The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe George, I think we should see other movies...

A friend emailed me this, from The Onion. I though you might like it. Happy almost-Valentine's Day.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR><B>Nation's Love Affair With <I>Lord of the Rings</I> Threatening Its Relantionship With <I>Star Wars</I></B><P>LOS ANGELES—America's love affair with the J.R.R. Tolkien epic-fantasy saga Lord Of The Rings, a romance which has flowered ever since the 2001 release of the Fellowship Of The Ring film adaptation, has damaged the nation's long-term relationship with George Lucas' Star Wars saga, perhaps irreparably.<P>"When I first laid eyes on Star Wars, it was love at first sight," said Los Angeles comic-book-store proprietor Michael Janus, 33, who was just 8 when he encountered the film. "For the rest of that summer of '77, my life was Star Wars."<P>That love only deepened with the 1980 release of The Empire Strikes Back.<P>"Empire took things to the next level," Janus said. "I loved Star Wars, but when Empire came out, things really started to get serious. That's when I moved beyond toys and all the other kid stuff. Suddenly, there were conventions and fan clubs and books and collectibles."<P>The sequel's many attractive qualities, as well as Lucas' promise of a new film every three years into the next century, cemented America's commitment to the series, and Star Wars became a major part of its pop-cultural life.<P>For much of the nation, the first sign of trouble arose sometime around the relationship's six-year mark, with the 1983 release of Return Of The Jedi.<P>"Jedi was when things first started getting a little weird," said Eric DiCillo, 35, a Rockford, IL, graphic designer. "Like, Princess Leia turns out to be Luke's sister? That really came out of left field. And Boba Fett, this cool, mysterious character whose role was so vital in Empire, suddenly dies in a stupid piece of comedy. For the first time, I felt like Lucas wasn't taking me seriously."<P>"I mean, I still loved Star Wars," DiCillo continued. "Even at that point, there were plenty of good times between us. When Darth Vader pitched the Emperor into the abyss, well, let's just say I'd never experienced a climax like that before. But I'd be lying if I said I was 100 percent happy."<P>Unsure where the relationship was headed after Return Of The Jedi, the nation took time off from Star Wars, deciding to see other films during a "cooling off" period of 16 years.<P>"I know George needed to get his head together on where this whole Star Wars thing was going," DiCillo said, "so it was for the best that we went our separate ways for a while. It felt like a betrayal, seeing other sci-fi movies, but I knew that if it was meant to be, we'd eventually find our way back to each other."<BR> <BR>Even during the trial-separation period, Lucas' evasiveness and erratic behavior threatened to derail the relationship.<P>"Somewhere along the way, the saga of nine movies mysteriously turned into six," said Chris Cavanagh, 29, an Arlington, TX, insurance agent. "I remember, at one point, it was supposed to be 12. And I'm thinking, does Lucas have a long-term plan for us? I started out determined to see this relationship through to the end, but everything he did made me question it. I even started thinking he was just after my money."<P>"Through it all, though," Cavanagh continued, "I just kept telling myself, 'He'll change. He's got something truly special planned for the prequels. This can work.'"<P>The nation's hopes for a reconciliation were dashed in 1999, when, after a seemingly eternal wait, the disappointing Episode I—The Phantom Menace left the nation feeling hollow.<P>"By that point, the Star Wars films had lost their ability to move me," Janus said. "After seeing Phantom Menace, I started reflecting on the earlier films, and I realized they just weren't as deep and fulfilling as they'd seemed at the time. During that initial infatuation period, from '77 to '83, I guess I was too swept up in the magic of the whole thing to see that there were major problems."<P>"I stuck it out, I really did," a saddened Janus said. "I tried to make it work. But Star Wars just didn't hold up its end. A relationship is a two-way street. If George had told me he didn't want to do any more Star Wars movies after the original trilogy, yes, that would have hurt. But it would have been better than dragging me along like this. What he ended up doing was just passive-aggressive bull****."