the water. Taking a deep breath, she stepped up with the other foot and began to run across as fast, and as carefully, as she could. Every step that the Elf took made her think back on the fear she had when the spiders had captured her and the few members of the company. Suddenly her own words came back into her mind again.

“If we stay here, then whatever’s out there will eventually find us and attack us without warning. But if we go, then there is the risk of everyone getting lost and maybe even dead. So either way, we’re done for.”

The “getting lost” part had already somewhat taken place, except they were all found again. The last part of her words was what was making her fearful again. Soon Eruwen stepped off the bridge and onto the ground once again. She found herself a place by a nearby tree and sat down with her arms propped up upon her knees and her face buried in her hands.

Why did I have to say that? She thought to herself. Not only did I bring myself down but also probably others in the company as well. And although it is me who is dwelling on this statement, how do I know that no one else has thought about it also? I just hope that I’m not right anymore. Getting lost for that brief time was bad enough, but losing someone for good would be horrible! Oh, Eru, just don’t let my foolish words come true!

Eruwen stood once again to join the members of her company as they each crossed the river. She stood silent towards the back waiting for another command.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #75
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ihwesta watched skeptically as Arië shot the rope to the other side of the river and walked warily across, not twelve inches above the water. She adjusted the rope so that it was taught and more secure for the others to follow. Eruwen fastened her pack and bow so that they wouldn't swing and throw her off balance as she went over. There didn't seem to be a problem with any of it but the tracker was still a bit nervous.

"Alright Gil, you next," said Taruewen. The noble elf looked nervously at the bridge and shook his head.

"No, uh, no thanks, I'll go last if it's all the same to you." He smiled shakily.

"Fine with me!" Ainemetion said gruffly. He went next, followed by Taurëwen.

"Reynion, will you carry my things over for me?" Ihwesta asked quietly. "It'll be a bit dificult to balance them myself."

"Sure." He hung her pack around his neck, and draped her belt over his shoulder. Then he crossed.

Ceros stayed behind to help Ihwesta. "Ready?" asked Ceros. The tracker nodded. Then, with Ceros walking before her, and Gil coming up behind, she started across the river.

It rushed menacingly beneath her, roaring lustily as though it waited for her to fall into its depths. The sound was bewitching and the fear bottled up inside her as she went slowly across. Her eyes were glued to her feet, spotting so that they stayed on the rope. The water splashed up, dampening her and the rope she walked on. She looked into the water, hoping to see a reassuring reflection, but the white foam that curled on the surface before being sucked beneath by the current.

They were nearly half way across when the tree came.

Spiraling out of control and being tossed in the water it shot from behind the bend towards the trio who crossed the makeshift bridge. All heads shot in the direction of the coming danger too late. The colossal wood hit the rope with such an impact that it snapped them forward and the three elves were thrown into the rushing water. Ihwesta went under fast, the river trying to push her down. She finally got her head above water.

"Ceros!" she screamed, taking in a mouthful of water

"Don't yell Ihwesta, I'm right here." Ihwesta felt, Ceros's left arm encircle her waist, helping to keep her above the water as it tried to drag them downstream, his right hand holding onto the rope suspended still above them.

"Gilbereth!" he yelled long and loud. "Gilbereth!" There was no audible answer over the thunder of the river. Ihwesta tried to relax, taking in deep breaths of fresh air as she fought to keep her head above the water. Then she saw Gilbereth. He had popped up ten yards behind them before being carried away again by the current out of sight.

Reynion had made his way across the rope again and began to help Ceros and Ihwesta up. They were both relatively unharmed and taken to the others.

"Alright," Ceros began, "we've got to get to Gilbereth."

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 08-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #76
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Question

They had been walking for some time when Ceros told them to halt. "Running water, do you hear it?" he asked,
they all had. It sounded like a river, a swift one at that, not one of the small ones they had near their homes.
They continued on a little farther, when suddenly the trees stopped at the edge of the river. It was as they all had expected, large, and swiftly flowing. "Now how in Eru’s name are we going to cross that?" Gilbereth wondered
out loud, but before any one could answer Arie was readying her bow and quiver. " Someone, give me your rope" she said hurriedly. After she had gotten about 50 yards of it she tied one end to an arrow, and had shot the arrow
into a tree on the other side of the river.

