The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Five Minute RotK Trailer!

I discovered this link on another board, and just had to share it here.

The people who preorder the RotK:EE from Amazon.com receive this nifty little download, and some lovely person put it online. Within is contained Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch-King, an extension of the Paths of the Dead, and part of Pippin's conversation with Faramir, among other things.

Thar she blows! ^^

Be warned, ye need RealPlayer to view this. Have fun!

Abedithon le,

~ Aranel ~
Old 10-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pret-ty coooll...

"Hi, ah'm Billeh Boyd, thanken' yu for purchasin' "The Return of the Keng" from Amazoen doet com."
You're welcome, Billy! Anything legal is ok with me!

Some cool stuff in there...however why would Gandalf take a hobbit to an encounter with the Witch King? Why? Why? If it was a hurried encounter, couldn't he have chucked Pippin off somewhere in the city?

*sigh* Some (PJ! PJ!) things are just beyond me I guess.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It makes me smile. The dialogue is exactly right for the scene between Gandalf and the Witch-King, and what Pippin says about not growing anymore, except sideways, is straight from the book. It makes me happy, and eases my worries about Saruman's and Gríma's deathes.

I might be able to wait until Dec. now...
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
why would Gandalf take a hobbit to an encounter with the Witch King?
Because (I think) the scene occurs en route to rescue Faramir from Denethor's clutches.

Personally, I have no complaints from what I have seen.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
It's great, thank you to that lovely person who put it online! I loved the Pippin-Faramir interaction! Also, when Gandalf is kicked off Shadowfax and Pippin 'jumps to the rescue', do you suppose this is the moment when the horns are heard and Rohan comes at last?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:15 AM   #6
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Excellent find!

I was disappointed with the Gandalf-Wiki scene though...I was hoping Gandalf would put up more of a fight instead of losing helplessly. I still think that Gandalf can beat the Witch King, but I guess PJ didn't wanna do that.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
I was hoping Gandalf would put up more of a fight instead of losing helplessly. I still think that Gandalf can beat the Witch King, but I guess PJ didn't wanna do that.
Well, it makes much more sense of the Witch-King's line to Gothmog that he will crush the Wizard. And it enhances the power of the Witch-King as an opponent, thus making Eowyn's defeat of him (with Merry's help) even more impressive. I like it.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Um, has anyone else dowloaded this with a dial-up connection? 54 minutes, it said! Being a Luddite I don't have Broadband yet, but should it take that long?
Old 10-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #9
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It took me 56 minutes...gosh, I envy your connection speed Lalwendë...wow...
But it was worth it.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
White Tree

Thank you so much Sapphire_Flame! I was just going to ask if any one knew of an RotK EE preview beside the one on lordoftherings.net. My friend wanted to see it, but her computer was having problems. Does anyone know of any others? I need something to entertain me until it comes out.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Well, there's always this bootlegged comiccon footage that has a few new things.
While the blooper reel's quality is extremely poor, it's quite amusing. Especially Sam's "closeup".

Old 10-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Well, it makes much more sense of the Witch-King's line to Gothmog that he will crush the Wizard. And it enhances the power of the Witch-King as an opponent, thus making Eowyn's defeat of him (with Merry's help) even more impressive. I like it.
True, but it makes Gandalf into....nothing.

In the movie, he's not that wise, nor that powerful. All his strategies and cleverness from the book are made so that they're suggested by someone else, and Gandalf's initially against it. Here are some that I can think of off my head:

1. He didn't want Theoden to go to Helm's Deep; that was Theoden's idea.
2. He didn't want to attack the Morannon; that was Aragorn's.
3. He couldn't open solve the Moria riddle; that was Frodo's idea.
4. He was against going to Moria; that was Frodo's decision and Gimli's idea.
5. He has no part to play in the Ent's help in the battle of Helm's Deep. In fact, the ents(or Huorns, I should say) help only in the EE, and Gandalf had no knowledge of it.

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of it. Many of Gandalf's wisdom is hidden in the movie, to make him seem more "human". All well and good, but I think they've overdone it...he just seems like a wise-wannabe in the movie. Now they take out his power as well. They emphasize it a lot in TTT, but with the Orc that almost kills him and now this, he's obviously no match for a bunch of Sauron's forces. In the book, of course, he can't be hurt by any mortal weapons and all evidences suggest he's greater than the Witch King. He's stupid and weak in the movie, and I'm quite against that...
Old 10-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #13
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
He's stupid and weak in the movie,
Actually, no they didn't. Gandalf didn't want to go to Moria in the books either, but he suggested it (yes, the movie changed this a bit but the point is that he didn't want to go).

