The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Frodo's change from book to film

I suppose it was never so apparent to me that Frodo was significantly changed from book to film in some scenes/parts of the films. I guess it never really occured to me because Frodo was never a favorite character of mine, and maybe I just didn't see them. But as I re-read the books, I notice big contrasts from book Frodo to movie Frodo.

Besides the age (could Wood pass off as 50+? ), and besides the horrible scene of "Go home Sam, we are in the middle of nowhere, you'll probably die on the way, but go home Sam", there are a bunch of differences. One that comes to mind without digging too deep would be Frodo's mistrust and lies of and to Faramir. One of the best sites on contrasting the book the the movie has to be this one, made by an unnamed Tolkien enthuisiast-

http://www.istad.org/tolkien/index.html - "From pointy ears to Grima's tears"

If you haven't seen this, check it out. In the article "What happened to the galliant Captain Faramir", which has been promoted on this board before, the writer goes on to say how it was Frodo's fault of change that caused Faramir to be misinterperted. Check it out, it's interesting and in my opinion true.

Anyway, I stray. I don't have much time right now so I'll leave it up to the rest, what did you find shocking in Frodo's change from book to film?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I found that the hobbits (including Frodo) were not as fat as they seemed to be depicted to be in the books. I think that was for the better, though. I would probably not take a bunch of fat little halflings seriously anyway.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I'm definitely glad they weren't on the hefty side, I never pictured them like that. I pictured them like Jackson cast them. I'm curious, what gave you the idea that they were more plump? Sam perhaps I can see, but Merry and Pippin at least I believe are described as more slender.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Also notice on the journey to the Cross-roads, Frodo is the one who says to Sam the broken statue head of the King had a crown again as the sun shone on it. Why PJ gave this line to Sam in the films I can guess- because in PJ's film, by this point, Frodo was way more influenced by the Ring, possibly because of the changes to his character, and Frodo wouldn't really care enough to stop and say something hopeful like that.

Just found that interesting to note.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, in general the film seems to portray Frodo as already hopelessly addicted and befuddled by the Ring. To the point where Sam is the only one with a clear head and the only one driving the Quest forward.

In the book, while Frodo experiences occasional fits of madness as a result of the Ring, he remains the driving force for the Quest, so he is the real hero of the story. He is the one who talks forcefully and skillfully to Faramir when they meet, he is the one who keeps Gollum alive, and he is the one who initially drives Shelob away with the Light of Earendil. In the movie, in contrast, Frodo seems to be a basket case very early on, so one loses all sense that this is a heroic Quest on the part of Frodo. This is handled skillfully in the book, since part of the dramatic tension comes from Frodo's awareness that he will be gradually transformed into Gollum, whereas in the movie, this happens early on. Frodo snaps out of it in the movie only enough to occasionally think of the Shire or happier times, but he does not show the nobility and wisdom that he has (especially in the dealings with Faramir) that he shows in the book.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought that the way Frodo was changed from the books to the film were a good change. Not that I was 100% satisified with the changes that were made to him and his lines but at least I wasn't disappointed.
Closed Thread