Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #161
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I didn't have any plans for Fordogrim specifically -- it was really just an 'atmosphere' piece. I think it might be a nice way to tie up the adventure if the scouting party were to find him and Fredigar on their way out (but be warned, Fordogrim might have a thing or two to say to poor old Marcho. . . )
Old 03-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #162
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Fordim - I wouldn't have it any other way.

I had to change my time on my SAVE. I expected it to be ready by this evening, but other things took longer than I thought, so...it will be up before 5 pm EST tomorrow. Sorry, for any inconveniences.

~ Alak
Old 03-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #163
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
I'M BACK Oh well I'm glad you changed it Regin.
Regin: The post is fine with me. I like the fact that Sarah got lost. Well not really lost just bored with the conversation. She can't seem to stay away from mushrooms. Oh well it makes her a hobbit. I can atleast say that I like the post. Thanks for including Sarah in a way that is interesting.

I will wait until after Alak has posted before I post for Sarah. It will be fun to see what happens to her next. First she begins to talk to the chickens. Second her roasted chicken is taken. Third she is seen as braver than a man. Last but not least Sarah gets lost. I love it already!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #164
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Welcome back, Witch_Queen.

I have filled in my SAVE. I hope Kransha, Regin, and Fordim will find everything satisfactory. If not let me know, and I'll edit.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #165
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Love it -- in particular the "no good hobbit" line. I wonder whom Fordim is talking about, however. . .?

Will do my best to find out sometime soon -- for the moment, real life beckons.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #166
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Everyone :
I'm really trying to get another post up. But I'm being a renactor at a Renaissance faire soon, so things are very hectic.

~Fëa
Old 03-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #167
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Looks fine Alak. How much longer are we staying camped?

Fordim, At first, when I heard you complaining to me about a " no good hobbit"I thought it was Marchol. But it could also be Sarah for getting lost....Just a thought.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 03-23-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #168
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

Quote:
Looks fine Alak. How much longer are we staying camped?
I think the quicker we can out of there the better. I thought I might leave it open for Harold to tell the kids about their new duties. After that is done, anyone can bring us to the next day and get us back on the road.

Of course, a good showdown between Fordogrim and Marcho would be nice, maybe Marcho gets to bed early and Fordogrim gets him in the morning? Whatever Fordim thinks, but we do need to get going. We have a lot of road to cover and 7 weeks to do it.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:30 PM   #169
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

New Save Up

I have a new save up that I plan to fill tomorrow afternoon or evening. I will tell May and Henry about their new job.

Fordim- MMmmmmm Harold loves mushroom pie!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:37 AM   #170
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
OK Fordogrim. Sarah will make a mushroom pie. But she will also get up bright and early the next morning to fix the Chubb's some breakfast. After all we don't want Grandpa mad at Sarah any more than he already is. I think a nice breakfast would be good in the morning. That is if it is fine with the others.

Anyone against Sarah getting up and fixing something for breakfast let me know. I will wait until the save's are filled in before Sarah has anything to say about the forest. (which is quite funny but we won't go there.) Like I said let me know. I think a good breakfast will get everything started on a better note.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #171
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordogrim's rant is up -- what a grouch!!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #172
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Fordim - Great post!

No one needs to wait for the SAVEs to continue posting...the SAVEs are a way to save a spot for a character so that the others don't have to wait. With that said, Witch_Queen or anyone else may bring us to the next day. I will unable to do so as I have two papers due on Thursday. Don't worry though, I'm still here and keeping an eye ("both eyes as long as they can be spared") on the game.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #173
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
MMmmmmm Harold loves mushroom pie!
there's such a thing as mushroom pie?? 0.o oh well..

I will try to post for Alora really soon everybody!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #174
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Hey guys! I know I haven't posted in forever , but my computor computor's been all kooky. I'm also really busy with a school project. However, another bit of the story should be up by tomorrow.

