The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #1001
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
For those wondering I have been evil since the second day. I was the first wolf selected after the three. And you thought I was only converted the last night!
I didn't. Well, actually, I didn't really it that much thought, I just knew I'd wanted you dead for a long time but couldn't manage any sort of decent argument for it. The one thing I felt I could have really used against you was the posts you made the last day you were alive, but Spawn took care of you before that was needed.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #1002
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
The first indication I got of him being evil was actually back Day 6 (I think it was Day 6, or was it 7? ) when he said his little bit about Lmp changing his mind about the quiet ones (aka, the non-voters/posters). Something about that post didn't sit right with me and hasn't ever since. Grrr!! I wish I would have lived!! That way, I could have been yelling "Lynch him! Lynch him!" at everyone instead of at the computer screen.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #1003
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
Ack! I protected a werewolf! Well, I was suspicious of him, but I thought if he were innocent Eomer would be a likely wolf kill that night... [/attempt to salvage my ego]

Congratulations to you wolves (and to the EW), though now I will never trust my former orcish companions Roa and Jenny. You two are just plain evil!

And excellently modded, LMP! This was a great game, and I'd like to see another Dueling Wizards. I hope you'll be modding again - I loved the narrations!
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #1004
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
The first indication I got of him being evil was actually back Day 6 (I think it was Day 6, or was it 7? ) when he said his little bit about Lmp changing his mind about the quiet ones (aka, the non-voters/posters).
If I had been smart I would have picked up on that. But actually, since I had just modded a game I could see the conundrum of being faced with killing your wolves for missing a day, and so I could see his point. I didn't actually think you were a wolf, though I thought Zali might be, but I still thought there wasn't anything wrong with Eomer getting that idea. Oh well, just another item to add to the list of the many things I did wrong this game. That's the problem, ain't it, the wolves were all such good players that even when they were suspected people just couldn't come up with lynch cases that other people would get behind. It's sadly true that the votes for Jenny came across as random and unsubstantiated, which only played into her hands. Tch.

Anyway, I might as well say it again, Lalaith you got everything right, so sorry I kept doubting you till it was too late.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #1005
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Hahahahahaha!!! That's for our fallen comrades (especially my dear father, Alcarillo), and, of course, the glory of the Evil Wizard herself! What an honour to slay innocent villagers with such talented players.

LMP, excellent modding. The family and relationship aspect especially made your narrations brilliant fun. I've been meaning to ask for a while now, is the Dueling Wizards concept your own?

I could talk about this for days (and probably will) but first, there is something I must say. Cailín, on that fateful night I was turned, I had no part in your death. That's the honest truth. I still love my family. Can you ever forgive me? Phantom?

Everyone played their part in this game, one of the most fun we've ever had.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #1006
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
For those wondering I have been evil since the second day. I was the first wolf selected after the three. And you thought I was only converted the last night! What a great game. I have more to say later but it was great working with Roa, I knew her identity, I believe I was the only one. I wish I had made it victoriously to the end but well done Jenny my Daughter, Eomer my nemisis and Kitanna my friend.
I have been wondering when you turned. Had a feeling it was early, though. Like Nilp, I thought you were the Good Wizard, even going so far as to think I spotted a code in one of your posts after the phantom died (as he'd suggested the GW should do). And replied in kind to the 'code.' That shows where overthinking does. At that point, I'd noticed that you and Roa seemed very similar in what kinds of things you were saying and thought she was your Seer.

Congratulations to the victorious evil team!

And great narrations, LMP. And a round of applause to the submods.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #1007
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I must congradulate Roa and her wolves on an excellently played game. It was fun relaying the messages back and forth and getting to see the Evil side's strategy. Well played game by our Evil players, you guys had them on ropes most of the time.

On another note, Diamond you were so dead on in the begginning I was contradicting myself thinking if only people would listen to you, but then that would mean bad news for the Evil players.

Thanks to all for sticking through the fun...and the craziness, it was definitely an...interesting ride.

And definitely much gratitude towards LMP and Kuru, it was a pleasure to help and work alongside both of you.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #1008
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I just looked at the family tree again and realized that Saucy and I were the only ones connected to Morm who weren't cursed.

Where did we go wrong with our girls, Saucy? I wouldn't blame you one bit for going through with that posthumous divorce now. It seems that my family is just plain evil.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #1009
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
For those wondering I have been evil since the second day. I was the first wolf selected after the three. And you thought I was only converted the last night!
Well, that's because I didn't realize you were a wolf until that last Day I was alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil, post #851
Gurthang if you come back will you give us another list of doom so we can have one last untainted list? It seems to have been very effective so far and I think 4 is a good number.
When I read that, the only thing I thought was: "Oh, Crap! morm's a wolf!" Hearing that request for another list would have sounded completely innocent coming from anyone else, but you.... you're too calculating and smart to want the list. I was so sure that you were trying to narrow down the 'possibly gifted' list that I would have done this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody, but it would have been me
Here's your list:

++mormegil

Kill 'em.
Unfortunately, Kuru posted the Wizard Battle before I could say anything about it. Luckily, spawn got you that Night.

Speaking of which... was it the family thing that tipped you wolves off to my gifteds? Or was it just a lucky guess? Say what you will about me choosing my family, but the only gifteds that survived for longer than the Night they were made were spawn, Kath, and Nilp. Caran and the phantom both died the Night I gifted them.

I think that me and my family should win, just because we were all on the same side for the whole game.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #1010
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Oh, and before I forget: Congratulations to Roa. You pretty much kicked my butt.

LMP, what say you to starting a Dueling Wizards Suggestion thread? That way we can talk about the game here, and give any thoughts and suggestions to the whole Wizards idea in another thread. Might keep things from piling up so much.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #1011
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
On another note, Diamond you were so dead on in the begginning
Er, I was? And here I keep thinking I was terribly wrong about everything, except for a few lucky gut feelings here and there.

Once we find out exactly what happened (I need some kind of clear diagram of who Roa cursed each and every night before I get it) I'm going to have to read back over the thread to see if it's all a little less confusing.

It was a very intense game. I had fun part of the time and wanted to die other parts. Excellent narrations by LMP, I have to say they were the longest and most detailed narrations I've ever seen! I'm eagerly awaiting the final narration.

Are you going to do something special with all those hearts, LMP?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #1012
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Kit, Jenny and Morm were far more aware of the family-aspect of the gifteds; I was pretty clueless.

I thought the gifteds were two out of Spawn, Kath and Lalaith. We didn't think that Spawn was the Hunter so we were pretty devastated to find Morm dead in the morning. Kath was a strange one: she had made a post claiming that the villagers were in real trouble and I didn't think a gifted would say anything like that.

Caranlondien's guarding of me really should have led to my lynching after the gifteds were revealed. Really.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #1013
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
LMP, what say you to starting a Dueling Wizards Suggestion thread? That way we can talk about the game here, and give any thoughts and suggestions to the whole Wizards idea in another thread. Might keep things from piling up so much.
There already is something like that. The "Taur-in-Gaurhoth Scenarios you'd like to See" thread, started by LMP. It's near the top of the page.

You did a wonderful job, Gurthang, I'm just sorry we couldn't win the game for you after you were gone. Those wolves were just too conniving.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #1014
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Caranlondien's guarding of me really should have led to my lynching after the gifteds were revealed. Really.

Oh rest assured, EoWolf, if we ever play together again I will not rest until you have died in a particularly nasty way....
Old 05-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #1015
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Could we maybe get a list of the people who volunteered to be a wizard? After so many people thought I might be the Evil Wizard, I'll make explicit here what I was implying during the game: I didn't even volunteer! The reason I didn't sign up until as late as I did was because I was genuinely awed by the complexity of the game.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #1016
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I volunteered. I despise being an ordo and volunteering to be a wizard seemed like the best way to insure I wouldn't have to be one.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #1017
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
What a wonderful game!

I cannot believe that you did not lynch Eomer. Well, I shouldn't talk maybe. As an outsider, I find it far easier to spot the wolves. But… it's just incredible… Every time he's like: I'm innocent! How could I be a wolf? I should have been dead! I'd be the worst wolf ever! Yada yada. And every time the rest of us are like: Surely he cannot be bluffing again. Surely.