After quickly running to the other side, and securing the rope, Arie motioned for the others to come across.
Eruwen fastened her pack and bow so that they wouldn't swing and throw her off balance as she went over.
Alright Gil, you next," said Taruewen. The noble elf looked nervously at the bridge and shook his head.
"No, uh, no thanks, I'll go last if it's all the same to you." He smiled shakily. Ever since he was a child Gil had
never been fond of doing this kind of thing, so he wanted to put it off as long as he could. "Fine with me!" Ainemetion said gruffly. He went next, followed by Taurëwen. Next Reynion crossed with Ihwesta’s belongings.
Ceros stayed behind to help Ihwesta. "Ready?" asked Ceros. The tracker nodded. Then, with Ceros walking
before her, they started across the river. “Well, I can’t put this off much longer” Gil whispered to himself, so he
took a deep breath and started across the bridge.

Everything seemed to be going well This isn’t too bad Gil thought to himself, although it was a bit hard to keep
his balance he managed. They were nearly half way across when the tree came.
Spiraling out of control and being tossed in the water it shot from behind the bend towards the trio who crossed
the makeshift bridge. All heads shot in the direction of the coming danger too late. The colossal wood hit the
rope with such an impact that it snapped them forward and the three elves were thrown into the rushing water.

Gilbereth sank like a stone This is it, I’m going to die were the first thoughts that rushed through his mind, but
then something deep inside of him awakened No! I’m not going to die, not like this, not yet! Then using all of his
strength he struggled to the surface. Once he had reached the surface Gil saw that he was about 30 feet
downstream of the others. He tried to swim to them, but even with two hands it would have been hard enough
but with only one, it was impossible. So he relaxed, concentrated on staying above water, and went downstream
with the current. “ I will find them, I will not be separated again!” he silently swore.

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 08-30-2003, 12:23 PM   #77
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Reynion cursed as he saw the last three elves to cross fall into the river, knocked off of the swaying rope by a tree. Ceros and Ihwesta managed to grab the rope and with the help of the others crawl back onto the shore. Gilbereth was not so fortunate. His arms flailing, he plunged beneath the surface of the foaming water. Reyn cursed again, and watched for him to come up. He floundered to the surface, but by then he was almost thirty feet downstream. He tried to swim back up, but with only one hand, it was impossible. So Reyn did the only thing he could think of to do. He dove in after the younger elf.

The first thing his mind registered was that the water was icy cold; the second that this had probably not been the smartest thing to do and it was very likely that he wouldn't survive. He thrashed his way to the surface, and looked for Gilbereth's blond head. He didn't see it, and barely had time to gasp a breath before being plunged under the surface again. When next he came up, he could neither see Gilbereth, nor could he see the other elves. He struck out towards the shore, obliquely so that he wouldn't have to fight the current so much. His leg protested at this hard use, so soon after it was wounded, but he had no choice except to ignore the pain. He still looked downstream, hoping to see Gilbereth bobbing along, but it didn't happen.

The current sped up, and Reyn gave up trying to locate the other elf and instead focused on getting to shore so that his aching muscles could rest. He kicked harder and pulled faster. He didn't know how much more of this frigid water he could take. Besides, there was always the possibility that another tree would come crashing down the channel. The thought was not reassuring, and it was with a sigh of relief that Reyn found hard ground under his hands.

He crawled out and looked around, shivering. If the water was cold, the temperature under the trees while soaking wet was positively glacial. He didn't see anyone else. He was alone for the second time this journey. With one backward glance in the direction Gilbereth had disappeared, he started to slowly make his way back to the others. He wouldn't do anyone any good if he froze to .

He rubbed his hands together and along his legs, trying to evoke at least a semblance of warmth. The act made him think of Gilbereth, who was likely as cold as he. The younger elf still annoyed him, but this was not a predicament he would wish on his worst enemy--well, he wouldn't mind if a few orcs were freezing after a dunking in a frigid river, but other than that...it wouldn't have surprised him in the least if icicles began to grow on the tips of his hair, which now hung in limp strings around his face.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 08-31-2003, 08:03 PM   #78
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Taurëwen had watched in horror as the drifting tree sent her friends tumbling into the freezing cold water. "No!" she gasped, she sighed with relief as she saw Ceros's hand grasping the rope and as Reynion helped him up she saw that he held Ihwesta.

"Where is Gilbereth?" she asked wrapping each of them in the warm blankets of her bed roll, Ihwesta shook her head sadly as she pressed a clear phial to their lips, the Miruvor within the phial warmed their insides, chasing away the bitter cold. "Alright," Ceros began as the warmth returned too his frozen body, "we've got to get to Gilbereth."

"Rey can you see him?" Taurewen asked turning to were he had been standing. "Nooooo!" she screamed too late, Reynion plunged into the icy waters, she made to run after him but was held back by Ainemetion. "Why!" she whispered to the foaming waters. "We will find them," Ceros tried to reassure her. She slowly turned to him and nodded.

