The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Most intense line in FOTR

In your opinion, which was the most intense line in FOTR?<P>For me, although there are many, probably the booming voice of Gandalf when he commands the Balrog to stay back. “You shall not pass!”
Old 04-01-2003, 06:58 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At the beginning, in the prologue:<P>"For the time would soon come when hobbits would shape the fortunes of all."<P>Also:<P>"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
Old 04-01-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

A couple of Boromirs spring to mind (amongst many).<P>Retreating from the Watcher outside Moria:<BR>"LEGOLAS! Hit it again!" <P>His corruption revealed to Frodo at Amon Hen:<BR>"FOOL! What chance do you think you'd have?!"
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:20 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"What must I do" - Frodo.<p>[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Eomer of the Rohirrim ]
Old 04-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with "What must I do?". I also like:<P>"I will take the Ring to Mordor...though, I do not know the way".

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Frodo: Can you protect me from yourself?<P>Aragorn: I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor. <P>Frodo: I know. Look after the others. Especially Sam. He will not understand. <P>Boromir: It is over. The world of men will fall. And all will come to darkness. My city to ruin. <P>Aragorn: I do not know what strength is in my blood. But I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall. Nor our people fail. <P>Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened <P>Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. <P>Frodo: I don't suppose we'll ever see them again. <P>Sam: We may yet, Mr Frodo. We may.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Bilbo</B> - I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.<P>...it moved me
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Moves you to what? <P>The most intense line, in my opinion, is a Boromir line (you were expecting something else?) It's actually two lines, but who's counting? When he and Aragorn are talking in Lothlorien:<P>"Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, it's banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets? ... One day, our paths will lead us there and the tower guard will take up the call: 'The Lords of Gondor have returned!'"<P>Really knocks a hole in you when you realize that won't ever happen.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Really knocks a hole in you when you realize that won't ever happen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yep. That's now a tearjerking moment for me, because *sniff* you know he's never <I>going</I> to return

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know what is the most powerful line, but those Boromir-lines that you mentioned, Rynoah, always make me cry! And especially his expression, when he says it; his eyes so full of hope (sob)... <BR>Actually I also love the wise words of Gandalf(straight from the book):"Many that live, deserve death...etc".
Old 04-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #11
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I love all of Boromir's and Sam's lines.<P>"I made a promise Mr. Frodo. A promise. 'Don't you loose him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."<P>When he gets all teary, I want to cry too!
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #12
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
The lines Rynoah said always make me sad because, obviously, Boromir never will get to see his city again. <P>Many others that you all have already mentioned, too.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

"They are coming."<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:17 AM   #14
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh there are so many! FOTR was packed with intense lines...and I loved them all!<P>-Aragorn - I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor<BR>- Aragorn - Rest in peace, Son of Gondor (and he's got tears in his eyes I was crying at that bit!)<BR>- Gandalf - YOU SHALL NOT PASS!<BR>- Gandalf - Some that live deserve death speech, I can't remember the whole thing.<BR>- Boromir - In lothlorien when he is describing the white tower<BR>-Boromir - My captain, My King (oh thats so sad )<BR>- Frodo - I wish the ring had never come to me, I wish none of this had happened<BR>-Gandalf - Fly you fools!<BR>-Boromir - Give them a moment for pity's sake!<BR>- Sam - I made a promise Mr.Frodo. A promise! Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to.<BR>-Sam - We may yet Mr. Frodo. We may<BR>-Gandalf - So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:32 AM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, it's banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets? ... One day, our paths will lead us there and the tower guard will take up the call: 'The Lords of Gondor have returned!'" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*sniffle* i never thought about how he would never return. *more sniffle and a big wail*
Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM   #16
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

"They are coming."<P>Right on, Himaran.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

That bit where Arwen summons the river, especially the last line.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #18
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Oh man... "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn?" I hadn't even read the books when I first saw the movie, and that part still got me. And it made it even worse when he died. *sniffle*<P>And of course... "I made a promise, Mister Frodo! A promise!" Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I fell in love with Sam during that part.<P>I can't believe that nobody has mentioned one that always seemed really intense to me...<P>"Fool of a Took!"<P>
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #19
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think idk all of them are important!
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #20
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whatever Gandalf said when frodo tried to give him the ring. "NO! Do not tempt me!" He looked intense there!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #21
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #22
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It abandoned Gollum *tink* *tink* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Why shouldn't I keep it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I love the way that Ian Holm hisses that Bilbo line. It's very sinister; he was played brilliantly.<P>Some great lines were mentioned here, especially "They are coming..." However I do feel that most of the truly intense lines from the Fellowship of the Ring were either left out or greatly reduced in intensity. Examples: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I cannot read the fiery letters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Fly! you fools! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-09-2003, 06:00 PM   #23
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Sting

One of my favorites has always been this scene, book or movie:<P>"Frodo: <BR>It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance. <P>Gandalf: <BR>Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of the Ring. <P>Frodo: <BR>I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. <P>Gandalf: <BR>So do all that come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case you were also 'meant' to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."<P>It shows a lot of Gandalf and Frodo, and mentions poor old Bilbo. It reminds me of the mind game the ring plays with your morality and greediness. You have the complete opposite images of Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollum, and Frodo. A very chewy passage to munch on.<P>"Gimli: <BR>Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath."<P>Good old Gimli <P>And on the extended edition of the FOTR, Boromir's complete speech. Very scary. One could see the fraility of men so very easily.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #24
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king"
Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 PM   #25
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Sting

Gandalf: A balrog, his fow is beyond any of you, RUN! (i know it's not all of it but I don't remember everything.)<P>Also Arwen's elvish with the river.<P>Also when the ringwraith says "Shire, Baggins,"
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd have to say Gandalf & Frodo's long talk in Moria. But Boromir & Aragorn's talk in Lothlorien also ranked up there.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:50 AM   #27
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'd have to say Gandalf & Frodo's long talk in Moria. But Boromir & Aragorn's talk in Lothlorien also ranked up there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Absolutely!! Not only great lines but delivered supremely. Seriously could Gandalf the Grey be portrayed any better?

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #28
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I agree with that. Especially "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us."<P>Although I also love that Boromir quote mentioned above. And what Samwise says to Frodo at the end. Oh heck, pretty much all the dialogue was good, if not straight from the book.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #29
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Frodo: <BR>I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. <P>Gandalf: <BR>So do all that come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case you were also 'meant' to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."<P>To my mind, this is the line that really captures the essence and grand theme of LOTR. In it I think we can find implicit one of the great Truths that Tolkien wished to impart with his masterpiece. It is a wonderful piece of scripting and was delivered magnificently. (One would never have known that the actor is an atheist! Bravo!)
Old 12-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #30
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are tons of intense lines in FOTR. I personally love <P>- "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given us."<P>- "What must I do?"<P>- "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."<P>- "I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king"<P>and definitly when the Nazgul say "Shire, Baggins."

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #31
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I also thought that Boromir & Aragorn's last conversation as Boromir lay dieing was quite powerful...I could hear probably half the theater breaking down...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Seriously could Gandalf the Grey be portrayed any better?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not a chance . But I suppose I'm drifting into a thread on casting... <P>I also agree that one of the best things about those to longish discussions was the acting. <p>[ 10:28 PM December 11, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote