The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pronounciation

Need I say more?

edit: You might have seen this or this thread, and complain that I am making new posts, but they are not the same.

And I am especially referring to user names

Last edited by Eönwë; 02-08-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Are you asking about your own name? The diereses indicate that there are three syllables. So phonologically, I would suggest saying it as Ay-On-Wi.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Not just mine.

Anyway, wouldn't mine be more like ee-on-way or eh-on-weh?

Ibri's is a challenge though.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Anyway, wouldn't mine be more like ee-on-way or eh-on-weh?
Why can't the English people ever pronounce anything normally?

I believe it should be e (as in "red") - on (as in "on" ) - vee (as in "veeery good!").

And Ibri should maybe tell us personally...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*is happy that the Elvish pronounciation of vowels is almost identical to the German one*

I think Eönwë is correct with eh-on-weh. The 'e' needs to be the way Legate said, but 'eh' is simpler and close enough. The 'w' definitely has to be pronounced as an English 'w' and not like a 'v'.

And now, for a challenge...
ee-bree-nee-theel-pah-thah-neh-zehl?

And for completeness' sake...
mahk-ahl-ow-reh

(the first 'th' in Ibri's name should be soft, and the 'r's should be trilled)
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually, it sounds cool the German way. Go Germans!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ibrîniðilpathânezel. Heck of a word. To the best of my knowledge, the circumflexes are used to indicate long vowel sounds rather than short, and the eth (ð) represents the voiced th, as in "them." Since precious little is known about Valarin, save for a few words and the fact that the Elves didn't like listening to it, one can presume that it doesn't follow all the same pronunciation rules as in Quenya or even Sindarin. There is no doubt at least one secondary accent in the word, given its length, but perhaps not -- that would certainly make a rather "alien" sound to lyrical Elvish ears. If one uses short i as in pin, short a as in pat, short e as in men, long I as in time, and long A as in day, and the ð as the th in them (indicated by an underscored th), then what I hear comes out as:

ih-brine-ih-thill-pa-thay-NEH-zell

In my head, it's a bit sing-songish, with very weak secondary accents on every other syllable, beginning with the first, and the strong accent on the penultimate.

More confusion, hmm???
Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien one syllabub, two syllabub, rub a dub dub

Well, Estelyn Telcontar and I have discussed the pronounciation of this user name: Groin Redbeard.

She favours the Tolkien pronounciation. I think he's having a bit of fun with our board rules and Tolkien's own linguistic legerdemain.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 02-17-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote