The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #121
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Well.. once The Barrow Wight re-energizes and starts posting new stories again (igf he does), then it could go here. But til then... well, you could post it at GreenBooks at TheOneRing.net (a cool place) or... there are others. If you have a website of your own you can of course post it there.

But you've got to write it first! And I think you'd have fun doing so.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #122
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My Guinevere, that is a lovely story. I'm sad that the german versions lose something in the translation, but I can see it, I suppose. Words can be things of beauty. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I must say it's the visual impressions the words stir in my mind, that drives my passion for Tolkien. Some love the plot(s), some the languages, I love the descriptions of natural things, and think in terms of art when reading. What a wonderful fiftieth birthday gift, the works of JRR Tolkien! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #123
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Guinevere, you are most welcome here - yes, Tolkien fans of our age and gender seem to be somewhat rare in German-speaking countries! That's why I appreciate this opportunity to exchange opinions and just enjoy talking about the books and movies with others. This site is worth the effort of improving our computer/internet abilities! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It's nice to "see" new faces coming in - I'm enjoying reading about all of you so much. Thanks for sharing with us!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:50 PM   #124
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you so much, Estelyn, for leading me to this thread, it's wonderful.
(Just read your post yesterday.)

Greetings all! Thanks everyone, for sharing your stories with us.
It has brought back a lot of memories. Unfortunately, though,
I have been puzzling over how old I was when I read LoTR...I believe I
was around 12 or so. My copy of it is the gold Ballantine boxed set with
Tolkien's heraldry on it. The books say 1977, but I think I received them
as a gift after reading it. I'm currently 39.

It's easier to recall, the 2 chairs I was glued to that summer,
and my dissapointment upon finishing them. Sign of my cresting the hill
I suppose.

The mentions of D&D made me smile too. I have a lot of memories of my
brother, a serious historical wargamer to this day, disparing over how
the D&Dr's have taken over the clubs & conventions. Then we had this
delightful D&Dr living with our family for a few years. He used to make
us laugh so hard, with his stories! Good memories.

At anyrate, though LoTR was lodged in my heart I avoided reading it for
fear that I wouldn't like it as well a second time around.
After seeing the the movie last winter and finding that I didn't remember
it quite like that, I decided to read the tale to my 9 yr old. I fell
in love with the story all over again, (and my daughter fell asleep).
Actually, my daughter liked the Hobbit, but I think the attention to detail in LoTR
made her eyes glaze over. I will try again in a year or two.

The purity of spirit and vivid descriptions...sigh....

As a youth I had read:
The Hobbit
LoTR
Farmer Giles
Sir Gawain
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
The Father Christmas Stories
Silmarillion

Lately I have read:
Roverandom

Now Reading UT and think it's amazing! Next on to HoME.

But I've rambled on long enough. And I'm much more comfortable reading than writing!

Quote:
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.
[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #125
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Hilde Bracegirdle , Guinevere &Brigid de Burgo .

Guinevere, Your husband sounds like mine; tollerant, even encouraging my "Tolkien-ness" but not having read it himself. He buys me everything he sees with Tolkien's name on it and listens me to talk about it all, but won't read the books for himself.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #126
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

This little story was posted in a long-ago thread, but (and welcome to all you new folks) here it is for those who haven't read it.
.................flashback...................
About Me
Goodness, where do I start.....
32,female.
Saw the cartoon "The Hobbit" at about 6.
At about 12, had the book "The Two Towers" left in my lap when the bell rang and the friend who'd gotten it in the school library took off, so I read it...then I figured I'd better begin at the beginning...
Said friend said that she and a freind in her "old neighborhood" had taken on roles of the characters, my friend was Merry, her old friend Pippin. After little thought, I became Sam. He was near and dear to my heart then and he still is.
A moment that makes me chuckle: My friend "Merry" once said: "I've got to go over to the cafeteria." and headed off. Not being told not to, I followed. She turned to me and said, "Hm. Maybe I ought to be Frodo, too, 'cause you seem to keep wanting to follow me around! "
There. Secret shared.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #127
redshelob

Silmaril

Alright: For awhile there I thought I might be the only one who read The Hobbit and LOTR before the '70s. My Mother was a teacher and heaven forebid I read Tolkien, but I did. Soon to be a grandmother reading bedtime stories from the Hobbit and LOTR. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:00 PM   #128
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

Congratulations on Grandmotherhood, Redshelob. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2003, 04:30 PM   #129
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Thanks for the fan-fic posting advice...of course, I do have to write the thing first. Or finish writing it - I was a very good girl (& also had a beer too many) & started it at least.

So thanks for the encouragement too!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #130
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I'm proud of you for starting, Alphaelin ! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2003, 06:28 PM   #131
redshelob

Silmaril

Raefindel, it is obvious you are a valued forum leader and caring person. Us newbies appreciate the interest. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #132
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

(ahem) It's Here. Red box set, ballantine Tolkien art covers... just like I had when I was twelve. ***THANKS MITH***

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-03-2004 at 03:36 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #133
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had joined the Navy in 73; someone left a copy of THE HOBBIT out on a table. {Gear adrift}. Stargate alignment ,,,Hobbiton ,,, I was in ! Later that week while riding in a buddy`s car, Led Zepplin was in the eight track [remember those] and the words “darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair” hit me square between the ears.Hey play that again!!!!! By the end of the night they were glad to get me out of the car.I was not invited to go out on liberty with them again. I was so excited!! I tried to explain my discovery to my friends. The best response I got was “Yaaaa maaan that’s cool”. My frustrations turned to anger .How can anyone not savor this geniuses offering. I would walk away muttering” Unread heathen infidel!, not fit to breath Eru’s air”. Many years and many readings have mellowed my temperament and it’s ok to say JRRT is not for everyone, but those of us who enjoy Tolkiens works, what a blessing! For years I begrudgingly accepted the fact that my enjoyment would be a solitary sojourn. {Funding issues, parental obligations, work etc}. The excitement is rekindled I have discovered brothers and sisters {in the word} so to speak!!!
I read The Hobbit to my children for a bedtime story. They don’t remember the story line but they tell me they remember the readings. We live on a small pond and on clear nights we would all pile into the row boat and head out the middle. I would tell the story of Feanor and the jewels, We would all see if we could find Vingilot with the Silmaril on Earendil`s brow ,then point out the great sickle and explain it’s ominous threat to Morgorth. Some nights Tilion would be sailing the heavens and of course that required a full explanation and discussion. I’ve been waiting for that dreadful phone call from the school astronomy department.

My youngest [17] finished ROK last night; It was a bittersweet event “I don’t want the story to be over”. I handed her a fresh copy of the SIL. My two oldest have read the trilogy while the oldest has the SIL under his belt.

After I read your post, Bethberry, [9/24] Want to give you a hug and tell you” you have my sword”. , Estelyn Telcontar, thank you for the welcome note and the directions, I do enjoy the thread, read through it several times. Hi Arwen Imladris !

Fair winds and following seas to all

Alquadae
Old 01-13-2003, 09:48 PM   #134
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

alquadae, Greetin's!
Whew, our numbers are growing... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-13-2003, 11:37 PM   #135
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Raefindel, it is obvious you are a valued forum leader and caring person. Us newbies appreciate the interest.
LOL! I've never considered myself a leader of anything before! But thanks for the boost!

Welcome to the Downs,alquadae.

Helen, I'm glad you got your Books!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #136
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Congratulations, Mark 12_30!

To all the newcomers who have found their way to this thread, welcome!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:32 AM   #137
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Does anyone have an old, old Hobbit? I mean the one before Tolkien made the changes to Gollum and Riddles in the Dark. I would love one of those, but the prices on e-bay make me faint.

I do have a sturdy old library binding labelled "twentieth printing" (no year is given--picked it up long ago at a rummage sale) that includes a special note at the front where the author explains he has made certain changes in his revised volume:

Quote:
... More important is the matter of Chapter 5. There the true story of the ending of the Riddle Game, as it was eventually revealed (under pressure) by Bilbo to Gandalf, is now given according to the Red Book, in place of the version Bilbo first gave to his friends, and actually set down in his diary. This departure from truth on the part of a most honest hobbit was a portent of great significance. It does not, however, concern the present story, and those who in this edition make their first acquaintance with hobbit-lore need not trouble about it. Its explanation lies in the history of the Ring, as it is set out in the chronicles of the Red Book of Westmarch, and it must await their publication.
I love that reference. Whenever I read it, I feel I am standing at a small round window, peering into a burrow, where I have a glimpse of JRRT sitting at his desk and working on the Red Book!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:55 AM   #138
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Alphaelin, does this mean we don't get day 5 of The Secret Diary of Clive, Evil Twin of Faramir?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #139
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have one, Child. Its a first edition, fourth printing by Allen Unwin from 1948. Its also printed under wartime standards, so its an undersized hardcover, designed to save paper.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #140
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Wow, Mith! Now that's an heirloom... I'm with Sharon, I've always been a little curious about the original story "that Bilbo told the dwarves".

I just ordered an "Annotated Hobbit", but I chose slow-shipping... You'd think that that would have been in there. I'm a bit surprised that it's apparently not, since I believe Sharon does have a copy?

Welcome to the newcomers... this is great fun, to see you all weighing in, and such a very refreshingly mature tone of discussion!

A question I'm fond of asking: how has Tolkien's works affected your world view and your framework of belief? Tolkien has said that he setout to write a myth, and his concept of myth was a vehicle to let the truth shine through. Have any of you experienced that, and to what degree?

To put a completley different twist on the question, is there something from Tolkien's work that you always wished that you could do or be (maybe you role-play it even now) and what about that reflects what you want or wish for, or strive for, or pursue?

Does that reveal something about Tolkien, something about you, or both?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #141
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Sharon, I got curious-- you're right, the originals are Nosebleed-altitude-expensive... but--check this out. If this means what I think it does, then would this do?

Quote:
UP FOR BIDS HERE IS THE ANNOTATED EDITION OF THE HOBBIT -COPYRIGHT 1988. THIS COMPREHENSIVE HARDCOVER BOOK CONTAINS MANY OF TOLKIEN'S PERSONAL ILLUSTRATIONS AND MANY OTHERS FROM FOREIGN EDITION INTERPRETATIONS. AN APPENDIX DETAILS ALL OF TOLKIEN'S REVISIONS ALSO. BLACK AND WHITE PICTURES. 337 PAGES. TEXT BOOK SIZE BOOK MEASURES 11"x8.5". NEVER READ AND IN MINT CONDITION. A GREAT INTRODUCTION AND WONDERFUL STORY WHICH PREDATES THE LORD OF THE RINGS. GREAT FOR GENERAL READERS, FANS OF CHILDRENS LITERATURE, FANTASY MINDS, AND TOLKIEN LOVERS. A TRUE CLASSIC.
Now, does anybody out there have this 1988 edition and if so, is the Original Riddle Game in it? Does The modern Annotated Hobbit also have the revisions? (mine's on order... til Feb?)

If this isn't the answer, then .... Mith, what would the rules be (legally speaking) for you scanning it or typing it in or something like that? Any copyright violations?

Sharon, maybe Mith will just have to throw an Original Riddle Game Party, or something like that. Hey, sounds good; Riddle Party at Mith's house. Er-- Mith-- did you say you were in middle latitudes? At the beach? In 80 degree weather??? Hmm, this could work!

Sharon, one last question-- where in HoME does it say that Bingo goes westward to live in a hut and then sails west?

By the way Sharon if you want more info about that auction, PM me. It's a lot more reasonable than a vintage auction.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #142
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hey! Today is Helen's anniversary! One year at the Downs! Congratulations!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #143
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

<center>
Congrats!!!!!
</center>
Old 01-15-2003, 12:19 AM   #144
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Does anyone have an old, old Hobbit?
Sharon - Here's the search page for ABEBooks.com, I site I love for hunting old books. Unfortunately, anything earlier than the 1960s you're gonna have to take out a second mortgage to afford.
abebooks.com book search

So what year did Tolkien revise "The Hobbit"?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:49 AM   #145
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Yes, I do have the Annotated Hobbit. In fact, I have two--the one just out, and the earlier one from 1988. And both do contain the earlier versions of the story, which is fun.

This may make me sound looney toons, but I want the older volume for the 'feel' of it, not the intellectual content. Perhaps this is because I've taught history and worked in an archives at different times in my life. I like old things because they are old, and they have a certain aura about them. (Little men in white coats coming to carry Child away....)

Mith, Oooh! I'm green with envy. Perhaps I'll have to wait until I inherit an unexpected fortune, which is not likely to be soon!

Thank you Bird and Helen for the references. Occasionally, I have stumbled onto nice things, but no 1948 Hobbits! Nine months ago I found a first edition, first printing of The Lost Road for 5$ in a local secondhand bookstore when it was going on e-bay for up to $100. That was nice! And Abe books is sometimes helpful. I was able to replace my defunct Road to Middle-earth which I couldn't find anywhere else.

Ok, I admit it. Over the years, I've collected a thing or two. Not the good stuff, but lots of comforting junk! For LotR, I still have my 60s Ballantines in miserable shape, one soggy Ace volume, and also my second edition, 10th printing hardbacks (minus the box!), but sadly nothing older. I do have the one-volume edition from the early nineties illustrated by Lee, and more recently the red leatherbound collectors edition, also one volume.

As you can see, I like older books. In fact (cowers down in her seat), I have one whole bookcase filled with LotR stuff that I've gotten over the years. None of it would probably be worth anything with a bookdealer, but I like 'em! Criticism, fun stuff, even coloring books and older calendars. I have a plethora of Hobbits in particular, but none of them are that old. Oh, yeah, I still do have a couple of those crazy 'sixties pins like Gandalf for President and Frodo Lives plus the Bodleian Library posters of Taniquetil (my favorite) and Bilbo on the barrels.

It's amazing the kind of stuff one collects in a lifetime. My Tolkien bookcase happily coexists with one my husband has that is filled with Brooklyn Dodger things. So we have a very ecumenical household.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #146
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Samwise and Rae, thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sharon-- I wish I hadn't purged all my old stuff. I had some way cool posters. THe one I miss the most (because I saw it at ebay and it was too much!) is the map of Middle-Earth with the poster (the original ballantine covers that Tolkien hated with the Emus and pink eggplants on the tree) wrapped around it as a border. That's the poster I used to stare at (endlessly) and imagine visiting the Blue Mountains, and the unexplored (by me, so far) edges of Gondor and Rohan, and the upper vales of the Misty Mountains, and Lake Evendim (yes!) and The Tower Hills and of course Mithlond and Forlond and Harlond and.... oh, all those places that he didn't tell us about. Elves must hide there, or hobbits, or perhaps some good Numenorean descendants...

Yeah, the old stuff is fun. I know what you mean about old books. I have my great-great-(great?)- grandfather's bible, and his autobiography (wonderful man, can't wait to meet him) and I love skimming through his bible, wondering what he thought of as he read the page I'm on. But mostly it sits on the shelf and reminds me of him.

For a while on ebay I resisted the temptation to bid on the old poster-cover ballantine edition, precisely because Tolkien was so irritated with the emus and eggplants, but finally I did buy a set-- because my older siblings had those volumes kicking around, and I remember them. Memory lane.

