The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Felis Dei

Sting LOTR, a fairytale?

Do you think Lord of the Rings more resembles a myth or a fairytale/folktale? And why?
I know it is neither, but anyway I would be interested in hearing your opinion.
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

I think it's more of a mythic history than a "fairy-tale." I mean, it is Tolkein's third age myth for Britain, as it was described. The aspects and writing are designed to resemble a mythic piece of work, such as the Iliad or Oddysey (not written in verse, though). This also explains the amount of songs and poetry, relating to many legends. LotR and the Silm are intricate portrayals of Middle-Earth's past and present, written like a historic document with a more up-close and personal feel.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I think Kransha hit the nail on the head. A mythic history is exactly what I would call it. I don't really consider it a fairy tale just because...

1) Most of the fairy tales I have read have been pretty short (yes, I know there are most likely longer tales out there, it is just that I have not read them)

2)It does not contain fairy tale charaters in the generic sense (meaning there are no fairies, and the elves and dwarfs are much more real in a way)

3)It seems much more real in a way (And, yes, I have read the original non-disney Fairy Tales. LOTR is still different)

I think it could be kind of considered a story in the style of folktales in a way. But it would have to be considered a grand, mythic, folktale
Old 02-09-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that LotR is both a myth and a fairy tale. It is a myth because it is more of a story and it had more detail in it than a normal fairy tale. It also has a lot of poetry and songs in it that you would never find in a fairy tale.

I think it is also a fairy tale for a few reasons. It has a lot of fairy tale creatures in it, such as dragons, elves and dwarves. Also myths contain things based on fact. I don't think that anything in the LotR could happen in real life. Of course I could be wrong about my definitions of myhts and Fairy Tales. (Cringing at sudden hateful glances thrown in my direction)
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I definitly think it is kind of like a myth. Tolkein seemed to draw most of his inspiration from them and he was always interested in the few ancient myths England had.