The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 05 - The Window on the West

This is the chapter for Faramir fans! He is definitely the most important character in it; we learn much about him, but also much (Gondorian history, etc.) from him.

It is interesting how the feeling of danger and safety in Ithilien goes back and forth in this chapter. At first, it seems that Frodo is in danger, on trial by Faramir. Then, when his suspicion is allayed, a feeling of security returns, only to be dispelled by the knowledge that travelling is dangerous following the raid. At the close of the chapter there is a haven, brief though their stay there is.

Faramir is another of Tolkien’s good characters who is yet dangerous. He is shrewd in his assessment of the situation and has knowledge that enables him to combine facts and jump to the right conclusions quickly. He is loyal to his city, his people, and his family, showing his love for Boromir though he is aware of his failings. In that, and in his judgement of Frodo and Sam’s character, he shows his ability to make good evaluations of persons.

He shows his truthfulness in several statements:
Quote:
I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood.

We are truth-speakers, we men of Gondor.
And he lives up to his words. By the end of the chapter, he has convinced even Sam of his trustworthiness.

Tolkien’s skill in story-telling is shown in the connection between the threads of the tale – Frodo and Sam find out about Boromir’s death, though they were no longer there to know of it. And interestingly, looking ahead, Faramir’s experience with the two hobbits will come into the other thread later on, in Minas Tirith, comforting Gandalf and Pippin somewhat.

There is also a connecting element in Faramir’s telling of past experiences he had with Boromir and Gandalf. We find out more about them, their personalities, and the history of Gondor in his conversation with the hobbits (a skilful way to weave ‘facts’ into the narrative). We also hear more about Rohan’s history and its connection with Gondor, including some general history of the race of Men.

I find it rather amusing that Sauron is called “He whom we do not name” or the “Nameless One” by Faramir – shades of Harry Potter!

The description of the waterfall in the setting sun is gorgeous, isn’t it?!

It is interesting to compare the conversations of Frodo and Sam, respectively – the difference between them is shown vividly, and we get to know both a bit better from what they say.

There are too many wonderful lines in this chapter – I can’t even begin quoting them, at least if I did, there would be nothing left for anyone else to quote! I do want to mention Sam’s description of Galadriel though – he may apologize for its lack of poetic quality, but I think there is a good deal of poetry to it. Wouldn’t I love to have someone describe me that way!

This introduction has only scratched the surface of this fantastic chapter. I look forward to a great discussion with many of you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote