The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Viggo should be more excited!

Hey everybody, this is from TheOneRing.net-

The Review Journal caught up with actor Viggo Mortensen at CineVegas and got this juicy quote about his interest in ‘The Hobbit’ films:

Mortensen also said he would like to replay the “Lord of the Rings” part of Aragorn in future “Hobbit” movies that have been announced by “Rings” director Peter Jackson. “I’d rather not have another actor play the part I started out playing for Peter Jackson. And I had a lot of friends from that experience,” he said.

That's all the guy has to say? He played ARAGORN, one of the most beloved characters of all time in the best story of all time. Call me crazy, but if I played Aragorn in the trilogy, my reaction would be a little more enthused.

Just because he made a bunch of friends and he had the role first...that is his reasoning? Man, some of these actors don't know how lucky they are! (In my opinion)!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Maybe he knows Aragorn is not in TH, so he is not to excited about the idea? Just a thought, I would be quite mad if I played a character in some books and then for the prequel for the books the character was not in it, and the director was going to cast me to fill a role that wasn't even there in the first place.

Anyway, maybe Viggo isn't too excited...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Same old, same old..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post

That's all the guy has to say? He played ARAGORN, one of the most beloved characters of all time in the best story of all time. Call me crazy, but if I played Aragorn in the trilogy, my reaction would be a little more enthused.

Just because he made a bunch of friends and he had the role first...that is his reasoning? Man, some of these actors don't know how lucky they are! (In my opinion)!
Well he nearly didn't take it the first time did he? And it isn't going to be offering much new is it? Frankly I am suprised you are suprised. The Hobbit film is being made to a formula - seen LOTR? Know the plot of the Hobbit? What is there to get excited about? - you know what is going to happen, how it is going to look etc .. you don't really need to see the film! So I am not suprised that meeting up with old friends is going to be the draw .... It is like going on holiday to the same place every year. It may be pleasant but it isn't going to be exiting like discovering a place you have never been to previously.

I am sure that I would be more excited by the prospect of the film if there were going to be a new approach.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

''Viggo, the hook is: this is Aragorn ... before he turned all kingly and goody-goody. That's right: EVIL STRIDER!!!!''

Now that would be an exciting role for him. Wouldn't please the Tolkien purists but I do believe most of them have given up on the films anyway.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Viggo Mortensen is a professional actor. He earns his living from acting in movies. He has an agent who negotiates his contracts. Do you really expect a savvy professional to wear his heart upon his sleeve and gush like the proverbial schoolgirl at the chance to be in another film? He did the right thing by announcing his willingness and now will sit back and let the principals work things out to his benefit.

He said exactly the right thing.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Viggo Mortensen is a professional actor. He earns his living from acting in movies. He has an agent who negotiates his contracts. Do you really expect a savvy professional to wear his heart upon his sleeve and gush like the proverbial schoolgirl at the chance to be in another film? He did the right thing by announcing his willingness and now will sit back and let the principals work things out to his benefit.

Not to mention he may be looking for a new and more challenging role. He's been Aragorn. Though an actor may love a role, many don't like being typecast as such.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Viggo is also a very understated guy.

Still, I can't help but think that with an Oscar nomination under his belt he might think a mass-market popcorn movie something of a step backwards...warring, of course, with a natural possessiveness of the character.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mortensen is also an artist/photographer, poet etc.. I don't know if he is the kind of artist whose work) commands a fortune (or if it does so more than in part due to his acting fame) and I don't think many people make much out of poetry (though Tolkien's Bombadil was an exception that proves the rule). But one way or another he surely is in the lucky position to choose the work he does and has plenty of ways to occupy his time when not acting.

And though he is clearly remarkably fit he is in his fiftieth year and will have to play his character younger, ten years later. All told, it isn't a total no-brainer that he would want to reprise the role.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I have to agree, Viggo's reaction isn't all that surprising. I want to add on to WCH's comment:
Quote:
Still, I can't help but think that with an Oscar nomination under his belt he might think a mass-market popcorn movie something of a step backwards
It's not that Viggo is a stuck-up, full of himself actor, he reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis. To bring up another comparison, Viggo isn't going to come down with the Michael Caine syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I think Michael Caine is a accomplished, brilliant actor, and I love his stuff. However, Caine will take pretty much whatever role is offered to him. He has over-sold himself, and will take lesser roles, lesser quality films. As brilliant of an actor he is, he has accepted a lot of crap roles and been in a lot of crap hollywood films.

Going back to Mortensen and Daniel Day Lewis, because I asked why isn't DDL in more movies? He is a phenomenal actor, and one of the most desired actors in the business. But, DDL will not cave in to the hollywood pressure of becoming overused. He will give it his all in every role he accepts, but it's going to be a character DDL wants to play, and he wants to make sure it's worth all the effort. After watching Viggo in History of Violence, LOTR, Eastern Promises, I asked why isn't he in more movies? As much as I want to see Viggo (and DDL) in more movies, they are going to take a role they want to play, and make sure their efforts are worth it.

