The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
CaptainFaramir13
Newly Deceased

CaptainFaramir13 has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf Frodo’s other friend

We all know of Frodo’s fellow hobbit friends, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Fredegar (Fatty.) But the Fellowship of the Ring actually mentions another friend of Frodo, Folco Boffin, who helps Frodo pack up Bag End for his move to Crickhollow. This is the only mention of Folco in the series, we don’t even know if he survived the Scouring of the Shire. I wonder what happened to him. Why do you think he is never mentioned again? Did Tolkien forget about him? What do you think happened to him?
CaptainFaramir13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, Fatty is more of a footnote too. I guess Folco was even more Fatty than Fatty, if you get my meaning.

I guess that for whatever reason he was excluded from the conspiracy, and, not having such close ties to the 4 main hobbits as, say, Farmer Cotton, he does not make any further appearance onstage.

As to what happened to him - my answer would be: that's what fanfic is for.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I've noticed Folco too! I think he's a great example of the way Professor Tolkien adds more depth to his world. It's not just in terms of references to The Silmarillion and events of ancient history; we get observable indications that, for instance, Frodo's circle of friends extends further than just the main hobbits of the story.
Given the confusion over which hobbit went with what name and so on in the drafting of the early chapters I'm not surprised there's a character who shows up and disappears again. That being said I think it enhances the realism somewhat; was Folco even in on the plan? Perhaps not.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigűr View Post
That being said I think it enhances the realism somewhat; was Folco even in on the plan? Perhaps not.
I would say he was not in the know about the Ring. If he had been, one would think he would have had some role in helping more than helping Frodo pack.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In terms of the external history of The Lord of the Rings, Folco Boffin is something of a leftover from the shifting identities of the Hobbits in the early drafts.

The evolution of the primary Hobbit characters (Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, and to some extent Fatty) in LotR is astoundingly complex, and is traced by Christopher Tolkien in all its Byzantine detail in volumes VI and VII of HoMe. The invention, deletion, combination, renaming, and shifting of roles of the Hobbit characters in the early drafts really is quite amazing to a reader familiar only with the final version of the book, and it is an interesting window into Tolkien's sometimes strange writing habits.

Anyway, without delving too deeply into the mire, I believe the origin of Folco Boffin is more or less as follows.

There was early on a character named 'Frodo Took' who was one of the main companions of Bingo Baggins, as the main character was then named. When the name of the main character 'Bingo' was changed to 'Frodo', Frodo Took needed a new name, and so he became Folco Took (originally 'Folco' was the name of Frodo Took's father). Now, in the early stages another of the main companions was a comic character named 'Odo' - at first he was 'Odo Took', later 'Odo Bolger'. Odo's character was eventually removed, and much of his dialogue and personality was transferred to Folco Took. So Folco Took is in a sense the later version of both Frodo Took and of Odo Bolger. (A bit later, the name 'Folco' was changed to 'Faramond', but then it was changed back).

Now, in the early drafts, the companions meet a strange Hobbit in Bree called 'Trotter'. Tolkien had a hard time deciding who this Trotter really was. At one point, he invented a new character, Peregrin Boffin, a favourite cousin/nephew of Bilbo who had disappeared mysteriously some years before the story begins. Trotter would then turn out to be none other than this Peregrin Boffin. But after many permutations, 'Trotter' became 'Strider', and he became a Man rather than a Hobbit; and so the story of Peregrin Boffin's disappearance was cut out. But the character Peregrin Boffin was not completely deleted; he instead became a young friend of Frodo.

The final stage was an exchange of roles: instead of Folco Took, it becomes Peregrin Boffin who will accompany Frodo to Crickhollow. Folco Took now 'went home after lunch'. But with this change, there is no Took in the party, and Tolkien apparently felt there should be, so he switched their surnames: Folco Boffin, who goes home after lunch, and Peregrin Took, who accompanies Frodo.

So that is, at least externally, the story of Folco Boffin.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 06-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
What fun to see this question coming up after it was submerged for many years! I too was fascinated with the fact that Folco disappears without a clue, even when Fatty and others reappear at the end of the story.

Here is the very old thread (posted 11 years ago!) for those who'd like to do some forum archeology.

Aiwendil's explanation sums up the reasons from outside the story very well, but for some reason my curiosity led me to follow what G55 recommended, writing a fan fiction about his fate. It's called To Everything ... Time and is posted on the Downs' own fan fiction forum. Alas, lack of time (or rather, too many other irons in the fire) led to its untimely abandonment somewhere in Chapter 6. I keep telling myself I'll finish it someday, since I do have ideas for the further plot and ending, but this is not the day/week/month/year...

Does anyone know of other good Folco fan fiction? I'd love to see what ideas they have!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
The evolution of the primary Hobbit characters (Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, and to some extent Fatty) in LotR is astoundingly complex, and is traced by Christopher Tolkien in all its Byzantine detail in volumes VI and VII of HoMe. The invention, deletion, combination, renaming, and shifting of roles of the Hobbit characters in the early drafts really is quite amazing to a reader familiar only with the final version of the book, and it is an interesting window into Tolkien's sometimes strange writing habits.
Until reading those parts of HOME myself, I had wondered about (and considered beginning a thread here to discuss) the apparent risk involved with the four hobbits leaving in the Shire at least one other who knew all about the Ring, who had it, and where they were going. I was pleasantly surprised to find that in early drafts the Ringwraiths had indeed captured the "Fatty" prototype and spirited him away.

I would think that might have been a factor in the planning conducted by Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin: having Fatty stay behind with all his knowledge was enough, and there was no need to further involve any other of Frodo's friends any more than necessary.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
Well judging from the LOTR appendices

Folco seems to have survived the War of The Ring, he is listed as being born in S.R 1378, but has no date of death, nor is he mentioned in The Scouring of The Shire despite being one of Frodo's friends.

I couldn't help but notice on the Boffin family tree he is listed as having a cousin called Fredegar son of Herugar Bolger-although this isn't (as far as I can tell) the same Fredegar as'Fatty' perhaps it possibly indicates Tolkien got him mixed up? i.e perhaps Folco as a cousin or friend of this Fredegar, was intended to be captured by Sharkey's Men and imprisoned with 'Fatty' in the Lockholes? Random thought and probably wrong, but this does seem to be one of the more obvious loose ends (after Bombadil of course)...
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote