Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Back again. Boromir88 - I've added a bit of description to my earlier post (#20) to try and lead into your description in the save. Here is what I put:

Quote:
The last to be rescued had been Rory. The young lad had been half drowned, until Bingo had managed to drag him over to the tree stump, and others had come to guide him to the shore.
Please let me know if I should edit this in any way, after you finish filling in that save. Anything you want me to say is fine: I just thought we might want to include Rory in the descriptive lead-in I put up.

Meanwhile, I am going back now to fill in my save that comes right before yours.

Cami
Old 01-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #42
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

That's fine Child, I didn't have anything in mind, Rory was just going to add some extra words to the conversation.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #43
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

The rest of my post is filled, no curves this time, I just wanted to make sure Child didn't throw in any trickses .
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #44
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My save is filled as well. I now have the pleasure of introducing Sassy Brandybuck, to be played by Primrose Bolger. She will have a post up soon, and we will hopefully ( ) be able to continue without further mishap, at least for a while...
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #45
Child of the 7th Age

Private comment meant only for Sondo's eyes: A hobbit lass? You let a hobbit lass stowaway on our raft? And worst of all your twelve-year-old sister? This is terrible! This is an even greater mishap than dumping our personal supplies...

Public Note:

Welcome, Primrose! I'm very glad you'll be joining us in this RPG.

Unfortunately, Bingo may feel slightly less sympathetic to your character. I guess we'll just have to try and work things out.

Your fellow adventurer,

Bingo Brandybuck
Old 01-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #46
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome, Primrose; nice to have you aboard.

*Enca dons her Reggie suit and scampers off to the game*
Old 01-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #47
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
Meet Sassy:

-o-o-o-

NAME: Sassafras Brandybuck; “Sassy”, for short

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: A small sling with a pouch of nicely rounded river rocks; a pair of sharp scissors which are supposed to be kept in her sewing box; her knitting needles

APPEARANCE: 2’ 4”; an unruly mop of copper colored curls frames a round, open face with inquisitive brown eyes and an easy, wide smile. There is a sprinkle of light freckles across her short nose. She is given to wearing her brother’s outgrown breeches and a bright red and yellow vest her Gammer Brandybuck made for her with numerous pockets just right for all the little things she finds interesting and likes to collect – in one of them, is a small carved whistle from her Da.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Daredevil – life holds no fears for her, only possibilities. She is an easygoing, agreeable child, unless pushed. A quick thinker, prone to action; often ignores the consequences of those actions as long as they get her to her goal. She adores her older brother, Sondo, though he, for the most part ignores her. Much of her willingness to take a dare is her hopes that he will notice her. She thinks he is the most amazing person there is, and truth be told, she would like to be just like him. Her other hero is her Gammer Brandybuck. Sassy often sits with her, her young fingers fumbling over some piece of needle work or tangling yarn with her knitting needles, as Gammer tells of her own girlhood pranks and adventures.

HISTORY: Sassy’s history is much the same as Sondo’s. She is the youngest child, and suffers an odd combination of being both indulged and ignored by her parents. Her Da is busy with his little apple orchard; her Ma with the running of the household and her large garden. There are plenty of hands other than hers (the older boys and girls of the family) to help out, so she is left to her own devices. And reined in only as need be.

Her main preoccupation, of late, has been tagging along after Sondo . . . in as discrete and stealthy a manner as she can manage. He’s had that certain look in his eye which she’s come to realize spells the start of a grand adventure or scheme of some sort.

On the last one he and his friends found her out as she crept along with them. Much to her shame, her brother sent her packing back to the Hall. Her saving grace was that he did not tell on her later – but only because he did not care to let his parents know what he and his friends had planned.

She is determined to be part of this adventure and is looking for the chance to do so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo, Bingo!

She's just 11, but has a very large spirit for her tender years and small stature.

And you may be the one who needs sympathy if you tangle with her . . .

-o-o-o-

Enca and all

Looking forward to playing in the game with you!

-o- Primrose
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 01-12-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #48
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Welcome aboard Primrose (no pun intended...ok...maybe it was )
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #49
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Welcome Primrose (aka Sassy!) Looking forward to having you on board!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #50
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Welcome aboard Primrose (no pun intended...ok...maybe it was )
Don't be ashamed... my pun was entirely intentional.

I like the character, Primrose; she sounds like a real live wire!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #51
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I have a couple things to say here.

First - I love the way the way the game has started off. There have been some great posts, and the way this episode with the tip has resolved itself really bodes well for further 'mishaps' along the way. Keep up the good work everyone!

Second, on saves - if you are going to use them (and I have no problems with that!) please leave up a short description of what you plan to write. It makes it so much easier on everyone else who wants to post before you have filled your save if they have some idea of what will happen in your post.

Third, on the next week or two of posting - I want to wrap up the first day pretty soon. Briefly, here is what I have planned to happen in the next couple game days:
Day two - Not a whole lot. If someone wants to introduce a plot twist, great. However, I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on day two. This may be the time for spirits to rise again before the plunge...

Day three - Here is where the adventure really begins - early in the day it will start to rain, and the current of the river will have gradually increased so that in the evening the hobbits will lose control of the raft and be unable to get to shore for the night. The raft will crash on some rocks after nightfall. The hobbits may not be fully reunited until morning.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #52
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Please note:

1.) SAVES do need to contain a short explanation of what you intend to put in your post, so that other gamers can post around you.

2.) SAVES will be removed from the game after 48 hours. After that, you can post to the Discussion thread and asked for your post to be moved where it fits in.

3.) Please don't put 'reasons for editing' on the game posts. If others need to know the reason you edited - then put the reason on the Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 01-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #53
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I brought the game to the night of the first day. Someone else may move it on to Day 2, or I will if no one else does within about a day or two.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #54
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It is now Day 2. As I said before, I don't want to spend a lot of time on this day. Feel free to include time fillers in your posts (e.g. "and so the morning continued" and that type of thing), since I would rather have more time to spend on Day 3 and the following mini-adventure sequences than on Day 2, which probably won't see a lot of action.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #55
Child of the 7th Age

Firefoot,

I've gotten us down to lunch of day 2, and we've stopped to eat.

Primrose,

Softhearted Bingo has put out a latch to Sassy in the plot. If you'd like to pick up on that, please feel free. If you'd prefer to have Sassy remain aloof, or we get under way again too quickly, that's alright too (although I can always slot your reply into the end of my box, even if the thread continues on).

In any case, the ending of my post is open-ended enough to go either way. (If you do catch a turtle, feel free to use Bingo as needed.)

Cami
Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 AM   #56
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks, Primrose for that great post!

I've filled in my save and now the raft has resumed its southward journey. Perhaps someone wants to take us on to our evening's destination, and wrap up day 2 as Firefoot originally suggested?

Cami
Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please don't put 'reasons for editing' on the game posts. If others need to know the reason you edited - then put the reason on the Discussion Thread.

~*~ Pio
Old 01-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #58
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
I Am Soooo Sorry

I am so sorry. I have been in the hospital for the last couple of days. I got hit by a car walking across the street. I've finally reached a computer and I thoroughly apologize for my absence.

-Crystal-
Old 01-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #59
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
I got hit by a car walking across the street.

Glad you're okay.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #60
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Quote:
I got hit by a car walking across the street.

Glad you're okay.
Ditto that. It's quite all right, Crystal. Do we need to be carrying Sam along for you (even if just a little)?
Quote:
Perhaps someone wants to take us on to our evening's destination, and wrap up day 2 as Firefoot originally suggested?
That would be great...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #61
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sam won't need to be carried. I don't have much else to do except for sit around. Thankfully I only sprained my ankle. It's pretty bad and I have to wear an air cast and it is horrible with these crutches so I should be on more often in between studying.

-Crystal-
Old 01-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #62
Child of the 7th Age

Crystal

I hope you feel better soon!

Kitanna -

Good post! But I am wondering if we don't need to shift it back a bit. Firefoot has a post right before yours where we are plummetting down the river. Your own post ends before the raft gets started.

Firefoot and/or Kitanna - What if Pio or I cut and pasted this at the end of Encaitare's last post? Chronologically, Kitanna's post would seem to fit better there.

Cami
Old 01-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #63
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, here's the deal. I moved my post so that Kitanna's is before mine. I think this makes sense since Kitanna does mention how Sondo and Reggie caught some fish.

However, Kitanna, it would have already started to drizzle at the end of your post. Not pour, just chilly, wet drizzling. If you could change that then I think everything would be correct, chronologically and otherwise.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #64
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Crystal, don't be ashamed, we're just glad it wasn't worse.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #65
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks, Firefoot . That works much better than my earlier suggestion in view of the fish.... It just didn't seem to fit in at the very end.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #66
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I should have put my post here and asked to have someone put it in where it fit, but I didn't even think about that. So sorry.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Kitanna -

No need to apologize! It wasn't a clear cut thing at all. Plus, the give and take is part of the game.

Everyone -

We're close to 'lunchtime', only I'm not at all certain if Sondo is prepared to stop the raft. In any case, Bingo is feeling rather queasy, what with the raft bobbing up and down.

Cami
Old 01-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #68
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Well, Sassy tried to help . . .

The raft is mainly out of control and the poles that were used to push and steer the raft seem to have fallen in the river.

Poor Bingo, I'm sure he's thrown up by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just pushed the 'bad luck' girl into the river.
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue
Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #69
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

After short turmoil on the boat, Sondo saved his sister (awww sibling love). Then I ended with Sondo asking who's with him to try to pull the boat to shore...If there are any objections I will be glad to change them.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #70
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I like the way everything is picking up here. I will have a post up soon, hopefully within a couple hours but maybe not until tonight. I may put up a save anyway - I'm not sure yet.