Maybe that's why The Cottage of Lost Play yanks at us so. (Sharon, I miss seeing it in your sig.)
Old 01-15-2003, 08:54 AM   #147
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
As you can see, I like older books. In fact (cowers down in her seat), I have one whole bookcase filled with LotR stuff...
Hmmmmmm...(Birdie flashes open her overcoat, revealing her first release, 2-4th printings of the 1950s U.S. LoTR) "Pssst! Hey lady, over here. Near mint. For you, a special price: $2000. C'mon, ya know you want 'em!"
Old 01-15-2003, 09:35 AM   #148
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen,

I had that very same poster up in my college dorm room! It's the one that looks as if the author was experimenting with something he/she shouldn't have been. Similar to the paperback covers on my Ballantine books. My poster got so tattered and ripped that it ended up in the wastebasket.

As far as my sig goes, I am in the Shire so much where I need to delete it for the RPG games. I can never remember consistently to do that which would not be a good example for other folk. So I've temporarily put it into mental storage and will retrieve it again when things settle down.

Oh, Bird, that home improvement stuff must be costing a bundle if you are offering to barter your books! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Don't worry though. At that price, they are perfectly safe from me.

sharon

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-15-2003, 09:52 AM   #149
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Talking collecting, huh? I'm an addict though I'm now more selective than I used to be. I have:

The Hobbit Collecter's Edition (50th Anniversary gold leatherette box and covers;
LoTR Collectors Edition;
Ballantine Gold Box Hobbit and LoTR;
Hobbit, 1st Ed. 4th Printing (the last with the original riddle game);
Box Set, LoTR hardcover, 2nd Edition 9th Printing;
1st reprint Folio Society LoTR;
Simarillion, 1st US;
Unfinished Tales, 1st US;
HoME 1-12 hardcovers (US), all 1st Ed., mostly 1st printings;
Atlas of Middle Earth (hardcover);
Pictures by Tolkien, 1st US;
Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator (hardcover);
The Road Goes Ever On, 1st US;
Tolkien Reader;
The Jewel of Arwen (Marion Zimmer Bradley);
Vinyar Tengwar (miscellaneous);
Sindarin Lexicon (Tolkien Society);
The Alphabet of Rumil and Early Noldorin Fragments (Parma Eldalamberon XIII);
Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference;
Annotated Hobbit (hardback); and
Various copies of LoTR and The Hobbit and a few softcover HoME volumes.

Sick, huh?
Old 01-15-2003, 09:56 AM   #150
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Helen and Sharon: Me too! I loved that poster, with the Fellowship marching away from the viewer at the top, and the Nine Wraiths riding after them at the bottom.

Long gone, of course. Wish I had found it when we cleaned out Mom's attic. Fortunately, "collector's mentality" did not exist back then. You enjoyed things for the time, then moved on. "Mint, in the box" is a phrase I have grown to loathe.

Hey, you know, I don't think I've officially joined this club. (Birdie stands) "Ahem...Yes, I was there, too. I Grok Frodo!"
Old 01-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #151
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

It's about time you came in here, Birdie! I was just about to post an APB on you!

Mithadan- I hope you plan on including these items in your will-that represents a great deal of money! I suppose that goes for all of you collectors. I have a really old copy of Jane Eyre...

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 01-15-2003, 12:01 PM   #152
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Referring back to the question that you are so fond of asking, Mark12_30….
It’s sort of like asking whether the chicken or the egg come first.
Tolkien’s work is extremely encouraging in an discouraging age.

I’ve always admired in LoTR how the company pressed on and did what is right, not what is is easy or comfortable, despite of overwhelming odds and corruption. They
ran the race regardless of what the outcome or personal cost might be.

PS Does anyone know a reliable way to get the musty smell out of old books?
Old 01-15-2003, 12:38 PM   #153
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Birdie, m'dear, welcome to the club; "Grok Frodo Aye! At Ease!"