"Then let us go!" he said casting off the blanket and handing it back to her, she did not roll it but stuffed it into her pack and the six of them began their trek along the river, Ihwesta infront and Arië to the rear. But Taurëwen eye's ever scanned the river bank for signs that either elf had emerged from the river. "Oh Eru please let them be safe" she sighed as again they found nothing.

*snap* Taurëwen wheeled round hoping to see Rey or Gilbereth, but instead she saw the others with weapons drawn, both Arië and Ihwesta were taking hastily to Ceros, "What is it?" she asked returning from her unsuccessful search of the bank.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 PM   #79
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

She had just finished strapping her things back on when he moved to jump. Ihwesta dove at the same time Reynion did. Her hands reached for any part of him she could grab but he lunged into the water seconds before she was able.

"Nooooo!" screamed Taurëwen. She made to run after him but was held back by Ainemetion. "Why!" she whispered to the foaming waters.

"We'll find him!" Ceros reassured her. "We'll find him!" Ihwesta stood, brushing off the leaves, grass and dirt that clung to her wet clothes.

"Let's go!" she called back. Leading them on, her eyes watched both the river for any signs of Reynion or Gilbereth and the woods for enemies. She had decided long before they crossed the river that there were undoubtedly more evil things lurking as they journeyed southwards.

"Any sign?" asked Ainemetion, running up beside her. She shook her head. Then came a sound from the shadowed forest. The two drew their knives, calling a halt for the six elves who were left.

"I saw it!" Ihwesta told Ainemetion nervously. She wasn't sure exactly what it was but something was definitely there. "Ceros. There's something out there. It's not making a move to attack it's just sitting and waiting. It wants us to go farther."

"What do we do?" asked Arië who had come up and heard the tracker's words.

"Go farther," said Ihwesta deprecatingly. "We've got to find Reynion. And Gilbereth. Besides, we'll most likely have to face it sooner." They nodded and moved on, keeping a wary eye on the trees as they went.

"How far do you think they've gone?" Ihwesta asked Ceros. He shrugged.

"They could go on forever. There's not much that will stop them."

"No rocks? Roots?"

"We're looking for two elves here Ihwesta who probably aren't very accomplished swimmers not to mention one is less a hand." The tracker slumped her shoulders slightly. This could take days! They didn't have time to waste!!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:43 PM   #80
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

"We're looking for two elves here Ihwesta who probably aren't very accomplished swimmers not to mention one is less a hand." Ceros explained exasperatedly to the tracker and the others. This wasn’t looking good and why on earth did Reyn jump in? To save Gilbereth yes; but to condemn himself also to death? He must have acted before thinking the situation through. That was the only reasonable explanation. The Elves ran down the bank of the river, their eyes searching hoping to catch a glimpse of their companions, but to no avail.

“Reyn!” cried Taurëwen, who was looking ahead up the river. The others turned as she rushed to him, wrapping a warm blanket around his frozen body. He shivered as a soft breeze rustled past the trees; he stared into the trees for a moment then looked to the others.

“There is something there,” he whispered hoarsely to them.

“We know,” replied Ihwesta, her eyes shifted nervously towards the trees and then back to Reyn.

“Gilbereth?” asked Ceros anxiously, coming face to face with Reyn. He shook his head, and Ceros’ heart fell. How could this be? Certainly not another companion lost, he would find Gil…..alive.

“The current was too strong, he was washed away and I couldn’t reach him,” he shook his head again and hung it, “It didn’t look too good.”

“Well we can not give up.......” whispered Eruwen from behind Ceros.

“Nobody was suggesting that, but we will keep looking,” ordered Ceros, “Reyn can you continue?” He nodded and so they went ahead. Ceros and Ihwesta fell behind the others.

“Ceros we cannot go on looking for him! No matter how much I want to look, we just cannot,” she sighed, “something is drawing closer to us, or we to them and we cannot risk looking for him. We have to….”

“We have to continue,” He finished, “ I agree and hope the rest will too.”

“Ceros!” came a voice from up ahead, “the bank ends here, there is no where else to go!” It was Arië. She stared flatly at the end of the bank that now went into the rushing water. There was nowhere else for them to go, the water rushed passed. It was too dangerous for them to go in, they would risk being carried away like Gilbereth. Ceros stood beside Arië on the edge. The roots of the trees fell into the water and there was nowhere to climb.

“We can not go on any longer, we must..” Ceros faltered as he looked to the others.

“No…” gasped Arië.

“I am sorry, if he makes it he will catch up,” he lowered his voice, “But there is something out there and we must press on, if any one protests….” The group looked dull but they did not object. Ceros was glad at this, although it did not make abandoning Gilbereth any easier. “Let us carry on, but be wary….draw your weapons. Something waits for us….” And with that they drew their arms and crept slowly into the dim of the forests shadow.

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]