<P>The flaws in America's relationship with Star Wars became painfully apparent in 2000, when it was introduced to the film version of Fellowship Of The Ring.<P>"I felt really guilty about it, but I couldn't help but compare this exciting new thing in my life to my longtime relationship," DiCillo said. "And when I did, I found Star Wars coming up short. As much as I tried to deny it, the dialogue, acting, story structure, and special effects in Lord Of The Rings were all undeniably superior. Everything happens for a reason in it, and it all builds toward a thrilling, satisfying series of climaxes. I wish I could say the same for my first love."<P>Frustrated with the increasingly bloated, self-indulgent Star Wars universe, the nation shifted its affections toward the Peter Jackson films.<P>"Lord Of The Rings gave me things Star Wars never could," Janus said. "If it hadn't been for Peter Jackson showing me what a fantasy saga can be, I might have settled for [summer 2002's] Attack Of The Clones as the best I could ever hope for."<P>DiCillo has experienced a similar change of heart.<P>"I'm not completely shutting Star Wars out of my life," DiCillo said. "I'm sure I'll see Episode III when it comes out, but I'm done waiting in line overnight. When [third Rings installment] Return Of The King comes out, I know it'll be a proper trilogy-ending climax, and not some slapdash retread of the more memorable parts from the first two films."<P>"Obviously, I'm disappointed that things didn't work out between Star Wars and me," DiCillo added. "But I'm grateful for the time we had. I grew a lot as a person, and I'll always have my beautiful memories of the Battle of Hoth."<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-11-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw that, it is very clever, I actually have to say that I think our nation's relationship with Star Wars is being seriously affected, though maybe it's for the best
Old 02-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was hysterical, Diamond. And mostly because it's so true!<P>I remember going to see the new, improved "Special Edition" of Star Wars when it came to the theatres, and while walking out half-way through to filch a cigarette, I was asking myself "what did I see in this movie twenty years ago"? The honeymoon was definitely over. Of course, I was twenty years older, too. Perhaps I had just "grown", while Luke, Hans and Chewie had remained frozen in hyperspace.<P>LOTR has made me feel young again! I've been swept off my feet, and feel as giddy as a schoolgirl. OK, so in less than a year, I know it will all be over. Still, we'll always have Rivendell.<P>Here's lookin' at you, Frodo.<p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:07 AM   #4
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Great article! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> dialogue, acting, story structure, and special effects in Lord Of The Rings were all undeniably superior <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The story was better... You don't say. I'm not sure if the guy they interviewed realised that the Lotr films are actually based on a literary masterpiece. PJ didn't have to create both the film and the story. I still like Star Wars, but it is nowhere near as good as the Lotr films of course. Star Wars are just fun, lots of space ships and light sabers and aliens. Hey, I'm allowed to be shallow, and just enjoy a film even if it slightly crappy at times, right? <p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 02-12-2003, 02:17 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vanwa - consider the source. "The Onion" is a satirical "newspaper". Very funny about 75% of the time. <P>The article is just a very funny "Valentine's Day" take-off.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:17 AM   #6
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Very funny! I've never thought about how hard core starwars fans think of Starwars. And LotR took them away from George Lucas. Hillarious! <BR>Though I knew what it was, I've never read the Onion before now, were are copies sold?
Old 02-12-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

The latest edition of The Onion is always available at <A HREF="http://www.theonion.com" TARGET=_blank>www.theonion.com</A> .<P>Hope that helps...<p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Phrim ]
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hey! I still love Star Wars. Yeah, but not as much as Lord of the Rings. I wasn't really dissappointed until the last film. I was very unhappy with how they did Darth Vader's origin. I think they could've come up with a better way for him to become a real baddie. And they could've gotten a better actor for it...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

"I stuck it out, I really did," a saddened Janus said. "I tried to make it work. But Star Wars just didn't hold up its end. A relationship is a two-way street. If George had told me he didn't want to do any more Star Wars movies after the original trilogy, yes, that would have hurt. But it would have been better than dragging me along like this. What he ended up doing was just passive-aggressive bull****."<P><BR>God, I love the Onion. Of course, who knows where the LOTR relationship will go after ROTK - if PJ starts dangling the possibility of "The Hobbit" in front of us, it could turn into a VERY interesting relationship . ("You're not going to do anything; you were just stringing me along the whole time?" "Aw, come on, I delivered last time, didn't I? Get off my back, lemme take a break.")<P>Now I'm scared.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:50 PM   #10
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This was already posted a while back on <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000768" TARGET=_blank>do die-hard LOTR fans like Star Wars?</A>
Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Pipe

Oh. I didn't look in N&N for a movie subject, I don't know why those get put there. Ah well, that was a link, and they're notorious for disappearing.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I just read that yesterday! The onion is awesome!<P>I've never been one for commitment, which is to say that I've been two timing with SW and LOTR, and I plan on doing so as long as I live. I hope George and Peter don't mind too much.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #13
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, my gosh, I thought I was reading a transcript of my own thoughts in that article! I confess, I was a SW diehard for several years of my life. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the original trilogy, and I kept some of my Expanded Universe novels (just the ones by Zahn and Allston, though; Barbara Hambly...we won't talk about her fate. It wasn't pretty) and even read them sometimes. But I was cooling off big time after Episode I came out (in which they killed the only two characters I gave a rip about, and didn't kill the two I was really sick of), and LOTR was just the final nail in the coffin. I canceled my membership at a SW fansite I refuse to name and discovered Barrow Downs, and I haven't looked back since. My roommate and I traded in our toy lightsabers for, in her case, Sam and Frodo action figures, and in mine, lots and lots of production still flats with which to paper my dorm room. I delighted in crushing all of my Episode I Pepsi cans (except for Qui-Gon, who's still really cool even if he's dead, and Obi-Wan, because he has an attitude problem and I can identify), and I tore down my Anakin poster and tossed it somewhere in the deadly recesses of my too-cluttered closet; poor little Ani is probably crushed to death by now. Darn. (Incidentally, Hayden Christiansen IS a good actor. Watch Life As a House sometime. Rumor has it that Lucas cramped his style.) George Lucas can't hold a candle to either J.R.R. Tolkien or George Lucas; I am officially over Star Wars and lost in Middle-Earth, and I doubt any other SW movies could change that. I saved the money I would have wasted seeing that wannabe B-movie Lucasfilm euphemistically called Episode II and spent it on midnight showing tickets to TTT.<P>Okay, long post, rant over, climbing down off of soap box and hiding in the corner from people who will throw plush Ewoks at me in revenge.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:58 AM   #14
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Don't worry, George! I still love Star Wars!<P>I just watched the original trilogy all over again--in order, 4 to 5 to 6--today (holiday and all). I can't believe how very funny some of the '70s-era SFX look, but that don't matter! I say that SW is the closest thing to Middle-earth-quality storytelling as anyone will ever get. Hand me my lightsaber--it's the one that says "Diehard Fan" on it.<P>Incidentally, this brings to mind a question a friend once asked: Would you rather be an Elf, or a Jedi?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:26 PM   #15
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Elf.<BR>I'd rather live in Rivendell or Mirkwood than on Coruscant or Yavin IV any day.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Though you have to admit those lightsabers would be really fun.<P>However, I'd much rather hobnob with hobbits than the hideous mélange of monsters which inhabit the Star Wars galaxy. Many of Lucas' creatures look like the very nadir of creative thought, while in LotR even the ugly creatures look physically plausible and strangely attractive. (Oh come on, if I was an Orcess I'm sure Lurtz would seem handsome in his own ugly way.) And even the movieWargs surpass any SW creature. Recall those giant ticks Anakin was riding in Ep. II?<P>So I'd say Elf.<P>An Elf with a lightsaber.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:40 AM   #17
