The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #3601
Ohtariel
Newly Deceased

Ohtariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Ohtariel
Well hello all.

I'm Ohtariel. I'm currently in the market for a new place to RP and new people to RP with, so hopefully I won't have to look any further. It has been a long search. One I would be glad to end.

I'm 20 years old now, but have been rpg since I was 12 or 13... can't remember now. I'd like to think my writing has improved since then, but I'm never quite satisfied with my posts so I'll let you guys be the judge of that. Not that you have any of my writing from when I first started... thank good ness. No comparisons!

And thats enough of that.

Your RPG rules look rather complex but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Just gotta sit down with some coffee. Anywho! Looking forward to meeting you all.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #3602
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome! A shield maiden I presume!!

RPG is a bit quiet at the moment (must knuckle down to a post today) but I for one would love it to be more lively. Usually you start at the Golden Perch ... but that was stymied by an anachronistic post.. maybe if there are a few people interested we could ask for an advancement in time to give a break from the old plot lines and make a fairly fresh start? Otherwise you could go to the Meadhall but I don't know what is going on there ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #3603
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Welcome Ohtariel,

I hope you will find a suitable place here in our barrow and that you will make new friends among the dead.

Personally I hope to see you in the Mirth section.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #3604
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome Ohtariel, hobbitatheart and The Great Bronsky! Hope to see you all posting around a lot.

PS. As for the Scarburg Meadhall, it's been a bit quiet recently but it's the RPG around here that never dies...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 10-05-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: as Aganzir (and Legate) kindly pointed out to me, I welcomed a spambot. :( I wonder why I didn't pay any attention AT ALL...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #3605
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A big LOL at Lommy.

Welcome to all the new members that are not trying to advertise suspicious websites.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #3606
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Welcome to all the new members that are not trying to advertise suspicious websites.
Especially when they're advertising the same website as recently banned spammers and have the same MO of quoting other posters.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #3607
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Especially when they're advertising the same website as recently banned spammers and have the same MO of quoting other posters.
I agree with you.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #3608
Babidi Buu
Wight

Babidi Buu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Babidi Buu
The Eye Oh no, she's back..

Remember someone by the name of Babidi Buu? The one that always obsessed over Gothmog the Orc from Return of the King?

She's back.. Not a new member, but i decided to make a post here because i have not been on here in a long time.

Thing's have gotten very busy in real and i haven't really had much time to come on here(That and the previous hard drive went bye-bye so i have to do everything from scratch). Well, i finally got the chance and decided to come back.

She has also come back with some roleplaying skills(Been roleplaying as the "Forgotten One" of Disney Characters: The Horned King. You wouldn't know him unless you've seen "The Black Cauldron". NOT a populer Disney movie). Still a bit rusty, but she's getting the hang of it. Would like to try my hand at roleplaying Gothmog, so if you know of the right place for me to go, let me know..

But that is not why i came back. I don't really know much about which characters are safe to RP as so im not sure if it is alright to RP as Gothy. But I came back because i really missed this place and was hoping to get the chance to come back.

Heya! Babidi Buu has returned.. And she still has the same Gothy-Avy. Scary, isn't it?

Last edited by Babidi Buu; 10-08-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Babidi Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #3609
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Mae Govannen, mellyn. I've been a lurker here for quite some time, and finally decided to join. Hope to meet fellow LoTR fans (be you hardcore or not)! It's been quite some time since I've picked up one of the books, so my knowledge is a little rusty.

...Okay, well, a LOT rusty. =\ But I know enough to get by.

I do RP and have been since I was 13, but that doesn't mean I'm an expert. =| I will admit, even though I've been RPing for a while, I need work.

~xMellrynxMaidenx
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 10-10-2010 at 06:13 AM.
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3610
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Welcome back, Babidi Boo, and welcome to death (sorry if that sounds morbid ) Mellryn!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #3611
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome xMellrynxMaidenx! Enjoy being dead, and don't complain if someone has more worms than you do
Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #3612
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Mae Govannen,
Well it’s been 2 years since my last post; I have been lurking but just have not had much time to contribute. I hope to rectify that with my renewed love of all things Tolkien.

I have just started to reread the Sil < my E-mail account got a message from the sil project dating back to 2008…and it made me want to reread the series.

Anyway I hope to be a more productive member of the community so if you want to chat send me a pm.

Oh and welcome xMellrynxMaidenx! I am sure you will get years of enjoyment from the downs, I know I have
Old 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #3613
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welcome back, Alk.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #3614
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
Hello Guys! My name is Almesiva Moonshadow,and I am new here,
so I just wanted to stop by and say Hi to you all!

Almesiva Moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #3615
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Almesiva.

Enjoy yourself, and post often!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #3616
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you Inziladun,I most certainly will post often.
Cheers.
Almesiva Moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #3617
davidwilsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilwen Gamgee View Post
Yes! More new, freshly dead bodies! Enjoy thy death and enjoy hanging out with the rest of us "LotR" and Tolkien fans! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck with your book, Ascavása!
Hi yall, Welcome. Have fun here, we are all dead! All dead! Oh yeah, I am a New mexico person, that is part of the US for those who don't know. But anyway, just thaught I would Welcome the Newly Deads.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #3618
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Not exactly new here (I've been hanging around for YEARS) but more like returning after an extended absence from the Tolkien study (you can thank dual English/History degrees for that, but I don't regret it for a moment) and for exceptionally declining vision (worrisome for someone of my young age). Thankfully, a large portion of the more important books of Tolkien's creation are now available as eBooks so I can enlarge the font for easier reading (and not carry around such heavy tomes!).

So enough with my rambling! I'm ready to get back into some discussions!
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #3619
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyrana Silumiel View Post
Not exactly new here (I've been hanging around for YEARS) but more like returning after an extended absence from the Tolkien study (you can thank dual English/History degrees for that, but I don't regret it for a moment) and for exceptionally declining vision (worrisome for someone of my young age). Thankfully, a large portion of the more important books of Tolkien's creation are now available as eBooks so I can enlarge the font for easier reading (and not carry around such heavy tomes!).

So enough with my rambling! I'm ready to get back into some discussions!
Nice to have you back! The more sleepy undead that arise to stalk this Barrow once more, the better.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #3620
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Nice to have you back! The more sleepy undead that arise to stalk this Barrow once more, the better.
Thank you! I've been silently stalking for a while. Thought it was about time to pop out of the woodwork once more.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #3621
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I'm back.

It was many and many a year ago...since my last post. I blame real life and college. But even they cannot keep me away forever!

(What was that you said about sleepy undead, Inziladun?)
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #3622
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter View Post
Well, I'm back.

It was many and many a year ago...since my last post. I blame real life and college. But even they cannot keep me away forever!

(What was that you said about sleepy undead, Inziladun?)

It's amazing how often those same excuses for our absences come up, isn't it?

Welcome back!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #3623
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyrana Silumiel View Post
It's amazing how often those same excuses for our absences come up, isn't it?

Welcome back!
Why thank you!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #3624
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, both of you.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #3625
ronald clark

I am a big LOTR fan, and new to the site. I have watched all three installments including the director's cut edition with a few free hours of unseen footage. I simply love all the character sets, the characters, and the plot itself. The place is absolutely amazing. I watched it on a high def surround sound system and I felt like I was in the film. Anyway, If I need some stuff to do to join groups or clans here, just let me know because I'm going to be staying here for a while. =)

Ronald Clark
Vitamix | Vita mix 5200 reviews | Vitamix Recipes
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #3626
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald clark View Post
I am a big LOTR fan, and new to the site. I have watched all three installments including the director's cut edition with a few free hours of unseen footage. I simply love all the character sets, the characters, and the plot itself. The place is absolutely amazing.
But what of the lack of professional-grade blenders, featuring state-of-the art stainless steel blades and backed by fast, friendly and competent customer service? MordorMix™ is, IMHO, a very inferior brand, and when I tried calling 1-800-PALANTIR for support the person on the other end seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, kept asking me to pass on a message to someone named "Saruman", laughed horribly at me and hung up. I certainly won't be buying from that firm again in a hurry, I can tell you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald "Vitamix" clark View Post
I watched it on a high def surround sound system and I felt like I was in the film.
Really? How were you able to survive the change of diet, after being used to living entirely on super-delicious smoothies that deliver over 9000 times the nutritional value of ordinary food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald "I ♥ smoothies" clark View Post
Anyway, If I need some stuff to do to join groups or clans here, just let me know because I'm going to be staying here for a while. =)

Ronald Clark

*links to blender sites go here*
See you 'round, Ron!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #3627
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello everyone,

Technically I am not NEW new I am sort of OLD new. I was here several ages ago (about 4-5 years) under a different name. Its been a very long time, but I kind of started missing this place.

I come now under a new name because looking back I was rather whiny and self-serving. I am older and wiser now.....well at least older.

Anyway, Dilettante is the name, you can shorten that however you like. (It should have been Intergalactic Dilettante, but that wouldn't fit in the box). Middle-Earth is by no means new to me, and I love it as much now as the day I discovered it.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #3628
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I've not a clue who you were in your previous incarnation, but welcome back!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #3629
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm a long time Tolkien fan, very much into things in my youth, not so much for the last few decades. Last three years I've joined a Middle Earth based role playing game and am getting back into it. I've lurked in the past, but have become more active lately.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #3630
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hi, blantyr! Enjoy being dead with us!

*Don't get freaked out; it's the website joke.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #3631
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Azrakhor Akallabeth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azrakhor Akallabeth
Where am I?

Me? I... er... um... Who's Tolkien? Oh, yeah, that genius guy. I get him and Einstein confused. Has there ever BEEN a man so magic in all the universe?!?!?!?!??

But is this about him, or me? Me, I graduated as 100% Saruman on that quizzy test thingy. 3% separated me from the Nobility of Aragorn at a close 97%. So yeah, I've delved so deep into the Arts of my enemy that I am ever on the verge of ruinous conversion, even if my intentions were always to do good.

But is this a reflection of the REAL me? You bet your honey buttered sesame cakes it is. Who of you is intuitive? Tell me if this is true or untrue and I will give you a cake of Lembas bread.
Azrakhor Akallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #3632
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I believe I welcomed you on a different thread, but it would never hurt to do it again! Have fun being not-alive! (well, I have to vary my welcoming statements every once in a while :-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrakhor Akallabeth View Post
...even if my intentions were always to do good. But is this a reflection of the REAL me? You bet your honey buttered sesame cakes it is. Who of you is intuitive? Tell me if this is true or untrue ...
Don't we all have situations when we think we're helping but really quite the opposite? So I say that however you turn it, at least one part of it has to be true. :-)

Quote:
...and I will give you a cake of Lembas bread.
I'll get it, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #3633
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Azrakhor Akallabeth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azrakhor Akallabeth
Yummm... Lembas!

Absolutely, Miss Galadriel! Lembas it is. I'll attach it to an email, lol!
Azrakhor Akallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #3634
FlameofAnor
Pile O'Bones

FlameofAnor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Greetings, Friends

Well, howdy folks! After annoying my friends with enough Tolkien questions and discussions, I thought I'd join a forum where I can continue discussion. So, hello!

I'm quite proud of the username I managed to snag. Flame of Anor! Awesome.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in an say hello.

-Matt
FlameofAnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #3635
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Flame. Whatever Tolkien questions you have, this is without doubt the best place for them.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #3636
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome aboard, Flame! Be careful here, though: there's a FlameOfUdun wandering somewhere around here!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #3637
Erurin
Newly Deceased

Erurin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mae Govannen, mellonar!
(Okay, bad attempt at saying "Well met, friends" in Elvish.

I am a big-time Tolkien Fan! I started reading The Hobbit in 6th grade and read the Lord of the Rings in Junior High. I was immediately absorbed into the depth and legend of the books and HAD to read the Silmarilion.
A WHOLE NEW WORLD EXPLODED BEFORE ME! The Creation of Arda, the Exile of the Noldor, the Fate of Men, the Treachery of Melkor, the Charn i Hin Hurin, and the Akellebeth sucked me into their adventure and history. I am still hooked on Tolkien and do not believe I shall ever grow tired of it.
After reading the actual books I read biographies on Tolkien and actually started to read the Lost Roads; but the old versions started to ruin my belief in Middle-earth and I abandoned the Road. However, I have recently obtained The Unfinished Tales and Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Tolkien's Middle-Earth- both books I highly recomend (Unfinished Tales mostly for the complete story of Tuor's Coming to Gondolin and the lost Race of Tolkien's Drugs [pronounced "Droog;" I can't put the accent mark over the U]).
One of the things I like to do is translate peoples names into Elvish. If someone finds out what their name means, I can translate it for them (modifying the meaning a little- my real name means "The LORD remembers" so I made my name mean "Remembrance of Eru [Illuvatar]").
So, yeah, that is me!
*Erurin is my made up Elf that is Noldorin and is a survivor of the Fall of Gondolin and lives in Lothlorien- just in case anyone wonders (which they most likely don't)
Namarie!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #3638
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome to the Downs, Erurin! If you're looking for people who will be happy to discuss LotR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, HoME and every scrap of paper Tolkien ever wrote (including some he didn't) at any length you could desire, you've come to the perfect place. Have some crumbled lembas and make yourself comfortable in our black-and-green underworld!

P.S. mellyn, or mellonath.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #3639
Erurin
Newly Deceased

Erurin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mae Govannen, Mellyn. Thanks, Pitchwife!
I have a hard time with actual elvish speech! I can't quite grasp the grammar.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #3640
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erurin View Post
I have a hard time with actual elvish speech! I can't quite grasp the grammar.
You're not alone there. I don't think there is such a thing as 'actual elvish speech' - meaning that Tolkien's Elven languages weren't designed to be used in an actual conversation (unless you're content to talk mainly about stars and trees). Even the Prof himself achieved only a number of (still quite remarkable) poems and snippets of dialogue - when he tried to translate the Pater noster into Quenya he changed his mind about the words and constructions every time he copied it.

Anyway, have you been to Ardalambion? Helge Fauskanger has a whole Quenya course there, and IMHO he's quite good at explaining grammar without assuming that the reader knows a lot of linguistic terms to start with.