I don't remember the plans for Helms Deep.

Gandalf couldn't solve the Moria riddle in the book and it was Merry who triggered the memory.

I don't recall Gandalf helping the ents...however it has been ages since I have read TTT

In the Movies:

Gandalf brought back Eomer
He drove the Nazgul away from Faramir
He fought the Balrog enabling the comapny to attack.

The preview is taken out of context. To judge Gandalf's actions we must see the entire scene. It's silly to judge a half formed scene that leaves you on a cliff hanger.

Last edited by Imladris; 10-23-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

All right...I agree that my choice of words "stupid" and "weak" weren't very good. I'd say rather "not wise" and "not the powerful being he is in the book".

Quote:
Actually, no they didn't. Gandalf didn't want to go to Moria in the books either, but he suggested it (yes, the movie changed this a bit but the point is that he didn't want to go).
He didn't want to go, but he realised that it was the best route. Whether he personally wanted to go or not has absolutely nothing to do with it. In a battle, we judge a general's abilities by his strategy and courage and stuff, not by whether he likes war or not. In the movie, Gandalf actually starts off with the plan of going south, to Rohan, as if he didn't know about Saruman.

Quote:
I don't remember the plans for Helms Deep.
He tells Theoden to go to Helm's Deep where it's easier to defend. In the movie, Gandalf tells Theoden to fight Saruman head on, when it's clear that they're outnumbered. It's Theoden who doesn't want to do this, and decides to "hide" in Helm's Deep.

Quote:
Gandalf couldn't solve the Moria riddle in the book and it was Merry who triggered the memory.
Gandalf solves it alone. Merry doesn't trigger his memory; he was only on the right track. Merry merely asked because he didn't understand. Gandalf solves the riddle long after Merry asks his question, and only comments that "Merry, of all people, was on the right track" by asking that question.

Quote:
I don't recall Gandalf helping the ents...however it has been ages since I have read TTT
Well, I never said he helps the ents. But he does ride to Isengard after it's been sacked and asks Treebeard to send a bunch of Huorns to Helm's Deep.

Quote:
Gandalf brought back Eomer
He drove the Nazgul away from Faramir
He fought the Balrog enabling the comapny to attack.
All of these were from the book. My point is that they made Gandalf MUCH weaker and less wise than in the book, by taking out some of his great moments. I never said they took out all of them; otherwise Gandalf'd be no better than the movie Pippin. But anyway, your second point is a good one; if he can drive away 5 Nazguls, why does he lose his staff to the Witch King in the movie? As you can know by "the Voice of Saruman" chapter, losing a staff is losing a wizard's power. Losing his staff means Gandalf is deprived of much of his power.

Quote:
The preview is taken out of context. To judge Gandalf's actions we must see the entire scene. It's silly to judge a half formed scene that leaves you on a cliff hanger.
True, but some of the published books related to the movie (Weapons and Warfare, for instance) say that the Witch King bested Gandalf. There's also a lot of stuff floating around that Gandalf only barely manages to escape by the coming of Rohan.

But anyway, this is getting a bit off topic, methinks. I was simply disappointed that they made Gandalf the White seem like a weaking compared to the Witch King, when most of the book evidences suggest he is stronger.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthaur_cruel
I'd say rather "not wise" and "not the powerful being he is in the book".
I sincerely doubt that many people who saw the films would come to the conclusion that Gandalf was neither wise nor powerful. The point for me is not how it compares with the book, but how well it works within the context of the films, as the book and the film tell two quite different stories. From what I have seen, this scene looks, to me, to work well within the context of the story told in the films.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #16
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
My german is not very good so I could not really read the site. Are there any other sites that have a Real Audio version?
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Never mind, I linked to a site that has it in real audio.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

You can always go to www.babelfish.altavista.com and translate the page, if you can`t read it.

I downloaded the bloopers real, but when I tried to watch it, it came up on windows media player. I could hear it, but couldn`t see it. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Nimrodel_9; 10-25-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 PM   #19
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Comiccon footage and blooper reel are in WMP.
Nimrodel, it's not your computer, it's the clip. It's VERY bad quality. There's nothing we can do except hope that PJ will someday release a good quality reel.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:47 PM   #20
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Alrighty then! Thanks Oddwen!