The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit
Pile O'Bones

Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Question Uses of LOTR Names......

Well as I was feeding my 13 Betta fish a stupid question popped into my head! Here it goes....12 of the 13 fish I have are all named after LOTR characters (Frodo, Samwise, Bilbo, Strider, Arwen, Gandolf, Saruman, Legolas, Smeagol, Meriadoc, Pippin, and Gimli) and I was wondering if any of you named your beloved pet after any of the characters and if so which one. Even if you don't have a pet...If you did who would you pick to name it after and what kind of pet would it be?? Or maybe you named your child after a character..LOL!! I promise I'll try not to come up with these crazy questions too often [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. the 13th fish is named "Lady of the Lake" (I took that name from the King Author legend)

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit ]
Old 09-15-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My dad used to have a dog named Frodo and I know someone with a horse named Shadowfax.
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't have a pet named after LotR, but if I did, well it probably be a dog name Sam or Strider.

Now, if I had a horse, which I really want, she would be called Snowmane.

A child??? I don't know about that. I guess I like the name Lorien or Laurelin.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:42 PM   #4
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I remember in primary school, reading a book called 'The Great Gilly Hopkins', where the title character (Gilly) was named Galadriel.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:22 AM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

My dad had a very good dog named Hobbit. He could leap over tall fences and would go in his doghouse when merely told to. He was great, or so my dad says. Alas, Hobbit the dog has already passed on.

I am surprised to find that I, currently, have no pets named after anything or anyone in LOTR! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] My cat is named Seamus (No, not after the boy in Harry Potter. Seamus was born on St. Patrick's Day, so I thought it fitting to name him something Irish. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) My two dogs are named Ginger and Pepper (I thought it was cute lol), and my turtle is named Donatello (after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

If I ever get a new pet, the name will come from Tolkien, I assure you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 05:49 AM   #6
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I was little, my dad got a cat for my mom on her birthday, and they both agreed to name it Gandalf, because he just looked like a Gandalf...He was kinda old (he hasnt died yet!! YAY) he likes to walk into other neighbors garages (and sometimes houses) so its like Gandalf when people say he meddles in everyones affairs. He is just...Gandalf!

For my sister and I, we got cats before my lotr interest, so we have a little cat (but hes almost 3) whos name is midnight, and another whose name is Gen Gen....(dont ask...long story) But!!!! We recently got two fishes who we named Eomer and Eowyn. The cats wont eat them, just watch them swim.

Next pet I get I might name Pippin.....*thinks to herself*

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 12:28 PM   #7
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: charly ]
Old 09-17-2002, 12:28 PM   #8
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf must be sort of a common cat name... my cousin has this really ANCIENT cat named "Gandalf the Cat", in addition to "Gandalf the Istari". [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My dog´s named "elena" "of the stars" ,which is Sindarin (figures). Does that count? I first wanted to name her éowyn, but I´m the only one in the family that´s read LotR, so that would have been sort of dumb for the rest... so she´s elena now. It tourned out it was the best name we could give her, ´cause she has this star-shaped mark on the forehead... oh well, guess that was boring for you guys, sorry
Old 09-17-2002, 12:49 PM   #9
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I had a dog, I'd call it Samwise. If I had a pig, I'd call it Ham Gamgee (or possibly Spamwise Hamgee [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). If I had a horse I'd call it either Asfaloth of Hasufel.
And as for children... I want to have a son and call him Beren, and a daughter called Luthien Tinuviel or Eowyn. Not sure how my future husband will feel about that though... oh wait, I wouldn't marry him unless he was as obsessed with LOTR as I was!
Old 09-17-2002, 01:41 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I acutally just got a cat yesterday & I named her (yes, her) Frodo. She's a beautiful Calico kitten.

My ex-roommate's cat was named Pippin, but we called him Pip!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 02:03 PM   #11
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We have cats that live in our barn and one day one of them had kittens! I wanted to name them all LOTR names but the rest of my family wouldn't let me. My mom was like "Galadreil?! What kind of a name is that?"

When I grow up and have my oun family I'll name my pets after LotR charicters and possibly my children.
If I have a daugter I could name her Tinuviel and just call her Tina for short.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:49 PM   #12
Bradley Roy

Sting

No I don't have any pets named after LOTR characters. Darn. Although we did have a cat that reminded me of a Balrog, LOL (it got hit by a car!)
And you have to beleive this: at church the other day I saw on the bulletin this request for a guy named Aragorn. That guys is so lucky I think I shall be sick! It is totally not fair! His parents must have been LOTRFREAKS!! (my Dad likes the books but not that much! Anyway I sign all school papers "Strider" and say "Mellon" in front of closed doors. Seriously.
I'll have to name my first pet snake Wormtongue. Haha
Namaarie
Strider (or Elessar) If your wondering about my display name the correct spelling was already taken. I do know how to spell.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:02 AM   #13
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Sting

I was going to name me kitten Sauron, because he is SSSSOOOOOOOOO evil! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] My mother wouldn't let me, she said it would scare people, so he's Inu, which means dog(and that doesn't freak people out? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] ) I think I would like to name my future children Elvish names: they are much more elegant. Probably Arwen and Elros. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:42 PM   #14
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

The Ones Ring has taken Frodo!
OK, my cat, who I mention earlier, has developed a fascination with The One Ring on the end of my FOTR bookmark. I thought it was rather funny that a cat named Frodo would be possessed by this ring! I guess the name really does fit!
Old 09-18-2002, 10:00 PM   #15
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have a Mother-in-law that I believe is Sauron, does that count? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 03:35 AM   #16
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I think I'll stick to more 'normal' names for my kids like Rose or Sam. Or I run the risk of my kids hating me and LOTR for ruining their lives [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #17
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I haven't checked this forum for a while and surfed in today...and really enjoyed reading these posts!
I don't have any pets right now, but I'd like to have a golden retriever and name him Samwise. I also want a cat...but I haven't come up with a name yet...might depend more on its personality than with the dog.
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #18
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
If I had another dog, I'd call it either Gollum or Mellonhead. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My friend has a horse named Pippin. (how cute!)
Old 09-20-2002, 11:02 AM   #19
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I used LotR names for nicknames sometimes. I call my brother "Sam the Gardener" because the neighbors are always hiring him to mow their lawns and look after their gardens while they're away, plus a lot of his chores have to do with lawn work. There's a guy at my church who looks very much like Elijah Wood as Frodo, except that his hair is blond and he went and cut it short, so it doesn't look very curly anymore. We call him Frodo (There are a lot of LotR fans at my church; we plan to see TTT together on opening night.). My family was calling me Gandalf for a while. I guess they think I'm wise (boy, do I have them fooled [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). Oh, and the college campus minister who leads the Bible study I attend reminds me of Peter Jackson, though I haven't told him so (he's also a LotR fan). And my brother and I refer to one of the members of the church I attend back home as Bilbo, because he kind of looks like him at the beginning of the movie when he's younger. Fun stuff [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 09-20-2002, 01:47 PM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Go here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000398) for more on this subject.
I posted this topic months back I just couldn't remember what I titled it.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:03 PM   #21
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I don't have any pets but if I did I would give it a LOTR name. However, I do call my little bro a ghastly neekerbreeker sometimes. (yes I did steal that from Birdland) also sometimes I call him spawn of melkor or something like that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 05:09 PM   #22
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't have any pets w/ LotR names [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img], but in my speech class, we had to get 'married' and have kids, and I named the oldest boy Sam, and the cat Laurelin. Oh! And I wanted to name our 'daughter' Aerin, but so I wouldn't seem weird, I changed it to Eryn.

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #23
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I named my brother's bird, Mr.Frodo. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have yet to name MY bird... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #24
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Oh, I got you all beat! I have a semi-dwarf orange tree named Gamgee [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 03:18 AM   #25
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Interesting...I seem to have killed it
Old 09-23-2002, 11:51 AM   #26
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Eye

Susan, please tell me you mean the thread and not the tree!

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

--Belin Ibaimendi,
getting ready to sing Quickbeam's song....
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 01:05 PM   #27
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

No, I don't hav a pet named after one of the characters, but since I am in love with horses and everything to do with them, if I had a foal I would name it Shadowfax.(I wouldn't change my horses name). I wanted to buy a horse earlier this year, but was sold! :-(
Old 09-23-2002, 07:12 PM   #28
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Fear not, Fair Maiden, young Sam is alive and well, though he stil refuses to give me any oranges.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 11:43 PM   #29
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Apparently Frodo's vet has read the books. When I took Frodo there for her first visit he came in the room and said, "Is this Frodo of the nine fingers?"
They all loved her and they mentioned that someone else that goes there has a cat named Gamgee [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Perhaps Frodo and Gamgee need to meet!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:57 PM   #30
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well funnily enough my mum, sister and i were talking about pet names today after my mum and sis saw several rabbits at a store. the discussion rose to good names for them all samwise, merry, pippin, frodo, bilbo, legolas and strider. all because of their personalities. i would like to point out though that we are not going to get a rabbit! because we have an adorable golden retriever called monty- my nickname for him is samwise gamgee 'cos he so loyal, devoted and follows me around everywhere! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:11 PM   #31
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of all the seriousness I can summon of my eighteen years (my opinions might change when I'm older or BE changed by the man in question... though I want to marry a Tolkien fan, you never know really--my mom wanted to marry a cowboy and she ended up with my dad) I was seriously thinking of naming my children after characters in LOTR. I don't think there's anything wrong with that--some may quote the teasing part of it ("Ooh, look, here comes 'Gay-lad-re-el!' Hahahahha!!) but I got teased, and my name is Rebecca. Kids'll find a way to get around anything--that's their nature, and I think that original names give people a sense of individuality. I love my middle name (it's Irene). For some reason all the combos I came up with were female, though--for the boys they usually consisted of James Taylor ____ and Robert Dylan ____ , but that's just me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I had them all figured out at one time, I wish I could remember them now. Avallone was one that I just had as the first name--female, Ava for short, like Ava Gardner--but I was always afraid that it would be confused with the fish. "Abaloney? Your name is Abaloney?" I think middle names would work out better, though, but that's just my opinion. Ava Elanor, or something.