But of course he is.

Quote:
Cailín, on that fateful night I was turned, I had no part in your death. That's the honest truth.
Yeah. Right.

*mutters* Evil. Wicked. Tricksy.

--

I'd love to see some stats for this game: who was turned when and how and why. Also, Elempi, why did you pick Gurthang and Roa (who both played their part perfectly)?

I did not volunteer, by the way, as everyone who closely read the scenario thread could have known.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #1018
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This must be the best game I've followed! Sadly I hadn't a chance to play it but the first two days...

Myself and Naria were the "original" wolves (with the possible addition on Loki - I'm not quite clear with this: so did he know before day1 started that he was first a wolf and then an ordo, or not?). We didn't know about each other or about Roa being the EW.

One more "revelation" concerning the first days. We have a history in these games with Roa. I have always been the innocent, she has been the evil every now and then. In our first game together (my first ever) I was a seer and Roa a wolf. I picked up on anything I just could lay my hands on and went after her with some passion. As Roa noted in the Grimoire...
Quote:
(I assign Nogrod as a seer to Mordor. That was rotten luck.)

Well, now she paid me back with similar handling. Although I readily admit her being much better in it in this game.

And really, in the end of day2 I started really to believe that Roa was the EW. She was so sure about her case on me, building it on every possible loose sentence or double-meaning, twisting all my sayings to her way. No-one dares to do that if one doesn't know what one is talking about. And as we had no seer with a dream around, well, she had to be the EW. So I couldn't kind of come up with any major efforts of counter-attacking or the like. Oh the frustration!

Special admiration:
Valier's hunches are just incredible! (And Roa turning her to a wolf the next night was just brillliant - and daring - tactics, Valier might have been the seer, she seemed so comfortable with Roa's guilt)
At least Fea was also on the right track on that part of the game, and had some good points to back them.

The remaining wolf-gang was just pure excellence! Great gaming Eomer, Jenny, Kitanna and Morm!

And LMP! Just great work here! The whole idea of the wizard-game, that it got through with no major problems, and the family-idea and how it was brought into the narration! Just excellent!

Thanks everyone!

It was enjoyable, even just to read...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #1019
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Hey, maybe I missed the boat here, and everyone else already knows, but I've really been wondering... who is Loki's "secret" friend?

Somebody thought it might have been me, but it's not.

And so I won't be wasting this post completely, here's some fun stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom, post #205
I'll go ahead and cast a throw away vote.

+ + Roa

...because Roa is a Wizard, of course.
And Cailin had me... I don't know where, but she mentioned my name as a Wizard.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #1020
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I thought it was morm, though that was just a guess.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #1021
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And Cailin had me... I don't know where, but she mentioned my name as a Wizard.
Actually, I had your name and Fea's down as the two wizards. I never took myself seriously, though. But when Fea started the Day of the duel by saying 'will you challenge, Gurthang?' for a while I thought I had the most brilliant intuition ever.

Was I disappointed. The award still goes to Valier.

In hindsight we should have known instantly. Roa and Gurthang were the only two explicitly defending Loki on Day One.

Last edited by Cailín; 05-27-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #1022
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Hey I was defending Loki too! I was just hellishly busy and therefore largely ignored. Until it was too late...bwahahahahhaaha!!!

I was a Night 5 wolf, to those interested.

Honestly I am about ready to be innocent the whole game. I've played 6 times. I have been an ordo 4 times, 2 of those I was turned into a wolf. I've been evil the other two times. It's getting quite ridiculous. I was surprised I wasn't drempt of earlier for safety's sake...
Old 05-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #1023
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That was the craziest game ever!!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself in this one. I was however only a wolf the day after my rampage on Roa, then lynched. I was sure if Roa was indeed the EW she would be wise to turn me to her side and it worked, she was indeed the EW. I did not know who any of the other wolves were, but I thought Morm came down on me a little hard after my switch to the dark side so I was pretty sure he was also a lupine. Great game from eveyone!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #1024
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Kit, Jenny and Morm were far more aware of the family-aspect of the gifteds; I was pretty clueless.
I was as clueless as you until someone mentioned it after Spawn and Kath died. Then I just sort of pieced things together.

