Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #241
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Arry - Thorvel most certainly would not - he hates Orcs, and would probably send an arrow through him first.

Edit: Arry, reading back on your post I'm not sure if you mean the Mirkwood or Lorien elves... Lorien Elves seems more likely and if so just ignore this.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-02-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #242
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Arry -- I can think of a couple of Elves who are about to be captured who might be in desperate enough straits to listen to anyone: even a snivelling orc. They won't trust him, but they won't really have much choice other than to hear him out.

Just be sure to wait until Ambarturion is bound and defenseless before speaking with him!
Old 07-02-2004, 07:00 PM   #243
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Quote:
"Captain Herding's way of thinking is..." he hesitated, trying to formulate the right words, before giving up. "Frankly, the man reminds me all too strongly of a pair of the most despicable human beings I have ever come into contact with."

Oooo. o.0 - Very nice. I like it.
Dun dun dun! Tension! I like it toooooo....

The Orcs and Men are back in action!

-Aylwen
Old 07-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #244
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sorry, guys.. haven't posted in awhile... Will work up something tonight or tomorrow, though I doubt my writing was missed..

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 07-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #245
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Lets try and do this with as little words as possible

Quote:
Durelin, I'm with Fordim here, but I'd like to make a request. If possible, could thrakmazh and Urkrash accompany that force, leading the orcs that go with Herding's Southrons? I have a *ahem* date with some elves and a very sharp knife, so to speak...
Sure, Kransha!

Quote:
Would any of the Elves hear out a sniveling Orc were he or she to be approached by said Orc about trading favors?
Arry - Calenvasa would; Targil would.

Quote:
...though I doubt my writing was missed..
Of course it has been missed, Alatariel! But no problem.

-Durelin
Old 07-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #246
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Just a quick question: where are the Mirkwood Elves timeframe-wise? Is there anything more that will happen during the night, or are we moving on to the third day?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #247
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Envoy capture

Quote:
Arry -- I can think of a couple of Elves who are about to be captured who might be in desperate enough straits to listen to anyone: even a snivelling orc. They won't trust him, but they won't really have much choice other than to hear him out.
Would the orcs just be going for a straight out attack, or do you intend to use the 'trading' idea as some sort of distraction, Arry? I think the latter would work, if so - a few orcs distract the elves, who would not immediately attack two or three orcs due to Caranbaith's position, while the others take the advantage to surround them, thus making the attack all the easier for them and meaning there would be fewer losses.

What do you think? And would Koran and Ehan be accompanying them with Herding's southrons? I think Herding would probably seize the chance to possibly put Koran more in the way of danger, thus making his chances at Lorien smaller - what do you think, Orofaniel?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #248
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Gromwakh is looking after his own hide and those of his mates.

Their objective is to suffer few if any losses and return to the Mt. Gundabad region. They were conscripted for use in this foray against the Golden Wood and feel no loyalty to anyone but themselves.

What's in it for them? Nothing from Thrákmazh and his lot - he's already done one of them in. They feel the the Southrons are just as untrustworthy. The Orcs, they know, will be thrown into the frontal asaults and most of them killed. Their chances of getting home after this battle are slim, and they can see themselves being dragged off to some other battle they really have no stake in.

The Elves are an unknown quantity to them. They've heard stories of course, but never met one in the passages beneath the mountains. Getting back to the northern Misty Mountains would be easier if they had safe passage guaranteed either through Lorien or up through Mirkwood.

This is not to say they wouldn't kill any Elves who threatened them . . . or for that matter take a whack at any Southrons, Uruks, or other Orcs who stood in the way of their survival.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #249
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
where are the Mirkwood Elves timeframe-wise? Is there anything more that will happen during the night, or are we moving on to the third day?
Firefoot - It is night on the second day, and I think the discussion we were having should continue, and possibly allow Targil and Lomarandil to be a part of it. Allow...or they could force their way into it.

-Durelin
Old 07-05-2004, 09:28 AM   #250
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
*hits self* Must...put...up...a...post...

Seriosuly though, I've been so busy with other things, I'll try and have apost up for tomorrow...sorry I haven't been posting...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #251
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I have a post up... I have gotten the Mirkwood Elves all together, and if there is something that I should edit for someone else's character, just let me know.

EDIT: I just added some more to my post; it didn't sound complete.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-05-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #252
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Quote:
What do you think? And would Koran and Ehan be accompanying them with Herding's southrons? I think Herding would probably seize the chance to possibly put Koran more in the way of danger, thus making his chances at Lorien smaller - what do you think, Orofaniel?
Definitely, Aman. ;-) That evil twit would like to see Koran in danger.

So, will Ehan, Koran and Thrakmazh go "together?"
Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #253
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Yes! I got a post up, its a bit of an insight into Lomarandil's thoughts, but the bit at the end shouldn't be taken seriously. As I said, he's quick to anger, quick to forgive...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #254
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

1420! I wish not to be an iron-fisted game owner! Though I may be doing too good of a job.

It is now Day 3!

This means that the envoy is to be captured today. I'm leaving it up to you ambassadors, orcs, and southrons to do this as you wish. I want to give you as much freedom as I can...but if you need any instruction or if there are any matters that need clearing up, just let me know.

And please know that I am very flexible as to how you decide to do this.

Also, Calenvasa has no orders, so if any scouts (Hama and Firefoot) post, you can go ahead and get us moving.

Firefoot and Hama - I loved both of your posts. Your characters are very interesting...large parts of that mess of a scout troop! We'll see if they can all pull together when the need arises...

-Durelin
Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #255
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Bringing this forward:

OUTLINE OF THE GAME:
  • Army prepares to march from Dol Guldur (day 1)
  • Mirkwood scouts discover army (day 1), and, as it begins to march toward Lorien, they decide to follow (day 2 – 3)
  • Lorien envoy is on their way to the Woodmen (days 1 – 3), a good ways outside Lorien on day 1
  • Envoy crosses path of army (the two are heading in opposite directions, and it is hard to avoid a large army), and are captured (day 3)
  • Small force breaks off to take the captives back to Dol Guldur (day 3)
  • Mirkwood scouts, following, are able to ambush (night day 3) this force and rescue the captives
  • The scouts learn of the plans: a special force will attack from another direction and assault Caras Galadon (day 4)
  • The elven party races back to Lorien from the north at the greatest possible speed – the trolls slow the baddies down (days 4 – 7)
  • When they arrive (night day 9), the battle is about to begin:
    When the army reaches the Anduin around mid-day on the 9th day, they stop to put up the floating bridges. They plan to begin the attack soon after dawn the next day. The Mirkwood scouts + Lorien envoy reach the borders of Lorien a little before dusk, and reach Caras Galadon soon after dusk. A council of war then follows during the night.
  • The plan of the special force is foiled, and the entire army retreats (day 11)

--------------

TIMEFRAMES:

Time Periods (for a basic idea of the order of things):

Mikwood scout party scouts out and follows army (days 1 – 3)
Envoy captured – a party splits off to take captives back to Dol Guldur (day 3)
Envoy rescued – Plans of evil forces made clear (night of day 3 – day 4)
Race back to Lorien (days 4 – 7)
Defenders warned/inner defenders rescued from surprise attack (night of day 7 – day 8)
Lorien front lines hold off main force (day 9)
Enemy held – Retreat (day 11)
Old 07-08-2004, 03:06 AM   #256
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Grom and company are on their way to take a few requisite whacks at the mighty Elves of Lorien.

Lead on, O Fearless Captains! They're right behind you . . .
Old 07-08-2004, 05:20 AM   #257
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Durelin - I put up a post last night, but since your post on the discussion thread was not yet there I did not start them moving. I will probably edit it later on (within 10 hrs) to start them moving.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #258
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Um..I just wrote a post about Herding's night. Therefore I was wondering if we could just continue now; meaning that Firefoot doesn't necessarily edit his/her post.

If not, I can just edit my post and continue it. The army wakes up, starts to move. etc etc.

Cheers,
Oro

BTW: Fellow Captains and soldiers - Do we have any plans for the capturing of the envoy? Should we make one? Or should we all just follow the flow?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #259
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I moved my post to follow Orofaniel's. The army should now be on the move as the little orc band is running to take their place in the advance on the Elven envoy.

Just let me know if I need to move the post again.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #260
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

How to Catch and Elf

For what it's worth, I think that the plan suggested by (I believe it was) Aman, makes the most sense: send in an advance wave of orcs to distract the Elves with fierce combat while the rest of the orcs take their time to encircle the Envoy and press in, in a more orderly manner.

(This strategy has the added advantage that it will give Ambarturion the chance to wipe out a lot of orcs before he is taken. . . )
Old 07-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #261
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oro - I am a her.

Also, that would be fine, I won't edit my post if that's okay with everyone else. Hama - I guess that means that you could do the part about the Mirkwood Elves getting moving.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #262
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

My post and that of the ever eloquent Arry have now securely introduced the group to set out to capture the elves - I hope my numbers (forty/fifty orcs and fifteen Haradrim) seem alright to everyone?

As this is now done, I suggest we try to get them away from the camp and to the elves in the next few posts, so the battle can begin - sound alright with everyone? Durelin?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #263
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Hmmm. . . 50 to 60 light infantry, eh? *Ambarturion whets his sword* That seems about right.

Aman, do you wish to post anything for Coromswyth before the battle begins, or shall I put up another post bringing the envoy to morning? I will put in a save that I can either fill in or delete, depending on what you wish to do.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #264
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

No, I didn't intend to make another post for Coromswyth before morning, if that is alright with you, Fordim?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #265
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Aman

Sounds fine to me -- I just wanted to know if you wished to post for the envoy before I went ahead. With your blessings then, I shall bring us to morning.

BTW -- Saw your pic on the (re)new(ed) picture page. Pretty much as I'd imagined you, but please do tell me that the pic is at least a couple of years old: you look so young.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #266
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

*Ears perk up* Renewed picture page? Hmm...'scuse me a moment...

If it is the one I suspect it will be, then yes, it is a few years old - it was taken was I was 12 maybe, or 13 - certainly, yes, it is several years old.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #267
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Enough is enough!!

All right, that is now the third time I've moved my post down, as everyone's been cross-posting and I want my post to come at a point that makes sense. . .

but this is just getting crazy. I'm just going to leave 'er where she is for now and see what happens with you all!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #268
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Firstly, apologies, Fordim, that may have been my fault, as I accidentally thought that I'd posted before Aylwen, which would make no sense, since my post takes place 'on the road' so to speak, and in her's, the men of the South are still preparing for departure. Of course, I was mistaken, (old eyes are, in the words of this generation 'T3H 3V1L'). So, I have a post up...obviously. Thrakmazh is being himself, wants a piece of the elves (literally...yes, I'm lookin' at you, Fordim), and basically as evil as he wants to be. I controlled Urkrash more than intended, so tell me if anything is wrong. Can't wait for our little elf/orc/man battle, as I fear those dastardly elves shall put up quite a fight.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #269
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

"Who are you lookin' at? Hey? Who are you lookin' at? Who the **** are you lookin' at?

"Are you lookin' at me? Are you lookin' at me? I don't see nobody else here so you must be lookin' at me."

(Apologies -- and my profoundest regrets for your deprivation -- to any and all who do not recognise the above.)
Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #270
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

I started it . Sorry Fordim.

Although I think it looks pretty neat now. 'tis a good read folks.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 AM   #271
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

We've breached the hill's foot and the Orcs are moving upward. There's a small undercut at the hill's base that would hide much of the movement were a small force to break off and make for the back way up the hill, while the grunts draw the Elves attention and fire
Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #272
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Orcs, Southrons, Fordim, tell me what you think of the post. If there are any desperate corrections you think should be made, let me know.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM   #273
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
Orcs, Southrons, Fordim, tell me what you think of the post. If there are any desperate corrections you think should be made, let me know.

Brilliant, darling, brilliant! Fabulous!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #274
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Just as notification and possible clarification (no monosyllabic words here), my SAVE is now filled. Make of it what you will...

*takes deep, evil breath and prepares self*

Old 07-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #275
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
My save (from earlier today, at about ten till five) has also been filled. Ehan mocks the lady Elf and her capture.

-Aylwen
Old 07-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #276
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I have filled my save as well, just to let everyone know. Thorvel's tensions with the rest of the troop have been cleared up, for now anyway.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #277
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

The Eye Okey dokey...

I have filled in my save and have posted...I am praying that they fit in at least relatively well. It is sad, when the game owner herself is unsure of what she is doing...

Now that the prisoners are captured (and skillfully done, on both sides!)...I like this plan: The prisoners are brought back to the army camp, and there, Herding may do whatever he wishes with them...and then send them back to Dol Guldur as prizes. How does this sound?

The question arises: who will be a part of the party that 'escorts' the prisoners back to the fortress. If Arry might be willing to let Snikdul and Gromwakh be a part of this troop, I think they would be a nice addition. I know Calenvasa would most likely be able to show mercy, if they tell him what he wants to know.

The escort will also need a leader, but I don’t want to waste any of our Captains, so perhaps a carry along/secondary Captain would be best…Unless, of course, someone wants to die or simply escape in the chaos... If anyone would like to take up a small role for a time, until the scouts kill you…please let me know. If not, I would of course not mind taking it up. Or, if anyone would like theri character to be a part of the escorting party, just let me know.

Pio – Is a brief bio needed for the secondary role? Thanks.

And I’d like to give everyone a great round of applause…marvelous posts!

-Durelin

Last edited by Durelin; 07-10-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #278
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

If my character weren't so evil, I'd feel some very (veryveryveryveryvery) mild pity for him. Everyone's out to get him now, or at least something of his. Elves, orcs, Southrons and everyone else. Well, all part of the on-the-job hazards of being a megalomaniacal villain....Hmmm, I think I'm going to put that on my business cards.

-I do have a suggestion. If the escort troop is to be made up of orcs, perhaps Thrakmazh (or Koran/Herding, if said escort is one of Southrons) could simply appoint a lieutenant to do the job. If such were the case, he might single out Snikdul or Gromwakh to do the job, or Urkrash, or whomever. Anyone could, of course, simply be part of such a unit, but Grom and Snik were part of the initial few orcs who survived the battle: there were 20-40 to begin with, and I'm assuming that many were slain. Thus, all survivors might warrant some merit from Thrakmazh. But, my ideas are but here and there, so make what decision you want.

P.S. Great posts Fordim and Aman: Having good protagonists really makes being an antagonist more fun. And, also, brilliant stuff by everyone else. Is it just me, or is this game going very well?

Last edited by Kransha; 07-10-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:32 PM   #279
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Your suggestions may be here and there, but I listen to them! And, hearing that suggestion...what I want to do is go with your suggestion. I overlooked the simple solution, as always.

As long as Arry and everyone else is alright with this, either Grom or Snik will lead the escort.

-Durelin
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #280
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

I put up a save before I saw Kransha's post.

However, is it alright if Herding gathers the two other captains. They probably want to torture the captivities first ...then Herding can propose that the Orc Captain finds two/one decent soldier(s) that will lead the captivities back to Dol Goldur who will be the characters you mentioned.