The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien AOL review for ROTK

Entertainment Weekly posted a thing on the internet about the top 10 most anticipated movies of the coming fall 2003. Of course, ROTK was at #1, and here is their review for it:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>WHY WE CAN'T WAIT</B> Hey, we were ready for this a year ago, the moment the house lights went up at the end of ''The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.'' ''Rings''-master Peter Jackson believes he has been saving the best for last, according to Elijah ''Frodo'' Wood.<P><B>SOURCE MATERIAL</B> The final volume of J.R.R. Tolkien's ''The Lord of the Rings'' trilogy<P><B>WHAT'S NEW</B> The relationship between hobbits Frodo and Sam (Sean Astin, above left with Wood) and the treacherous Gollum (Andy Serkis) becomes even more twisted. Plus, there's the giant she-spider Shelob, a fanged monster who threatens to make a snack out of Sam (actually taken from Tolkien's ''The Two Towers,'' but inserted into ''King'' by Jackson to up the drama).<P><B>BURNING QUESTION</B> Will Jackson finally grab his own brass ring, the Oscar that eluded the first two installments?<P><B>COME FOR</B> The Sam-Shelob showdown<P><B>STAY FOR</B> The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, for which the bloody fray in ''The Two Towers'' was only a warm-up<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think this adds to many other things that prove that this movie will be the best of the year. Don't you?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I absolutely CANNOT WAIT! I cried when I watched the preview on the TTT DVD and No matter what "changes" ( ) PJ might make to RotK I will still love it, I esp. can't wait to see the battle of Pellenor fields, even though I'm not a huge fan of the battles, this is going to be amazing. Isn't it supposedly the biggest battle scene in any movie? How many more days is it to Rotk?!?!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<I>Come</I> for the Sam-Shelob showdown? That's not the bit I'd pick personally but still, it's good to see that it is getting good reviews. It's nice to see what other people think of the movies, I don't often get it from a normal person's view.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Come for the Sam-Shelob showdown? That's not the bit I'd pick personally... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Neither would I dragon eyes... <BR>It just dawned on me that most of the non-book reading audience doesn't know about the "twist ending"(for lack of a better phrase)... they probably all expect Frodo to drop the ring into Mt. Doom and trot back home to the Shire where he lives Happily ever after. Hmm... won't they be surprised<BR>
Old 09-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oooh yes...that is one of the things I loved about the story...that it wasn;t your average 'fairy tale' or whatever...<BR>I can't wait to see the Dead, that'll be interesting, and to meet Denethor, and the final bit on the slopes of Mount Doom...man that was so emotional in the book! (For me, at least)
Old 09-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It just dawned on me that most of the non-book reading audience doesn't know about the "twist ending"(for lack of a better phrase)... they probably all expect Frodo to drop the ring into Mt. Doom and trot back home to the Shire where he lives Happily ever after. Hmm... won't they be surprised<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>Haha! Your right!<BR> indeed!<P>What I'm 'staying for' is the very ending. I'm so looking forward to seeing how it is done, and exactly what note PJ is drawing it to a close on. Ship sailing into the horizon? Sam surrounded by happy children? Galadriel spouting on??? <P>And the Pelennor! I thought Helm's deep was humungus so goodness knows what I'm going to make of this. I only hope it's not too huge (haha Daisy dream on...)
Old 09-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hey when I read the book I thought that Frodo was just going to drop the ring in, go home and live happily ever after. Gosh I was wrong!<P>I always love to hear positive things from magazines, etc... about the LOTR films. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside I am still extremely nervious about the whole Oscar thing though.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #8
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, <I>A Beautiful Mind</I> beat out FotR in '01, and <I>Chicago</I> beat out TT in '02, but there ain't gonna be nothing stopping the King once it gets rolling! Booya!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:26 PM   #9
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohh, I'm exited! Thank you Eruwen! <P>I'm a little concerned that they (the reporters) will tell to much about Shelob to the non-reader population, because the thing I'm looking forward to is hearing the audience weep. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hey, A Beautiful Mind beat out FotR in '01, and Chicago beat out TT in '02, but there ain't gonna be nothing stopping the King once it gets rolling! Booya! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And 'the Last Samurai' for '03. Oh, how I would LOVE to see Elijah or Viggo (or any of the crew!) make Tom Cruise run for his money. We need to deflate that head of his.<P>I must be feeling evil today. See? <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 09-01-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Some people don't like the way Frodo 'goes bad' at the end of RotK. & others don't like the fact that he can't stay with Sam for 'ever & ever'. I personally don't care much either way.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #11
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

I just want to see the movie! <BR>(And I want it to win Best Pic at the Academy Awards- but that's a different thread)

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:13 PM   #12
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I think RotK will win this year, I can see why FotR was beaten out by a beautiful mind, that was an amazing movie, and many people wernt "into" the LotR movies accept for us. but now, after they have has a taste of the suspence the action and everyhting else, they will flock to see RotK, i dont doubt that RotK couldnt beat out any movie out there, it probably could beat out the next starwars, if it was out this year
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> others don't like the fact that he can't stay with Sam for 'ever & ever'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They do both end up going West, so I always thought they did stay together forever and ever. And don't you say anything different! Or I might just cry.