I finally survived until the end and I'm glad to have done it with such sneaky teammates. Also ever since Morm got me lynched in my very first WW I've always been afraid of his wolfing skill and never wanted to be against him again, so I'm real glad I finished off the game on his side.

But a great game by everyone. It was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played in.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #1025
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I promise that the narrations will be coming. Now that I'm not under the gun for them, I plan on really juicing the last ones.

Quote:
LMP, excellent modding. The family and relationship aspect especially made your narrations brilliant fun. I've been meaning to ask for a while now, is the Dueling Wizards concept your own?
Uh, yes, it was my own. *LMP shrugs* I wanted to do a werewolf game that had a really strong Tolkienean thematic feel to it (at least to me), and I wanted to see if I could do something sort of like Saruman versus Gandalf, and then the creative juices got going. The rest is, as they say, history. Great fun modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Good thought. I'll do that. There is that "Scenarios you'd like to see" thread, but I think there will be enough discussion regarding "dueling wizards" to get its own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond
Are you going to do something special with all those hearts, LMP?
You'll just have to wait for the narrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Could we maybe get a list of the people who volunteered to be a wizard?
Sure. Here you go:

Kath
Diamond
Roa_Aoife
Valier
Sleepy Ranger
mormegil
Gurthang

I asked Kuru and Boro for their opinions, which I considered in my selection. I'll let them say any more about that themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
I'd love to see some stats for this game: who was turned when and how and why.
Coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
... did Loki know before day1 started that he was first a wolf and then an ordo, or not?
Yes he did.

And now, the List:

Night One
ew: Nogrod, Naria, Loki
gw: Loki
2 werewolves: Nogrod & Naria
kill: Elempi
Note: Loki cursed then uncursed in the same night; he knew .... and bragged about it.

Night Two

ew: Alcarillo
gw: Nilpaurion Felagund - - seer
dream: none
werewolves: Nogrod, Naria, Alcarillo
kill: The Saucepan Man
Note: Good Team strategic error #1: seer did not dream.

Night Three

ew: mormegil
gw: the phantom becomes the hunter
seer: Cailín (innocent)
the hunter: no pick
werewolf kill: the phantom
Note: the phantom refused to pick, wanting to discuss picks with the GW; he never got a chance.
Note#2: Valier's instincts should have been paid greater attention. We mods & submods were frankly boggling over how right-on she was about EVERYONE. Fuzzy logic, maybe, but on tarret.

Night Four

ew: Valier, Eomer, Nilpaurion
gw: Spawn
seer: Firefoot
werewolf kills: Gurthang, Cailín
Note: Gurthang was not killed but knew that he had been found out.
Note #2: Good team strategic error #2: naming the innocents far, far too early.

Night Five

ew: Jenny joins Alcarillo, Mormegil, & Eomer.
gw: Kath
seer: (Kath): no dream
hunter: (Spawn): Nilpaurion
werewolf kills: A. Firefoot. B. Nilpaurion
Note: Good team strategic error #3: the seer again fails to dream.

Night Six

ew: Kitanna
gw: Caranlondien
seer: (Kath) Roa dreamed of as Evil Wizard
ranger: (Caranlondien) protecting Eomer
hunter: (Spawn) hunted Sleepy Ranger
werewolf kills: Lommy & Caranlondien
Note: Good Team strategic error #4: gifted picks all in the family ... way too obvious.

Night Seven

seer dream: Diamond
hunter quarry: Mormegil
kill 1: Dancing Spawn
kill 2: Kath

Night Eight: Glirdan

Night Nine: Zali (narrative coming soon)

In my dry runs, I assumed that the Good Wizard would closely guard his/her known innocents as if they were a most prized possession. I was stunned when the innocents were named, and not surprised when Roa quickly dispatched them.

Narrative to come later tonight....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-27-2006 at 07:27 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #1026
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

If I remember all that I said about the EW was that I would not choose morm, because he's a solid player and would probably be scried/found out early on. And you did not want the wizards gone in the early going.

Now I apologize to morm, because seeing his conversations and so forth I think he would have made a very good EW. Morm, I officially give you the right to throw whatever you like at me. (This of course doesn't mean that Roa didn't do a fine job...the best EW by far!)

My hats off to her with the excellent stragedy of sacrificing some of her wolves (sorry Valier and Nogrod), and getting a set of wolves that put the village in awful spots.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #1027
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Final Narrative

Lalaith's parents had researched the lorebooks carefully and found one small instance of a name in an otherwise sad history of Men that struck their fancy. Sindarin for 'laughter' seemed just right for their little bundle of joy, and so they named her. Little did they know what fate awaited her.

She had lived her entire life in Sealville, and had made friends of the other women who either did not marry or found themselves without husband by fate. Married women looked upon her as frivolous and overly delicate. She knew this. And so she spent her time with Feanor, Valier, and Jenny. These four formed a clique that, unhappily, did not serve them so well when the Curse came. As the lorebooks of Sealville show, two of them were cursed to be werewolves, and two were not. Perhaps Lalaith was luckier than Feanor.

Things did not go well on the new day. Lalaith voted early for Eomer and stated her reasons. Eomer, Jenny, and Kitanna built a case against Lalatih, and the unfortunate Zali cast the deciding vote before Diamond and other villagers even had a chance to say anything.

Kitanna cried, "Quorum!" The four led the one to the beech tree.

"How fitting that the aunt shall suffer the same fate as the niece," murmured Eomer to Jenny, out of earshot of Zali.

"Any last words?" Kitanna asked.

"Yes," Lalaith said coolly, her eyes narrowing. "I'm looking at three werewolves and one dupe."

"A pity," said Eomer, and kicked the stool out from beneath Lalaith's feet. She died and did not change into a dead werewolf.

Eomer, Kitanna, and Jenny now turned to Zali.

"Woof!" said Jenny, smirking.

"Woof woof!" said Kitanna, grinning.

"Woofa woof woof!" yeowled Eomer, fangs suddenly listening.

Zali screamed and fled. The did not wait until sundown, which was still three hours off; they knew they had beaten the entire village. They gave chase and ran Zali down not a minute out of Sealville. They made hay of her anachronistically pinaforish gown with matching parasol, ripped out her heart and howled wolfishly over it, crooning to it as if they were phantom in love. Then they fell upon Zali with an appetite that could only be called, well, wolfish.

The next morning, Eonwe, Feanor, and Diamond gathered at the Watcher Rock along with Eomer, Kitanna, and Jenny. There they observed a new grave, where Lalaith now lay, and what was left of phantom's love.

"We're dead," Diamond said in a hollow voice. "Would that I had been slain sooner."

"We would be most gratified," Eomer murmured, "to fulfill your wish."

With that the werewolves overpowered the three remaining villagers and took their hearts before finishing their feeding frenzy.

That night, the three werewolves filed into Roa's basement and proferred the spoils of human hearts to the Shadow.

"You have done well, my werewolves," the Shadow purred. "One of you will become my new wizard. I shall meld these hearts into the power to make it so. Which one will it be?"

The three werewolves looked at each other with sudden hate and fear. Each of them wanted to be the next wizard. A murderous rout began. Fur was gouged. Blood flowed. Growlings and roars and howls were released from savage throats. Finally one werewolf struggled to its feet and waited for the Shadow's wizarding.

The Watchers turned and faced each other.

"This village has died," said the Lady.

"One survives and will spread the curse to another village," said the Man.

"Maybe we can somehow convey what must be learned from this village's sad doom," she said.

The Man nodded. "The innocent villagers failed to find common ground."

"It is most difficult when an evil wizard plays them like find strings of a lute."

"Yes, but they allowed her to play them so. They loved their families too well, their friends not enough."

"'Tis hard not to put loved ones first."

"Aye, but those not family must not be ignored."

"The good wizard's seers did not dream," the Lady said.

"A most unfortunate complacency killed this village," the Man said.

"Not least of the evils that befell this village, was that many fled the battle."

"Maybe," the Man said, "in the next village the innocent will take greater courage."

"Would that we could do more!" the Lady cried.

"Nay, we could; but our oath holds us back, as you know. Did we break our oath, it would have been much the worse for this village."

The Lady nodded. They stood and buried the three remaining corpses, then walked out of Sealville, following the path of the Shadow to the next village; they could see its trail of darkness as a stain upon the land.

The village of Sealville was reclaimed by the winds and rains and the slow onset of the dust of years. The lorebooks the villagers had gathered remain buried in the houses of the slain to this day.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #1028
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I know I was rather disappointed when I saw that my name had been revealed as innocent. I pretty much expected to die that night, and lo and behold... but it probably worked out for the better that way. That week just got busy for me - my grandparents were visiting, and I only see them once or twice a year, and then it was my brother's Confirmation on Sunday - I just wasn't going to have as much time. But I was still disappointed.

Hats off to LMP for an excellent idea that worked out beautifully. Wonderful narrations, too.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #1029
Loki
Animated Skeleton

Loki has just left Hobbiton.
My hat goes off to Roa. She played magnificently as an evil wizard. The bluffs and double bluffs pulled were played quite well. Everything about the way she played was pulled off flawlessly. However, despite that, the "evil" side was off balance. It would have taken a great amount of luck (i.e. - The good side discovering the indentity of the evil wizard early in the game) to throw the balance otherwise. Still, she did well. Points. I don't think it could have been better-played. From now on, however, I think we should just lynch Roa on principle.

Morm-- Nice. All around, you did very, very well.

LMP-- I found the rules to have a number of flaws. Te method of implementing the hunter was, in my view, an unfair method of play in an attempt to offset the unbalanced side of evil. A good job on the narrations. Liked what you did.

Valier-- You're wierd. There was no proof that Roa was the EW. No idea how on earth you could have known that.

Props, Gurth. You played as best you could for your position. As well as Roa, I say. You simply had the odds placed unnecessarily against you.

Nilp-- I'm sick of typing out the full compliments. Suffice it only to say that you did well.

Nogrod, you did very well. Were it not in Roa's plan, you would have lived for several more days. Everyone was being unbelievably ignorant in the beginning. I can't imagine how no one had realized that he was a wolf. Mad job for playing to your crowd like that.

Directed towards no one in particular, I find that this particular game is based primarily on luck. Luck on guessing who might be the EW. And with all of the confusion from so many players, chances of a correct guess were remote. It was not entirely the vilagers fault that they lost. Though they did largely contribute to it.

Also, villagers, I found that you all played quite poorly in this game. It need not have been so poorly done on your end. It was folly to lynch me in the beginning. You allowed yourselves to be lead astray by Nogrod, and voted in a horrible way. "I voted for Loki because I found him insulting." "I voted for Loki because his style of play bothered me." "I voted for Loki because he disturbed me." These "reasons" are no better than voting for me strictly because you don't like me. And that, my friends, shows that you have failed in this game. In the future, don't be so biased and, quite frankly, stupid. Yes, that's right. I said that your decision was stupid. Not you; I said your vote. It was completely pointless.

Yes, it was true-- the first night I was chosen by both the EW and GW. Fools.

There were far too many quiet players in this game. It grossly unbalanced the gameplay. Something ought to be done about that. I have no suggestions on how to fix that.

Funny, though, how accurate I was with my predictions of evil. Nogrod, Diamond, and Roa. Strike out Diamond...

Summary: Good job, some of you. Most of the rest of you just played horribly. Maybe I'll see you in the next game. Maybe.

Always judge a book by it's cover.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #1030
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

*ksssh* A moment of static, then a voice is heard over the loudspeaker:

"Cleanup on Aisle 7. Someone's ego just exploded and whooeeeeee it made one heckuva mess."
Old 05-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #1031
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Excellent game, village- both the good and evil members thereof. I've not read the thread in its entirety (way, way, way... too many pages), but I've followed the narrations closely, and what I have is testimony to memorable game. Now, a couple of comments from a new player must be answered, methinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Also, villagers, I found that you all played quite poorly in this game. It need not have been so poorly done on your end. It was folly to lynch me in the beginning. You allowed yourselves to be lead astray by Nogrod, and voted in a horrible way. "I voted for Loki because I found him insulting." "I voted for Loki because his style of play bothered me." "I voted for Loki because he disturbed me." These "reasons" are no better than voting for me strictly because you don't like me. And that, my friends, shows that you have failed in this game. In the future, don't be so biased and, quite frankly, stupid. Yes, that's right. I said that your decision was stupid. Not you; I said your vote. It was completely pointless.
Day 1s.