...and now, please go here:

just the map, nice and big

and then go here

The Poster With Fellowship and ringwraiths

And have a ball. I just wish they had the one with the "druggie" emu & eggplant border... but I LOVE this one too (I have a color printer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mith-- is it all in a glass case? Is there a picture of your collection online? (hint)

Hilde Bracegirdle, to get the musty smell out of old books, I put them into a large plastic bag with some ammonia (not touching the book, you just want the fumes) and leave it for ... as long as it takes.

However, I've been working on a George Macdonald paperback (Princess and Curdie) and it didn't work and didn't work. I finally had to immerse it in the ammonia. Now the book is drying clamped flat between two boards by the woodstove. I don't know whether the book will survive this draconian torture or not. I don't recommend this method unless the book is so mildewed that it's headed for the trash (like this one is, and my old Ballantine trilogy, which I didnt think of trying this on.) I'm fighting so hard for the Princess and Curdie because the cover art is by Pauline Baynes!

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #154
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Oh my gosh I recognize the poster with the ring wraiths! (Can’t imagine what the emus and eggplants one would look like, but my curiosity is definitely piqued.)

Thanks for the help I will try the ammonia. My husband and I spent many years living out of boxes and some of my old friends are a little worse off for it.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #155
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Glad to be of assistance, Ms. Bracegirdle!

On The HObbit: In the letters he's talking about the revisions in 1950, so I'd guess the revisions were printed 1951?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #156
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh Man! I haven't seen those posters in Aeons!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #157
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

A barrow's a fine and private place, yet here do many with fraternity embrace. (Sorry, Estelyn, I'm Donne with bad puns now.) Welcome to all those new Downers who have come of age.

My book collection confession is made with some wry embarassment. As I posted earlier, my old editions of Tolkien never made it through successive moves, yet we have just now discovered, in one of our many boxes of books hoarded away in the basement, my husband's old edition of Bored with the Rings.

I thank you, Alquadae, for your words and your courtesy. This November brought the last sail. No reading to hold time at bay this year, watching death's play for dominion. Still, the defeat is not complete.

Bethberry
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #158
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Here is One place you can see the emus and eggplants

It's not the map, though, it's scanned book covers, but you get the idea. There was a big (4 foot? 6 foot??) poster that was those three pictures seamlessly integrated. Then if you can imagine that artwork rearranged all the way around the border of the map (Shire on the lefthand side, Mordor on the righthand side, other stuff stretched above and below) that was basically it; and the map was done in such lovely faded blue colors for the mountain ranges...
Old 01-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #159
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Ah yes, now I remember those book covers! (How could I have forgotten them!) Many thanks.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 PM   #160
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hoof! :lands hard:

Hmmm... Level 15. I didn't even know this place was down here.

:looks around:

Well, hey! I know a whole lot of you! Nice to see you all here! How come noboby told me?

:whimpers in self-pity then slaps self across face:

Sorry. I coulda looked.

Okay. I think some of you may know my little story from other threads.

One night at bedtime, way back in 1968, my brother H. said he'd like to read me a chapter from the best story he'd ever found (if you consider it as prequel to LotR and therefore part of it). He proceeded to read to me Riddles in the Dark from The Hobbit. I am indebted to him for that wonderful experience. Next day, I picked up the book for myself and read the whole thing through, I don't know how long it took me, but I savored Riddles in the Dark for the second time, on my own. It has remained one of my favorite chapters (I really need to read it again). I moved on to LotR, but was frankly too young, and when I got to Minas Tirith in RotK, I got bored with the description of the place, and set the books down for a couple years. I never lost my enthusiasm for Middle Earth, though. I finished RotK when I was 13. Lessee, that puts my completion at 30 years ago. I have since read LotR 6 times, the Hobbit about 3 times all the way through, and scanned both for reference regularly. As I said, it changed my life and baptized my imagination. Okay. I've put in my 2 cents and will now go back and read through the thread and catch up.

:doffs cap and zig zags back down a few corridors, and calls out before he gets out of hearing distance:

Yeah, I did AD&D too. I plagiarized Tolkien's world, making much of the two Blue Wizards, dungeon mastering feebly but enthusiastically.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote