The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe The Puppy Wars

Dearest,

I need advice from some good, old-fashioned Tolkien fans on this one.

I recently got a new puppy. She is hopefully the first of three dogs that Boyfriend and I plan to adopt over the next year and a half. The puppy's name is Zara, it's both English and Arab, and she is a German Shepherd/Collie mix. We also plan to get a male Siberian Husky and name him Zizou, after one of our favourite footballers (eat your heart out, Materazzi).

*cough*

To get straight to the point, I would like to give our third dog a literary name. I think a Tolkien-ish name would be great. Of course, I am not sure about the breed name, and what name would go with what breed. I do plan to get a medium to large dog though, and I do plan on getting another male, I know that much.

The bigger problem is Boyfriend. He does not want a name that sounds "silly." We've been arguing about this for a while.

This is where you come in. If you were to give your dog a Tolkien-inspired name, what would it be? And what's a Tolkien name that's not "silly"?

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

Kiss kiss,
Lush.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I think you should admit defeat, Lush. They're all silly.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well if you are OK with Zizou just about anything will be OK.. .possibly dwarvish /mannish rather than elvish would be best since you need something you can call with authority so maybe Gimli, Balin, Barliman.... some of the "stronger" sounding elvish elements might work like Cirdan or Cirion. Maybe not Carcharoth or Draugluin though...

However I just wouldn't have a dog (well a bedlington maybe) and it doesn't really matter what you call cats....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There are several LotR names that can be abbreviated to sound like normal real life names: Sam; Merry; Theo (from Théoden)...

Or if the dog turns out to be female: Rosie; Diamond; Elanor - the Hobbit names tend to sound very normal.

Just flip through your "Foster's Guide" for more ideas.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I quite like Turin for a dogs name, sounds quite normal.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good idea Kath. Turambar is even better, I think, (would give any dog a sense of dignity) but Boyfriend may beg to differ.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
How about Maxacár? It's a compound Quenya word that I've just made up from:

soft maxa, moica, mussë

head cár (cas-), nóla, toldë

Or, in Sindarin, Modôl from

soft moe

head dôl

I couldn't find a world for "silly" or even "foolish" or "ridiculous" so I thought "soft in the head" (the original meaning of "silly") would do. Both could easily be shortened to more boring names: Max or Moe.

Alternately, either would do as a petname for said Boyfriend, who need not be informed of their etymology.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm, one of the guide dog breeders my old boss knew had named a series of litters with Tolkien influenced names. I personally liked Beren and Strider as doggie names. Strider is probably best suited to a leggy breed such as a Weimeraner or German Pointer. Beren maybe for a sturdy dog such as a Mastiff or Boxer.

Smeagol might be sweet for a tiny wee Pug, and Tulkas for a tenacious Border Terrier.

If I get another cat though, it's getting named Ozzy, even if its a girl - not that you can tell with a cat until its too late, hence the gender-confused Lemmy.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Trotter anyone? At best it sounds fit for a horse, at worst a pig.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If it's a large dog, Huan. Come on, who doesn't love Huan the talking Hound of Valinor?

If you were getting a small dog, I'd say Pippin. Though Samwise would also be very fitting for a dog, since he's so loyal and faithful and all that....

PS -- Or you could name him Eomer the Warg.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I'm actually rather taken with using Hobbit lastnames as dog names. Not that I've ever named a dog, but my first brain-cast over the Legendarium yielded up...

Proudfoot.

So I got to thinking about Brandybuck, Bracegirdle, Bolger, Gamgee, Maggot, and a good number of other Hobbit surnames- and how they seem rather doggishly appropriate.

Am I nuts?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Maggot? Er...

I've always rather liked Strider, but the name works best for a leggier breed, I'd say. It works well for a name, too, because it's easy to say.

Some Dwarvish names might work - Thorin, Fili, Kili, or Balin would be my picks there.

I would probably stay away from most Elvish names; for one thing, a lot of them are long (you could always shorten, though, which may be a good alternative) - one or two syllables are usually best for names - and the Elvish is probably a lot closer to what your boyfriend would call "silly".
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Form, you'd name a dog "Maggot"? Poor thing. EDIT: Cross-posted with Firefoot, who has similar reservations...

"Gandalf" is a good, sturdy, dignified name, one that a dog can grow into -- and it works either way: if your dog turns out to be a real dummy, then Gandalf plays ironically; if your dog is unnaturally wise (I know, a longshot, but I have known wise dogs in my time), then it's a perfect fit.

"Many are my names: Gandalf to my mommy, Big Dummy to my daddy, Hey You! to the neighbor; to the woods beyond the back yard I go not."
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I once heard someone call out to their dog Strider at a pet store. It's a very cool name- especially for large, slender dogs.

As for other names:

Male: Beorn, Nori, Dior, Elros, Elu, Mîm,

Female: Elenna, Narya, Nessa, Vana

Hobbit names make great pet names and most aren't immediately recognized as Tolkien: Milo, Bowman, Elanor, Fosco, etc.

Places also make great names: Hollin, Anduin, Rhun, Andor, Arda, Aros, Lorien, Taras, etc.