Best get used to it, if you plan to keep on playing... we are a divided camp where Day 1s are concerned, and as a member of the Dislike-Day 1s camp, I can fully see voting for someone whose style of play irked me. You nail it on the head in saying that it's the same as voting for you because we don't like you. That's the name of the game on Day 1. Being charming, modest, humble, handsome is definitely the way to go on Day 1. (If that's the case though, then how have I survived? )

Quote:
There were far too many quiet players in this game. It grossly unbalanced the gameplay. Something ought to be done about that. I have no suggestions on how to fix that.
Again, get used to it... there's some in every batch. Some who can't help it (for unexpected reasons) and some who are out of habit.... the only way to deal with them is to lynch them. Pity.

Quote:
Most of the rest of you just played horribly. Maybe I'll see you in the next game. Maybe.
Further to my first response to your post... that's an excellent way to get yourself lynched there.

Now, back to talking to the lot of you in general...

I still don't fully understand this game... seems dreadfully complicated. But I have to hand it to LMP that it played out brilliantly, as well as more similarly to a regular Werewolf game than I would have expected. Kudos!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #1032
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm surprised to see how few people actually volunteered! And that Kath was among them. The others I had expected, but I thought there'd be more. Bunch of cowards we all are, not volunteering for the part.

Loki - obviously you missed something about the dynamics of this game. You say we played poorly, but you were the one lynched on Day 1. It is extremely rare for newbies to get lynched on the first Day. That means you messed up. Bad luck, yes, tis part of Day 1, but you did something wrong as well. Seriously.

The game is not all about rationale and who is the smartest or luckiest. You can be so right in your judgement and still get killed by the mob. That's why it's also about playing other people. Social skills, careful flattery, batting your eyelashes, being generally appreciated. Behaving yourself. The way you play, some might find you amusing and some may find you irritating but no one is going to want to keep you around too long. In terms of this game, that means you're a poor player.

Thanks for all stats, Elempi, though you're being a little harsh on the poor good guys. Wonderful final narrative and an overall excellent job modding. Also thanks to Boromir and Kuruharan - though neither of the wizards bothered to turn me.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:35 AM   #1033
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots I'm an absolutely horrible timezone.

Ten hours I spent online on my first two DAYs as Seer (sneaking in while working), and what does it get me?

Nothing. I miss the most important part of a game.

Anybody want to lend me enough to buy a plane ticket to a better timezone? Like, Finland, for example?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #1034
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Bah! How long 'til you learn that Eomer must be killed DAY ONE?

So sorry I had to drop out, but it all worked for the best, RL-wise. Thanks for my suicide, Elempi.

Now everyone, back to work!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #1035
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Anybody want to lend me enough to buy a plane ticket to a better timezone? Like, Finland, for example?
Maybe we could take a collection for you?

I lived to play in this game though I was rather surprised to be killed by the wolves. I usually tend to survive to the end, or die by lynching.

I was also quite surprised of so many people stating that I wouldn't be a good pick for the EW because I usually gather so much suspicion early. I've never noticed that! I'm always suspected a bit, but usually it's a clear minority that suspects me. In the mid-game I tend to get nearöy lynched, but am really lynched quite seldom.

And I really was so frustrated with Roa all the time I was alive. Positively frustrated; she didn't make me angry or anything like that. I continuosly suspected her, but as I first thought she is very probably the seer or the GW ( ) and then later when she disappeared from Gurthang's list I thought she was the new hunter. So, I never got to voice my suspicions, since there was always some suspicion of her and I feared that if I added to it, she'd be lynched. Thinking about it now, that would have been only a good thing to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Night Five
----------
hunter: (Spawn): Nilpaurion
I can very well see spawn's reasoning here, but... Am I the only one who finds this amusing?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #1036
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

First of all, to those who think that it is only non-students who have sufficient time to devote to the intricacies of being a Wizard, you have a shock awaiting you when you graduate ...

As has been shown, I did not volunteer to be a Wizard and never had any intention of doing so. It was bad enough simply trying to keep up on Day 1 and, as it was a weekend, I never really got into my stride.

Thus, I was incredibly disappointed to be killed on Night 2. Grrr! I shall never forgive Roa and her Wolves for that. I suspect that Nogrod nominated me in revenge for the last game ...

It was, perhaps, just as well though as it did mean that I had more time to devote to work and family. The most frustrating thing was that I had only just had the chance to review in more detail what had happened on Day 1, apply my mind to it and work up a bleedin' great post when I found out that I was dead. I was not expecting that as I was rather banking on the fact that the evil team might be interested in my services later in the game.

To engage in a little trumpet blowing, I had overnight worked out that Nogrod was most probably a Wolf and that the Evil Wizard was likely to be either Diamond, Fea or Roa. I suspected that the phantom might be the Good Wizard and that his advice to the GW was a way of masking it. So I got it into my head that the two opposing Wizards were TP and Fea. But Roa was most definately on my list.

As for the Loki thing, I was working on the assumption that a player chosen by both Wizards would not be told of this. That's why I misutrusted his claim. It was foolish to lynch him though, as he was either telling the truth or, if he was not, behaving too recklessly for a Wolf.

And, in the same vein, I would add to the list of mistakes by the good side. Lynching both Sleepy and Oddwen (as well as Loki) for their "suspicious" behaviour was a classic error - committed not once, not twice, but three times! Wolves rarely act that suspiciously. I have learned from experience that it's the ones who act least suspiciously that you should always fear.

Great game, though, everyone. I was disappointed to be killed so early on, but read on with interest. And greatly flattered by all the reasoning as to why I had been killed.

Kudos to lmp and his able assistants, Boro and Kuru, for an wonderfully modded game. And congratulations, I suppose, to Roa and her pack, who played an excellent game. I claim my part in the victory, by virtue of my offspring, Naria and Kitanna (not to mention my father- and sister-in law).

You are right, Celuien. Where on Arda did we go wrong with them?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #1037
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Thus, I was incredibly disappointed to be killed on Night 2. Grrr! I shall never forgive Roa and her Wolves for that. I suspect that Nogrod nominated me in revenge for the last game ...
Sorry to disappoint you, but this one you got wrong. I had a couple of nominees to kill and none of them was you. I thought you would be a good sport later in the game and wouldn't like to see you go so early. I hate wolves who kill the interesting players to begin with. That's cowardish gaming.

But the EW decides when the wolves can't agree on it...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #1038
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I must apologize to Valier because we chose her to specifically be cannon fodder. I found a point of attack the previous day and it helped to fit into my 'theory' that she was the wolf converted on the night that I was converted. I thought that this would help cover my tracks a bit. So during a discussion with Roa we decided it would be a good idea to convert her and attack her. I also gained permission to attack Alcarillo as I found it difficult to lay off him after I started my attack.

The most difficult thing about being a wolf was not knowing who are your allies. I could find suspicious things in people, Alcarillo for example, but I never knew if he was in fact a wolf until I went after him. Also I found shifting alliances was a bit difficult on the first day of conversion; I only hoped that I wouldn't be scried by Gurthang and changed back and have to shift alliances again .

SpM if it were up to me I would have left you in longer.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #1039
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I claim my part in the victory, by virtue of my offspring, Naria and Kitanna (not to mention my father- and sister-in law).

You are right, Celuien. Where on Arda did we go wrong with them?
It's all Eomer's fault, he's such a bad influence.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #1040
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dang!

And I knew as soon as I reviewed the thread the Night I died, that it was you three.

Great game all, kudos to LmP for modding it and to the evil team for the win. I apologize for my horrible game, and rest assured all future mods, I won't be playing in any more unless I somehow manage to develop into a good strategic player.

*mutters*Knew I should have gone after Kitanna the day before, knew it knew it*/mutters*

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote