The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
Durregiel

Sting Silmarillion the movie??

Hey all , havn't been able to get on in AGES but got talking to fellow fans the other day about this topic and got me thinking... <BR>IF they were to make a movie (iknow its impossible because of all the time in the book and how would they divide everything up into 3 or so hours...)<BR>BUT who would all you guys choose to play the parts of the characters?(ie the ones not in lotrs movies coz we know them already) <BR>Anyway glad to be back and so many new people since last i came on:s<BR>cant wait to hear your answers^^
Old 08-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Hmmm... I don't know if it would make a good theatrical movie, but it think it would do well as a made for TV movie or an HBO original movie. I think that people wouldn't like it in the theatre because it contains so many short stories... unless, of course, there was an excellent screen play written.<BR>As for actors to protray the characters...<BR>Wow, there are so many characters that I can't even think right now... I need to go look everyone up!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

I think that it would make a good movie, but I don't think people who haven't read that book would like to see it. Too complicated. Well at least for 14-year-old me! But the book was really good anyhow!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:07 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I son't think it would ever work as a movie, (as you said, too many ages, too many stories),but it would make a great TV series.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:16 AM   #5
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i think it would be hard to make the movie as good as the book and i dont think they can make it fair to it eather... i wonder who they would choose to be Lúthien i cant think of anyone who can match that character in this world... and all the valars? no i think it would be best not to do a movie about it.... (i think i love that book too much to think they can do all the characters in the book fair as they should be....)
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hollywoodizing the Silm would be an extremely formidable task, but, provided it was done well, I would love to see it as a movie. (Especially the Kinslaying and the two Trees), though it would be difficult to cast, as many elves as there are.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:23 AM   #7
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The Silmarillion isn't the kind of book that is turned into a theatrical movie. The Hobbit however would be amazing....I really hope PJ decides to do that!

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #8
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

I agree if you have'ny read the book it would be totally confusing. http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/le_gal_thumb_mori3.gif
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #9
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I think that The Silmarillion as a movie wouldn't be such a good idea, for many of the reasons already said. <BR>TV show? Possibly. But movie I don't think would work out.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:53 AM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

No one is giving suggestions on cast members, but I'll give a few of mine anyway.<BR>Feanor=Joquin Phoenix<BR>Thingol=Sean Connery<BR>Luthien=Natalie Portman<BR>Beren=Owen Wilson<BR>Melian=Elle Macpherson<BR>Fingolfin=Russel Crowe (dyed hair)<BR>Glaurung's voice=James Earl Jones<BR>Hurin=Me<BR>Not trying to be funny with Hurin. Before I ever really thought about it, I had a couple friends tell me that when Hurin's appearance and characteristics were described, they thought of me.<BR>So, anyone agree with any members of my cast?<BR>Does anyone hate one of my selections?
Old 08-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Natalie Portman? The most beautiful being ever?<BR>Now there's a role that would be hard to pull off!<P>How about Christian Bale playing Melkor in fair form?<BR>Yeah! And Arnold Swarzenegger as Turin!<BR>Might as well pull in Cameron Diaz for Melian.<P>OK, I'm getting ridiculous now. Sorry. I do like that Christian Bale one though....<P>Imagine getting to play the part of Eru...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:01 PM   #12
Durregiel

Sting

Yes ok ok i know it was kinda stupid but i like this Hobbit idea( prob coz then i would have a chance of being in it this time dang y couldnt they wait about 6 months before filming because i was too young to be in the extras (nooo my horse and i could have been extras:'() anyway thanks for replying everyone^^
Old 08-14-2002, 05:04 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'm going to say right now that I want the part of Finarfin.<BR>Or Manwe. Either one's good.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 AM   #14
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't see Natalie Portman as an Elf at all, let alone Luthien. That said...hm. I don't know who I'd cast as Luthien; that's a tough call. I'll have to give it some thought for the myriad of others.<P>As for making any actual movie or something of it, I don't know how it would work. However, because of its episodic nature, it would be almost ideal for a miniseries if you got the right screenwriters.<P>Ooh, I had a thought:<BR>Jaye Davidson as Melkor<BR>He looked absolutely satanic in <I>Stargate</I>, but he could probably pull off the beautiful form, too, if he concentrates on looking like a good guy.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:59 AM   #15
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

It would be nice to see it as a movie but I don't think the Directors are up to the daunting task of writing screenplay for it.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:00 PM   #16
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was thread about this several months ago. I was discussing this with my friend and came to the conclusion, mini serious on the telie is the only way the Sil can be done even to half-baked.<P>First, do not script named faces, as what happened with Liv Taylor as Arwen, as some people will demand higher pay and larger parts when their character has a two second show.( those who supported the role change were Liv Taylor fans and those who did not were not fans). This would also lower costs( because pay would be lower for unknowns) and allow for those unknowns to get their foot in the door.<P>Script writing...hmmm, take tons of notes of the Sil and have a large group of writers. Also have the actors read the book and take notes on their character on their behavior, noted traits and behavior around other characters.<BR>Then there will be the impossible structure of how to break the Sil up as each story had relevence as they tie into the Silmarils. Plus, I would not put "ears" on the elves. Lower more costs. Lower overhead, less stress to make the extra buck.<P>I would rather they take years to work on before filming rather then attempt the one year wonder. It will far better because of the care taken. The CORRECT detail would be intailed. Such if the trees are discribed gold and no falling leaves, that will be there.<BR>It would be fun, but I would be afraid to see it done because the above would most likely NOT happen. Hollywood mentality, you have to famous, you have to make thousands of millions of dollars and get an award. None of that matters in the end.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:50 PM   #17
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Sting

