The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

The Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Mouth of Sauron

What is this dude?And is he gonna be in the extended edition of the movie?Oh by the way, any of you ever played a old game called Eye Of The Beholder?Closely based on LOTR I think.
The Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

If I remember correctly, the Mouth of Sauron is basically a guy that interprets Sauron's will. Forgive me for being sacrilegious, but I think you could interpret him as a kind of prophet. He didn't really play that crucial a role, though, so I don't think any injury was done by leaving him out of the movies.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

The Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But although Sauron didn't have a body in the film, he did in the books.So why would he need someone to interpret his will when the big fella can come and tell you himself?
The Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He didn't 'interpret' the will of Sauron, he was a messenger of Sauron. He is in the book and will be in the extended edition of the film. Also, Sauron does not have a body in the book.
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Uhhh to my knowledge Sauron was an eye in the books too. As to what the Mouth is, he is a black Numenorean but I can't tell much more than that without guessing a lot.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

The Mouth of Sauron was a part of Sauron, as his name suggests. As one could guess, he is the deliverer of Sauron's messages, a messenger. He has been completely corrupted and no longer remembers his own name or independent identity.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

DarkRose, I don't think he was a 'part of Sauron', even if we was totally corrupted - because he seems to have his own ambitions. In his conversation he says that Orthanc must be given to a leuitenant of Sauron's "more worthy of trust" than Saruman, and then looking into his eyes they realise that he is to be that leuitenant and become a tyrant himself. It sounds to me as if he had a lustful look or a proud gleam in his eye when he said this, and this is how they knew. So he seems to desire to become powerful himself. If he was actually a part of Sauron he would not feel any pleasure at this thought, but he does, since he is an individual.
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
DarkRose
Wight

Sting

Hm, I never looked at it that way, m_p_o</b>. I do see what you mean. I suppose I've always thought of him as the actual embodiment of the <i>mouth</i> of Sauron, so to speak. I thought he had no aspirations or greedy hopes. I thought he knew only to do his lord's bidding.<P>But yes, I see it your way. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

First he's got an Eye, then they meet his mouth...who knows, one day he may get a nose!!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:57 AM   #10
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Mouth gets a mention in the Weapons Guide, so he should be there in the extended version. I believe the role is being played by Bruce Spence, an Australian actor best known for his comedy (you may have seen him in Mad Max 2 - a very tall man).<P>It should be interesting to see how they manage it. As I recall, what the Mouth did was try to convince Our Heroes that Frodo was imprisoned by showing his mithril shirt, cloak, etc. which one of the orcs had run off with. I don't *think* that happened in the movie ... did it? They both got killed.<P>As for whether Sauron in the book has a body ... didn't someone say at one stage that the idea was to capture Frodo and torture him by making him see the Ring *on Sauron's hand*? If he hasn't a body, he can't have a hand, can he?
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:05 AM   #11
DarkRose
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>First he's got an Eye, then they meet his mouth...who knows, one day he may get a nose!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>-laughs- You're right! And maybe he'll also get an ear, or an elbow! <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As I recall, what the Mouth did was try to convince Our Heroes that Frodo was imprisoned by showing his mithril shirt, cloak, etc. which one of the orcs had run off with. I don't *think* that happened in the movie ... did it? They both got killed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In Cirith Ungol in the ROTK film, the orcs were arguing over the mithril vest. I'm not sure, but perhaps in the EE they will show one of the orcs running off with it. They left that out of the theatrical version, I believe.<P>According to the ROTK video game (which you probably can't go by) the Mouth looks a bit odd, to me. He has on a very strange helmet and a skirt-like thing. I'm hoping he'll look better in the EE.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

To discuss whether the Mouth of Sauron will be in the RotK Extended Edition, click <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002504" TARGET=_blank>here</A> or <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002607" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<P>To learn more about the Mouth of Sauron in the book, click <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001488" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<P>To find out about Sauron and whether he was physically incarnate during the War of the Ring try <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search&search_forum=1" TARGET=_blank>searching</A> in Books or N&N under “Sauron” (he was, but he wasn’t just a giant, red, flaming eyeball).<P>Thread closed, as a duplicate on multiple counts.