Well, there's my two cents. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Do with it what you will.

-Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:59 PM   #32
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My son has a schoolmate called Bilbo. How cute is that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] He has another schoolmate called Twilight, that is of course not a LOTR name, but it sounds so beautiful.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:33 PM   #33
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I knew a girl in college named Laurelin, and we all thought it was very pretty. I'm not sure about naming kids after LOTR characters, though (at least the really well-known ones like Galadriel and Arwen and so forth - names like Laurelin would be better because they haven't got millions of people thinking of a movie actor when they hear them). I'm not against naming children after literary characters (for a while I was considering naming mine after characters in "Eugene Onegin", pretty sad, eh [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) but I imagine it could be pretty hard on the child. It's one thing to be named "Catherine" because your mother loved "Wuthering Heights", because Catherine is a name independent of the book, so to speak - it isn't always associated with "Oh, Heathcliff! Heathcliff!". OTOH if your name is Bilbo or Frodo, those names only exist because of LOTR, and inevitably people would think of it, joke about it, think they're the first ones to ask "Hey, where's your ring" etc.

Pets, on the other hand, I'm all for. Our two cats now are Justinian and Theodora, since I've been wanting to use those names for cats since I was 16, but the next one will definitely be an Elvish name - they just seem very appropriate for cats, somehow.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:57 PM   #34
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Well, we have 2 dogs, but Daddy named them, and I wasn't into LOTR then anyways. But I've already decided if I ever get a horse, it will be named Shadowfax, or maybe Snowmane if it happens to be white. I want a beagle, but I want to name it Porthos. I'm considering changing it to a LOTR name, but I'm not sure yet. If I got any other pets, they would be named after somebody from LOTR. I also want to name kids after LOTR characters, that is, if I get married and have kids!! I've seriously considered Lorien or Arwen, or one of many others. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 10-31-2002, 01:43 PM   #35
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Well, my family knows me for my weird cat names. We always get our kittens in pairs, the first pair was Cleopatra and Charlie, the second was Maketa and Rusty, then there was George and Antonio, and finally Bagheera and Rodney. Except for Charlie and Rusty, they were all named after someone. (If you want to know who, PM me. Hey, I'm always interested in where names come from, maybe you are too.)

Anyway, the next pair I am going to name Merry and Pippin. Most definitely!

As for kids...I like the name Samwise except that it means half-wit! Rats. Girls are easier to give weird names to, but boys are more touchy about that, so I wouldn't give my son a LotR name. But perhaps if I have a daughter I'll give her something Elvish...but I don't know what. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #36
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We've got two cats, which I tried to name Arwen and Aragorn. My brother and mother didn't approve though, I wonder why?! Hehe. I still call them that though, and my mum and brother calls them something so completely foolish that I'm not going to tell you! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 03:33 PM   #37
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

if i had 8 fish, i would anme them Gil-Galad, Thranduil, Celeborn, Glorfindel, Elrond, Haldir, Isildur, and probably Legolas [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] or actually, Aragorn... ok, id have 9 fish

if i had a child a girl i would not give such a good name, like frodo (?! i surprised myself there as well...) or at all....

if a boy, id have to think hard, cos hes bound to get teased with a name like Gandalf... but Pippin would be ok cos there are kids called Peregrine...
Old 10-31-2002, 10:55 PM   #38
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

BTW charly, if you want to delete a post when you go to edit it, chech off the box that says delete post.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:42 AM   #39
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Hhhmmm.. I've not had any pets since my fish died three years ago. Lemme think.. I think it was called 'the ball' because it was round. ^_^ Hhhhmmm.. I wish I had a cat though.. Or possible a dog. If I had a cat I would name it something elvish (or possible dwarvish, to be original [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]). If I got a dog I would name it Khelek - that is, as long as GreatWarg doesn't protest against it..

Hhhhmmm.. children names, yes. If I ever get married and have children I would, of course, love to give them names from the books, preferably elvish. Naming children 'Maedhros' or 'Gil-Galad' might be a little bit cruel though, so I was thinking that perhaps the hobbit names would be best.. Merry, Pippin, Pearl, Diamond, Rosie, Sam... even though they do refer to LotR, not everybody will think about it at start (unless they are obsessed with LotR, like me)..

I have started to work on my own language, so I might just give my kids (that is, if I ever get any) names derived from that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*steps down fom soapbox and hides*
Old 11-01-2002, 03:57 PM   #40
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Gee, I feel left out! My cats names are Spumoni and Neopolitan. However, I do know a girl named Galadriel.