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Star Wars was one of the first movies I had seen, and yes, I admit, I was thrilled by it. But when I saw FOTR in the theater for the first time, I was forever changed. I had read the books before, but that movie transformed me into the die-hard LOTR fanatic that I am. ROCK ON, PJ!!!!<P>But I still like Star Wars, and plan to see Episode III when it comes out - but phantom menace really turned me off. at that point, starwars was not star wars anymore; and the story was so... shallow. FOTR was a very deep story; and it had much better acting, romance, soundtrack, etc.<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #18
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd be an Elven Jedi lol!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #19
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Id be an Elf cause for one, even though a jedi gets a lightsaber, they don't get to have as much fun as anyone else. Plus I would love to have the Pointy ears and be Immortal (not on this earth though, Middle Earth works though) Also heres the big one, I LOVE LOTR MORE THAN STAR WARS. <P>Isn't it unfair to the rest of us that Christopher Lee get to be (used to be) a jedi and a Wizard!!!!!! <P>Saruman: We must join with him Gandalf.<P>Gandalf: Tell me friend when did Saruman the wise abandon reason for madness?<P>*Saruman pulls out a light saber, slashes Gandalf's staff in two and uses the force to throw him up to the top of Orthanc.*
Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #20
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> phantom menace really turned me off. at that point, starwars was not star wars anymore; and the story was so... shallow <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Star Wars was always shallow, but that was partially the point. Lucus was trying to emulate the feeling he had as a kid watching sci-fi serials like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. Keep it light. Keep it fun. LoTR is a completely different animal. My problem with the new Star Wars films is that they are loosing the fun aspect of them as they get bogged down in a more complex and darker story line. I also think Lucus intentially keeps the emotions from getting too high. Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Samuel Jackson are all great actors and capable of powerful preformances but they seem stunted and wasted in these films.<P>The other problem with franchise films, I think, is that they get bogged down within the expectations of their fans. They become frightened to do anything different because they don't want to allienate their fan base and after a few films it just seems they're running around the same old territory again and again. <P>One of the best things Jackson did was film all three movies at once. That way he doesn't fall into the trap of trying to "recapture the magic" of the first film or trying to figure out the formula to please the fans. He makes the films as he sees fit and if you have complaints, too bad it's already in the can. It was certainly a risk on his part and the studies, but in the end worth it. Some of the worst films are the ones that try to appease everyone.<P>Just my opinion.<P>H.C.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #21
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Actually, a big part of my problem with the prequel SW trilogy is that it's <I>not</I> fulfilling fan expectations. Why do I have a problem with that? Well, because dear old George told the fans what to expect awhile ago, then he went and completely screwed it up. For example, Boba Fett had an established history that had nothing to do with some freak named Jango, and he wasn't a clone. It was established as fact in the fan base, approved by Lucas himself. Also, Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother, not Anakin's step-brother, which makes a lot more sense if you want to hide a kid (Luke) someplace Dad wouldn't think to look for him. That's what ticks me off about the prequels (aside from the lack of coherent story and the abundance of Jar Jar and <gag> Padme); George Lucas told the fans what to expect, then screwed 'em just because he could.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #22
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I heard an interview with George Lucas that talked about LotR. He said that Those films really were costing him money because he said they blew out his films. <P>~Burzdol~
Old 04-07-2003, 01:35 PM   #23
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> George Lucas told the fans what to expect, then screwed 'em just because he could. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That vast majority of the fans (including myself) had no idea as to this back story, so this really can't be used as an explanation as to the lack luster of the prequels. It may be why you are upset, but not most people.<P>Personally, I never got into the back story for Star Wars because I was never got the impression they were taking the genre all that seriously. I would never expect canonical material from them as their first job was to push merchandise.<P>H.C.