Quote:
So I got to thinking about Brandybuck, Bracegirdle, Bolger, Gamgee, Maggot, and a good number of other Hobbit surnames- and how they seem rather doggishly appropriate.
Actually, I really like Gamgee as a dog name.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
I agree with Mithalwen. Balin would be great

And if you get yourself a fierce dog and plan to train him to rip people apart, call him Garm or Grond.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #16
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think you should stick with the 'Z' theme and choose

Zirak

A Dwarvish name for Zirakzigil

Taken of course from the encylopedia of Arda.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
By the way, checking my Foster's Guide to follow up on morm's idea of sticking with "Z" names, I discovered that your first dog Zara has an abbreviated Shire name - the Hobbit name 'Oldbuck' is - Zaragamba!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 AM   #18
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Dagnir is a good one. Dag for short, then when you play fetch you can shout "Dag nab it!" Not a 'Z' though, I afraid.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 08-03-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

My favourites, Bilbo and Pippin, were rejected by Mrs Saucepan. Although, she was the one who decided upon Frodo (something to do with his big, heart-melting eyes when she picked him up).

I was toying with the idea of something in Elvish but the variants for "Black Dog", Morhű and Hűmor, somehow didn't sound appropriate. But you might try an Elvish translation of something suitable (I wonder what the Elvish for head-butting captain is? ).
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #20
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hehe, Maggot is a funny name. But some people might think you are a Slipknot fan! Might be better for a rat actually, as would Wormtongue.

There's also Huan the Hound. Or Bill, if he's one of those dogs that's so big he's pony sized and it looks like you could ride on him (do not attempt this at home, kids).

I have to say my favourite out of all these is Pippin, which is really cute, but not "eyuw" cute, if you know what I mean!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #21
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Well, the ones I've heard so far that I really like are Balin (from Balin), Zirak (from morm), and especially Rhun (Brinniel's).

Have you thought at all about Estel? Good short name with strong Tolkien merit... and it's not altogether 'silly'. Or perhaps Smaug? Boyfriend would probably think you were saying Smog, which seems a little dirty. (I mean in a dirt sense, not like perverted! ) I'd also give thought to Narsil, Sauron, Rauros, Falas, or Lhun if I were you.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #22
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I find Sauron to be a slightly disconcerting name for a pet.

Whatever you do, don't name him Barney.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Oh wow, thanks guys!

How could I forget Estel? Or Gandalf for that matter?!

Right now we're thinking that the possible third dog will be a guard-dog. I grew up with a female Doberman as my friend and protector, and she saved my mother's life twice, so the connection is strong there. A Doberman named Estel might be perfect.

If I go the German Shepherd route, however, Gandalf would be a great name.

Also, Gamgee, Milo, Modol (thanks, F!), Tulkas, etc... Well, I could go on, but this thread is brimming with good suggestions.

Of course, Huan is a wonderful name for a dog.

Have you guys heard about the monks of New Skete? ? They tend to give their dogs Tolkien names, only not names I would like:

Mordor's Winter, for example. What's up with that?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #24
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I find Sauron to be a slightly disconcerting name for a pet.
Yeah, I agree. I thought about putting an aside comment beside that suggestion. Something along the lines of "that is, if you want him to be evil." But really, if you had a mean dog, or even just a mean looking dog, Sauron would be a good name. Or at least I think so. And it sorta-kinda sounds like it could start with a "Z", so there's another plus.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! Posting the dog

Well, I would have thought that Gandalf would be more suitable for a cat. After all, we all know that cats have nine lives and Gandalf has had at least two ...

A Doberman? Here I was thinking along the lines of a blonde longhair like a golden retriever or great dane. Then Legolas might do the trick--funny how no one has yet suggested this fleet-footed namesake--which could be shorted to "Las", to confuse the (male) dogs.

Or you do go one up from the Zeds and do Y: Yrch.

Then there's the Sindarin for fangs, Carack or Carag. Or go with Ulfang.

Or something more sophisticated such as Cćnînion.

Rawr!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Well, I would have thought that Gandalf would be more suitable for a cat. After all, we all know that cats have nine lives and Gandalf has had at least two ...

!
Especially since cats keep to their own timetable...and are wanderers.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #27
Lush
Fair and Cold

Silmaril

Quote:
Especially since cats keep to their own timetable...and are wanderers.....
In that case, a Siberian Husky would be perfect as a "Gandalf." Too bad we've already decided on Zizou for the Husky.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #28
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
I would have thought that Gandalf would be more suitable for a cat.
Really? I'm one of the few people that I know who loves cats and dogs equally, but honestly I think Saruman is far more cat-like than Gandalf -- arrogant, egotistical, slightly (or more than slightly) condescending, liable to turn and bite even when you're trying to help him. Gandalf, on the other hand, his whole existence is focused around people and helping and protecting them. Plus he has a good working relationship with horses. When your house catches on fire, Saruman is out through the cat door without a backwards glance; Gandalf might actually try to wake you up.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Uh oh, Monsieur Underhill. Prepare for a siege of angry cat-lovers.

My mother would disagree. Her cat, Fedya, is probably the most loyal creature on earth. Not as useful as a Doberman when a thug tries to rape you on the stairwell of your own apartment building, but a sweet pretty kitty who runs out to greet you when you come home nonetheless.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #30
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! A flame, I say, a flame! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
When your house catches on fire, Saruman is out through the cat door without a backwards glance; Gandalf might actually try to wake you up.
More likely call in the eagles for some fancy aerial reconnaissance and rescue at the last moment.

If only Lush were thinking of poodles, then we could contemplate blue rinses for them and consider Pallando or Alatar.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #31
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Pallando would be a fine name for a very aristocratic looking Russian Blue kitty. Whereas Smaug might be good for a Ginger tom, especially given their firey natures. I used to have one lived near me that was called Genghis because he was so fond of battle.

Rauros might be good for a guard dog too, as it sounds a bit 'tough'.