Well, I think that it would be very hard to make a movie based on the Silmarillion. I don't think that anyone really wants to make a movie out of the Silmarillion. I mean, come one, can you imagine making that book into a movie script?! That is one job I certainly don't want. I have read the Silmarillion, and I would never want to be the producer for that movie. Plus, you would probally have to make MANY VERY LONG movies out of it, and besides Tolkien fans, who would want to see ALL of those movies?.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:24 PM   #18
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

In ten to twenty years when I'm filthy rich, I'll offer to pay PJ and his team so much money that they will definitely want to make The Silmarilion.<BR>And also, get off Natalie Portman! There isn't really anybody who can play Luthien! I just think she'd be one of the best. She has a pretty face and a nice body, but the biggest reason I selected her was because her long dark hair is so gorgeous!!
Old 08-15-2002, 05:53 AM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

I think Eliza Dushku is maybe the hottest actress out there but I'm not sure anyone could play Luthien perfectly so....yeah, just cast someone. I mean, Liv Tyler is never pretty enough to play Arwen but I still think she did fairly well.<P>But maybe they could animate Luthien...lol
Old 08-15-2002, 10:12 AM   #20
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

define beauty. Is is solely based on apperance or is it more? It is a fair question.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:08 PM   #21
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

i still dont think there can be anyone to play Lúthien noone is that beautiful.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:21 PM   #22
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Give me a wig and I'll play Luthien.<P>Almost everyone here has in some way shape or form said that The Sil won't be made into a movie....so let's worry about the Hobbit. I just see them making it into a movie after RotK is released.....<P>I read somewhere that the rights were bought to The Sil and The Hobbit....so there is a fairly good chance that atleast the Hobbit will be made into a movie (or several movies). They are probably just waiting so they can make their millions off of the LotR films....I want to be in the Hobbit!

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:20 PM   #23
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only thing I can find wrong with making a movie of The Hobbit would be that (to my knowledge) there is no female characters. So... If it were made into as movie they might add female characters. <BR>The Silm, I agree, would be a ver hard movie to make but if there was the right amount of dedication it could be done. Maybe, possibly! Also, I think it would be good, if they did make it into a film, if they used fans of The Silm as the actors/actresses because then the movie would have a more genuine feel, I think. <BR>It would be tough to cast Luthien though, I agree.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #24
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only thing I can find wrong with making a movie of The Hobbit would be that (to my knowledge) there is no female characters. So... If it were made into as movie they might add female characters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It is rather sexist to make up female roles in a story where there wass none in the first place. Not only is is sexist, it cheapens the female part because it become the token character.<P>The hobbit has been done before and did not miss a beat. Why fix something that is not broke?<P>Davin: I would LOVE to see that, though it would be a bit strange with the whole Beren thing. <P>Seriously, the whole beauty thing lays in the eyes of the beholder. The opinion of beauty changes with time and through cultures. All you really need is someone with a pretty face and long dark hair.<p>[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 08-15-2002, 05:25 PM   #25
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

<I>The Silmarillion</I> would be amazing as a movie/series of movies/TV miniseries if it could be pulled off. Miniseries would probably be best, maybe an installment for every major story (i.e. "Narn î Hin Húrin" and "Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin" would make good 2-hour specials). One rule that would (probably) be important:<P>The Valar (and Melkor/Morgoth) should not be played by an actor. Sort of that "God shall not be portrayed" or whatever. (Sauron and Melian should be safe for actors, though.)<P>I don't have any good suggestions for actors/actresses, though. I <I>so</I> claim the part of young Túrin, though.<P>Wasn't <I>The Hobbit</I> done as a cartoon a while ago? I've never seen it, but a movie with the same actors playing the same roles (Bilbo and Gandalf, and maybe Glóin), it would be awesome. Imagine Smaug detroying Esgaroth...<I>on the big screen</I>....
Old 08-16-2002, 01:19 AM   #26
Durregiel

Sting

go devin , go devin!, im with eol on that making up and girl part.. looked what happened in the movie.... arg no glorfindel!!!!grrrr.<BR>i would so love the hobbit to be remade (coz i missed out on being in LOTRs by 6 months>.< and i need something to make me feel better.. im wouldnt mind even as an extra.....)<P>p.s.i think Norah Jones looks like a good elven princess, but thas just my opinion...
Old 08-16-2002, 04:51 AM   #27
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Roquen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this goes against the grain but shouldn't Liv play Luthian? Arwen was supposed to be the semi-reincarnation of Luth' so...!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:25 AM   #28
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Wow Roquen I was just about to say that. One of the many problems would be how to portray the Valar, i'm all for a cg Vala with a decent actors voice. But as far as i know apart from Ulmo none of the other Valar were described in great detail.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:30 PM   #29
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

i would not want to see liv tyler play Lúthien it would not feal right. its nothing wrong with liv but i just cant see her as Lúthien...