I last left poor May standing in the middle of the road, crying her eyes out. My original plan was to have her fall behind, and get lost somewhere along the road. I have this post all written out - but I know that Sarah just got lost, so you might think that's kind of boring and repetitive. Anyway, I figured that no one would notice that she was missing until they came out of the forest (big duh, I know), and probably Harold would be the first to realize when he tries to find Henry and May to tell them about the babysitting job. A little while of rather relaxed search would follow, before growing to a frenzied search party hunt. May would probably be found later that night wandering somewhere in the edge of the woods, or some such place.

A little bit of delicious reconciliation might be in order at that time, seeing as May has had all that time alone to think.

Tell me what you think!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #175
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Memory - I like the idea of giving May some time alone to think that may lead to reconciliation, but I don't think it would be a good idea to lose her at this stage of the game. We're falling a little behind, and we need to get the travelers back on the road. Remember they are only on their first night, and the trip will be a month long! Keep your idea for bit, and maybe we can use it down the road.

If anyone has big ideas like this for their characters, please post them here or send me a PM (if you want to keep it a secret) before acting them out. That way I can plan for them timewise.

Thanks
~Alak
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM   #176
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Narya Harold Chubb

Harold's Post is up. He tells the family about the kids' new job and warns the kids to be responsible. If anyone has any problems let me know so that I can edit it. It's so fun sounding like my parents.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #177
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

Nice posts, Regin and Witch_Queen.

I have moved us to the next day, and mentioned Sarah's mushroom pie being made the night before, and she is currently making the breakfast. So I don't think anything is being left out.

Rutslegolas - Please check your PMs.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #178
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Alak:

Remember to keep me updated about the 'special plot'. I'm ready when you are.

~Fëa
Old 03-24-2004, 10:39 PM   #179
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Mushroom Pie

Not really on topic, but, well, you did ask if there were such a think Melisil :

Mushroom Pie

Ingredients:

8 1/3 ounces flour
4 ounces butter
1/4 cup water
12 ounces mushrooms
5 ounces abalone mushrooms
3 1/2 ounces fresh mushrooms

Seasoning:
45 c.c fresh cream
1/2 ounces butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions:

1. Blend the flour and melted butter together, adding some water to make the pastry.

2. Slice or dice the mushrooms. Put butter ( about 1/2 ounces ) in a pan. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir. (As fresh mushrooms seep water after cooking, add some flour.) Add salt, pepper and fresh cream to make filling.

3. Place the pastry on a baking pan. Poke holes evenly with a fork. Spread the filling and bake at 200 C until the crust
turns yellow-brown and well cooked.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #180
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Bravo!

Oh Memory -- I just had to say what a wonderful post that was! I love what you do with Fordogrim. And it's a gorgeous lead-in to the kiddies heading into the forest.

Bravo!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #181
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hullo all...

Dreadfully sorry about sort of neglecting the RPG and Discussion Thread. I realize I should've at least posted a save for Kal telling his kids about the baby-sitting. Thank you, ArwenBaggins, for taking that intiative. I will have an RPG post up tomorrow, most likely. I've just been swamped lately. That will all end this weekend.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #182
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Eye

Memory - I agree...beautiful post, and check your PMs.

Kransha - Thanks for checking in. I hope everything works out for the best.

Fordim - Thanks for the recipe! I just may give it a try...mmm.

Everyone - I have bit of an announcement. I think Rutslegolas may be having some serious computer problems, so we are going to carry Henry Chubb. Anyone can use him, as long as he's in character, and I will do any and all posts that need to be written in his sole point of view. If you have any questions about how to work with him or how something will be carried out, post them here or send me a PM and we'll work it out.

Thanks, everyone! Keep up the great work.

~ Alak
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #183
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Ok, I have a Kal post up. Kalimac is irritated by Crispin, and thus decided to vent be declaring his authority to May and Henry! Also, more money for them (heavens, those two are going to be so rich by the end of this RPG). Well, if my post somehow doesn't agree with something, just say so.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:12 PM   #184
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Kransha:

Wonderful posts about how Kal feels about his very angry son! There's gonna have to be some struggling on Henry/May's part to get Crispin to cooroperate.... Maybe an adventure?

~Fëa
Old 03-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #185
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

I won't be able to post till Sunday, but I plan to do it then.

I did have a question....does Kalimac's wife know he is paying the kids? If not, I could casually thank her for that, which may be a bit of a surprise for her! I'm not sure whether she will like that.

Arestavana, Kransha.....let me know if I should do this.

Otherwise, I'm having trouble getting a hook in the storyline at this point. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Regin
Old 03-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #186
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Kransha - I really enjoyed your post...great job!

Regin - If the Elsa scene doesn't work, you sould always bring Henry and May in for breakfast and away from the generous Mr. Whitfoot.

~*~*~

I used Henry to tie the actions of May and Kal, so Kransha and Memory, please let me know if anything needs to be changed. I didn't move the action very far, because I don't feel comfortable manipulating both characters without know your intentions, but I felt like Henry needed to respond to May and react to Kal.

I suppose after the Chubbs have their well-made breakfast, I will bring Marcho back with lumber and set the travelers back on the road.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #187
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Well, thank you all for that.

On the subject of Elsa's knowing about the payment: I was actual careful not to have Kal mention that to her, since he was probably nervous about telling her, since it was obvious that she didn't fully agree with the idea anyway. The plan of having the knowledge sprung upon her would certainly create a lot of tension.

I find that, to have more fun RPing, it is always best to have a lot of tension when something horrible is about to happen. I know nothing of Child's disaster plans, but...well, you get the idea, don't you?

Old 03-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #188
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Regin -- on the matter of the hook you seek; I've been feeling that the Chubbs are a bit of a scattered clan myself at the moment (we've each got our own nice little individual stories going with some interconnectedess but no 'family narrative'). Might I suggest to all Chubb-characters that we indulge in a huge, knock-down, drag 'em-out family fight?!?!

There's enough tension in the family that something like that would be entirely appropriate at this point I think. And what with the looming crisis of the children getting lost in the Forest, there should be ample opportunity for recrimination and accusation among the adults.

The general 'theme' of the fight should probably be the debate between those who like the idea of the journey (Sarah and Henry?) versus those who do not (May and Fordogrim?) with poor old Harold stuck in the middle, trying to remain loyal to everyone. With something like this we'd have plenty to react and respond to for days.

F.H.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:58 AM   #189
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Even though I shouldn't be commenting, considering I'm not a member of the venerable Chubb clan, but I must say I do like the idea that Fordim just proposed. You see I have something just mildly similar to that in mind, involving my character.

As I mentioned before, the best RPing tension comes about in the light or wake of some disaster. Either during or after the children's 'Woodland Adventure,' I think Kalimac will be sufficiently annoyed to the level that he might get reall, really mad at something or someone. He has a lot to deal with: His rebellious son (heh, reminds me of me, actually), his bargain with the Chubbs, his wife's knowledge of the bargain wholly, and a bunch of other nagging things.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #190
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I've just looked back over Rutslegolas' posts to get a sense of what he wanted Henry to feel about the trip, and it seems pretty clear that the boy is against leaving Bree and even leaves feeling angry about it. With that said, I do believe that if the whole family seemed to gang up on his mother, he would definitely defend her. I can always set him up as a 'Mama's boy' if need be.

What if the "fight" takes place while they are on the road, and they cause a huge scene that actually stops the caravan. We could take off on this to have the kids take off and decide to go into the forest.

What do you think?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:04 PM   #191
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

1420!

I go away for a day and look what happens! Everyone is fighting...

Actually, a fight is a good idea, with the Whitfoot children sneaking off to the woods while everyone else squabbles.

Will each of the families be fighting among its own members, or just the Chubbs? It might make more sense to have a dragout argument between all the Chubbs, and the Whitfoot husband and wife..... Two separate fights, I mean, but going on at the same time. What do you think?

Alak....would you mind if Harold came to his wife's defense, after May and Henry and Grandpa start to attack her? Given the relationship I've depicted, e.g., presenting a gift to Sarah and such, I think Harold would try to shield his wife if the others "gang up" on her, even though he's still uncertain about leaving Bree.

