The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Fan Fiction Experiment

I've gone back to the old forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) and converted it to an experimental Fan Fiction forum. I've never been able to keep up with the Fan Fiction section of the main site like I wanted to, so I've decided to see if people can add their own stories without getting into to much trouble. The same rules will apply for what stories we will accept, but if you are one of our authors who is tired of waiting for me to post your story, here's your chance. New authors are also welcome, of course!

If you already have stories on the main site, please post them on the Fan Fiction forum to help get it started. If you have a new story you'd like to publish, please do so.

**READ THE RULES***

This is not going to be a free-for-all, anything goes Fan Fiction forum. Just like Fan Fiction on the main site, it will be strictly moderated.

I hope your story qualifies. Post a question there if you are unsure.

P.S. This is just getting started, and things may change quite a bit before things are finished. There is even the possibility that it may prove too difficult to maintain and it just won't work. But with responsible posting from authors and good control from the moderators, I think it could turn into a great source of quality Middle-earth Fan Fiction!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
poetry?

B-W,

This looks very interesting.

The current fanfiction forum includes poetry. Will poetry be included in the new site or not?

Child of the 7th Age
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That's a good question.

We get a disproportionate amount of poetry submitted as fan fiction, and most of it is fairly, uhh, ungood. I'm not really a poetry expert, but I'd prefer seeing more stories than poems if possible. I suppose we'll be taking poetry, but I wish I had a way to control what we post. I guess I'll need to find decent moderators for each of these forums to make them work well.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
This is a wonderful idea B-W, I am always waiting for more fanfictions to come out on the main site! I'm sure you can find some good moderators to take up such a task. And maybe if this works you can try a poetry forum.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
I have been enjoying the new Fanfiction forum and reading and reviewing some of the stories. I can foresee it becoming quite messy once there are a lot of different authors and stories posted up there. The one chapter per post is a good idea, too. But what happens when there are 50 authors with 15 stories each? I can see the need for moderation becoming dire fairly quickly. Also, once a story is finished, the writing thread will slowly sink to the bottom unless the author or someone else *bumps* it up to the top.

If I ever finish writing a story, I shall give this forum a try with it. I need all the encouragement I can get, since I am MORE than a little rusty at fanfiction writing. As I understand it, one can post unfinished stories chapter by chapter as well, but that idea frightens me!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Stories...

An excellent idea! I will post a few Middle Earth based fan fictions, mainly shorts. I never thought poetry qualified as fan fiction, un less it was incorporated into a larger story. Just my humble opinion.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Definitely a good idea!

Unfortunately, the majority of my Middle-earth fiction is in the form of poetry (generally about the Rohirrim riding to war, the Noldor coming to Beleriand, and one rather enigmatic one about Iluvatar). Now I really need to get off my butt and start writing some good fan fiction.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #8
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have placed the first chapter of Tales From Tol Eressëa on the board. Later chapters will be added shortly, however some require some editing so there may be some delay.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:32 PM   #9
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tales From Tol Eressëa II has now been posted.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Alack and...

...alas, no slash.

I am, of course, completely unsurprised, if slightly disappointed. Oh well, I'll have to post my stories elsewhere.

- Maril
Old 03-20-2004, 01:23 AM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting idea

I can see advantages and disadvatages to this idea, but we will have to see how it ages.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:44 PM   #12
Snowdog

Middle Earth Fan fic...

I have one I was thnking of submitting. its a work in progress.. I'll submit it and see if it passes muster.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #13
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
...alas, no slash.
And so I sigh in relief.

A little late, but: well done, Barrow-Wight!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #14
Snowdog

Tolkien

Nine months after my last post here saying I would post something on thr fan-fic board, I finally post. Its a work in progress, and I have tons of this sort of stuff I need to edit and clean up and such. But this is a start.

Its the first of a series of writings titled Recollections of a Dúnedain Ranger.