Now, I'm not saying The Hobbit is going to be a crap Hollywood film, because there is tons of potential for it. This could be a great film, just as LOTR was a great film, but as TheGreatElvenWarrior said, before Viggo gets gung-ho about playing Aragorn, he will have to know how big of a role Aragorn will be in the films. I can't blame him for that.

Chris Lee boycotted the ROTK premiere, because he found out his scenes were cut from the movie. When asked if he was going to go to the premiere, he pretty much said "No, what's the point?" And I don't blame Chris Lee for that either. He committed his time, talents, and effort into playing a role he was asked to play, only to find out his character was axed from the film. That's got to be aggravating for any actor. I can imagine Viggo wanting to know if he agrees to return as Aragorn, and he takes the time to commit himself completely to the role (as he so excellently did in the LOTR films) will he get the Chris Lee treatment? Is it going to be worth the effort? That's not any kind of snobishness from Viggo, that's just a sensible actor who wants to make to make sure the effort he puts into acting isn't wasted.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post

Yeah, yeah, whatever. I would be more excited to play such a character, even if it was for the second time.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Yeah, yeah, whatever. I would be more excited to play such a character, even if it was for the second time.
And you also love the books too, which means that you have more of an attachment to them and the character than Viggo. Maybe viggo wants something new?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Strange as it may seem, I find myself agreeing in principle with Sauron the White's point about Mortensen's comment. Mortensen doesn't need to sell himself through his own hype, which is a refreshing tone and style in the overblown world of blockbuster actors. He's too cool a guy to gush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
And though he is clearly remarkably fit he is in his fiftieth year and will have to play his character younger, ten years later.
Well, there is also that tooth that he broke during a stunt for LotR, isn't there? I suppose it will have to be capped for authenticity's sake if he is to appear as a younger Aragorn, unless it is broken as part of the newly written part of Aragorn for the bridge movie, maybe in a fist fight. Imagine Arwen being solicitous about such damage.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
He's too cool a guy to gush.
So if you're not cool, you gush? I don't get it. It doesn't matter if people do not agree with me, that's fine - but just because Viggo is a "cool guy" - and I'm sure he is - doesn't mean he can't show a little excitement. I just feel this way because I love Tolkien and I can't imagine why somebody wouldn't seem a little more excited about playing such a beloved character, again. Maybe he doesn't realize how lucky he is?

Oh well, dead end convo, it's really no big deal at all, I just thought it was an interesting remark.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Hey MM, what's up?

This is the entertainment business, where it doesn't always pay to wear your heart on your sleeve. Sometimes, playing hard to get is in your best interest. I'm also sure that Viggo's agent would caution him against emotional displays at this point.

Imagine that he gushes about it, then they end offering the part to someone younger, then he looks like an idiot and gossip columnists bring it up for at least a week (and it goes into his file, and everyone who writes a story on him from now until doomsday may mention it).

Viggo is also... different. A friend of mine did an interview with him and the report on him is that he really is a very calm, chilled-out guy. So it makes sense.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Miss Squadilla
Newly Deceased

Miss Squadilla has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Vigo sucks. On the EE DVDs there is this interview with the actors and he said that he wouldn't have taken the role if his son didn't make him, because Vigo had never read LotR but his son had. That alone makes me not like him.

HOLY **** THERE IS A YELLOW BOOTS POST ICON?!?!?! I AM SO USING THAT!!!!! BOMBADIL FTW!!!!!!!!!
Miss Squadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

He's an actor.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #17
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Squadilla View Post
Vigo sucks. On the EE DVDs there is this interview with the actors and he said that he wouldn't have taken the role if his son didn't make him, because Vigo had never read LotR but his son had. That alone makes me not like him.
Does that make you like Chris Lee then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Chris Lee boycotted the ROTK premiere, because he found out his scenes were cut from the movie. When asked if he was going to go to the premiere, he pretty much said "No, what's the point?" And I don't blame Chris Lee for that either. He committed his time, talents, and effort into playing a role he was asked to play, only to find out his character was axed from the film. That's got to be aggravating for any actor.
Not to mention he is a big Tolkien fan. Poor Lee. I haven't heard of this before.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Assuming this isn't a DNFTT situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Squadilla View Post
The full story is that he hadn't read the books at the point he was offered it (when filming has already started as a replacement), and that he didn't want to spend so long so far away from his then quite young son. Only when that son explained what he was turning down did he agree. I wouldn't say he sucked for putting his son before work.

Unless you just dislike everyone who hasn't read the book? A little excessive surely? Not everyone gets it... their loss, have compassion.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Not to mention he is a big Tolkien fan. Poor Lee. I haven't heard of this before.~Lindale
That was many a years ago (or so it seemed ), but I think Lee, PJ, and everyone put the event behind them. When asked if he would like to come back as Saruman in The Hobbit, he was very excited about that chance. Now, however it seems like he's realizing he simply won't be able to do it. If he were to play Saruman, he would be expected to make the trek to New Zealand, to shoot scenes, and Lee said at his age, and with filming being at least 2 years away, he doesn't think he'll be able to do it. However, he did add that he would love to be the voice for Smaug, as he doesn't have to head way down under to do that. Anyway Lee is involved in the films I think would be a major plus.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...I liked Viggo far better in History of Violence and Eastern Promises. He was a rather weak Aragorn in my estimation. I could care less if he is replaced in The Hobbit Deux. It wouldn't be hard to explain away a replacement, actually, particularly since the role calls for Aragorn to be decades younger. I would think retaining Liv Tyler as Arwen would be far more germane to the movie, considering Arwen would be unchanged, whereas Aragorn would be drastically younger.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
He was a rather weak Aragorn in my estimation.
Under Guillermo's talented direction, Viggo could very well become everything Aragorn was meant to be. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's possible.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #22
Diane C
Pile O'Bones

Diane C has just left Hobbiton.
Physically Viggo was perfect for the role of Aragorn, especially facially and the way he had his hair hang - exactly how I envisaged (and hoped) after reading the books.

However, the only problem I had with Viggo was his voice/accent. It just wasn't all that commanding or powerful enough to be honest. For example there was the scene in ROTK where he tells the captain of the Corsair Ships "You may go no furher. You may not enter Gondor!" But it was delivered in such a feeble & washed-out way that I wasn't convinced this guy was going to the King of anything.

The other example from the same film was the scene where he spoke to King Of The Dead first time around. The King says "The dead do not suffer the living", Aragorn replies with "You will suffer me!" But again the commanding booming delivery just wasn't there and kind of diminished the power of Aragorn in my eyes as much as I love Viggo
Old 09-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well Viggo isn't really tall or dark enough to match the book description for me but he had such a strong physicality and was similar enough to Bean and Wenham to create the illusion of a shared heritage that I think the casting worked.

However, this is the online version of an interview I read in the paper the other day which may be of relevance to this thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...fmorten126.xml

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #24
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
He's very interesting, but not my picture of 'regal'.

That article has me wondering if he will be in the movies or out. Only time will tell, I suppose.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #25
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
I dunno. Just from material on the EEs and various interviews over the years, Viggo strikes me as a man of few words. I think that as a seasoned man of the business, he's not going to get his hopes up now about playing Aragorn again. He knows that tt's too early in the process, and anything could happen.

He seemed to really love playing Aragorn once things got started. So I think he'd probably like to take another stab at the role, should it come up.

Also, he may not want to come on too strong. Life in Hollywood is a lot of politics. And perhaps appearing a little "cool" might help him get a better deal with the role instead of just getting offered less than he could make because he's clearly excited. I don't know if Viggo is the kind of guy who is motivated by money or not, but he probably doesn't want to get gypped all the same.

I think his response was appropriate.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but I really liked him a lot as Aragorn. He looked right, and he had the right "feel" to him--earthy and a little bit dangerous...but also that there was more to him than met the eye.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #26
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
The full story is that he hadn't read the books at the point he was offered it (when filming has already started as a replacement), and that he didn't want to spend so long so far away from his then quite young son.
The same can be said for Sir Ian McKellen, who hadn't read Tolkien's works before he was on the set, but just seeing the films alone from this fact shows how amazing his contribution and interpretation was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna
Though an actor may love a role, many don't like being typecast as such.
Oh definitely, it's especially horrible when you come across a new or continuing actor that has an amazing first film, but you start to catch on by their fifth film that they're being turned into a 'one role only'. Like 90's era Steve Buscemi. I like his work, but in his early to mid-90's films you always run across the same typecast, over and over again.

As others have said, I believe he's just weighing his outcomes and the possible inclination of being in TH, it appears as a tricky decision, no doubt.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #27
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
If Viggo's not interested,
you want irony? How about casting Peter Townsend
as a young Aragorn!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
The possibility of becoming typecast is irrelevant for Mortensen as he is planning on retiring very soon anyway. What a better way to go out than by reprising his most famous role!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #29
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
If Viggo's not interested,
you want irony? How about casting Peter Townsend
as a young Aragorn!
That's just... Gross and inhuman punishment.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #30
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
The possibility of becoming typecast is irrelevant for Mortensen as he is planning on retiring very soon anyway. What a better way to go out than by reprising his most famous role!
But that doesn't mean it was his favorite. He's pretty dedicated to his craft. I'd think he'd be more interested in portraying a more powerful role as his last role than simply reprising his role from the LOTR franchise.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #31
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor
The possibility of becoming typecast is irrelevant for Mortensen as he is planning on retiring very soon anyway.
So do you know what he's planning on doing? Directing?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I guess it is possible but it isn't as if he spends his days watching daytime TV when he isn't on set... he may find the painting, writing and photography artistic fulfilment enough - and one where he has contol without having to make compromises with the studio paymasters and deal with those temperamental brutes, actors.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
So do you know what he's planning on doing? Directing?
He wants to do art and stuff.