Regin

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 03-27-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:45 PM   #192
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Regin, I think I would be more comfortable with Harold coming to her defense. Henry may remain relatively quiet however, as is his nature. I'm not sure he would attack his mother verbally, so he may be the one that is stuck in the middle, unsure of who to support and finding himself in a very awkward position. Should be fun to write!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #193
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sounds good to me!

So, as I understand it, we will have both families going at it in two separate arguments: the Whitfoot husband and wife, and all the members of the Chubb family. This gives the Whitfoot kids a time and reason to sneak off into the woods. They are tired of all the yelling, and no one is watching them.

Hey, Kalimac can't get too mad at May and Henry since he's also been distracted from watching the kids by his own argument! Maybe the Whitfoot family can initially get angry at the Chubbs when they first discover the children are lost, but then everyone pitches in together to find them?????

I am going to put a save up on the thread that will get filled in by late tonight. Harold will go over and thank Elsa for Kalimac's promise of money and the fact that he's already given the children an advance. Elsa will say nothing but just stare back at him. As far as I know, Kalimac hasn't bothered to tell his wife anything about the pay.... So this could be used as a reason for husband and wife to start squabbling. Conversely, if you don't want to use it as a reason to argue, Elsa could just respond sweetly......

Please let me know if anyone has further feelings on this. I will edit if needed.

How should the argument in the Chubb family start? Maybe Grandpa blowing up at all of us, or May and Sarah having an argument, with Sarah saying May should be happy about the trip now that she's earning money, and Sarah being less than pleased? Any ideas on this?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #194
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I know I've said this before, but we've got to get them on the road. The arguments and the disappearances can still take place (I do like the ideas), but we've been writing for three weeks now, and we're still not past the first campsite. So...if you want to get something in before they leave please do so today, or put up a SAVE because I am going to have Marcho lead them out tomorrow. Everything can happen while they are on the road, or when they stop to rest.

Thanks!

~ Alak
Old 03-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #195
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

That should work fine, since I have the save up. If someone wants to pick up on the argument on the road, that would certainly work. If not, we haven't lost anything, and I've given my polite regards to the Whitfoots.

Regin
Old 03-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #196
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Regin- feel free to include Elsa's response when you fill your save; staring blankly is good. After a bit of road time, she and Kalimac are going to have a little chat.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:23 AM   #197
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just checking in to remind the players that this game was started on March 6th and was scheduled to run 9 weeks.

Halfway point for the game should be around April 7th.

End date should be the weekend of May 8th - 9th.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #198
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Ack! Must go! Must go! We're still on our first night/second day right?

Last edited by ArwenBaggins; 03-29-2004 at 10:44 AM. Reason: made a mistake
Old 03-29-2004, 12:16 PM   #199
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Alak,

Please check your pms.

Everyone,

We do need to push forward to the action as Alak suggested. But don't panic. Folk are posting regularly and we will definitely have the option of narrative time condense posts along the trail. We don't have to act out every moment of the trip.

As the disaster specialist waiting in the wings, I am looking forward to your speedy arrival at your next campsite. I love making things miserable for folk.

Child
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 PM   #200
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Moving right along...

I have put up a SAVE in which I will do a general narrative of the day's journey. I am going to post on the argument once they have arrived (you'll see what I mean when it's up). What I'm going to do is change the nature of the argument slightly. Instead of the two families arguing separately, we are going to focus it in on the money situation. Elsa is angry that Kal didn't tell her; Kal is angry Harold told his wife; Sarah and Fordo aren't going to stand back and let the Whitfoots jump on Harold. You get it.

While the adults are arguing, Henry and May can slip into the forest with Crispin and Alora, allowing us to work in all of our plans without spreading it out too long.

My post will be up late this afternoon, EST.

Memory - Please check your PMs.

Thanks to Pio for posting our game dates here...it's good to have a reminder once in a while.

Let's get this game rolling!

~ Alak