Kitanna - (I'm not picking on you, really - it's not your fault. This has happened to me before, where posts just get written in the wrong order.) If by the subject line in your save you mean that Marroc will be helping Sassy get the raft to shore (which is the impression I got - tell me if I'm wrong), I think we're going to need to move some posts around again. The sequencing would probably work better if yours came before Boromir's. If that is the case, Boromir, would you mind moving your post to after Kitanna's?

Also, Boromir, this is really minor, but would you mind taking out the line where Sondo says "Who's with me?" He'd be more likely just to expect them all to listen... If you want, though, Sondo could give Rory some kind of pointed look, something more 'personal' between the two.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #71
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, my post is up (if sooner than expected ). I'm going to write a post "crashing the raft" sometime soon, as time permits. What should happen between now and then:

The hobbits, for whatever reason (rapids, maybe? Be creative!) start getting up and ignoring Sondo's safety precautions. Perhaps the storm could *temporarily* let up, and then return with a vengeance... At any rate, the raft will crash sometime in the late evening - I want it like this so that it is actually dark, and the hobbits will have a rather sleepless night, not meeting up until morning (does this sound cruel or what? ). Sorry for what seems like a break in the action right now - I hadn't planned on the storm picking up so violently already, and I'm trying to get us on to nighttime.

On post sequencing: with my post 'being in the way,' Boromir can't just move his post, so Kitanna, fill your save as you want and we'll work it out then.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #72
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
Also, Boromir, this is really minor, but would you mind taking out the line where Sondo says "Who's with me?" He'd be more likely just to expect them all to listen... If you want, though, Sondo could give Rory some kind of pointed look, something more 'personal' between the two.
Sure thing .
Old 01-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #73
Child of the 7th Age

Firefoot and fellow rafters

I am wondering if we have another minor conflict that needs fixing.

In Primrose's post, she says this:

Quote:
The rest of the steering poles, which had been stacked near her clattered into the river as the raft bucked on what was normally an area of low rapids, but was now swollen with rain.
I got the feeling that all the remaining poles (except for Sassy's broken one) went overboard. Or are there other poles than the stacked ones that Primrose had go over?

Firefoot's post for Sondo that comes later says this:

Quote:
Everyone else pair up on the remaining three poles and try to guide the raft closer to shore. We need to work together, everyone!”
So do we still have poles at the beginning of this post? (I understand they will all be lost in the later part of Sondo's post...)

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-23-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #74
Primrose Bolger
Wight

I did say that all the poles had gone into the water. If you still want the other three poles on the raft, please advise and I will edit

-----

I would like to discuss one thing that I noticed in this game. And it may be because many of you have gamed together and feel ok about using each others' characters.

I would like to be the only one writing for my character in so far as how she acts, speaks, or feels about whatever situation is going on. Any of you can, of course, PM me or put a note on the discussion thread saying you want to use my character in a certain way. We can then agree on it and you can leave me a 'hook' in your post to react to what you've set up.

I'll do the same for you as needed.

OK? Questions?

Respectfully,

-O- Primrose
Old 01-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #75
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Primrose--

I shall certainly honor your wishes regarding Sassy, but is a small bit of dialogue or action here and there okay? Nothing hugely deep or important, but just enough to move things along?
Old 01-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #76
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Prim and everyone -

I think that's a good thing to address. I know that I have been fairly liberal in mentioning other people's characters in my posts, and if anyone has a problem with something, please do say so. This goes for everyone. If you have a problem, please do speak up. We're not going to bite you. That in mind, Prim, do you have a problem with the way Boromir88 and I handled Sassy's 'rescue'? I think I'm going to edit slightly anyway (not reading close enough, again, see below) since I had originally though Sassy was partially overboard. As you requested, I will take out anything specifically saying how Sassy responded. Then you can deal with it as you like.

Concerning the poles -

That was my fault; I didn't read closely enough. How about this: Prim, you leave your post as it is. I think Kitanna is planning on having Marroc agree to help - this would leave them with one pole. I will edit my post accordingly.

Can you tell I was in a time crunch before? I may as well change my whole post.

EDIT: Okay, my post should now be in line with what the other posts are saying, and I've left Sassy's reaction up to you now, Prim.

Last edited by Firefoot; 01-23-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #77
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I'm also to blame here, I will refrain from using other characters...it's just I'm a dialogue person and the other RPG's I was in I had carry alongs for my character to talk to, so I've been too free in using other characters, from now on I'll just ask.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #78
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Thanks, everyone!

Just to answer your question, Encaitare - I really would prefer you just leave me a 'hook' to respond to or work along with your character. If you can just be very descriptive with what your character is doing and saying then I can have Sassy pick up on that.

Thanks, again

-o- Primrose
Old 01-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #79
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

I took off my save because I changed my mind on what Iwas going to say. Then I got a PM from Primrose about her changing her post so if it's alright I'm going to type up the post and put it in here tomorrow. If that's a problem at all let me know.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #80
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Kitanna

When you put your post here - just let us know where you want it fitted in (tell what post # you think it best comes after).

Either Child or I can then slot it in for you.

~*~ Pio